What's new

General/Other KILLER FROST - General Discussion Thread

Sultan

Kitana, Scorpion
Here is a video of the of the command grab vs backdashing in the corner. As you can see, it's not catching the backdash, it's just before the invulnerable frames ( same timing as ducking and jumping).

Recreating your situation, black adam constantly back dashing on record, and then trying to time the reset worked a few times.
Try my method though, try recording Frost performing the mb freeze - mb freeze link. Then try backdashing out with black adam. I have yet to make this work. Like, as I type I have cpu frost perfectly timed to perform the mb freeze - mb freeze (it eats jumps, ducking) but I can still backdash out.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Hmmm...

Not sure. I thought this was a just frame link, and wasn't dependent upon where you did it on the screen as long as you did it on the proper frames. I remember a list someone put together a month or 2 ago (maybe Rickyraws?) that helped to find exactly where to hit each opponent to get the framing just right. I think this was tested against dashes, crouching, blocking, etc. and confirmed that they could not even back dash if done correctly. Perhaps that is not actually the case??

But yes, I have had some success with this tactic online - but I often just chalk it up to the fact that my opponent was expecting a F3 instead of B1 and therefore wasnt crouching, making the timing more lenient
Mid-screen? Yes, if you hit them on the right "spot" it is absolutely inescapable. You can test this by putting the AI on duck and if it hits, it means you performed the grab in that 1-3 frame window that makes it inescapable. I've attempted it a few times against opponents who knew I was going for it and they simply ducked and punished my grab attempt...but then later on down the road I would go for it again and it would connect and they would inform me that were ducking.

Essentially, you can always go for the standard 50/50. BUT, if you practice this tactic, and let's say your opponent has already used their clash, you can essentially take the risk and go for 60-70% damage (altogether) after a standard reset, thus going for the kill, so to speak.

I'm currently in the process of coming up with the exact percentages for damages using certain formulas using this tactic. Would anyone be interested if I made a post with videos showing where to hit each character and the combos that grant the most damage?

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
I will preface this saying I am drunk as fugg right now, but the Frost forums kick ass and Myles is probably in tears that he can't respond to this right now since he's banned

Recreating your situation, black adam constantly back dashing on record, and then trying to time the reset worked a few times.
Try my method though, try recording Frost performing the mb freeze - mb freeze link. Then try backdashing out with black adam. I have yet to make this work. Like, as I type I have cpu frost perfectly timed to perform the mb freeze - mb freeze (it eats jumps, ducking) but I can still backdash out.
Damn it, there is always a pot of shit at the end of the rainbow ... I guess setting the AI on constant backdash is not working correctly. You are right, when I recorded a perfect mb freeze into mb freeze, I couldn't duck or jump, but backdashing worked. Sad day.

RunwayMafia

I will preface this saying I am drunk as fugg right now, but the Frost forums kick ass and Myles is probably in tears that he can't respond to this right now since he's banned
Girl...you have mentioned over 5 times that you are in Jamaica. Now you are drunk posting on TYM WHILE on vacation...welcome to my world!! ;) And yes, I co-sign your sentiment.

RunwayMafia

Damn it, there is always a pot of shit at the end of the rainbow ... I guess setting the AI on constant backdash is not working correctly. You are right, when I recorded a perfect mb freeze into mb freeze, I couldn't duck or jump, but backdashing worked. Sad day.
You have been so instrumental and hard at work finding us the best tech...don't be gloom. I commend your efforts. ;)

You have been so instrumental and hard at work finding us the best tech...don't be gloom. I commend your efforts. ;)
Heh, thanks. I'm not gloom, more like mad. NRS were like " Guys, let's give KF a 1 frame link reset, but make it full combo punishable if they mess it up. But wait, they might be able to do it every now and then, let's allow the backdash to escape it, that will be fair."

RunwayMafia

Heh, thanks. I'm not gloom, more like mad. NRS were like " Guys, let's give KF a 1 frame link reset, but make it full combo punishable if they mess it up. But wait, they might be able to do it every now and then, let's allow the backdash to escape it, that will be fair."
Back dash? I thought mid screen you could not escape it if you landed the grab in the appropriate frames?

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
What took you so long?

P.S. Myles is so free.

Last edited:

Madog32

PSN: ImaGiveItToUBaby
Yes. I'm sorry, I assumed you were doing MB Grab into NJ1 MB Grab again. If it was confirmed that you could backdash out of it, my bad. I must have missed that post. The only time I've ever had anyone get out of it is by them crouching, and me miss-timing. But perhaps a back dash also works? Seems risky (from the perspective of KF's opponent) to do ANYTHING but block low or high after she locks you into vortex. If they're backdashing, they're either VERY aware of her traps and can read a J1 vs J2 (I also recall reading that it was possible off a J2, but much harder to time. If you learned that, it would eliminate the J1 as a sign) or they're mashing buttons and will get blown up by F3 or B1
Mid-screen? Yes, if you hit them on the right "spot" it is absolutely inescapable. You can test this by putting the AI on duck and if it hits, it means you performed the grab in that 1-3 frame window that makes it inescapable. I've attempted it a few times against opponents who knew I was going for it and they simply ducked and punished my grab attempt...but then later on down the road I would go for it again and it would connect and they would inform me that were ducking.

Essentially, you can always go for the standard 50/50. BUT, if you practice this tactic, and let's say your opponent has already used their clash, you can essentially take the risk and go for 60-70% damage (altogether) after a standard reset, thus going for the kill, so to speak.

I'm currently in the process of coming up with the exact percentages for damages using certain formulas using this tactic. Would anyone be interested if I made a post with videos showing where to hit each character and the combos that grant the most damage?
I thought so. I was certain I got it to work a few times as well midscreen. Its great if you have trait charged up and they've already used their clash.
lol. I was wondering when he was gonna venture out from under his bridge. Didn't know he was banned!

RunwayMafia

I thought so. I was certain I got it to work a few times as well midscreen. Its great if you have trait charged up and they've already used their clash.

lol. I was wondering when he was gonna venture out from under his bridge. Didn't know he was banned!
In regards to the thread I'm thinking about making, is this something you'd like to see? In this thread I would list all the max damage combos for the first combo (from each relative starter) and then provide the max damage combo after the MB Freeze reset. I would also show, in video format, where exactly you need to kick the opponent to land this. Yay? Nay?

Madog32

PSN: ImaGiveItToUBaby
In regards to the thread I'm thinking about making, is this something you'd like to see? In this thread I would list all the max damage combos for the first combo (from each relative starter) and then provide the max damage combo after the MB Freeze reset. I would also show, in video format, where exactly you need to kick the opponent to land this. Yay? Nay?
Yes to this. Especially the part about showing where on each character. I can get it on some (MMH is the easiest for me) but others are difficult. And then they go and change their skin and sometimes the spots i use to aim my attacks are moved or not there anymore. The max damage output would be icing on the cake!

But I guess first we should definitely confirm the fact that you're not able to back dash out if done correctly

Its just delaying the grab. Instead of canceling from j1 you hit then grab. But this opens you up for when they duck. Its just a mix up if you think thell back dash just slide
Yeah delaying the grab beats backdash. It sounded like there was a frame that beats all options. I guess we can't get anything but mix ups, but this is a hard link and is punishable, would have been nice if there was such a frame, oh well.

RunwayMafia

Yeah delaying the grab beats backdash. It sounded like there was a frame that beats all options. I guess we can't get anything but mix ups, but this is a hard link and is punishable, would have been nice if there was such a frame, oh well.
So....is it even worth it to go for this tactic then?

Sultan

Kitana, Scorpion
Actually, against some characters at least, we recover from our command throw before they recover from their backdash. I haven't tested to see if we get a character specific punish in the corner, but I know in a mirror match and versus green lantern we're at least at positive frames for a d1 check if they back dash the command throw.

Sultan

Kitana, Scorpion
Actually, against some characters at least, we recover from our command throw before they recover from their backdash. I haven't tested to see if we get a character specific punish in the corner, but I know in a mirror match and versus green lantern we're at least at positive frames for a d1 check if they back dash the command throw.
Holy shit, confirmed punish on lex luthor backdashing to escape the j1~flash freeze reset in the corner. It's a trap!

So....is it even worth it to go for this tactic then?
It sounds like a real "waste" of time learning the point of each character when j1 hits, and even then it's not easy to do so every time. It's good for mixing up ppl, and many won't expect it. I will probably learn it, I prefer to have many techs up my sleeve than to be a linear player.

Sultan

Kitana, Scorpion
Hmm, I gotta test this. I'll be right back.
I recorded Frost performing the j1~freeze reset on lex and I just mashed 1. Then I played back the recording, backdashed the set-up, but Lex's backdash didn't recover quickly enough so I was bopped by 111. So it seems like the j1~freeze reset is a character specific trap in the corner. Now to compile a list of victims. The best part is he's better off eating the command throw. He takes less damage and I spend a meter, but if Lex backdashes he eats 40%+ meterless.