What's new

Strategy - Kitana Kitana General Discussion/Strategies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pistol

Noob
strike almost seems redundant considering how throat slice does almost the same thing but without the hard knockdown
I like hard knockdowns. Speaking of Assassin...

I'm not going to tell them how to make their game. I like Paulo.

So a mere suggestion, if you're not going to give mid fans, let them be active under the sharpen buff.

Oh they're down backing? Let me activate the sharpen buff, so my fans hit mid.

I guess, the mission statement was to speed up the game, but it's slowing it down with high fans. I'm not going to stop throwing them, I'm getting meter.

GroovyMango

Bullseye
Yo, sup everyone. New to Kitana here. So what kind of tips do y'all have for IA fan? I'm using stick and it's pretty tough to get it, I need to go through and watch Kitana Prime's matches from last night and see how he does them.

BloodBurger

http://www.youtube.com/bloodburger1
In my opinion, Mournful just isn't very good. Well by comparison to the other 2. Personally I like Royal Storm because I have more options in the air, but Assassin is good too.

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
I'm actually pretty torn on whether or not to keep training with Kitana. I've been playing with Royal Storm. In the lab with her, now learning more combos. A part of me wants to keep playing with her with Mileena & Scorpion as an offline character of mine, but another part of me is just saying "Go with what I started with, but a lot of people have been telling you not to play her". I enjoy the character & really do want to keep playing her, bad, good or whatever. It's just hard to stay motivated to keep up the training with her.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I just wanna play, but need to stay sane with the character.

Airvidal

"You play weird" It's called being unorthodox ;)
She doesn't have to have 50/50's to be good. All she needs is a decent speed overhead that leads into a combo, and she already has a low. What makes her bad is that all you have to do is block low and punish after any of her strings. Another thing that makes her bad, her moves seem to become active really late so most of the time you get beat when trying to use your normals, makes her feel soooo slow every time it happens...

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
Do you guys know of her frame traps (before I jump the gun? B14 & B12? What sucks is that she can't use her fans with them it seems.

The reason why I asked is because me & my friend discovered that Mileena had 2 strings that could & I've been playing her too so we went & checked these 2 out.

Last edited:

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
So b3 is a good crush for Raiden's f12. She goes right under the f1, and hits him before 2 comes out. So if you're reading the f12 stutters well, you can put a stop to it.

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
Do you guys know of her frame traps (before I jump the gun? B14 & B12? What sucks is that she can't use her fans with them it seems.

The reason why I asked is because me & my friend discovered that Mileena had 2 strings that could & I've been playing her too so we went & checked these 2 out.
Frame trap ???

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Can somebody PLEASE tell me what makes people say Kitana is bad? Without mentioning 50/50s.
All it takes is a good look at her frame data to realise that almost everything she can do is a clawless kitten pawing at you.
Sure enough she has moves that are 0 on block but when she can barely jab out of safe pressure let alone do anything against frame traps.
Her wakeups are unsafe so as it's been said, if the opponent holds block and punishes, she's dead.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!

If B1 wasn't garbage, and B12 hit overhead, we'd have ourselves a good character.
All it takes is B1 to be i7, B12 overhead, B14 true low and B143 to be an unsafe launcher...

HaWXx Is Rippin

In the Akatsuki hideout, Hiding.
Ive started to think mournful is the best one, literally the fact that the glaive is a mid is so important in my eyes.

saying that though, i have the most fun with royal storm, and i think it covers more matchups.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
This is Street Fighter, but it's one of the best examples of footsies I know, so I always refer people to this.

Watch the way Daigo and Valle both fight for every inch on the screen, attempting to control their space and push their opponent to the corner. Watch how carefully they control the space between them as they look for whiff punishes and opportunities. This match is pretty much the definition of footsies!
Rewatching this again makes me sad when I think what MKX could have been...

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
Rewatching this again makes me sad when I think what MKX could have been...
I can't tell you how many times I've watched that match over the years haha. Sometimes if my wife is out and I'm bored making dinner I'll just throw it on while I'm cooking. Footsies perfection by two of the best of all time.

Can somebody PLEASE tell me what makes people say Kitana is bad? Without mentioning 50/50s.
Here's my suggestions for improvements for all the people who are constantly saying they don't want Kitana to have access to a combo-able overhead a thus having a decent 50/50 game...

D1 - Buff it to Kotal Kahn levels. His D1 and D3 are both neutral on block and startup is 6 and 7 frames respectively. Having this move buffed would at least give her a quick poking tool so she can maintain pressure, go for throws, etc.

B2 - I'd say have it about halfway of where it currently is and Liu Kang's B2. In compensation for having it be safe on block it should be slower than Liu Kang's. I'd say maybe like 18-20 frames? We could then use it more often to at least discourage people from blocking. But really... most people will still block low and rather just eat the overhead damage. Still, combined with the above buff it will at least allow her to be annoying and pressure up close.

B1 - Have the startup frames be lowered to around 10 or so. Have the last hit of the the B122 string end in a non-cancelable overhead. This will give her another pressure tool. Though most smart players will still block low and either eat the overhead or block low then high when they see we aren't doing B14.

I think those tools would make her decent without true 50/50's like most of the scarier characters. While mid fan would be amazing, I think it would be OP in combination with my above suggestions. And if we only got mid fan without the above buffs then it would make Kitana essentially a counter-pick character who loses to anyone with a teleport since they get around the zoning.

That's my 2 cents.

Edit: Oh yeah and make the startup faster on reflect and parry in Royal Storm/Assassin. As of now they are extremely difficult to actually pull off in a match. I think a slight decrease to the startup of sharpen in Assassin would also be nice. Ideally, I would like to be able to do a meterless sharpen after the knockdown from Assassin Strike and have it be safe from wakeup attacks.

Last edited:

mercureXI

Punching bag that throws fans !
My bet is : testers were angry at how good Kitana was in MK9 and joined together to suggest a shitty frame data along with shitty useless moves (parry/sharpen/reflect/jade moves).

That way, they can play Rushdown Kombat all day and forget about zoning.

Smart move :)

Now we can "get hyyyyyyyyyyyype" ( . . . ) with Finals being

1) Random move into corner carry (apply armor if needed, extra cheese never hurts)
2) 50/50 until dead
3) stand up and shout "HYYYYYYYYYYPE"
4) forget about Batgirl and all the complaints about her 50/50 game being boring as hell, since 50/50 all day is now "hype"

Watching Raiden VS Erron Finals being completely one sided as long as one of them gets in the corner, with 95% of the match being a corner trap, is seriously boring. Especially with those corner carry moves that get you there so easily.

aj1701

Noob
Is it possible to punish kitana's d1 when it hits? Seems like people are able to immediately poke back and now I'm stuck on defensive. it was online, but online has been pretty good for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.