What's new

General/Other - Cutthroat Kano's Cutthroat Variation Discussion Thread

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Something I've been using since launch is the run cancel. I've got the run down as quick as one can do it, and when you are applying pressure 9/10 times peoples reaction is to block because they feel unsafe. Walking up is too slow, dashing for it is too unsafe, and B1 has too little reach.

For example, when poking if I land a D4 I'll throw out a F4 knee once or twice and catch them. Soon they learn to continue blocking after a D4, which allows me to run into an instant 50/50. No one can react fast enough in real time if you can run cancel well to hit you before you do B1 or B3. Also, when you land a D3 at close range you have a 50/50 free too. If you're right on them B1 will hit at all times, if not when you land it you can take a slight walk forward and do the mixup. If you're at max range don't try it though because the walk is too unsafe and you lose advantage.
D 4 knee d4 run 50/50. I like it

Also I have noticed that db1 hits from a little more than half screen away and might even be more like 3/4 screen away. It is also much more safe. I could space it to where subs 5 frame slide couldn't punish it.

Go full screen and do it once, take a slight step forward, and you will be at magic range.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
D 4 knee d4 run 50/50. I like it

Also I have noticed that db1 hits from a little more than half screen away and might even be more like 3/4 screen away. It is also much more safe. I could space it to where subs 5 frame slide couldn't punish it.

Go full screen and do it once, take a slight step forward, and you will be at magic range.
Haha yea man it works really, really good. They have to respect that "I hit you know matter what you do" knee once they get caught with it after a D4 once or twice, especially if you linked F4 into EX DB1 the first time. After that they're free to the run cancel.

Db1 is a really good footsie tool that people aren't using much yet. I throw it out around mid screen as well but need to use it more. Surprisingly, it catches people ever so often which makes them naturally block from being in stun, leading to the run cancel 50/50. The run is the number 1 way Kano gets his mixups in Cutthroat because he has so many attacks that leave him with big enough advantage to mix them up. He's going to be really good as this game evolves because he has no true "weakness" outside of unsafe wakeups that almost everyone has.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Haha yea man it works really, really good. They have to respect that "I hit you know matter what you do" knee once they get caught with it after a D4 once or twice, especially if you linked F4 into EX DB1 the first time. After that they're free to the run cancel.

Db1 is a really good footsie tool that people aren't using much yet. I throw it out around mid screen as well but need to use it more. Surprisingly, it catches people ever so often which makes them naturally block from being in stun, leading to the run cancel 50/50. The run is the number 1 way Kano gets his mixups in Cutthroat because he has so many attacks that leave him with big enough advantage to mix them up. He's going to be really good as this game evolves because he has no true "weakness" outside of unsafe wakeups that almost everyone has.
I hope so.

Dat eh Kano ball cancel on wake up though

chores

bad at things
Something I've been using since launch is the run cancel. I've got the run down as quick as one can do it, and when you are applying pressure 9/10 times peoples reaction is to block because they feel unsafe. Walking up is too slow, dashing for it is too unsafe, and B1 has too little reach.

For example, when poking if I land a D4 I'll throw out a F4 knee once or twice and catch them. Soon they learn to continue blocking after a D4, which allows me to run into an instant 50/50. No one can react fast enough in real time if you can run cancel well to hit you before you do B1 or B3. Also, when you land a D3 at close range you have a 50/50 free too. If you're right on them B1 will hit at all times, if not when you land it you can take a slight walk forward and do the mixup. If you're at max range don't try it though because the walk is too unsafe and you lose advantage.
run cancel after a connected f4 seems to work on people as well. although connected f4 into throw is one of my favorite things to do as kano. just seems so frustrating.

anyways i suppose a blocked jump in 1 puts you in 50/50 range and at neutral as well although i never do that

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
run cancel after a connected f4 seems to work on people as well. although connected f4 into throw is one of my favorite things to do as kano. just seems so frustrating.

anyways i suppose a blocked jump in 1 puts you in 50/50 range and at neutral as well although i never do that
Yea I think I was doing grab until recently because Cyber Kano was conditioning me too. It works great too after a landed one, I agree.

I didn't mention a blocked jumping attack because I thought that automatically came with the territory haha.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
I enjoyed the exchange @SaltShaker & @AK L0rdoftheFLY

I started Cutthroat day 1, but then discovered b1 & knives in cyber and shelved it. But 2 days ago got back at cutthroat looking for stuff. This has expanded my idea's. Looking forward to see what else comes out now.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game

Yea I think I was doing grab until recently because Cyber Kano was conditioning me too. It works great too after a landed one, I agree.

I didn't mention a blocked jumping attack because I thought that automatically came with the territory haha.
A blocked Jip to b1 almost never connects for me. This is another problem of b1 range hence why I made these posts

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
A blocked Jip to b1 almost never connects for me. This is another problem of b1 range hence why I made these posts
It's situational I'd say. If I'm not sure of the distance I use a number of strings or the B3 to keep them blocking low. But if I land right on top of them with Jip I go with B1 sometimes because by then they aren't blocking high. You have to do the jip a little later than usual and then you should be able to B1 more often.

However, there's been times that I "thought" I was right on them and it somehow whiffed, but other times if I'm right on them after the block it'll connect or be blocked 9/10 times. In practice mode it's easier than actual game speed so I'm not sure if it's a "need to keep leveling up" thing or a "not consistent enough for tournament matches" thing. I've always had really good execution so I think time will tell with this one.

I really, really hope they extend the range on B1 though because I honestly feel like as of now the only 100% consistent way to land the 50/50 is with run cancels or poke advantage.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
I really, really hope they extend the range on B1 though because I honestly feel like as of now the only 100% consistent way to land the 50/50 is with run cancels or poke advantage.
It would be nice to get additional range, but I imagine that the nonexistent range is to prevent him from being too powerful.

Plop

Noob
I main cyber Kano, but I'm trying to get the other two down as well.
I've been measing around in training mode and I think I've picked up cutthroat ok. Commando is gonna take a lot of work though seeing as I've never played a grappler in my life.

Anyway, how viable a strategy is using buff after a knockdown with kanoball, then immediately blocking and punishing silly wake ups for almost 50%?
I've tested it against a few characters and it seems Tk be pretty safe. I imagine seeing the power move would make people panic into doing something stupid just to try and knock him out of it?

I haven't actually played any cutthroat matches get so j was just wondering how you lot use the buff move?

Glass Sword

Nobody
I found something weird while practicing B1 sometimes whiffs point blank on a crouch blocking Cassie Cage. This sometimes happens never sometimes several times in a row. Can somebody else confirm this?

MrH

Noob
So I'm looking to learn Cutthroat Kano as my second character and I'm wondering if anyone that's very good with him would be able to post a simple BnB? I watch many videos with 20 slightly different combos and honestly my brain isn't going to remember them all, I just want a simple list of must know combos that I can pull off consistently. No meter, meter, corner, Xray etc. And they don't have to be the absolute highest DMG, if it's 4% less but much easier to land that's great for me.

Thanks for any advice.

Derocus

'The Cage Mage'
So I'm looking to learn Cutthroat Kano as my second character and I'm wondering if anyone that's very good with him would be able to post a simple BnB? I watch many videos with 20 slightly different combos and honestly my brain isn't going to remember them all, I just want a simple list of must know combos that I can pull off consistently. No meter, meter, corner, Xray etc. And they don't have to be the absolute highest DMG, if it's 4% less but much easier to land that's great for me.

Thanks for any advice.
Notations in descriptions.
You're welcome :cool:

MrH

Noob
Thanks, I'm struggling a bit though, for some reason the Kano ball never wants to come out after the knee at the end of combos. Any tips or insight would be great.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Thanks, I'm struggling a bit though, for some reason the Kano ball never wants to come out after the knee at the end of combos. Any tips or insight would be great.
Make sure that they are elevated enough in the air when landing the knee, and input ball almost immediately after. Takes a little practice but once you get it down it gets easier.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game

Thanks for any advice.
I use f212 f212 run cancel 112 ball

Or

F212 f212 rc 112 eh db1 112 ball

zHowieHD

Caged
So i figured out Cutthroats over head whiffs on certain Characters.usually when crouch blocking.Youd have to be closer than usuall to hit them with the over head.

Kitanas a good example

So i figured out Cutthroats over head whiffs on certain Characters.usually when crouch blocking.Youd have to be closer than usuall to hit them with the over head.

Kitanas a good example
Just use B121 - only after DASH IN or RUN IN to your opponent. This way it shall never whiffs.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust

Kitanas a good example
I found something weird while practicing B1 sometimes whiffs point blank on a crouch blocking Cassie Cage. This sometimes happens never sometimes several times in a row. Can somebody else confirm this?
It's best to use the run cancel into an instant 50/50 to ensure it never whiffs. Walking up or just throwing it out is too risky. If you have no choice in the pace of a match throw out the B3 option, but run cancel the B1.

Also everyone I'm going to update the OP really soon. Everyone feel free to add as I'll be putting up a lot.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
How are you guys using Db1? Other than EX db1 combos of course.

The more and more I play Cutthroat the more I'm starting to use it as a huge long range poke.