What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Kano Kano's Ruthless Matchup Discussion Thread

Red Hood MKX

Mercenary dog
Which variation do you struggle with?
Well i use cutthroat for both these characters seing how cyber just doesn't cut it against these guys. With takeda (shirai ryu) biggest problem is range with shinnkok(bonshaper)you cant really do anything about hell sparks with kano or maybe im missing something and shinnoks beam does more damage so you cant really zone him so i just see it as a losing match up any tips would help

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Well i use cutthroat for both these characters seing how cyber just doesn't cut it against these guys. With takeda (shirai ryu) biggest problem is range with shinnkok(bonshaper)you cant really do anything about hell sparks with kano or maybe im missing something and shinnoks beam does more damage so you cant really zone him so i just see it as a losing match up any tips would help
For Takeda use db1 range to contest his, but tbh I prefer commando. A lot of Takeda's like to whiff the first part of a string so you can parry the second part. Also 22 range really helps to get in. Cyber is a no go.

Shinnok I struggle with but I feel Cutthroat does the best. Once you get past HS keep him floored. He has no safe way to get up in any variation. If impostor's teleports are giving you hell, practice jabbing or d2'ing him out of it. It can be done with practice.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
I'm pretty sure you can instant air ball on reaction to hell sparks as long as you keep yourself at the right distance from Shinnok. You'll probably want to play Cutthroat to take advantage of when you get in the most. Cybernetic handles Impostor fine but Cutthroat is better for Bone Shaper since you can't contest his Dark Beam zoning.

Youphemism

Well, we know CT isn't a good choice agains Kitana. Jupe was annihilated in ESL today.
Those things have no correlation. Jupe also lost to Pyromancer at Viennality, doesn't mean it beats Cutthroat. There is such a thing as a lack of matchup knowledge.

Red Hood MKX

Mercenary dog
For Takeda use db1 range to contest his, but tbh I prefer commando. A lot of Takeda's like to whiff the first part of a string so you can parry the second part. Also 22 range really helps to get in. Cyber is a no go.

Shinnok I struggle with but I feel Cutthroat does the best. Once you get past HS keep him floored. He has no safe way to get up in any variation. If impostor's teleports are giving you hell, practice jabbing or d2'ing him out of it. It can be done with practice.

i dont really have a problem with imposter its just bonshaper any character that cant do nothing about hell sparks is gonna have tough time against shinnok gonna lab insta air kano ball anything to help against this match up

Preciate the tips bro

Jupe

Noob
Well, we know CT isn't a good choice agains Kitana. Jupe was annihilated in ESL today.
I didn't lose the game because the matchup is bad. I because the opponent played better than I did, partly because I have over 39C fever today, but mostly because he's a really good player.

In those 3 matches I used upball as an anti-air 0 times, and got caught using d2 against the float maybe 6 times. I got caught not blocking low against kitana when she didn't have xray. I dropped easy combos. I noticed all these things during the games but playing mk while sick makes you do stupid things and not adapt.

EDIT:
Those things have no correlation. Jupe also lost to Pyromancer at Viennality, doesn't mean it beats Cutthroat. There is such a thing as a lack of matchup knowledge.
I also lost to a Raiden, and that mu is like 7-3 in kano's favour imo. There are a lot of factors involved in one set, mu knowledge, player skill, nerves etc. involved. Can't draw conclusions from just one set.

Last edited:

Gofer_MK_

Banned
I didn't lose the game because the matchup is bad. I because the opponent played better than I did, partly because I have over 39C fever today, but mostly because he's a really good player.

In those 3 matches I used upball as an anti-air 0 times, and got caught using d2 against the float maybe 6 times. I got caught not blocking low against kitana when she didn't have xray. I dropped easy combos. I noticed all these things during the games but playing mk while sick makes you do stupid things and not adapt.

EDIT:

I also lost to a Raiden, and that mu is like 7-3 in kano's favour imo. There are a lot of factors involved in one set, mu knowledge, player skill, nerves etc. involved. Can't draw conclusions from just one set.
I'm never getting out of my corner ever again.:oops:

Gofer_MK_

Banned
Real talk I think the MU is even, and I think ct is kano's best variation for that matchup. Just can't let kitana jump for free like I did and keep her cornered.
Yeah, the thing is, that MKX has over a year, and I can't figure out why people still jump agains Kitana. Saw this mistake done a couple of times yesturday by various players. The urge to jumps is just too strong or what? And wouldn't Cybernetic be possibly a better MU agains her?

Youphemism

Real talk I think the MU is even, and I think ct is kano's best variation for that matchup. Just can't let kitana jump for free like I did and keep her cornered.
Interesting, I think Cybernetic is the best choice and is also even. I guess both work well :D

ando1184

Noob
I lost to Kitana today too. I don't have proper MU knowledge with this MU. That being said, I think I was having more success as CT over Cyber. Granted I forgot about the up lazer and I couldn't AA to save my life. :(

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
I lost to Kitana today too. I don't have proper MU knowledge with this MU. That being said, I think I was having more success as CT over Cyber. Granted I forgot about the up lazer and I couldn't AA to save my life. :(
I have very little exp but in theory air laser should shut down her Float gimmicks. But then again, trading with her fans is even worse than in CT

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
I hate the MU but I feel alien is not bad for Kano. Meterless punishes on his 50/50 ender are pretty huge. Good armor mean he can't just shit on you, cyber mid knives beat his crawl.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
I think it's a 50/50 mu fighting a really good alien. Mid knives and db1 laser both mb gives him that extra stun to go in and do some work. Also with far reaching s2 & d4 into up ball seems to give alien users a hard time getting in and giving g kano much needed room from the push back. Also with the knife pressures keeping alien at bay. It's the acid and the stupid pounce with his ridiculous long reaches you have to worry about but I'm reluctant to say cyber wins in a over 50% time in that mu.

Against Kitana I would go cyber too. Just for the trades in fans to knives. It's just cybernetic lacks the closing out of the match due to not having that CT power. It's a toss up aslo blade slice is a nice AA on Kitana floaty moves and her jump where as up laser just pushes them further from kano.

I wonder. I've never fought both dudes with commando before. Does anyone know of the mu against Kitana or Alien? I've dealt with leatherface and Bo with commando but not so much with alien.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
I think it's a 50/50 mu fighting a really good alien. Mid knives and db1 laser both mb gives him that extra stun to go in and do some work. Also with far reaching s2 & d4 into up ball seems to give alien users a hard time getting in and giving g kano much needed room from the push back. Also with the knife pressures keeping alien at bay. It's the acid and the stupid pounce with his ridiculous long reaches you have to worry about but I'm reluctant to say cyber wins in a over 50% time in that mu.

Against Kitana I would go cyber too. Just for the trades in fans to knives. It's just cybernetic lacks the closing out of the match due to not having that CT power. It's a toss up aslo blade slice is a nice AA on Kitana floaty moves and her jump where as up laser just pushes them further from kano.

I wonder. I've never fought both dudes with commando before. Does anyone know of the mu against Kitana or Alien? I've dealt with leatherface and Bo with commando but not so much with alien.
Commando does fine but I wouldn't see it as the go to variation. High knives contest kitanaa fans, parry and command grab is good against her stagger shenanigans, choke beats out her jump in game.

Vs alien it's fine but you don't gain much. 22 is good for closing the range but that's it.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
Yeah I assumed so. Guess I'll stick with cyber but man CT is really dangerous!

CT is really close to being so called balanced over all character wise it's really proving me wrong that mkxl can have at least one balanced variation but I'm looking at having kano balanced over all. He's very close but lacks certain things which we all can talk about till the cows come home. I think CT can still win almost any mu in my opinion.

Guess the jury is in CT it is.

But back to cyber. Since I've took him as far has I can ( but I still break that 4th again & again no doubt) I still have 2 match ups I'm really struggling with.

Takeda Takahashi in his blasted Shirai Ryu variation dealing with his superior speed and range with his ability to get in and stay on top of cyber. Is cyber the right choice to this mu? Commando can parry so much till it's telegraphed and the whips do cmd no justice. Some tips would help greatly here.

And Quan Chi. I swear Quan is my cobalt. My kryptonite.

Any tips guys?

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Yeah I assumed so. Guess I'll stick with cyber but man CT is really dangerous!

CT is really close to being so called balanced over all character wise it's really proving me wrong that mkxl can have at least one balanced variation but I'm looking at having kano balanced over all. He's very close but lacks certain things which we all can talk about till the cows come home. I think CT can still win almost any mu in my opinion.

Guess the jury is in CT it is.

But back to cyber. Since I've took him as far has I can ( but I still break that 4th again & again no doubt) I still have 2 match ups I'm really struggling with.

Takeda Takahashi in his blasted Shirai Ryu variation dealing with his superior speed and range with his ability to get in and stay on top of cyber. Is cyber the right choice to this mu? Commando can parry so much till it's telegraphed and the whips do cmd no justice. Some tips would help greatly here.

And Quan Chi. I swear Quan is my cobalt. My kryptonite.

Any tips guys?
CT for both. Cyber is horrible vs Takeda because kunai beat knives. Commando is ok if your opponent likes whiffing normals from afar. After a KD, run in 11 is pretty legit for breaking SRs armor. Vs ronin commando is decent because he doesn't get locked down by b1 but overall Ct is better

Vs Quan use cutthroat. Get in and pressure him on WU. Make good reads on air ball. Guess right on the 50/50.

ando1184

Noob
I hate the MU but I feel alien is not bad for Kano. Meterless punishes on his 50/50 ender are pretty huge. Good armor mean he can't just shit on you, cyber mid knives beat his crawl.
Why is it that mid knives beat alien's crawl but not mileena's roll? Why would they make her hitbox that small?!?

ando1184

Noob
What's everyone's opinion on CT vs SQ? Idk if it was bc it was online or if I'm just really scrubby with that matchup but I went a ft10 set vs toptierharley earlier and went 8-10 him. It felt like whoever got momentum first would be the victor......does that sound about right?