What's new

Kitana Matchup Discussion Thread

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
Ok, this is assuming that once the Jade is punished a time or two she will continue doing the same tactic. No good Jade is just going to throw out glow in neutral ass range, nor is she going to continue to throw the same projectiles over and over if she’s getting punished for them.

This brings out the neutral game for both characters and Jade easily outranges Kitana, not to mention how fast her b2 is and how she can throw it out in neutral against any movement she sees Kitana going for.

It’s also difficult for Kitana to check Jade since a lot of her moves put her at a distance where a 17 frame b2 isn’t cutting it. Just because Kitana can get a lucky ass in here and there does not constitute the MU being 5-5.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Ok, this is assuming that once the Jade is punished a time or two she will continue doing the same tactic. No good Jade is just going to throw out glow in neutral ass range, nor is she going to continue to throw the same projectiles over and over if she’s getting punished for them.

This brings out the neutral game for both characters and Jade easily outranges Kitana, not to mention how fast her b2 is and how she can throw it out in neutral against any movement she sees Kitana going for.

It’s also difficult for Kitana to check Jade since a lot of her moves put her at a distance where a 17 frame b2 isn’t cutting it. Just because Kitana can get a lucky ass in here and there does not constitute the MU being 5-5.
Well once you start checking her she is gonna have to think twice before doing anything which means you can walk her to the corner easily. Kitana Can literally counter both of her main keepsway tools (air glaives and low spark. Also square boost checking anything she does is huge since she will start looking for it. Which again means she gets walked to the corner or plays neutral eventually, which Kitana Can contest imo

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Also I don't think Sub-Zero is 3-7 at all, I do think she loses to Thin Ice but not 3-7 IMO.

Her worst match-ups IMO (at least in fan-fare) are Erron Black and Sonya. Those are the only two I can see becoming 3-7 and even then I’m optimistic they aren’t just yet.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Well once you start checking her she is gonna have to think twice before doing anything which means you can walk her to the corner easily. Kitana Can literally counter both of her main keepsway tools (air glaives and low spark. Also square boost checking anything she does is huge since she will start looking for it. Which again means she gets walked to the corner or plays neutral eventually, which Kitana Can contest imo
Correct.

Just because Jade will be looking for ass doesn’t mean she won’t stop zoning. That’s her game and both variations have an answer for it. If a character hinders your main gameplay, that definitely accounts for the MU. Doesn’t matter if it’s unsafe or not.

Jade does have very good normals but people make it seem like they forget a lot of her shit are highs. B2 is amazing, but it’s a high. Kitana should be abusing d4 in the MU anyways so b2 isn’t the end all be all of things in this MU as people make it seem. Same with shadow kick; good move but a high. B3 is amazing as well but the range is kinda stubby compared to her other normals.

Fan Fare also outdamages Jade.

Not to mention that Jade is legit dead when Kitana knocks her down, since Kitana can low profile her wake ups every single time.
Also I don't think Sub-Zero is 3-7 at all, I do think she loses to Thin Ice but not 3-7 IMO.

Her worst match-ups IMO (at least in fan-fare) are Erron Black and Sonya. Those are the only two I can see becoming 3-7 and even then I’m optimistic they aren’t just yet.
I hate Cassie more than Erron tbh.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Correct.

Just because Jade will be looking for ass doesn’t mean she won’t stop zoning. That’s her game and both variations have an answer for it. If a character hinders your main gameplay, that definitely accounts for the MU. Doesn’t matter if it’s unsafe or not.

Jade does have very good normals but people make it seem like they forget a lot of her shit are highs. B2 is amazing, but it’s a high. Kitana should be abusing d4 in the MU anyways so b2 isn’t the end all be all of things in this MU as people make it seem. Same with shadow kick; good move but a high. B3 is amazing as well but the range is kinda stubby compared to her other normals.

Fan Fare also outdamages Jade.

Not to mention that Jade is legit dead when Kitana knocks her down, since Kitana can low profile her wake ups every single time.

I hate Cassie more than Erron tbh.
I actually don’t mind Cassie that much but Erron makes me cry, maybe I just hate his core design more lol

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
While I agree with nearly everything Darksydedash said, I have to agree with EMPRESS_SunFire on the Jade MU. It feels quite even to me once the Jade player stops trying to lame you out due to taking a few asses to the face
giggity

I do feel like Skarlet is a losing MU for fanservice. While you can square wave over blood trail, I feel like Skarlet doesn’t have to use it at all to keep you out.

Sub Zero is a losing MU, but I think 3-7 might be excessive. When I think 3-7, I think HQT Predator in MKX and this doesn’t feel that bad, or even as bad as MKX Sub Zero for that matter. But then, I haven’t played Pig, so maybe that’s why. :p
Yeah I'm basing sub off my matches with Pig and he agrees its super bad for Kitana if he uses the variarion with slide.

The sub player at basically any range can react to sai toss and fan toss with slide and it takes only 3 slides before he has a huge damage threat. Cancelling the stance might be good for baiting against an inexperienced Sub but all they need to see is the sai in the air. You can not trade with ice ball and if the variation has AMP ice ball the sub player can react to fans and sai tosses.

Also, his F4 is insanely strong in this MU because Kitana can't get a flawless block launch punish on it and even the single hit can whiff. So he is always at advantage.

Some stages have interactabled that you can jump off and if he throws an air axe while very close, its ssuuppeerr plus on block.

You might be saying "don't throw fans" but if Sub gets the life lead, you have to come to him and that is not a game, you want to play.

My best advice is to corner him asap, and abuse d1/4 because he doesn't have a fast enough mid option at its max range. Just remember that whiffing these buttons could be a f24 KB from him if, you get too predictable.

If sub does not have a slide, then Highborne is the way to go because it could easily be 5-5. Only reason why I don't think it is is because Sub out damages us hard.

DarksydeDash

I honestly feel like Jade is 5-5 vs Fan-Fare. Did you guys know that you can actually do square boost on reaction against her los soark? It takes a lot of practice but it’s very doable, I just think most people get really annoyed by Jade and start making a lot of mistakes, I feel like you have to play this MU extremely slow and obviously square boost is good as a check to most things she does, not to mention that you can react to her jumping into air glaive and jump back into square boost, it will trade or beat her.

Same with Skarlet, I used to think this was 4-6 but Kitana can easily use Square Boost over blood trail, in this case it’s sooo easy since blood trail is slower than Jade’s low spark. Doing empty jumps midscreen against Skarlet is also extremely good since you can react to tentacle and blood trail and punish her with square boost.

I honestly feel like both are even, I could see Jade being losing but I am optimistic on this one.
Might need to play this one. Im basing this one off Jade's super strong counter zoning options and that jumping glaive is very abusable against use. Her d4 can low profile our wakeups and we can't flawless block launch B343.

Her b2 is strong but our d4 is good check.

In the case of highborne it feels even because obviously we can shut down glow and any of her zoning options but she can do the same for us; glow beats sai toss and fan and shadow kick is huge threat to even consider throwing out a sai if Jade is close enough. Both of their damage is even too.

xKhaoTik

we can't flawless block launch B343.
So what? Flawless block and punish with 12.

Also, Highborn can sit on a life lead as well She can’t “zone” per say but she throws a projectile to bait out the glow or anything of the sort. The shadow kick isn’t a threat from afar. And if Jade has a life lead, so what? What’s she gonna do? She won’t be able to throw any projectile and she can’t glow. No matter what, Jade is going to have to play an upclose game.

Last edited:

DarksydeDash

5-5 FF, 6-4 Highborne
5-5 for both
5-5 FF, 6-4 Highborn
6-4
Currious why you think Highborne wins against Cetrion, but I see FF being 5-5 based on the damage alone. Universally we can d3 all of her wakeups.

can see FF being 5-5 v Geras but highborne's lack of damage is a problem. Also ass and tele don't punish quicksand
So what? Flawless block and punish with 12.
This is something I completely didn't consider, so thanks!

DarksydeDash

Currious why you think Highborne wins against Cetrion, but I see FF being 5-5 based on the damage alone. Universally we can d3 all of her wakeups.

can see FF being 5-5 v Geras but highborne's lack of damage is a problem. Also ass and tele don't punish quicksand

Talk to me about Shang some more.

xKhaoTik

The zoning from FF is already a problem for Cetrion, so Highborn zoning is even worse.
Then any rock gets teleported on reaction.
Air lasers already get shutdown somewhat due to the zoning but now there’s a teleport she has to watch out for on top of that.
Cetrion can use the vine whip to go under fans, but if kitana reads that and blocks, it’s gets punished anywhere on the screen.

Basically just think about what fan fare can do then add in extra zoning, less damage and a teleport.

I probably jumped the gun with highborn being 5-5 as well against Geras. You can pretty much play that match the same way as FF. Just use your air fans.

When it comes to Shang, she really doesn’t have to fear ground eruption at all. She can just block the first hit and just b2 punish. She doesn’t even have to dash most of the time. That’s one of his main tactics and she shuts that down pretty hard
Also, Shangs like to use Soul Steal in the neutral and she punishes that with ass all the time. This is one of the few matches when she score the Ass KB
So that leaves fireball against fan and she can contest with that just fine.
Then their footsies are top notch so it just comes down to who plays it better.
Kitana plays her game while shutting most of his down.

Last edited:

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
The zoning from FF is already a problem for Cetrion, so Highborn zoning is even worse.
Then any rock gets teleported on reaction.
Air lasers already get shutdown somewhat due to the zoning but now there’s a teleport she has to watch out for on top of that.
Cetrion can use the vine whip to go under fans, but if kitana reads that and blocks, it’s gets punished anywhere on the screen.

Basically just think about what fan fare can do then add in extra zoning, less damage and a teleport.

I probably jumped the gun with highborn being 5-5 as well against Geras. You can pretty much play that match the same way as FF. Just use your air fans.

When it comes to Shang, she really doesn’t have to fear ground eruption at all. She can just block the first hit and just b2 punish. She doesn’t even have to dash most of the time. That’s one of his main tactics and she shuts that down pretty hard
Also, Shangs like to use Soul Steal in the neutral and she punishes that with ass all the time. This is one of the few matches when she score the Ass KB
So that leaves fireball against fan and she can contest with that just fine.
Then their footsies are top notch so it just comes down to who plays it better.
Kitana plays her game while shutting most of his down.
I disagree on the Shang Tsung match-up, I actually feel like he might have an advantage, most good Shang players won’t even do string into ground eruption on block. Not to mention if he does d4~ground eruption at the correct range, she can’y punish It because the two sparks are closer to each other, ground eruption is super good to check her after throwing a fan, or even her trying to jump in. Corpse drop is pretty ridiculous As well and his poking, counterpoking game is extremely good.
I kinda think this might be 5-5 for her at best... I have played a lot of this MU so far but it’s still early anyway

xKhaoTik

I disagree on the Shang Tsung match-up, I actually feel like he might have an advantage, most good Shang players won’t even do string into ground eruption on block. Not to mention if he does d4~ground eruption at the correct range, she can’y punish It because the two sparks are closer to each other, ground eruption is super good to check her after throwing a fan, or even her trying to jump in. Corpse drop is pretty ridiculous As well and his poking, counterpoking game is extremely good.
I kinda think this might be 5-5 for her at best... I have played a lot of this MU so far but it’s still early anyway
I respect this. I could be biased because I haven’t lost to a Shang yet and they’re everywhere lol.

DarksydeDash

My thoughts are that the shang MU depends on the life lead because it forces the other to go in because they can't take trades. Shang's corpse drop is very good against her fans too.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
So why is it that when discussing the Shang matchup we can incorporate the Shang player playing well, but when discussing Jade, we assume they all glow at inappropriate times and walk themselves freely into the corner?

What MU experience are we even basing this on? Randoms in ranked?

xKhaoTik

So why is it that when discussing the Shang matchup we can incorporate the Shang player playing well, but when discussing Jade, we assume they all glow at inappropriate times and walk themselves freely into the corner?

I play Jade players everyday. Friends or Ranked.
I also use Jade myself and play against Kitana players, friends or ranked.

I’m very confident with that MU when I’m either character. If anyone won between Jade and Fan-Fare, it’s Jade, but I definitely will stick to Highborn beating her. I don’t think anyone can sway me to think otherwise.

And when it comes to Shang, I admitted to being biased.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord

Jade is probably my most played match-up. 3 of my friends play her... @Espio is probably the Jade that I play the most. And I run against great Jade players on Ranked a lot, including Kitana Prime.

I mean random glows aren’t even the biggest part in this. Good Jade players will glow at the right moments but the fact that Kitana can counter her two best zoning tools... on reaction is pretty huge, that leaves the Jade player doing a lot of straight glaive toss, which is her most whatever projectile. Kitana can also D4 to contest her range and she gets pressure after it hits.

Vastly

Noob
My Kitana Match-Up Info

Based on the match ups I've had these are Kitana's Match ups in my opinion. I’ll go through some of the more difficult match ups first and work my way down.

Sonya: 3.5-6.5

Sony just has so many options and her zoning is some of the best in the game so if she plays the match up lame, it really screws Kitana over. It's hard for Kitana to get in and if you use square wave to get in Sony's recovery is so quick that she can punish Kitana for it. Once Kitana gets in she has some pressure but she will give up her turn a lot to a good Sonya player who then can really mess her up with her 50/50's that lead into big damage. Kitana's damage output is decent but not great so it's hard for her to even try to catch up once Sonya gets the lead.

JADE: 3.5-6.5
I am finding that Jade, Shang, and Sub tend to be some of Kitana’s hardest Match ups. She basically counters everything that Kitana Does. He glimmer stops kitana from being able to pressure so it’s important to predict it and punish her with a square wave right as she does it so she doesn’t feel comfortable doing it constantly. Her air projectiles are great and even if you block them they push you back, as does her d4. Kitana can try to advance with her b231 combo but it isn’t very fast and Jade can poke her out of it or uppercut her out of it if she knows the match up well. Highborn is more of a 4-6 in my opinion for this match up but it’s still very difficult because the psi is still a projectile. It’s mainly the dive kick that can help you get in on her.

Erron Black: 4-6
He has some of the best neutral control in the game which forces Kitana to try to advance at the right moment or zone, and he punishes her for zoning. Luckily she does have some options, one of which being switching it up with square waves when he tries to counter zone, this only works if you are close enough to do it before he can shoot you with it and it is a risk so you can get full combo punished if you are wrong or he predicts it. He definitely controls this game and it can be a hard match up but it is possible to win it. I think If you use Kitana’s Highborn variation it’s closer to a 4.5-5.5 though because the air psi goes behind Erron’s hitbox so he can’t counter zone it and you can punish him with the dive kick.

Scorpion: 4-6

I think that Kitana definitely has some options but her advancing moves are great with distance but they aren’t exactly quick so Scorpion can punish her with teleports a lot and her air hovering doesn’t work as much due to how risky Scorpions, nearly instant, teleport is. Again Kitana can win this but it’s a difficult fight.

Cassie: 4-6

Kitana struggles with Cassie’s Digital Soldier variation. The low shot really gives Kitana a hard time because she is more of a rush down character in this game so she has a hard time against good zoners. Kitana’s Highborn can help her in some zoning battles but it isn’t very good against Cassie because her recovery is so good that she can punish the psi and the teleport kick very well. If you get into a close up fight Kitana has to be careful but it’s a better fight then when she is trying to get in.

Shang Tsung: 4-6

So far this seems like a hard match up if the Tsung plays it correctly. If they force you to constantly chase him, which you kind of have to do due to his zoning being so amazingly good, then he punishes you over and over again. It all comes down to how good the Shang is with his footsies but if he knows what he’s doing it’s a very difficult. I think it’s closer to 4.5-5.5 if you use Highborn though. Her dive kick can punish him for trying to zone to much and it also gets her in and makes it a more fair fight so I would use this variation vs Shang.

Jacqui Briggs: 4-6

Jacqui’s pressure is just too good and Kitana isn’t very fast up close. Her d1 is 8 frames and though her d3 is 7 frames it’s not as plus on block so it’s not something to throw out too often. You want to try to zone Jacqui and get as much chip as possible and it’s very important to punish her superman punch whenever possible. Getting the krushing blow uppercut into a combo can win you the game but she does so much damage it doesn’t matter how far ahead you are she can come back in an instant, which is an ability Kitana does not have. This is match up is winnable but it’s a very difficult one.

Sub Zero: 4-6
I want to start by saying that if sub uses Dead of Winter I think this is closer to 5-5. Thin Ice however really makes this difficult for Kitana. The air axe can really cause issues with her ability to control her space and advance during certain openings and the slide makes her need to rush down Sub-Zero very frustrating. If he knows his spacing this match up is a tough one and it feels a lot like a Shang Match up with the exception that he will catch you in the combo using the projectiles while sub will do it with either his projectile or punishing your advance. The footsies are roughly the same for both characters though.

Geras : 4.5 - 5.5

He definitely wins the poke game but she has solid range on her pokes and she has advancing moves that can catch him if he mistimes his abilities. She also has the fan flutter in fan fare which can allow her to dodge some of his sand traps or bait them into a punish. He still has an advantage due to his damage output and the fact that his pressure can be hard for Kitana to get out of if the Geras knows the match up well.

Cetrion: 4.5-5.5
This one is a bit weird because Spring Cleaning is 4.5-5.5 but I think Force of Nature is 4-6. Force of nature just out zones Kitana so badly. It’s very hard for her to get in and then once she does it just takes once thing to force her to start all over again. She can try to use the Square wave to get in but it’s just so damn risky and it’s so hard to overcome. Spring cleaning is still in Cetrion’s favor due to her projects constantly pushing Kitana back but both Kitan and Cetrion do equal amounts of damage so with the Spring Cleaning variation you can make up for the chip you have taken once you get in.

Skarlet: 4.5-5.5

This match up is definitely winnable but it is difficult. Highborn can really help here if you want Skarlet to feel less secure about zoning but both variations have their perks. Skarlet controls the neutral in this match and she punishes Kitana from working her way in so you should play this by staying right outside of her neutral range and using projectiles off and on from there so she doesn’t feel safe just zoning constantly, from here you try to make your way in once you have programmed her to stop pressing buttons. It’s not an easy match up but it’s winnable for sure.

Liu Kang: 4.5-5.5

This match up definitely seems winnable but Liu Kang has a bit of an edge. He can win the zoning war and up close his stagger/mix up game can be hard for Kitana since her d1 is 8 frames and her 7 frame d3 doesn’t give you much advantage. Spacing is key in this and there is a good chance Kang is going to be dealing out a lot more damage than Kitana can which is another reason it’s difficult. It’s important to be aggressive in this match up and do you best to bait/whiff punish his f43.

Johnny Cage: 5.5-4.5
Kitana can do pretty well against Johnny especially since he has hitbox issues on female characters. I think if they fix those this match up would be 5-5. He zoning is on par and her fan flutter can be used to mix him up but she does have to be careful because his standing 1 is a fantastic anti air and can catch her along with his b2.

Kabal: 5-5
I haven’t played this match up a lot but it seems fairly even. Kabal’s safety makes it a bit difficult but Kitana can get around his projectiles and mix things up with her advancing combos and her fan flutter. It seems pretty even to me so far.

Baraka: 5-5
I think this is a pretty even match up. It’s important to play safer in this match up though because Baraka just eats your health bar. If you are going to take risk make sure they are planned out, controlled chaos isn’t a good strategy against Baraka because you will not win the life game. It’s important to zone when you can and do as much chip as possible but his zoning is a bit better than hers in my opinion so it’s better to zone enough to bate his projectile so you can jump over it for a combo.

Jax: 5-5
Jax can be a tough fight for Kitana even though it’s even. Since she doesn’t have the fastest pokes he out pokes her a lot and his constant pressure can be hard for her to deal with. It’s important to zone and do as much damage as possible to make up for once he gets in on you. It’s important to be patient and block Jax otherwise he will snowball and run away with the game. Grabs are your friend in this match up as well as baiting/whiff punishing with fan flutter. Also neutral jump attacks are a good way to punish his armored wake up.

Kung Lao: 5-5
Kung Lao’s dive kick and the hitbox that comes with it can be a problem for Kitana players. This is why you can’t play this match up as aggressively as you would some of the other characters. It’s more of a passive aggressive playstyle that wins this and if you can full punish his dive kicks after black always do it so the player is less inclined to just through them out. The dive kicks can really put a pin in a lot of Kitana’s advancing strategies if they are times right. Winning the poke game with Lao is especially important as well and make sure you don’t let him bully you with his…I think it’s the forward1. It’s the fast mid that he keeps using. Poke him after it’s blocked, don’t let him keep doing it.

Raiden: 5-5
Even though I think this match up is even you still have to be extremely careful against Raiden if he is using the Thunder Wave variation because his teleport can be devastating for Kitana because her most advancing combo b2,3,1 can’t be used to stagger past the b2. It forces you to finish the combo, which I hate, and it’s a great advancing combo but it’s not very fast so if he teleports he has all day to punish you once you start. Don’t use this combo unless you know you have the frames or Raiden will blow you up all day.

Noob Saibot: 5-5
I haven’t played a ton of noobs lately but from what I have played I can say that Noob reminds of of Raiden in the sense that I think this is an even match up but his move set is almost seems built to blow up Kitana if she makes any mistakes so be careful with this one. His teleport makes it harder for Kitana to control the air at all and her advancing moves can be halted by some of Noobs shadow combos so timing is even more important in this match up because if your timing is off you are going to eat 35-40%.

Shao Khan: 6-4
A good Shao Khan can be annoying for anyone but Kitana tends to do fine in this match up. She has a lot of range on her poke game and her Fan Flutter can really be annoying for Khan if he plays aggressively, which he seems to need to do a lot of the time. Kitana also wins the zoning game if Shao just has the spear so she can chip him away.

Frost: 6-4
While some character struggle in the neutral because Frost can control it pretty damn well, Kitana has options to get around it. Kitana can keep up with zoning and overall does similar damage to Frost but her combos tend to be easier to pull off than frosts in this match up. Frost has trouble if you control the air a lot of the time so just mix things up and control the space around her and it’s a hard match up for her.

Kollector: 6-4
Kollector has definitely got some tools and like Raiden, it’s important to be careful of his teleport, but I feel like Kitana wins this match up if you play it right. Kollectors command grab is a pain but if you add a decent amount of throws in your game, Kollector will feel less secure and block more which helps you maintain pressure. Something that’s important to watch out for with Kollector is his projectile because trading with him is not worth it due to him being able to take your hit, teleport behind you, and still combo you. Also his Uppercut is fantastic so be careful with your fan flutters.

D’Vorah: 6-4
I haven’t had the opportunity to play many D’Vorah’s but when I do it definitely seems like it’s in Kitan’s favor. She can put a lot of pressure on D’vorah up close and she can win the zoning game. Kitana’s air game is really good and can be effective but D’Vorah can also punish it really well with a couple of her moves. I would zone more and move in once the D’Vorah is more nervous about pressing buttons. D’Vorah has amazing range on her moves though so it’s important to not get caught in your b2,3,1 because I think she can win that trade with her F2,2.

Kotal Khan: 6.5-3.5
This seems like a fairly easy match up for Kitana mainly because she wins the zoning game and her advancing moves still reach Kotal’s preferred spacing. Also Kitana’s ability to control the air in this match up is difficult for Kotal due to his move set lacking answers for her fan flutter mix ups. I have played a few Kotal’s and it seems like they have to try very hard to even take a round off of you.

This is the complete Kitana Match Up sheet based on my experience so far so I hope this helps anyone looking forward to learning Kitana.

And as always, be good to each other. ;)

xKhaoTik

My Kitana Match-Up Info

Based on the match ups I've had these are Kitana's Match ups in my opinion. I’ll go through some of the more difficult match ups first and work my way down.

Sonya: 3.5-6.5

Sony just has so many options and her zoning is some of the best in the game so if she plays the match up lame, it really screws Kitana over. It's hard for Kitana to get in and if you use square wave to get in Sony's recovery is so quick that she can punish Kitana for it. Once Kitana gets in she has some pressure but she will give up her turn a lot to a good Sonya player who then can really mess her up with her 50/50's that lead into big damage. Kitana's damage output is decent but not great so it's hard for her to even try to catch up once Sonya gets the lead.

JADE: 3.5-6.5
I am finding that Jade, Shang, and Sub tend to be some of Kitana’s hardest Match ups. She basically counters everything that Kitana Does. He glimmer stops kitana from being able to pressure so it’s important to predict it and punish her with a square wave right as she does it so she doesn’t feel comfortable doing it constantly. Her air projectiles are great and even if you block them they push you back, as does her d4. Kitana can try to advance with her b231 combo but it isn’t very fast and Jade can poke her out of it or uppercut her out of it if she knows the match up well. Highborn is more of a 4-6 in my opinion for this match up but it’s still very difficult because the psi is still a projectile. It’s mainly the dive kick that can help you get in on her.

Erron Black: 4-6
He has some of the best neutral control in the game which forces Kitana to try to advance at the right moment or zone, and he punishes her for zoning. Luckily she does have some options, one of which being switching it up with square waves when he tries to counter zone, this only works if you are close enough to do it before he can shoot you with it and it is a risk so you can get full combo punished if you are wrong or he predicts it. He definitely controls this game and it can be a hard match up but it is possible to win it. I think If you use Kitana’s Highborn variation it’s closer to a 4.5-5.5 though because the air psi goes behind Erron’s hitbox so he can’t counter zone it and you can punish him with the dive kick.

Scorpion: 4-6

I think that Kitana definitely has some options but her advancing moves are great with distance but they aren’t exactly quick so Scorpion can punish her with teleports a lot and her air hovering doesn’t work as much due to how risky Scorpions, nearly instant, teleport is. Again Kitana can win this but it’s a difficult fight.

Cassie: 4-6

Kitana struggles with Cassie’s Digital Soldier variation. The low shot really gives Kitana a hard time because she is more of a rush down character in this game so she has a hard time against good zoners. Kitana’s Highborn can help her in some zoning battles but it isn’t very good against Cassie because her recovery is so good that she can punish the psi and the teleport kick very well. If you get into a close up fight Kitana has to be careful but it’s a better fight then when she is trying to get in.

Shang Tsung: 4-6

So far this seems like a hard match up if the Tsung plays it correctly. If they force you to constantly chase him, which you kind of have to do due to his zoning being so amazingly good, then he punishes you over and over again. It all comes down to how good the Shang is with his footsies but if he knows what he’s doing it’s a very difficult. I think it’s closer to 4.5-5.5 if you use Highborn though. Her dive kick can punish him for trying to zone to much and it also gets her in and makes it a more fair fight so I would use this variation vs Shang.

Jacqui Briggs: 4-6

Jacqui’s pressure is just too good and Kitana isn’t very fast up close. Her d1 is 8 frames and though her d3 is 7 frames it’s not as plus on block so it’s not something to throw out too often. You want to try to zone Jacqui and get as much chip as possible and it’s very important to punish her superman punch whenever possible. Getting the krushing blow uppercut into a combo can win you the game but she does so much damage it doesn’t matter how far ahead you are she can come back in an instant, which is an ability Kitana does not have. This is match up is winnable but it’s a very difficult one.

Sub Zero: 4-6
I want to start by saying that if sub uses Dead of Winter I think this is closer to 5-5. Thin Ice however really makes this difficult for Kitana. The air axe can really cause issues with her ability to control her space and advance during certain openings and the slide makes her need to rush down Sub-Zero very frustrating. If he knows his spacing this match up is a tough one and it feels a lot like a Shang Match up with the exception that he will catch you in the combo using the projectiles while sub will do it with either his projectile or punishing your advance. The footsies are roughly the same for both characters though.

Geras : 4.5 - 5.5

He definitely wins the poke game but she has solid range on her pokes and she has advancing moves that can catch him if he mistimes his abilities. She also has the fan flutter in fan fare which can allow her to dodge some of his sand traps or bait them into a punish. He still has an advantage due to his damage output and the fact that his pressure can be hard for Kitana to get out of if the Geras knows the match up well.

Cetrion: 4.5-5.5
This one is a bit weird because Spring Cleaning is 4.5-5.5 but I think Force of Nature is 4-6. Force of nature just out zones Kitana so badly. It’s very hard for her to get in and then once she does it just takes once thing to force her to start all over again. She can try to use the Square wave to get in but it’s just so damn risky and it’s so hard to overcome. Spring cleaning is still in Cetrion’s favor due to her projects constantly pushing Kitana back but both Kitan and Cetrion do equal amounts of damage so with the Spring Cleaning variation you can make up for the chip you have taken once you get in.

Skarlet: 4.5-5.5

This match up is definitely winnable but it is difficult. Highborn can really help here if you want Skarlet to feel less secure about zoning but both variations have their perks. Skarlet controls the neutral in this match and she punishes Kitana from working her way in so you should play this by staying right outside of her neutral range and using projectiles off and on from there so she doesn’t feel safe just zoning constantly, from here you try to make your way in once you have programmed her to stop pressing buttons. It’s not an easy match up but it’s winnable for sure.

Liu Kang: 4.5-5.5

This match up definitely seems winnable but Liu Kang has a bit of an edge. He can win the zoning war and up close his stagger/mix up game can be hard for Kitana since her d1 is 8 frames and her 7 frame d3 doesn’t give you much advantage. Spacing is key in this and there is a good chance Kang is going to be dealing out a lot more damage than Kitana can which is another reason it’s difficult. It’s important to be aggressive in this match up and do you best to bait/whiff punish his f43.

Johnny Cage: 5.5-4.5
Kitana can do pretty well against Johnny especially since he has hitbox issues on female characters. I think if they fix those this match up would be 5-5. He zoning is on par and her fan flutter can be used to mix him up but she does have to be careful because his standing 1 is a fantastic anti air and can catch her along with his b2.

Kabal: 5-5
I haven’t played this match up a lot but it seems fairly even. Kabal’s safety makes it a bit difficult but Kitana can get around his projectiles and mix things up with her advancing combos and her fan flutter. It seems pretty even to me so far.

Baraka: 5-5
I think this is a pretty even match up. It’s important to play safer in this match up though because Baraka just eats your health bar. If you are going to take risk make sure they are planned out, controlled chaos isn’t a good strategy against Baraka because you will not win the life game. It’s important to zone when you can and do as much chip as possible but his zoning is a bit better than hers in my opinion so it’s better to zone enough to bate his projectile so you can jump over it for a combo.

Jax: 5-5
Jax can be a tough fight for Kitana even though it’s even. Since she doesn’t have the fastest pokes he out pokes her a lot and his constant pressure can be hard for her to deal with. It’s important to zone and do as much damage as possible to make up for once he gets in on you. It’s important to be patient and block Jax otherwise he will snowball and run away with the game. Grabs are your friend in this match up as well as baiting/whiff punishing with fan flutter. Also neutral jump attacks are a good way to punish his armored wake up.

Kung Lao: 5-5
Kung Lao’s dive kick and the hitbox that comes with it can be a problem for Kitana players. This is why you can’t play this match up as aggressively as you would some of the other characters. It’s more of a passive aggressive playstyle that wins this and if you can full punish his dive kicks after black always do it so the player is less inclined to just through them out. The dive kicks can really put a pin in a lot of Kitana’s advancing strategies if they are times right. Winning the poke game with Lao is especially important as well and make sure you don’t let him bully you with his…I think it’s the forward1. It’s the fast mid that he keeps using. Poke him after it’s blocked, don’t let him keep doing it.

Raiden: 5-5
Even though I think this match up is even you still have to be extremely careful against Raiden if he is using the Thunder Wave variation because his teleport can be devastating for Kitana because her most advancing combo b2,3,1 can’t be used to stagger past the b2. It forces you to finish the combo, which I hate, and it’s a great advancing combo but it’s not very fast so if he teleports he has all day to punish you once you start. Don’t use this combo unless you know you have the frames or Raiden will blow you up all day.

Noob Saibot: 5-5
I haven’t played a ton of noobs lately but from what I have played I can say that Noob reminds of of Raiden in the sense that I think this is an even match up but his move set is almost seems built to blow up Kitana if she makes any mistakes so be careful with this one. His teleport makes it harder for Kitana to control the air at all and her advancing moves can be halted by some of Noobs shadow combos so timing is even more important in this match up because if your timing is off you are going to eat 35-40%.

Shao Khan: 6-4
A good Shao Khan can be annoying for anyone but Kitana tends to do fine in this match up. She has a lot of range on her poke game and her Fan Flutter can really be annoying for Khan if he plays aggressively, which he seems to need to do a lot of the time. Kitana also wins the zoning game if Shao just has the spear so she can chip him away.

Frost: 6-4
While some character struggle in the neutral because Frost can control it pretty damn well, Kitana has options to get around it. Kitana can keep up with zoning and overall does similar damage to Frost but her combos tend to be easier to pull off than frosts in this match up. Frost has trouble if you control the air a lot of the time so just mix things up and control the space around her and it’s a hard match up for her.

Kollector: 6-4
Kollector has definitely got some tools and like Raiden, it’s important to be careful of his teleport, but I feel like Kitana wins this match up if you play it right. Kollectors command grab is a pain but if you add a decent amount of throws in your game, Kollector will feel less secure and block more which helps you maintain pressure. Something that’s important to watch out for with Kollector is his projectile because trading with him is not worth it due to him being able to take your hit, teleport behind you, and still combo you. Also his Uppercut is fantastic so be careful with your fan flutters.

D’Vorah: 6-4
I haven’t had the opportunity to play many D’Vorah’s but when I do it definitely seems like it’s in Kitan’s favor. She can put a lot of pressure on D’vorah up close and she can win the zoning game. Kitana’s air game is really good and can be effective but D’Vorah can also punish it really well with a couple of her moves. I would zone more and move in once the D’Vorah is more nervous about pressing buttons. D’Vorah has amazing range on her moves though so it’s important to not get caught in your b2,3,1 because I think she can win that trade with her F2,2.

Kotal Khan: 6.5-3.5
This seems like a fairly easy match up for Kitana mainly because she wins the zoning game and her advancing moves still reach Kotal’s preferred spacing. Also Kitana’s ability to control the air in this match up is difficult for Kotal due to his move set lacking answers for her fan flutter mix ups. I have played a few Kotal’s and it seems like they have to try very hard to even take a round off of you.

This is the complete Kitana Match Up sheet based on my experience so far so I hope this helps anyone looking forward to learning Kitana.

And as always, be good to each other. ;)
You know, I was going to disagree with a lot of this, but it seems like you guys have an agenda to get her buffed. I’m all for buffs lol.

Have at it.