What's new

Strategy - Kitana Kitana General Discussion/Strategies

Status
Not open for further replies.

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
If the devs listen to him we don't get our buffs and we really need something like it's a struggle already she literally dies to anyone who is safe and has ways around zoning

It is worrisome because casuals listen to him like everything he says is gospel. We know what's up, but we are few and they are many.
This.

The stream chat was pretty much agreeing with him / yadda yadda yadda. I wanted to speak up and say something about the issues she faces, ect. but I know I would of got blown up by both the stream chat and tom, and my points would of been dismissed, so I didn't bother.

Last edited:

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
If the devs listen to him we don't get our buffs and we really need something like it's a struggle already she literally dies to anyone who is safe and has ways around zoning
You make a good point but she most likely wont receieve any substantial buffs due to her damage and well, NRS lol.

I still cant believe she made it through testing and that no one stands up to Tom. He is lying and/or has dementia.

KakashiKopyKat

HA! GOT EM
I was watching his stream and he said Kitana players think they can play her like they did in MK9 and need to learn how to play better footsies . Bruh we got moves like d1 -10 on block . The chat agreed w damn near everything he said but ppl are just on the outside looking in. They dont feel our pain:(

cirkusfreaksho

All in a day's work
I somehow can't do shit with Mournful. The lack of any new strings involving her staff really irritates me. How are people using this variation?
that's how i feel about mournful....why does she still have fan lift? give the staff overhead special and she should have some staff esque strings as well. I just wish they didn't get lazy with kitana and give her a jade variation in the first place. I love jade but kitana should have had 3 "kitana" variations but that's just my opinion ;)

armani

Noob
do you guys think that NRS ran out of time with designing Kitana? they probably raised her damage output because of her lack of offensive tools.

MikeDigs

Twerk
In a love/hate relationship with this princess. I've managed to hold my own against most novice players, but I've gotten destroyed by pro Erron Black's, Cassies/Sonyas, and Scorpion/Sub-Zeros.

Kitana has weaknesses for sure, most glaringly her lack of meaningful mix-up game.
I've had some success dancing with pros, but not much, as I had to be on top of my defense game.

One fun thing I love to do with her, to catch everyone off guard it seems, is rush down and throw while they try to avoid fans.

I won't quit her, cuz she is my main, and I would love to train with some of you better players. Hit me up on Steam. I want to practice new mains as well.

EDIT: At the very least, give us Kitana players better normals so we actually CAN punish (block adv), and pressure. Maybe the second hit of F22 becomes an overhead? Maybe?

Last edited:

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
OK so I was doing lab work (as usual) with Kitana, this time Mournful, and found out some stuff that I didn't like.
She's not as safe as everyone makes her out to be in this variation. Matter of fact, she's almost as unsafe as she is in her other variations.

-First off, her glaives. Yes, they are indeed safe on block, but that doesn't mean it's safe to use in block strings. Out of all the strings she can use to cancel into them, ONLY 2 of them can be safely ended with glaive toss (111 and 212). 2 into glaive is safe too. 212 is a useless string too so that just leaves us with one viable string. Anything else can be interrupted with armor (reptiles EX dash works as well). This goes with EX Glaive as well. Now, we can use this as a mind game to bait out reversals and punish, but either way, the risk/reward isn't in her favor.

-Shadow Kick/EX is unsafe on block (-8), but only characters with fast advancing moves can punish this. Reptiles EX dash and Kit's iJ2 are very good counters against it. It's fairly safe against most of the cast, but the disadvantage she's left with irks me against rushdown characters.

-Staff grab/EX is very unsafe (-12). People seem to forget that there are some moves in this game that need to be RC'd before punishing, and this is one of them. So far, the slowest normal I've RC'd into for the punish is Kit's 1, which is 8f. Once people get used to RC punishing, this move is going to see less use outside of combo enders.

So yea that's pretty much it. More unsafe specials to work with lol. Also, it says iaf is -34, but I've was messing with deep j2 into a delayed iaf (idk why I was doing this) and I was able to block w.e came at me. I haven't tested against reptile's ex slide or Tempest Lao spin, but i can confirm it's not -34.

Last edited:

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Yeah I had hope block strings like f+2,2~Staff Slam would be good because they're a safe option for footsies but it's not. Sucks.

ThaRawDeal

Not to be trifled with!
OK so I was doing lab work (as usual) with Kitana, this time Mournful, and found out some stuff that I didn't like.
She's not as safe as everyone makes her out to be in this variation. Matter of fact, she's almost as unsafe as she is in her other variations.

-First off, her glaives. Yes, they are indeed safe on block, but that doesn't mean it's safe to use in block strings. Out of all the strings she can use to cancel into them, ONLY 2 of them can be safely ended with glaive toss (111 and 212). 2 into glaive is safe too. 212 is a useless string too so that just leaves us with one viable string. Anything else can be interrupted with armor (reptiles EX dash works as well). This goes with EX Glaive as well. Now, we can use this as a mind game to bait out reversals and punish, but either way, the risk/reward isn't in her favor.

-Shadow Kick/EX is unsafe on block (-8), but only characters with fast advancing moves can punish this. Reptiles EX dash and Kit's iJ2 are very good counters against it. It's fairly safe against most of the cast, but the disadvantage she's left with irks me against rushdown characters.

-Staff grab/EX is very unsafe (-12). People seem to forget that there are some moves in this game that need to be RC'd before punishing, and this is one of them. So far, the slowest normal I've RC'd into for the punish is Kit's 1, which is 8f. Once people get used to RC punishing, this move is going to see less use outside of combo enders.

So yea that's pretty much it. More unsafe specials to work with lol. Also, it says iaf is -34, but I've was messing with deep j2 into a delayed iaf (idk why I was doing this) and I was able to block w.e came at me. I haven't tested against reptile's ex slide or Tempest Lao spin, but i can confirm it's not -34.
I thought for sure Shadow kick couldn't be touched on block. I had the CPU use a SZ slide reversal and was able to block every time. Maybe a frame was changed somewhere since the first week?

xKhaoTik

I thought for sure Shadow kick couldn't be touched on block. I had the CPU use a SZ slide reversal and was able to block every time. Maybe a frame was changed somewhere since the first week?
well shadow kick is -8 and icy slide is 9f, while reptile's ex slide is 6f.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
do you guys think that NRS ran out of time with designing Kitana? they probably raised her damage output because of her lack of offensive tools.
Yes. Lol.

I was so apalled during the first week of MKX when exploring her that I came up with my own conspiracy theory to justify her wretched design. Ready for this....?

Due to her barely there existance in story mode and her bizarre frame data and uninspired design, I convinced myself she was never intended to be playable from the get go. But after some third quarter market research, NRS learned that she would help sell copies (iconic female, fan favorite etc., etc.,) so they threw her in last minute and voila!

I know it's most likely not true but that is what I convinced myself of to cope. Otherwise, she truly was designed by someone who hates her. Lol

xKhaoTik

Yes. Lol.

I was so apalled during the first week of MKX when exploring her that I came up with my own conspiracy theory to justify her wretched design. Ready for this....?

Due to her barely there existance in story mode and her bizarre frame data and uninspired design, I convinced myself she was never intended to be playable from the get go. But after some third quarter market research, NRS learned that she would help sell copies (iconic female, fan favorite etc., etc.,) so they threw her in last minute and voila!

I know it's most likely not true but that is what I convinced myself of to cope. Otherwise, she truly was designed by someone who hates her. Lol
lmao that made my night

Also, i'm kicking myself right now for disregarding mournful due to her "low damage". Although she doesn't do as much damage as RS/AS, she still has a pretty solid damage output and still out-damages some solid characters like Outlaw Erron Black. Meterless, I'm hitting 34%(36% w/ JIP) midscreen and 38% (39% w/ JIP) in the corner. One bar, I'm hitting 40%(41% w/ JIP) midscreen and 42%(43% w/ JIP) in the corner. That's not bad damage at all, even tho she has to spend a bar to hit 43% in mournful but does that meterless in in the other two lol

Status
Not open for further replies.