What's new

Kitana General Discussion

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Foxy claims she is high mid tier. LOL.

REO and I invited him on the podcast so he will explain his claim when he returns from the event in Ukraine.
I was watching the stream last night, and was arguing with him. He has never said why she's good other than "razors has always sucked."

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
I love foxy and all, but he’s the same person who said piercing Mileena wasn’t good after her “nerf”. We all know how that turned out.

so yea, take it with a grain of salt
Don’t forget how he also said Wonder Woman was Injustice’s Kabal lol

Malec

Noob
Hi, I am running Half Blood Stance and Low Fan atm, I haven't played Kitana for a long time and I am not used to HBS. what are good ways to setup her HBS sais? The only one I can think of is after her combos like b231~lift, jump2x2, 1,2~low fan that leaves you at +46 to get a sai out. Are there any other ways to setup sais?

Last edited:

DarksydeDash

Hi, I am running Half Blood Stance and Low Fan atm, I haven't played Kitana for a long time and I am not used to HBS. what are good ways to setup her HBS sais? The only one I can think of is after her combos like b231~lift, jump2x2, 1,2~low fan that leaves you at +46 to get a sai out. Are there any other ways to setup sais?
You honestly can't anymore do to the wakeup change so just use it as a zoning tool.

Malec

Noob
You honestly can't anymore do to the wakeup change so just use it as a zoning tool.
Is HBS even worth it then? I kinda like it for the gutted after blocked strings, so they just dont mash pokes everytime and teleport for anti zoning ofc. But I am not sure if ground war and flutter would be better.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Imagine a world where Kitana moved around the map like Mileena. I don't think the world is ready, but I am.

On a more serious note, I really enjoy playing this version of Kitana. Jump kick air fan combos even if tight are still so satisfying to do (downward air fan).

Being able to anti-zone with downward fan against characters with low projectiles or ones that are grounded is really satisfying because it allows Kitana to more effectively deal with characters that might have anti-zoned her otherwise.

DarksydeDash

Is HBS even worth it then? I kinda like it for the gutted after blocked strings, so they just dont mash pokes everytime and teleport for anti zoning ofc. But I am not sure if ground war and flutter would be better.
oh yes, you use it as anti zoning and for zoning frame traps/ set up offensive. If you have ground war equipped, an amp teleport is now 17% and sends them fullscreen.

Malec

Noob
Oh man, I thought string into HBS gutted was a real blockstring, but the only one you cant interrupt is b231~HBS gutted.

HBS gets less and less appealing, the more I use it :/

I really enjoy playing this version of Kitana. Jump kick air fan combos even if tight are still so satisfying to do (downward air fan).

Being able to anti-zone with downward fan against characters with low projectiles or ones that are grounded is really satisfying because it allows Kitana to more effectively deal with characters that might have anti-zoned her otherwise.
Yeah, my current variation for Kitana is downard air fan, ground war, and low fan. It seems to be the best version of Fan-Fare i can find. I also have a Mileena that i use in matches where we’re going to play closer up, or i need a teleport. They seem to cover most of my bad matchups well

DarksydeDash

I think if you're gonna use the parry, you need low fan. Getting that damage boost makes taking the damage well worth it.

cannoli_kahn

Avid Devs Hater
Imagine a world where Kitana moved around the map like Mileena. I don't think the world is ready, but I am.
You can do that with advanced fan flutter. It’s not the most win securing variation but it def is very fun albeit hard af to execute. It’s pretty much my primary Kitana variation this season and it annoyed a lot of people who never fought against it before, even won against an Upgraded Jacqui and it’s super good to avoid Sub’s 50/50 when ur in the air all the time. I’ve been wishing for it as a variation since earlier this year so I kinda got a head start at playing it well. It’s still hard to pull off all the time but it’s her most fun move. I use it along with piercing dagger (air downward fan toss).

xWildx

I really don’t understand how y’all can use Piercing Dagger, lol. That move is so insanely punishable... I just can’t. Yes, I’m aware it’s safe if you spend meter. That being said, Jade, Kabal, Sub-Zero (for God’s sake) wave hello.

I’m just sticking to HBS and Low Fan/Ground War until the patch after the “customs” patch comes out.

gitblame

Noob
I really don’t understand how y’all can use Piercing Dagger, lol. That move is so insanely punishable... I just can’t. Yes, I’m aware it’s safe if you spend meter. That being said, Jade, Kabal, Sub-Zero (for God’s sake) wave hello.

I’m just sticking to HBS and Low Fan/Ground War until the patch after the “customs” patch comes out.
Yeah, but if you think about it. What else are you going to use meter for when you play Kitana with air dashes and piercing dagger? You can just spend it all for meter burn piercing dagger to always be safe or even plus. When I play this variation I never feel like I don't have meter. All combos are meterless.

I haven't tested it yet but it seems air dashes got nice fix. According to patch notes.
  • Kitana - Jump Attacks from (Air) Retreating Fan Flutter & Advancing Fan Flutter will now autoface the opponent

xWildx

Yeah, but if you think about it. What else are you going to use meter for when you play Kitana with air dashes and piercing dagger? You can just spend it all for meter burn piercing dagger to always be safe or even plus. When I play this variation I never feel like I don't have meter. All combos are meterless.

I haven't tested it yet but it seems air dashes got nice fix. According to patch notes.
  • Kitana - Jump Attacks from (Air) Retreating Fan Flutter & Advancing Fan Flutter will now autoface the opponent
I mean, sure, but having to spend a bar just to be safe when all these other characters are safe regardless is frustrating. Meanwhile, the same read (for a bar) using HBS nets you a combo anywhere on screen if you have Ground War equipped and you can confirm into it.

I’ve seen posts calling out HBS for not allowing you to safely cancel into her stab off a block string... but why are you even doing that? B131 and B142 should be your main strings and staggers and they don’t rely on cancels. If you’re not trying to punish a HBS cancel or go into a combo I don’t even see why you’d go for the stab in the first place.

This is all apples to oranges anyway. Kitana has drawn the short end of the stick and we’re just trying to make it work, lol. If Piercing Dagger is more comfortable for you then, by all means, feel free .

gitblame

Noob
I mean, sure, but having to spend a bar just to be safe when all these other characters are safe regardless is frustrating.
Yeah, but those other characters can have an argument that Kitana having 27-30% meterless combos while others have to spend a bar for less damage is also frustrating.

dph1990

Noob
Literally dropped her overnight because of the Upwards Fan Toss nerf. Float, up fan, ground war: super fun in a game that feels like it actively doesn’t want you to have fun, actually feels like traditional kitana and only got you something like 4% extra damage midscreen. It just doesn’t make any sense to me, and I find it so frustrating I just dropped her. I hope whoever made that decision steps on Lego.

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
So what are Kitana’s best offensive custom moves besides razors (I don’t like giving up Lift)? Are Flutters actually good for pressure or is that a gimmick?

I know she isn’t Jacqui but I’d like a loadout that either gives her some more options up close, deals well with wake ups, or at least gives her some ways in. Kitana is one of my favorite characters but I want to do more than toss fans.

DarksydeDash

So what are Kitana’s best offensive custom moves besides razors (I don’t like giving up Lift)? Are Flutters actually good for pressure or is that a gimmick?

I know she isn’t Jacqui but I’d like a loadout that either gives her some more options up close, deals well with wake ups, or at least gives her some ways in. Kitana is one of my favorite characters but I want to do more than toss fans.
Razors is now one of her worst moves.

She is not offensive at all. You must zone with her so pick ground war, low fan, and then your choice of parry, up fan, or air down fan.

You can also go half blood stance and low fan.