What's new

Strategy - Kitana Kitana General Discussion/Strategies

Status
Not open for further replies.

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
Hello Royal Family, prospective Kitana sub here. I main Mileena and wanted to ask about Kitana's variations. I like rushdown, and Assassin seems best for that, but I've heard her best variations go Royal Storm > Mournful > Assassin. I don't care about tiers, but out of curiosity, can someone explain to me why? And also, what is the difference in how RS and Mournful play? Different ways of controlling space? Thanks in advance.
if you like rushdown you're looking at the wrong character, kitana has to play in such a way where she makes the opponent make errors and punish them accordingly or depending on the opponent block a lot and punish.

Royal storm is very strong when it comes to footsies, the only issue i have with it is that fan lift no longer is an anti-air with other varitations.
booty is good for air to air encounters and good for a low crush
Fan raise is good for the distance and makes combos easier and ex fan raise goes full screen to catch people sleeping
she also has a reflect which is pretty strong

Mournful has jade's shadowkick which is better for punishment then throat slice i believe
glaves are actually mid but you can't really combo and ex glaves are good for pressure but it's metered pressure
staff grab is an ok anti-air and this is more or less better for "rush down" but then again it's just my opinion on the matter

Assassin
sharpen is fucking lol, you need to literally waste a combo set up to do it sucessfully so something like b+1,4 fan lift, f+33 fan, j.4 fan and then you can get off a sharpen and it does better for damage but it's just really bad

Assassin strike
Kitana runs midscreen, it's really good for opponents like scorpion who chugs demons at you or against kenshi
I really like this move actually

Last edited:

Ninjaguy446

all I have is the Green
if you like rushdown you're looking at the wrong character, kitana has to play in such a way where she makes the opponent make errors and punish them accordingly or depending on the opponent block a lot and punish.

Royal storm is very strong when it comes to footsies, the only issue i have with it is that fan lift no longer is an anti-air with other varitations.
booty is good for air to air encounters and good for a low crush
Fan raise is good for the distance and makes combos easier and ex fan raise goes full screen to catch people sleeping
she also has a reflect which is pretty strong

Mournful has jade's shadowkick which is better for punishment then throat slice i believe
glaves are actually mid but you can't really combo and ex glaves are good for pressure but it's metered pressure
staff grab is an ok anti-air and this is more or less better for "rush down" but then again it's just my opinion on the matter

Assassin
sharpen is fucking lol, you need to literally waste a combo set up to do it sucessfully so something like b+1,4 fan lift, f+33 fan, j.4 fan and then you can get off a sharpen and it does better for damage but it's just really bad

Assassin strike
Kitana runs midscreen, it's really good for opponents like scorpion who chugs demons are you or against kenshi
I really like this move actually
Thank you so much for your help, very informative! I like rushdown but I like her design enough that give I'll her a chance and stick with her. I'm most interested in RS and Assassin, so we'll see how it goes.

Last edited:
What are you guys doing vs Low pokes? I find if I get stuck in any up close situation low pokes stop me in my tracks. My fastest attack 1, is high so I get poked out of that and everything else is too slow. Counter poking doesn't really get me anywhere since the follow up options aren't good :/ sometimes I ex throat slice to get out but you can only do that so much before they read it. I guess in neutral I can back dash but this is usually happening in the corner. Anyway

TL:Dr what's your game vs low pokes?

What are you guys doing vs Low pokes? I find if I get stuck in any up close situation low pokes stop me in my tracks. My fastest attack 1, is high so I get poked out of that and everything else is too slow. Counter poking doesn't really get me anywhere since the follow up options aren't good :/ sometimes I ex throat slice to get out but you can only do that so much before they read it. I guess in neutral I can back dash but this is usually happening in the corner. Anyway

TL:Dr what's your game vs low pokes?
I would also like input on this. Going with standing 1 is simply not an option vs savy players, they'll just mash out another low poke and stuff the high attack.

Is d4 the most viable option?

When you spend alot of time with somebody, you tend to mimic their vocabulary and speech patterns and mannerisms.

This persists even through death

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I will be in my first local MKX tournament tomorrow at (TIME CHANGED) 2pm MST. I will be going 100% Kitana win or lose I don't care.

The stream will be at http://www.twitch.tv/greatsaltranbats

Unfortunately, due to being sick for weeks with pneumonia, all I've really been able to do is be a lab monster and have only played limited online against randoms and attend one local causal session... so I might just end up going 0-2.

Other players to look out for are @ll Nooby ll (probably our best player right now), @801 Vegeta (If he can make it), Flankster aka Tooth, 801 Strider, and Yury aka Deermir. There are many others but I've been out of the scene for so long that I don't remember.

Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Other players to look out for are [USER=6466 said:
@ll Nooby ll[/USER] (probably our best player right now), @801 Vegeta (If he can make it), Flankster aka Tooth, 801 Strider, and Yury aka Deermir. There are many others but I've been out of the scene for so long that I don't remember.

Wish me luck!
Good luck man!!

I watched quite a bit of footage from @Kitana Prime @Trepound380 and 16 bit and I feel like albeit they all do different combos (I also have different bnbs) the play styles for the character are similar to mine I'm kinda leaning toward what tre did and just using Sonya or my secondary Dvorrah. Can't wait to see what you got and I'll check out these others too

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Subtle way to say that the ninja girl copies are getting written out of the story.
Mileena gets killed off by the new monstrous female, dvorah.
Jade is announced to never be released and Kitana gets a retarded variation, and is overall underdeveloped.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
Kitana has had a tendency to steal things since her debut...

MK2: Sonya's squarewave punch
MKvsDC: Jade's teleport/Millena's roll
MKX: Skarlet's teleport, Millena's Jump'n stab, Jade's everything.

i hate that they gave kitana the mournful variation, its so uninspired. surely its not that hard to come up with a 3rd variation.
So many characters have variations that seem really uninspired and/or make no sense for them. Goro has a Kintaro variation. Cage and Scorpion have a Noob Saibot variation. What about Liu Kang dualist or MoS Raiden? And Quan Chi now summoning Bats? And the fact Sonya's new BBF is a drone? And it gives her granades? or that Reptile has a whole variation where it's only added move is his invisibility, and Ermac one where he levitates. Even some of the new characters have them, like Kun Jin's Kung Lao variation. I didn't thought this would be a problem prior to the game's release, but now I would rather they had only two variations if that could mean having one more character. There are just so many that are so bland.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Wow, I'm terrible... I went 1-2. My losses were to CO Sonya (barely) and INF Scorpion who went on to win the tournament.

What kills me is that i lost to things that i shouldn't have and if i had more time with the game i would have done better. I won literally every MK9 tournament locally since it came out and i am very disappointed in myself.

This tournament told me something though... float gimmicks will be a thing forever like cutter.

armani

Noob
Wow, I'm terrible... I went 1-2. My losses were to CO Sonya (barely) and INF Scorpion who went on to win the tournament.

What kills me is that i lost to things that i shouldn't have and if i had more time with the game i would have done better. I won literally every MK9 tournament locally since it came out and i am very disappointed in myself.

This tournament told me something though... float gimmicks will be a thing forever like cutter.
lol no. Kitana is terrible

Float gimmicks are super fun I must admit.... It's your first tournament showing I'm sure you'll review your mistakes and destroy everyone at the next local

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
She basically is really good against anyone who has to take risks to open you up
Because usually making a mistake against kitana comes with really bad consequences
or if you jump like a retarded kangaroo

armani

Noob
True, but i know i could have taken this if i had more time with the game. They are holding casuals right now, but i can't attend it this time either... FML
lol it's all good you live and you learn. man I wish my area had an offline MKX scene cause online ain't cutting it at all.

Pistol

Noob
I'm trying to rewire my brain. After throws and breakers my instinct is to meaty fan.

Horrible scenario, because they don't grant enough frames. Against somebody like Kotal Khan, if he's holding up forward, it puts him at a perfect distance for a jump in combo.

I'm trying to rewire my brain. After throws and breakers my instinct is to meaty fan.

Horrible scenario, because they don't grant enough frames. Against somebody like Kotal Khan, if he's holding up forward, it puts him at a perfect distance for a jump in combo.
Also perfect distance for mileena to roll which also goes under fan :(

Status
Not open for further replies.