What's new

Kitana General Discussion

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
I’m ok with losing that and a bit of damage while gaining safety, honestly I think they handled her very well.
I think people are having knee jerk reactions and haven't taken a look the entire roster when evaluating Kitana.

I think Kitana is pretty well off right now and her strings becoming safe was very nice.

Last edited:

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Jeez. Back to this again, are we? :(

What’s your thoughts on her as a whole, Khao? I respect your opinion on Kitana more than anyone else here.
Well, short version is we shouldn’t even call her Kitana anymore because this isn’t her at all lol. She plays so different. I don’t recognize this character, but I do like her.

Long version: This Kitana doesn’t play like the “Kitana” we all know. We’re so used to controlling the air, converting from anywhere on the screen, unbreakables, fan juggles, etc. That’s pretty much been her thing since forever. She doesn’t have any of that in this game and it’s a bummer. There’s really no reason to fear her zoning this time around because she can’t convert from a fan. I’ve had people jump into a fan and the most I’ve got from full screen is another fan toss, which just knocks them down. Can’t even throw an iaf to convert from a ground fan.
Her lift is pretty different this time too since it has like no range. I’m used to it being a footsie tool (royal storm).
It’s like all the key aspects to Kitana in the last games are gone, and she’s a brand new character. She can still zone and stuff but it’s not what we’re used to.

But even with all of that, I really like her. Her ground game is fantastic (puns). She’s super safe and can use staggers very effectively, especially when coupled with her sai variation. Pokes are legit and she has some decent AAs. Her damage is still pretty good.

I wish she had her fan combos back tho. I don’t get why they nerfed it.

ShadyHeart

Relationship with Sonya ended
It seems nobody has mentioned it or noticed yet so I might as well point it out. They seem to have forgotten to nerf up fans so they are probably identical to her pre-nerf fan in the corner and they can be used in combos mid screen.

Mandatory ability basically.

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
It seems nobody has mentioned it or noticed yet so I might as well point it out. They seem to have forgotten to nerf up fans so they are probably identical to her pre-nerf fan in the corner and they can be used in combos mid screen.

Up fans? I'm assuming you're talking about a non tournament variation move

Reactions: 7L

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
Glad I’m not crazy for thinking this doesn’t feel like Kitana much at all. Not saying she’s bad, just that she’s so different that it’s hard for me to wrap my mind around her gameplan. So far I do best with just full-out offense, but I think a lot of that early success is people not knowing the matchup.

armani

Noob
much like everyone else in this thread I am 100000000000% in agreement that she either needs heavy tweaking to her current moveset, an added string or two for combos, faster recovery on fans, lol something cause she does not feel like the kitana that we know. I understand that MK9 is different than MKX which is different than MK11 but it makes no sense that she feels so limited. as far as viability goes I'm unsure how good she is yet. still labbing her.

looking at shao kahn and noob saibot combo threads makes me shed a tear lol

now I must say - having edenian twist, upfan, and ground war make for a pretty cool kitana in practice mode due strictly to "combo-ability" I just wish the kb requirement for edenian twist was different so that I'd have a higher chance of getting some swaggy combos.

John_NX

Your circumstances are dire!
I agree with everyone here, not only is she very limited at the moment but there isn't also anything that she seems good at.
Zoning? Meh
Neutral? Meh
Mixups? Almost non existent (please correct me if I'm wrong)
The only good thing I see from her is the damage out put.

Primiera

Wonderful Woman
All she really has is float and very slightly above average hit-confirm strings. She's bottom 1/3 of the cast for zoning, her overhead/low game is very limited, and honestly her damage is nothing special. It's hard to win with her in a unique way that you couldn't have won with any other character.

That's really the shame about her. She's been turned into as generic an MK character as possible. Like we're playing a character with NO variation moves equipped, just the baseline a character should have before they get their dirt/good stuff. Like we're playing a story NPC xd

Walk back and forth, whiff punish with b231 or b14, hope you hit. If they block, restart string, continue string or throw. Standard universal stuff. That's Kitana. No IA fans controlling diagonal space, no long ass combos, no huge damage. Just walk and do one of two strings, with the occasional jumping/float mix-up and EX fan to pretend you have a projectile.

Last edited:

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
I honestly think some people are blinded because as Khaotik said... she is a completely different character! She plays very different and people are judging her by that, which is a problem IMO.

People are asking for her to have huge conversions full screen but in this game that would probably be way too much, like it would have made sense with her pre-hotfix frame data but right now that would make her extremely strong IMO, I think she is perfect right now (so far), she is like a jack of all trades. Decent zoning, good staggers, decent damage, decent AAs, her krushing blows are actually extremely good since you can literally get all of them in one match with the exception of the square boost one so she gets a loooot of damage from that, her wake-ups are good and her pokes are good, her neutral game is very good.
I don’t think she needs anything. Would I like her to excel at zoning, full screen conversions? YEAH, absolutely! But that Kitana would be playing another game, not MK11

Last edited:
Hey people, sorry for bringing a little bit of bad news for our Edenian princess, but I strongly believe that her u2 after a flawless block is...not that good. In this video you can see an example of how she cannot punish Sub-Zero's f4 with flawless guard u2. She also cannot punish Kabal's f3(6f advantage). The only other characters in the game that cannot punish Sub-Zero's f4 are - Liu Kang, Jade and Skarlet.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Just wanna say, up fan needs to be in a variation soon. As you can guess, this is the special that makes her play like klassic Kitana and that includes fan combos with small air convertions.

MkPeezy

Unicorn Papi
I just wish her fan had faster start up and recovery, I don't even care about the on hit frames keep it how it is. I just hate playing the use to be princess of zoning but now is a generic character with a fireball. Characters that were never known for zoning have way better keep out than her and it hurts my heart lol

I don't like how you need to jump in order to do her Square Wave attack in this game. It wasn't like that in MK9 and MKX.

dph1990

Noob
I agree that Up Fan is pretty much obligatory if you want to feel like you’re, y’know, playing Kitana.

I’m probably giving NRS too much credit because they couldn’t balance a game if their life depended on it, but maybe that’s the intention? Fan toss is a standard projectile, Up Fan is where you go for Kitana fan juggle gameplay. The move controls the air well, hits mid, and you can land 2 in a corner combo so I’m having a blast with it...the problem is it’s NOT IN A TOURNAMENT VARIATION. So, I won’t be playing ranked ever I guess. Either revert Fan Toss or at LEAST keep Up Fan how it is and put it in her ranked variations. Annoying af.

dph1990

Noob
Also while I’m having a whinge, I love the Edenian Twist move but the KB requirement for it is one of the dumbest things I’ve found in the game so far. Your FB has to be on cooldown, so I have to deliberately miss my comeback mechanic to gain access to another comeback mechanic that’s super unsafe and so requires a super lucky YOLO hit or combo-ing into when I’m already at 30% health? Sure, NRS. Given her fan toss was nerfed I don’t see why the KB on Edenian Twist can’t be a counter hit or something. I love this game but some of it makes me pretty confused!

"Walk back and forth, whiff punish with b231 or b14, hope you hit. If they block, restart string, continue string or throw. Standard universal stuff. That's Kitana. "

Yes but not everybody like this kind of footsies/whiff punishing, stagger pressure game. I do to be honest so I will try her. :D
And to be honest there are several "similar mentality" characters in the game so maybe that is not coincidence - and game offers different characters for the similar playstyle to cover any personal preference. :)

Which version do you prefer?

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
I think there's some things that are questionable, but I like both of her variations. lol. Starting to actually look more into the sais. To me she feels like a poking & whiff punishing character with good mix potential with sais while the other is raw damage.

gibster13

A fan of fans
Think I’m going crazy

Everyone in a TYM thread agreeing on something !?

The reason I love her is the fans and conversions from it.

I hate the input for IAFan too cuz for some reason short hop is a thing

Blizer

Cheap Kollector Rip Off
I just think her fan toss needs to be 0 or like +1 on hit

thats pretty much all she needs in terms of buffs atm