What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Kano Kano's Ruthless Matchup Discussion Thread

Red Hood MKX

Mercenary dog
Where's all the matchup talk guys? I need advice on SQ dvorah, drunken Bo, and all LK plz.

I got a lil tip fighting dvorah you can zone dvorah if you react to the puddle full screen with insta air kano ball because her recovery is kinda long so it gives us time to punish puddle on reaction full screen if we are fast enough. A few good punishes on her puddle and she is gonna be cautious of throwing out that move often then we are in business to zone all day keep that bugy bitch out. its my best strategy against dvorah right now because fighting that character up close has already giving me cancer

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Where's all the matchup talk guys? I need advice on SQ dvorah, drunken Bo, and all LK plz.
God I struggle so much vs D'vorah :( OS ex upball is the only tip I've got tbh.

No clue on Bo but LK I know some. Your d4 outranges pretty much all his stuff so at max range you can sorta abuse it. VS flame fist there is an OS of sorts with Commando. You can do parry after windmill punches and it will catch the backfist. If he parries your parry recovers slightly faster (you won't get a punish but you'll be plus) and if he starts doing low fireball just switch it up and full combo punish.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Against Drunken BRC I think Cyber is the way to go. His ass movement against mid knives is a real problem for him.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Against Drunken BRC I think Cyber is the way to go. His ass movement against mid knives is a real problem for him.
Actually he can get under them with B4 and meditate/roll gives him movement in DM that he doesn't really get in the others. I reckon Cutthroat might actually be the way to go against DM. Cyber is probably better for DB and Bartitsu.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Actually he can get under them with B4 and meditate/roll gives him movement in DM that he doesn't really get in the others. I reckon Cutthroat might actually be the way to go against DM. Cyber is probably better for DB and Bartitsu.
I have no exp whatsoever, wanna run it some time? PSN MsMiharo

ando1184

Noob
Are you using bo now? If so I'm with msmiharo, games please?

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
I know he can but i don't feel it really helps him. He can't do it on reaction which is big.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Here's some FF Liu stuff. I was really nervous and got wrecked first game but picked it back up. You can see some of the d4 shenanigans I was talking about. I messed up ALL my backdashes after windmill punches and you can clearly see I'm still very new to the MU but it's something.

Gofer_MK_

Banned
Here's some FF Liu stuff. I was really nervous and got wrecked first game but picked it back up. You can see some of the d4 shenanigans I was talking about. I messed up ALL my backdashes after windmill punches and you can clearly see I'm still very new to the MU but it's something.

When is it your turn to press buttons against A-list? :eek:

ando1184

Noob

Nice bud, yeh I went to the lab myself and figured some stuff out. I learned always block WM punches standing because you recover out of block faster to accurately punish or reversal for one. Also if they don't have FF active and you've caught on to when they activate and combo (this is kinda risky but good to know IMO), if you take the last hit of WM punches and they activate FF, they CANT follow up with another WM punches. Idk why this works but I think taking that last hit alters their special cancel timing and can possibly get you out of a bad situation if done at the right time. 112 also interrupts FF activation after blocked WM punches. That's risky too but luckily we can do 1 ex ball/kanoball with CT and Cyber (also MB Lazer), or 1 parry/ex choke/ex command grab with Commando. Vs LK in general, d4 is our best friend. Just try to stay at max range and we can constantly spam it almost, plus it avoid his parry so it's really abuseable. Thanks for that one @MsMiharo, That's all I got for now :)

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Nice bud, yeh I went to the lab myself and figured some stuff out. I learned always block WM punches standing because you recover out of block faster to accurately punish or reversal for one. Also if they don't have FF active and you've caught on to when they activate and combo (this is kinda risky but good to know IMO), if you take the last hit of WM punches and they activate FF, they CANT follow up with another WM punches. Idk why this works but I think taking that last hit alters their special cancel timing and can possibly get you out of a bad situation if done at the right time. 112 also interrupts FF activation after blocked WM punches. That's risky too but luckily we can do 1 ex ball/kanoball with CT and Cyber (also MB Lazer), or 1 parry/ex choke/ex command grab with Commando. Vs LK in general, d4 is our best friend. Just try to stay at max range and we can constantly spam it almost, plus it avoid his parry so it's really abuseable. Thanks for that one @MsMiharo, That's all I got for now :)
I'm thinking ex straight laser should beat all options after windmill punches. That might be huge in this MU. Gonna lab it.

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
@MsMiharo: We've had some discussion about Alien/Kano matchups from both sides. Have you faced a good Konjurer yet? I feel like no one plays it but at this point I feel like it's the best of the three variations in some matchups (including Kano). I find Drone Drop mitigates the zoning issue and generally wins projectile trades and the rest is Alien imposing his mixups and forcing Kano to hold block as much as possible with drones/facehuggers. I could see CT/Konjurer being a pretty intense matchup.

Last edited:

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
@MsMiharo: We've had some discussion about Alien/Kano matchups from both sides. Have you faced a good Konjurer yet? I feel like no one plays it but at this point I feel like it's the best of the three variations in some matchups (including Kano). I find Drone Drop mitigates the zoning issue and generally wins projectile trades and the rest is Alien imposing his mixups and forcing Kano to hold block as much as possible with drones/facehuggers. I could see CT/Konjurer being a pretty intense matchup.
Konjurer is the only variation that MIGHT make me switch from cyber to ct (or commando) but tbh I haven't struggled yet. Drop is annoying but knives are faster so you can avoid trades. I haven't played a dedicated main but I don't see what he could do that really turns the MU. Every right guess on his 50/50 sends him full screen. Kano can backdash most egg setups. Alien has to hope for drone trade and random egg setups. Also he can't punish b2 laser iirc.

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
Konjurer is the only variation that MIGHT make me switch from cyber to ct (or commando) but tbh I haven't struggled yet. Drop is annoying but knives are faster so you can avoid trades. I haven't played a dedicated main but I don't see what he could do that really turns the MU. Every right guess on his 50/50 sends him full screen. Kano can backdash most egg setups. Alien has to hope for drone trade and random egg setups. Also he can't punish b2 laser iirc.
I'd be curious to see how it goes down the road. Knives are faster but that just means as Konjurer you have to be smart about your timing. For me Drone Drop is less about forcing trades and more about equalling the playing field so you don't spend the entire match reacting and/or just trying to get in. With the 50/50s, all of his strings are identical across all variations except for one that's changed in Tarkatan, so right guesses hurt them all equally, except that I feel like Konjurer is hurt the least since he has response(s) to zoning. As far as facehuggers, speaking from experience because I did this too, I think there's a tendency for new players to throw them out willynilly and get punished for a big tempo loss. Once you learn better timing and get smart with them there's a ton of non-random stuff you can do with huggers to get into the opponent's head.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
I'd be curious to see how it goes down the road. Knives are faster but that just means as Konjurer you have to be smart about your timing. For me Drone Drop is less about forcing trades and more about equalling the playing field so you don't spend the entire match reacting and/or just trying to get in. With the 50/50s, all of his strings are identical across all variations except for one that's changed in Tarkatan, so right guesses hurt them all equally, except that I feel like Konjurer is hurt the least since he has response(s) to zoning. As far as facehuggers, speaking from experience because I did this too, I think there's a tendency for new players to throw them out willynilly and get punished for a big tempo loss. Once you learn better timing and get smart with them there's a ton of non-random stuff you can do with huggers to get into the opponent's head.
Yeah I think the MU is pretty even but I probably need to flesh it out. I just feel Kano (cyber especially) has better tools than most.

Legion DC

"Another weakling..."
Guys, what do I do against Liu Kang's block infinite pressure? I have to block until he stops or attempts a throw? With Reptile I can ex slide and break his pressure. With Kano I don't have a clue. Do y'all?

jokey77

Character Loyalist
Yesterday I played some matches against @Jupe and I felt pretty outpicked. Especially during our mirror matches ;) , but also once he switched to Jacqui. Not only does this girl wreck my Predator, but also my CT... :(

I guess, I really need a Pocket-Ninjutsu too.