What's new

Strategy - Kitana Kitana General Discussion/Strategies

Status
Not open for further replies.

mercureXI

Punching bag that throws fans !
Day 1, I knew something was weird when I looked at frame data, and saw Kitana's parry being ... 17 frames startup (!) :)

The only way to make this viable is using it after unsafe strings, hoping to catch someone trying to punish you.

High risk, almost no reward.

Perfect design !

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
*sigh* Kitana's ass is unsafe on HIT on certain combos...

i did her 39% bnb off of AA GF in RS, and ended the combo with ass to send sub full screen, and he just punishes me with icy slide. wtf is this man?

EDIT: did her 42% midscreen no bar bnb against AS Kit, and got punished with Assassin Strike. She's at least -17 on hit after Ass on certain combos

*they have to tech roll and wakeup btw*

EDIT: video included

Last edited:

xKhaoTik

OK so I found some more damaging BNBs for Royal Storm in the corner. I'm getting 40% no bar off of f112, 44% no bar off of f43 and deep JK, and 53% 1 bar with f33/b14 ex fan. A friend of mine said he did 45% meterless off of deep jk in the corner, so he'll hmu with the info later. These work with Assassin as well, but her combos do less damage in that variation, but not by much. I'll make a video later today.

how do you deal with fireball spam against Flame Fist Liu Kang?

you can't always have meter to burst through the low fireballs and he has almost no recovery time so when you jump over them from anywhere that's not full screen you're open to whatever attack he chooses. even with reflect, the start up is so slow that you can only use it from about 5/6 of the screen away before he can use his flying kick to knock you away again.

i spent like 5 or 6 matches trying my options but i can't seem to figure anything about and i tend to get less and less effective the more frustrated i get so i had to quit eventually.

PS - we should probably have a thread dedicated to match ups, no?

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
how do you deal with fireball spam against Flame Fist Liu Kang?

you can't always have meter to burst through the low fireballs and he has almost no recovery time so when you jump over them from anywhere that's not full screen you're open to whatever attack he chooses. even with reflect, the start up is so slow that you can only use it from about 5/6 of the screen away before he can use his flying kick to knock you away again.

i spent like 5 or 6 matches trying my options but i can't seem to figure anything about and i tend to get less and less effective the more frustrated i get so i had to quit eventually.

PS - we should probably have a thread dedicated to match ups, no?
his low fireballl is def punishable at jump in distance ...

Just a thought... after viewing the 'interactables ignoring blockstun' thing, is it possible for Kitana to immediately cancel a jump interactible into float into NJ2 for a full combo?

I mean, whilst that ridiculous mechanic is in the game, may as well see if it can give Kitana a little bit of a helping hand. :p

xKhaoTik

Just a thought... after viewing the 'interactables ignoring blockstun' thing, is it possible for Kitana to immediately cancel a jump interactible into float into NJ2 for a full combo?

I mean, whilst that ridiculous mechanic is in the game, may as well see if it can give Kitana a little bit of a helping hand. :p
yes she can do that lol

Ugh I hate that shadow kick should be mid. And especially when they d4 and I go right thought them. But I've start mixing up f2 and shdw kick but that's still risky.
Oh idk if it was miss read. I said never use Ex air glaive and its because of that reason. Normal air glaives are pretty okay imo

And I used to play RS like that but fans aren't mid so yeah...
EX Air Glaive would be better if she fell to the ground after throwing it and it returned to her position on the ground kinda like Cap in UMVC3

diamond

Became a tier whore out of frustration
So her new move "Pretty Kick"...

Is slower than b4, has less range, and is I guess only useful for cancelling into lift or EX fan for a combo.

Air X-Ray is cool though!

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Well, d3 is the literal embodiment of "footsies" - specifically the kind that 3 year olds play under the table. :p

In all seriousness though, I don't think anyone is under any illusions of this Kitana being even vaguely similar to the old one. Hell, I basically think of this Kitana as a completely new character that happens to have been mildly inspired by the old one.

I can honestly say that Kitana, especially in Assassin variation, is the most incomplete-feeling character I've played in a fighting game since TTT2's Angel (which was basically the only gameplay aspect of TTT2 that I disliked). So many moves are like 'Hey, this is almost good... almost'.

b1 would be great... if it was a few frames faster and had a little more range.
f2 would be a great poke... if it was safe. Alternatively, a great mix-up tool... if it hit overhead.
d1 would be a decent interrupter... if it was safe.

Alternatively, they should have included a much wider set of universal tools to use as a variation-less template to build upon. There's no reason why her Square Boost shouldn't be a universal tool, for instance - imagine how much more interesting Mournful would be with that extra move alone. Parry could work as a universal move too.

As it stands, it's like choosing to play as a variation-less character... without going variation-less.

Despite all this, I'm going to keep playing her, largely because I absolutely love her personality shift since the last game. Normally I never put non-gameplay reasons as a primary reason for using a character, but this is very much an exception.
This x1000000

This is so on point. Keep speaking up. ;)

MikeDigs

Twerk
So her new move "Pretty Kick"...

Is slower than b4, has less range, and is I guess only useful for cancelling into lift or EX fan for a combo.

Air X-Ray is cool though!
Was excited about update till I realized it's not announced for Steam.

How did you find out the stats for "Pretty Kick" already?

7L

Heads up!
The b3 is a low? Sweet deal! More power to us. Now get to the lab people! I'll be on in a few hours to check it out

MikeDigs

Twerk
I'm bummed they didn't give her another overhead. All I ask is that the 2nd hit of F22 hits overhead. But I would for sure take F2 as well.

diamond

Became a tier whore out of frustration
Was excited about update till I realized it's not announced for Steam.

How did you find out the stats for "Pretty Kick" already?
I just downloaded the patch for ps4.

I mean a 15 frame low that's not easy to hit confirm is just a big gamble if you're trying to get any damage out of it. Nothing to get excited about tbh.

xKhaoTik

she had frame data fixes and she has a lot of strings and normals that are +2 on block. fans are -8 now.

she's still the same, except with a low starter.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I just downloaded the patch for ps4.

I mean a 15 frame low that's not easy to hit confirm is just a big gamble if you're trying to get any damage out of it. Nothing to get excited about tbh.

you can option select b+3~lift or EX Glaive so the special move only comes out on hit.

b+3 is mostly safe. Super long reaching fast punishes like Reptile ex slide and Raiden f+1 can punish it. Otherwise it's safe.

So it is a safe low starter. She still doesn't have a good OH though so it's not like she is now a 50/50 monster.

Status
Not open for further replies.