What's new

Khaos Reigns Official Announcement Trailer

Comments

Ok, my thoughts.

First of all, Im probably one of the few that actually like Noob's design. Properly dark and with creepy voice. Less Ninja-ish, but still feel its a good take on him. Can't wait for more of his gameplay and he was for me clearly the highlight of the trailer.

I dont give a single fuck about guests, but these are really weird choices and it may have something to do with NRS/WB not being in a good condition financially. Maybe im wrong but hype for Conan was around early 2000s and I feel like its only because they still have the rights to Arnie's face. T1000 isnt even the main character of the franchise and clearly not that recognizable (I wish they just introduce brand new MK character with similiar powers). Ghostface first to MK just as Mickey Mouse would. Overall, feels like its the worst guest pack out of all guest packs, and thats something.

Cyborgs... well, not a fan of genderswap at all and I really would love to pretend they are just brand new characters. Anyway, they fell like Jacqui and Cassie of this game. Hell, they even move similiar. Just supersoldiers with supersuits, kinda lame tbh. They dont FEEL like Cyrax and Sektor. I dont have any vibe of our lovely Ketchup and Mustard in that teenage, overdesigned bullshit.

Animalities were always my least favourite from the endings so Im like meh. At least they are animated properly, so mild props to that.

No sign of kameos and new game modes (outside of the story) - not a good sign. They would want to milk us more in the future for the content they should already put in the game.

Summarizing - Noob is fine, teenage-robots-linkuei-fighters are abomination that should never happen (just like triborg), guests are boring and uninspired. Even from the marketing standpoint. Quite sad panel to be honest.

I mean, in retrospect, this is what bothers the HELL out of me in MK1. NRS, for whatever reason, decided that while the timeline reset was a good way to fix some things, they literally fixed things that weren't broken, and left broken the things that needed fixing.

Who asked for Kuai Liang to be Scorpion? Fucking no one ever.

Who asked for the cyborgs to be female? Fucking no one ever.

Who asked for Shao Kahn to be nerfed to hell in terms of power level and plot relevance? Fucking no one ever.

Who asked for the first MK tournament, one of the most beloved part of the IP's lore to be completely retconned? Fucking no one ever.

Who asked for Havik to be Dairou and completely erase the latter as a character? Fucking no one ever.

Who asked for the Tarkatans to be retconned from bloodthirsty half-demon marauders (the orcs of MK, really) to victims of a plague? Fucking no one, ever.

Who asked for Quan Chi, one of the most manipulative characters of MK lore, to be retconned to a slave who worked on fucking coal mines or whatever? Fucking no one, ever.

Who asked for Liu Kang's romance with Kitana to be retconned? Fucking no one ever.

Who asked for Raiden and Liu Kang to swap roles in the lore? Fucking no one ever.

Who asked for 95% of the cast to be good guys? Fucking no one ever.

Instead, what was broken, stayed broken.

Did we get any new, established lore on what is going on with the One Being, the Titans and the Gods and how they function in this 'new era'? No.

Did we fix the timeline/multiverse bullshit so that we can have a single, cohesive timeline in order for the Infinite Crisis shenanigans that plagued the IP since MK9 finally stop? No. Instead they went fucking apeshit with it.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, did they use the reboot to make good origin stories for the majority of the cast? FUCK NO. Havik's origin is asinine, Nitara's non-existent, Ashrah, Reptile and Baraka's origins are verbal expositions as they casually stroll through the landscape, etc. A complete, utter misfire, with the only exceptions (in terms of screen time, not quality) being Kitana, Mileena, Johnny Cage, Kenshi, Kung Lao and Raiden.

So they made a new era which is the perfect opportunity to fix what was broken after decades of the IP going on, and they completely botched it.

Robots being women is dumb, but whatever. Ghostface is gonna be interesting.
Conan ? Why is Conan in the game ? Is he relevant ? Do young people even know who Conan is ?

It's cheap, lazy, and I don't like it. They're trying to have their cake and eat it too. Increase the male/female ratio without putting any real effort.
Okay, so it’s a bad thing because you think it’s cheap, lazy, and you don’t like it. Got it

But you're a person who wants to see all your favorite characters get genderswapped, so I literally can't imagine what's it like inside your head and expect the same from you in return.
Yeah it’d be cool. And you’re right, I’m not super emotionally attached to video game characters so I don’t really care about their race or gender. As long as they look cool and can do cool shit, that’s all I care about. I understand that you have a far deeper personal connection to fictional video game characters though, so I get it from that aspect I suppose.

The reason the genderswaps happen IN THE FIRST PLACE is because the male characters are more than the female ones
What does this even mean? “the male characters are more than the female ones”, more what?

and now NRS are trying to be 'progressive', at the expense of established characters and lore.
You do realize there is alternate universes in the actual story mode of this game, right? And characters from those alternate universes also appear in the story. And a lot of them are different versions of these established characters. AND a lot of the characters in “this” universe also have been altered from their previous established lore. So yeah, it’s completely consistent with the lore.

This could have easily been the greatest story/charactet pack off all time

I mean noob sektor cyrax are goats of the franchise in terms of popularity and as characters.

But they had ti fuck it all up by making cyrax and sektor female and lean into the marvel bs so much,like god damn the kamidogu were already somewhat interesting as a source of power,fucking expand on that, dont make havik stick it in his infinty chest and go brrrr....

I guess all thats left is huff copium to the max and maybe the story actually turns out great and cyrax and sektor have injustice 2 style premier skins that are og dudes cyrax and sektor.

Robots being women is dumb, but whatever. Ghostface is gonna be interesting.
Conan ? Why is Conan in the game ? Is he relevant ? Do young people even know who Conan is ?
As relative as T-1000. Actually, considering Conan kept being in movies and comics while T-1000 never appeared again, I'd call Conan more relative.

I expect him to have 50% of Kotal's moveset, minus the sun-based attacks.

Conan is violent, but that's where the MK-similarities end. Gameplay wise, he's a better fit to Soul Calibur, rather than MK. I love Conan, but he doesn't really fit in MK. Doomslayer would've been a better choice.

Ghostface is literally the last character I would pick for MK. He(/she?)'s a normal human with a kitchen knife. That's it.

What does this even mean? “the male characters are more than the female ones”, more what?
More in number.

You do realize there is alternate universes in the actual story mode of this game, right? And characters from those alternate universes also appear in the story. And a lot of them are different versions of these established characters. AND a lot of the characters in “this” universe also have been altered from their previous established lore. So yeah, it’s completely consistent with the lore.
What exactly are you trying to say here? That the cyborgs we see are what-if versions and not the canon Cyborgs? That the lore of MK is that there is basically no lore? I mean, I know the in-lore reason they fucked up the established lore. I don't AGREE with it, and I don't like it. That's the whole point.

If your investment in MK amounts to 'I like to see/do cool shit', you do you, but don't act surprised when some people expect something more from an IP they loved for three decades.

The cyborgs are more like bluebbeetle designs than i would like but otherwise im liking this pack , all this talk of power levels make me laugh at ghostface as a guest , do you like , scary prank phone calls? ,, :DOGE

Noob looks fookin sick i cannot wait to glitch the game with portals looool . designs dont matter because we get pallettes and skins i have my ermac looking like noob saibot anyways , t 1000 is the first guest character i actually want to play and if conan is a command grab character he will also be in my rotation , pretty hype i must say

More in number.
Oh, right, lol… derp moment

What exactly are you trying to say here? That the cyborgs we see are what-if versions and not the canon Cyborgs? That the lore of MK is that there is basically no lore? I mean, I know the in-lore reason they fucked up the established lore. I don't AGREE with it, and I don't like it. That's the whole point.
For MK1, all of that is technically “canon”. The female Sektor & Cyrax are most likely from the alternate universes like we saw at the end of the story mode. That entire ending was lazy writing so I agree there, but since they made all those “what if” characters real, then technically any different version of these established characters make sense.

Also, I honestly think a big reason they decided to genderswap them is because of their Kameos being in the game. Of course they didn’t have to genderswap in order to redesign these characters, but I genuinely think that they’re going to be alt universe characters. Like, if they have alt skins that make them male, would you be okay with that?
If your investment in MK amounts to 'I like to see/do cool shit', you do you, but don't act surprised when some people expect something more from an IP they loved for three decades.
What am saying is that I am a huge Scorpion, Smoke and Nightwolf fan for instance. But I’m not huge fans of them for any specific lore reasons. I care far more about their aesthetics and their playstyle/movesets. The backstories and lore just add to the character for me. So they can change up their backstories and lore or create new ones and it wouldn’t effect me that negatively as long as it wasn’t something stupid like Zombie Liu Kang. But that’s also for aesthetic reasons because Zombie LK looks stupid as hell to me and the concept is also dumb af in my opinion. And I understand now that for you and others, you care far more deeply about these characters and their lore, so the line for y’all is different. I was thinking about it from my perspective and forgot that there’s people that really get into the lore of FG characters.

Making them Ironman clones removes one of the most important parts of what it meant to be a cyber ninja, that it was a horrifically grueling process. Their eyes are removed, their flesh is peeled. They aren't just people in suits, they're completely bonded with their armor.
This is completely valid criticism. However, like all other characters in Liu Kang's new era, they're not exactly our beloved characters we always knew. Scorpion is not Hanzo for example. That's also huge. Similarly, there's essentially no cyber initiative in the new era. Instead, we have iron man suits. It's fundamentally different but I see it as another take on the characters, NOT a replacement.

No, this is not the Sektor I love but I think it's more Sektor than whatever Triborg was. In terms of design, I'm not loving it or hating it. It's a bit goofy and reminds me of Ironheart and Lego Bionicle. It may grow on me but I want to see the moveset.

No, this is not the Sektor I love but I think it's more Sektor than whatever Triborg was.
Off topic but thats crazy to me. I always saw Triborg as Super Sektor. Because he was pretty much 100% Sektor personality wise. He was an egotistical, murderous psychopath. He embraced cybernetics to a degree more than anyone, and even founded the Tekunin in this new timeline (even if Triborg might not be canon)

He's pretty much Sektor if he was successful lol

Oh, right, lol… derp moment

For MK1, all of that is technically “canon”. The female Sektor & Cyrax are most likely from the alternate universes like we saw at the end of the story mode. That entire ending was lazy writing so I agree there, but since they made all those “what if” characters real, then technically any different version of these established characters make sense.

Also, I honestly think a big reason they decided to genderswap them is because of their Kameos being in the game. Of course they didn’t have to genderswap in order to redesign these characters, but I genuinely think that they’re going to be alt universe characters. Like, if they have alt skins that make them male, would you be okay with that?

What am saying is that I am a huge Scorpion, Smoke and Nightwolf fan for instance. But I’m not huge fans of them for any specific lore reasons. I care far more about their aesthetics and their playstyle/movesets. The backstories and lore just add to the character for me. So they can change up their backstories and lore or create new ones and it wouldn’t effect me that negatively as long as it wasn’t something stupid like Zombie Liu Kang. But that’s also for aesthetic reasons because Zombie LK looks stupid as hell to me and the concept is also dumb af in my opinion. And I understand now that for you and others, you care far more deeply about these characters and their lore, so the line for y’all is different. I was thinking about it from my perspective and forgot that there’s people that really get into the lore of FG characters.
Its not just lore reasons,it the active and underlying purpose of the change.

And its 2 fold,without having any connection to mortal kombat.

1.we need more women cause the rest of the pack is 4 dudes and muh represantation and DEI.

2.the agenda thats being pushed in the real world that gender doesnt matter,male and female is one in the same,you are a women if you "feel" like it and a man if you "feek"like it,and mediums like movies and games are just one of the tools to condition people into it,with the you are not tolerant bs if you push back agains it.

These are forced ultra left bulshit tactics and ways of promoting their dumbass politics,and the sole reqson of why they are doing it,its blatnatly obvious and mk is not the only IP thats affected by it.

This is the main issue of it,the WHY its being done,it has nothing to do with lore or whats cool or not or is it an alternat univers or not.
The sole reason its being done is ideology point blank period,and thats the last thing i want to think about or connect with mortal komabt.

For MK1, all of that is technically “canon”. The female Sektor & Cyrax are most likely from the alternate universes like we saw at the end of the story mode.
Considering that Kuai Liang seems pissed with Cyrax, that gives me the impression that they're this universe's K&M, not an alt's.

Also, I honestly think a big reason they decided to genderswap them is because of their Kameos being in the game. Of course they didn’t have to genderswap in order to redesign these characters, but I genuinely think that they’re going to be alt universe characters.
I think the biggest reason is they were making a sausage fest KP two times in a row, and needed more females, but also, they know the players wanted the cyborgs. So they had two choices:

A) Bring female guests, or B) race-swap the cyborgs.
Honestly, we could have gotten Ripley, Sarah Connor and Buffy or Xena or Lady Death and keep the cyborgs male. But the truth is that male guests will sell more than female guests, and they didn't want to keep the cyborgs from the players three games in a row.

One of the saddest things about NRS is that they are doing those constant compromises in order to keep some players happy, but end up pissing off everyone. We can't have Baraka in MKX, so let's make a Tarkatan alien. The alien fan dgaff about alien cosplaying as Wolverine, but Baraka fans were never satisfied with a Tarkatan alien because it simply wasn't the same thing.

That said, considering the fact that the voice actress of Sektor said that her reveal will piss off 'the bigots, the trolls and the grifters' makes me angry because that means that NRS is AWARE people will be pissed, and they are all 'lol, don't care, you're just racists'.

Like, if they have alt skins that make them male, would you be okay with that?
No. What I would prefer would be brand new female Lin Kuei getting cyborg'd. Perhaps Sektor has one or two female over-zealous and cocky Lin Kuei warriors willing to become the prototype models and when she/they get(s) whooped at the final battle in the story, Sektor compiles the data, figures out what he did wrong and makes the 'new, improved' designs for him and Cyrax in MK2 or something. Like, imagine if he made ironman suits for the two female Lin Kuei, and in the end he goes like ... "Curses ... I didn't go far enough ... we need more than armor casings. We need to become one with the metal ... one with the machine ..." So in MK1, he and Cyrax are human (NPCs), and full-cyborg'd (playable) in MK2.

If they abso-fucking-lutely HAD to have female Cyborgs in MK1, that's the route I would have gotten.

"But that would mean that you wouldn't get Cyborg Sektor yet AGAIN in MK1!"
Well, it's not like I got that now anyway. Sektor is neither male-based, nor a cyborg. He's just Ironheart with full on red color palette.

S'all good. I have no problem with different opinions, my problem is that it's very tedious that when I say why I hate those changes, the first thing the usual crowd will say is something along the lines, 'no, you just hate women'.

That said, I also need to keep in mind that there are people like you who are ok with those changes not because of support for a particular agenda, but because it's LITERALLY not a big deal for them.

And you know what? Considering the fact we're talking video games, your approach is a lot more sensible than mine.

Off topic but thats crazy to me. I always saw Triborg as Super Sektor.
Ditto.

Its not just lore reasons,it the active and underlying purpose of the change.

And its 2 fold,without having any connection to mortal kombat.

1.we need more women cause the rest of the pack is 4 dudes and muh represantation and DEI.

2.the agenda thats being pushed in the real world that gender doesnt matter,male and female is one in the same,you are a women if you "feel" like it and a man if you "feek"like it,and mediums like movies and games are just one of the tools to condition people into it,with the you are not tolerant bs if you push back agains it.

These are forced ultra left bulshit tactics and ways of promoting their dumbass politics,and the sole reqson of why they are doing it,its blatnatly obvious and mk is not the only IP thats affected by it.

This is the main issue of it,the WHY its being done,it has nothing to do with lore or whats cool or not or is it an alternat univers or not.
The sole reason its being done is ideology point blank period,and thats the last thing i want to think about or connect with mortal komabt.
While I 100% get you, we are treading a fine line as it is and this thread will start getting mass post deletes. It happens all the time once the 'known suspect target group' begins to be mentioned. So let's focus on the game breaking lore consistency.

Off topic but thats crazy to me. I always saw Triborg as Super Sektor. Because he was pretty much 100% Sektor personality wise. He was an egotistical, murderous psychopath. He embraced cybernetics to a degree more than anyone, and even founded the Tekunin in this new timeline (even if Triborg might not be canon)

He's pretty much Sektor if he was successful lol
Interesting. To me, the fact that Triborg could switch between different characters like changing a battery, removed all the individuality and personality of each character.

But, to each their own.

The absolute malding over a gender change in a video game is fucking hilarious.

The sheer amount of ignorance and misogyny is so depressing.

What the fuck is DEI? Some American bullshit? Y’all need to sort your shit out because it sounds like you guys have some serious issues.

In relation to the KP, I’m the most excited for Cyrax and sektor. I think their designs actually look super cool. I like triborg in MKX and Cyrax in MK9, so I’m keen to see what they’ve done in the new MK.

It literally just got leaked that Shang will be able to morph into male versions of Kitana and Mileena. The UMK3 male ninja Kitana looks pretty neat too. The irony of people making up a conspiracy theory of how video games are emasculating media while the most masculine actor of all time is sitting there portraying the most masculine character he ever played looking beefy as fuck is also very, very funny.

Again, no shade in disliking this, this specific reasoning is just genuinely funny to me in 2024. If Cyrax and Sektor got gender swapped in MKDA or something people would be screaming for the female versions to come back as skins or something for nostalgia reasons in every game after that
so true. remember that frost was basicallly female sub, ashrahs idea was female raiden and kitana and mileena the female ninja couterparts to sub and scorpion. i dont mind the new cyrax and sektor at all, NRS had to do something about them anyway because the kameos already cover the iconic moves (new cyrax goo looks bad though). im quite excited about them and the other new chars, contrary to the anti-heroes in spandex.

Not sure if this was said.. But being the new Era on the trailer before you see Bi-Han being changed you see Geras. Makes me wonder as he sounds like him. is it both Bi-Han and Geras? Friend @Fermbiz pointed this out and could be wrong but heres a picture from the trailer.
there are multiple geras' in that scene though.

NRS were chasing MCU coattails in MKX with the 'avenger' kombat kids, continued chasing in mk11 with multiverse bullshit, doubled down on multiverse bullshit with mk1, and then followed disney straight into the panderverse with cyrax and sektor. And they're Ironmen to boot, too cool.

If there really are no kameo's, or they expect me to buy this without mentioning kameos, that is some bullshit. Kameo's actually change/effect the gameplay.

Just let me buy Noob.

DLC being 50% guests was never okay either. In a perfect world the millions and millions of mk fans would sit this one out and let the dozens and dozens of Conan fans pay for NRS's work on this expansion.

EDIT And I know MK has always borrowed from pop culture, but they've had an awesome lore for decades now. A lore that's more popular than ever. They should embrace it. And stop with the marvel shit and everybody is friends street fighter shit.

Last edited:
While I 100% get you, we are treading a fine line as it is and this thread will start getting mass post deletes. It happens all the time once the 'known suspect target group' begins to be mentioned. So let's focus on the game breaking lore consistency.
So basically we’ll all be censored? Sounds about right.

so true. remember that frost was basicallly female sub, ashrahs idea was female raiden and kitana and mileena the female ninja couterparts to sub and scorpion. i dont mind the new cyrax and sektor at all, NRS had to do something about them anyway because the kameos already cover the iconic moves (new cyrax goo looks bad though). im quite excited about them and the other new chars, contrary to the anti-heroes in spandex.
Except Ashrah is not female Raiden, Kitana and Mileena are not female Sub and Scorp. They got their own unique moves, storylines, personalities, etc.

And it's not that female Sektor and Tampax genuinely effect the game at all, it's just annoying and a bad precedent that they even did it.

I made piece with the gender swapping because it got leaked months prior. I will also prefer any MK character over a guest any day of the week. However the fact that, as far as guests are concerned, we got characters that are actually worth a damn instead of another batch of zoomer superheroes and it still makes people hot under their collars makes my day better.

Animalities being there makes for a pleasant surprise.