What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Kano Kano's Ruthless Matchup Discussion Thread

ando1184

Noob
Who has a good understanding in the shinnok matchup? I struggle vs all variations honestly but yeh, imposter more than most.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Who has a good understanding in the shinnok matchup? I struggle vs all variations honestly but yeh, imposter more than most.
Kano actually does well against Impostor, especially since Shinnok can't vortex since he steals ball. You just have to space yourself properly against hell sparks, if you see hell sparks instant air ball past them to punish him. There's a specific spacing where this is best done but I can't remember what it is, I haven't played the matchup in a while lol. You'll find it relatively quickly if you jump in the lab though, I think it's around where the second hellspark hits. Then once you've showed them you can deal with hell sparks it lets you control that space and you can use DB1/F4/etc

ando1184

Noob
So is cyber still the best bet vs bo? I'm referring to stick and drunken variations specifically. But the character seems to just have the same bs for the most part across all variations

ando1184

Noob
How does one go about the ermac matchup? Just fought a good one for the first time, and I gotta say I felt a little overwhelmed. I felt like he could always press buttons when he wanted. This is mystic but I'm sure his frame data is the same for his strings and normals and after seeing he's relatively safe off his strings and has a 6f d1, omg. Any advice?

Youphemism

How does one go about the ermac matchup? Just fought a good one for the first time, and I gotta say I felt a little overwhelmed. I felt like he could always press buttons when he wanted. This is mystic but I'm sure his frame data is the same for his strings and normals and after seeing he's relatively safe off his strings and has a 6f d1, omg. Any advice?
Which variation? Cutthroat is best against Ermac I've found from having played Ermac a million times lol

Jupe

Noob
Cutthroat is definitely the go-to variation in this mu. You can punish mystic's non ex push with kanoball from any range. You can also punish his low/low and low/overhead string but the timing is kinda strict and weird so you wanna lab that. Can't remember ermac's inputs, but the string that ends in a spinning kick has an armorable gap before the last hit.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Cutthroat is definitely the go-to variation in this mu. You can punish mystic's non ex push with kanoball from any range. You can also punish his low/low and low/overhead string but the timing is kinda strict and weird so you wanna lab that. Can't remember ermac's inputs, but the string that ends in a spinning kick has an armorable gap before the last hit.
Isn't CT the go-to for every MU except for GM? Commando is cute but it's awfully obsolete.

ando1184

Noob
Thanks for the info guys, I'm fairly comfortable with the gaps and whatnot but how exactly is the matchup supposed to be played. I mean am I zoning, rushing in 50/50 to death, baiting whiffs? I'm just lost trying to establish a neutral and getting the flow of how I should be playing and opening up this character. He does b124 a lot which is 0 on block and like you said, punishing b31 and b34 on block has a very specific window that complicates it pretty badly. Oh and ex upball is almost useless bc d3 low profiles it. On wakeup I got punished bc he d3'd then punished me on the way down bc d3 recovers so fast. This also happened after a blocked slice :(

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Does d3 low profile EX Kano ball? If it doesn't then you should obviously start using that to condition him to block on knocking you down.
I also don't think you should be zoning much since Ermac really doesn't care about zoning, just rush in, 50/50 him to death and use your safety to avoid getting put into a 50/50 situation yourself.

Youphemism

Wait which Kano ball? Straight or air? It doesn't punish from further away.

Jupe

Noob
Weird hitbox stuff against johnny cage. If someone can find a way to make the second hit of 11 whiff consistently, would be huge. I'm releasing block after blocking the first hit:

Weird hitbox stuff against johnny cage. If someone can find a way to make the second hit of 11 whiff consistently, would be huge. I'm releasing block after blocking the first hit:
Go watch Pig's red hot sunday M2dave did it regularly with Tremor you can ask him how he did

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
It's just random, even 12 whiffs sometimes.
When Kano is cornered the whiffing intensifies too...fucking Kano

Go watch Pig's red hot sunday M2dave did it regularly with Tremor you can ask him how he did
Tremor hurtbox is just more broken than Kano's, there is no trick. 12 and 11 will whiff most of the time

Jupe

Noob
that's where i got the idea from but like @Asodimazze said it depends on the hurtbox. Wondering if there's a way to make it whiff with kano consistently or at least know from certain ranges that it will whiff.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
I happened to watch my friend's GMSZ (GrandMaster Sub Zero) against Cutthroat Kano. This dude was very good. I would say that they're kind of equal.