What's new

Kitana General Discussion

gibster13

A fan of fans
I’ve played kitana for expletive years, her fans are her coreeeee
Playing her without fan combos feels so strange to me and less fun.

——-
It’s probs because I was wanting mkx style fam combos, which were soooo fun to pull off and convert with fans.
—————-
Love her look and style but I need fan combos. Even if they just dmg nerf her (not her fans tho) just to keep the fan combo and fluidity.
—————

She feels alien to me right now and I’m not liking it.

If fan lift was tournament legal with the sai, id be a happy man.

I think she'd be in a better spot if they made more variations tourney legal. Her combos are too short and it's definitely foreign not being able to throw the fans in.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
Guys this may sound weird, but I think her sai variation may be her best option right now. I used it a lot today and the results are pretty good.
This may be true from a game play perspective, but for a Kitana purist like me, this variation is a disappointment and a waste of space like Mournful. Why give Kitana Mileena's moves??? There is nothing in the storyline to say why (quite the opposite).

I think they should have just made this a custom variation move. I think that would be fan service rather than one half of Kitana's variations being a half arsed Mileena.

Anyhoo ... rant over :p

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
OK so I am hoping that custom variations will become legal.

Just been playing around with low fan, ground square wave and Fan Nado (kinda like the Royal Storm one) and she is really fun and feels way more complete!

Love love!

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
He is referring to her fan being -1 on hit now
Guys this may sound weird, but I think her sai variation may be her best option right now. I used it a lot today and the results are pretty good.

Sai cancels are legit. None are plus but a majority of them are safe. 12 sai cancel is nasty. It costs a bar but you gain it back quick. Mixing it up with throws or gutted is a nasty mind game.

Sai throw is better than you think, especially when you mix it up with fans. Very good on oki as well. The best setup I have so far is after a fan toss in combos. Her knockdowns don’t provide enough advantage to set up a sai throw safely up close.

Her Edenian razors are annoying to deal with. Safe at -6 but I found a way to make it even more safe..all the way up to +10. We all know you can hold it but if you hold it long enough during strings or oki, and let it go just as it’s about to hit, you would’ve already recovered just as they block it and the most I’ve gotten up to is +10, which jails into S1. Trying to figure out a way to utilize this more because +10 is a VERY big deal.

The damage is obviously weaker but it more than makes up for it with her staggers, cancels and pressure.
I noticed the +frames on razor delay yesterday but Im just having a hard time with the sai tracking... It kinda blows... Plus I REALLY like the projectile absorb and fan buff from her first variation.

I just wish I could substitute something for her ground fan

gam224

The world's least hype player
I did some work in the lab with anti airs. D1 works from a distance and as an anti cross up. Immediately cancel it into lift and you can get a single jp into a string.

7L

Heads up!
I did some work in the lab with anti airs. D1 works from a distance and as an anti cross up. Immediately cancel it into lift and you can get a single jp into a string.
You're gonna eat Jump in kicks all day if you try to d1 as an anti air

Let's see .... she lost combo potential, she's easily outzoned by pretty much half of the cast , cause of her shitty fan toss recovery ( Skarlet, Baraka, Sonya , Liu Kang ... ) .. What is that she gained ? Maybe those buffs look nice on paper , but those are useless without her being able to confirm via fan toss, lift ... from a character that was '' combo queen '' given , she lost lot of her charm , and it's not her anymore. Hopefully , they'll fix that up in some of the next patches .

Patience is a virtue, we' ll see ....

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
Let's see .... she lost combo potential, she's easily outzoned by pretty much half of the cast , cause of her shitty fan toss recovery ( Skarlet, Baraka, Sonya , Liu Kang ... ) .. What is that she gained ? Maybe those buffs look nice on paper , but those are useless without her being able to confirm via fan toss, lift ... from a character that was '' combo queen '' given , she lost lot of her charm , and it's not her anymore. Hopefully , they'll fix that up in some of the next patches .

Patience is a virtue, we' ll see ....
Her projectile absorb helps a lot with those matchups

Her projectile absorb helps a lot with those matchups
Thnx for an advise ... it's not just about effectiveness, I mean she's viable and all ...it's about visual appeal and fluidity of her strings , which is endangered with this patch ... I love to enjoy my gameplay . She's stuck with repetitive short strings, etc ... I'll try to be more positive , suppose it's too early to judge . A lot of stuff could change :)

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
My 2 cents:

Kitana has traditionally been a character you just don’t go into the air against. “She rules the air” has been the rule of thumb. I feel like this isn’t the case anymore. Without the threat of air fan conversions, people just aren’t as threatened as they used to be when jumping in on her. Eat a fan? No big deal. Add to that the loss of rising fans and she lost a reliable anti-air that also lead to conversions. Imo, she shouldn’t have a good anti-air normal — because the opponent shouldn’t be in the air in the first place.

gibster13

A fan of fans
fucckkkk I just don't like how she plays and it hurts me, I want them to change it

Also, why is exfan (second fan) a mid ?????

Edit

Why isn’t it a mid*

Last edited:
Found a crazy corner combo with Kitana with b+1 4 fan lift ji2 2 1 df2 it also does krushing blow for a good amount of damage.

Last edited: