What's new

Kitana Matchup Discussion Thread

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Sonya’s restand is +12?!
It can be. It's anywhere from +10-+12 depending on what string she uses. I use b3u4~bf1 to deal a nice chunk of damage and it ends with a +12 restand. She can follow up with another b3 that the opponent has to hold; they can't walk back, back-dash, jump out, or poke out. I believe FB is the only way out.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
I mean if Geras is 5-5 then who exactly does Kitana struggle against?

Sure you can try zonning him, but once he is in, his buttons are pretty quick.
Geras does not beat kitana and her hitbox is an issue for him. His pokes are better tho

Anyone know if kitana still low profiles geras f212 string.

Also, it seems Cassie, erron got some needs. Erron more significantly. Do y'all think kitana is on even footing with them now?

Also @DarksydeDash against sub zero does is fans work vs slide or how does that interact? I feel like both of you suffer from no pressure full screen. Up close is he that much more in control or mid range?

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.

Also, it seems Cassie, erron got some needs. Erron more significantly. Do y'all think kitana is on even footing with them now?

Also @DarksydeDash against sub zero does is fans work vs slide or how does that interact? I feel like both of you suffer from no pressure full screen. Up close is he that much more in control or mid range?
fullscreen comes down to whoever gets the life lead. But even if Kitana does have it, sub gets in for free. Kitana cant even punish F4 even when she flawless blocks, sub's 6 frame, d1 beats everything she does, can't compete against his d4 because we lack the range to poke back. This is literally why erron's scudshot cancels bodied her because it puts us at the distance where none of our normals can reach except a 17 frame mid in which case we have to jump on a read. Problem with that is sub's b2 anti air beats even our float mind games. In highborne its even worse because his slide shuts down sais because they don't track his slide well.

I will say against Cassie, our projectile parry makes it so we win the zoning game. This could be 5-5 now. Erron still destroys fanfare but highborne might be 5-5 now. Geras as far as I can tell is 5-5 still. Sonya.. Needs some testing.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord

She still does.

Post patch any change for match ups? Mostly highborn but curious bout fanfare too.

I keep wanting to test erron black but he just doesn't exist anymore. I know he got nerfed but I didn't think it was that bad.

Cassie has felt a lot more manageable for sure since she can't quadruple stagger anymore with her up kick and we can contest f4 on block now.

Also curious about the new flavor of the months like Frost, Seeing Double, and night wolf.

DarksydeDash

Post patch any change for match ups? Mostly highborn but curious bout fanfare too.

I keep wanting to test erron black but he just doesn't exist anymore. I know he got nerfed but I didn't think it was that bad.

Cassie has felt a lot more manageable for sure since she can't quadruple stagger anymore with her up kick and we can contest f4 on block now.

Also curious about the new flavor of the months like Frost, Seeing Double, and night wolf.
I can definitely say we don't lose to Erron anymore. It feels 5-5 for both variations because his safe cancels are gone. If he has no meter, he gets punished, if he does, you can d3 option select to low profile the AMP gun shot. All other MU tech still applies as well, such as D3 in between his F32 or Sai Toss ignoring Scud Shot.

Sub-Zero in Highborne feels 5-5 but fanfare still probably loses.

I'm convinced we body skarlet now, especially with her teleport getting nerfed so that might be a 6-4 our favor.

I will say that Jaded Jade is quite a problem because she ignores our neutral game and the jailing plus frames using AMP Pole Vault makes her B3434 a lot more of a threat.

Kollector needs more experimenting, but so far it feels 5-5.

I'd say Sonya is still a loss because safe 50/50s, better zoning, and her "nerfs" were just a slap on the wrist.

Raijin Raiden now gets more damage, however, his ability to punish all of our strings with discharge is gone since it is now 6 frames instead of 4. Don't dismiss him though, he can still punish all of our pokes and our strings give him discharge for free.

D'vorah now feels even since she actually hits hard and has a scare throw game now.

My initial impressions of the Nightwolf MU are that it is a 5-5. We out space him but we can not zone him. Even the sai toss in Highborne gets reflected but it doesn't come back down. Throwing Sais in neutral is dangerous because if he sees the stance, he can potentially get a Rhino Charge KB on us. Luckily he can't anti air very well so we an really bully him with just ins.

So problem character watch list is reduced to
Sonya
Maybe arachnophobia?

For now? That's pretty good, I don't mind having to win a lot of 5 5 match up.

DarksydeDash

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/467778529?filter=archives&sort=time

At 35min and 55min.
First Highborn tournament. Got killed by Sonya twice. I know I'm missing a bunch of anti airs for sure so any advice would be nice thanks yall.
The amount of D3s you ate is absurd. Kitana's pokes are pretty bad so generous if someone pokes, you wanna just take your turn back with B13/B14.

I also saw that you were not incorporating stance cancels or getting extra damage off AMP Tele. You don't really have a reason to save offense bar so take the damage where you can get it.

Also once they are conditioned to block after razors on hit, just walk at them, walk back, and then either walk up for a grab or swing with B1/2 to shimmy them hard.

Don't forget about your good stagers with B2, B1, B13, S1, and B321D2 to catch them sleeping.

Otherwise you played played very well. In the sonya MU, she doesn't really have a good mid to contest our range or our pokes and from fullscreen you can just sit there in stance and just react to a projectile she shoots.

Last thing I want to mention is that Sai Toss will jail into fan toss about just outside midscreen. So with this in mind, you can use Sai toss to set up the shimmy game or the frame trap of B231; the only way out is to fatal blow and even then the timing is tight.

Last edited:

gitblame

Noob
Liu Kang seems a big problem for me right now. Like remember when Liu Kang players complained that Kitana can make his F43 whiff? Yeah he can do the same with B14 and B231. When you do B231 on him on block, the 3rd hit in sequence whiffs and he can parry or flawless block 4rd hit for full punish. He can make easily B14 whiff by blocking first hit standing, second crouching then releasing block. 3rd hit whiffs.

I think vs Liu Kang who knows this matchup we will need to cancel B231 on block into edenian razors after 2nd hit to be safe. I think with some practice it will be possible to block confirm b231 to cancel it sooner. Also B1 into edenian razors might be good answer for him trying to make B14 whiff.
Fan-fare is kinda screwed in this matchup XD

@DarksydeDash I tried to b1 after pokes but was getting hit by the double. After some labe I found I need to D1 now.

Any advice for anti air? I can react and read the jumps constantly but just don't know how to judge what buttons to use for anti air distances and timing. I only know d3 is good vs cross up.

Also what are good buttons after a walk back b1?

I need to b13 I always forget it's an option.

I tried stance vs Sonya but tres playstyle is very aggressively moving forward a lot, is it best to react with a 1 or cancel there?

Thanks

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
@DarksydeDash I tried to b1 after pokes but was getting hit by the double. After some labe I found I need to D1 now.

Any advice for anti air? I can react and read the jumps constantly but just don't know how to judge what buttons to use for anti air distances and timing. I only know d3 is good vs cross up.

Also what are good buttons after a walk back b1?

I need to b13 I always forget it's an option.

I tried stance vs Sonya but tres playstyle is very aggressively moving forward a lot, is it best to react with a 1 or cancel there?

Thanks
If your opponent has an average jump normal use d3 or s1. If they have great jump normals or just abuses jump kicks AAwith d2, don't even bother with d3 against good jump kicks lol.

B131 is her best stagger free, your life will get better when you use it!

@AK Harold I’d also like to say that you can blow up Sonya for doing MB Ring in your face with S1. Also, try to incorporate more grabs, cancels, staggers, and jump 3’s in your gameplay. In that set, everyone was content with letting you continue after your B231, so if you were to cancel after it, stagger, or even razor/cancel after the low in B231, you would’ve definitely had more of an advantage in your matches.

Edit: Also after every KB that doesnt combo extend means a free sai toss. Try to zone a bit more with that and fan toss so that when sonya tries to contest your zoning with her own, you can teleport on reaction. You would try to teleport on reaction at times, but you weren’t really zoning enough so that they use their own zoning tools as well.

Last edited:
@DarksydeDash I tried stance vs Sonya but tres playstyle is very aggressively moving forward a lot, is it best to react with a 1 or cancel there?
If you’re not conditioning your opponent to take a sai stab OB and randomly go for a cancel, you most likely will get hit out it. It’s best to give up your turn once or twice early on with sai stab and special cancel into razors before you decide to sai stance cancel. If they’re poking you out of the cancel what you can do is hold the sai stab for about a second and go into sai stab so you catch them off guard with your timing and make them respect.

Hope this helps.

Yeah thanks everyone for the input, like I said I just started using her so I have no knowledge outside of just the pressure and some combos. I need to see how y'all set up sais. Vids plz.

DarksydeDash

Yeah thanks everyone for the input, like I said I just started using her so I have no knowledge outside of just the pressure and some combos. I need to see how y'all set up sais. Vids plz.
We can play anytime you're available if you wanna see how I play Highborne.