What's new

General/Other - Cutthroat Kano's Cutthroat Variation Discussion Thread

Obmil

When is Kano trident rush?!
MB charge cancel for frame traps. Has armor if they try to poke you, punish for full super damage combo.

But you take damage for the non-ex version, up to 15% if you go the full duration without being knocked out of it.

A few of us discussed it a dozen or so posts back.

Killusion

Stream addict
Has anyone started using meter burn throw to start a 50/50's yet?

Going to test how successful these are going to be in corner:
B121 xx DF2, 11, MB throw for new 50/50, does 21% into reset
B312, 11, 11, MB throw for new 50/50, does 20% into reset
F212, F212. 11, MB throw for new 50/50, does 23% into reset

Killusion

Stream addict
Converting anti-airs into decent damage, try these out if you find the correct spacing:

anti-air 4, DB1EX, NJP, Run, 112 xx BF3 33%
anti-air F4, DB1EX, NJP, Run, 112 xx BF3 31%
anti-air B1, DB1EX, NJP, Run, 112 xx BF3 31%
anti-air 3, DB1EX, NJP, Run, 112 xx BF3 31%

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Has anyone started using meter burn throw to start a 50/50's yet?

Going to test how successful these are going to be in corner:
B121 xx DF2, 11, MB throw for new 50/50, does 21% into reset
B312, 11, 11, MB throw for new 50/50, does 20% into reset
F212, F212. 11, MB throw for new 50/50, does 23% into reset
Midscreen I think it wouldn't be as good as some other 50/50 characters because B1 has no range. In the corner this may be a good idea though.

Killusion

Stream addict
Should we add advantages of playing Cutthroat in op?

I was thinking something like this:

String F212
-Leads to easy 29-30% meterless combos in midscreen
-Moves Kano forward nicely, decent for whiff punishing and footsies in general

String B121
-Kano's only overhead string, allows Kano to do real 50/50's.
-B1 moves Kano backwards, which can be good in footsies

Special move DB1
-Special move that allows Kano to hit confirm any hit to ~35% combo from anywhere with 1 bar of meter

Special move DD3
-power-up move, buffs Kano's damage for a short while or until he gets hit. Makes Kano even more dangerous

Anything else?

BRUTALITY

Banned
i havent researched kano but i love playing him and im just finding my own way so sorry if this is known but i noticed some things

corner:
b123 b123 112 MBswipe njp 112 upball = 48% 1 bar

and i dunno what you guys can / cant do from this but in the corner you can b123, 11 njp > combo . its hard to do i dunno if its worth it give it a shot and see what you get.

whats cut throat kanos most practical bnb's at the moment? midscreen and corner appreciated. should be practical and meter considerate

Should we add advantages of playing Cutthroat in op?

I was thinking something like this:

String F212
-Leads to easy 29-30% meterless combos in midscreen
-Moves Kano forward nicely, decent for whiff punishing and footsies in general

String B121
-Kano's only overhead string, allows Kano to do real 50/50's.
-B1 moves Kano backwards, which can be good in footsies

Special move DB1
-Special move that allows Kano to hit confirm any hit to ~35% combo from anywhere with 1 bar of meter

Special move DD3
-power-up move, buffs Kano's damage for a short while or until he gets hit. Makes Kano even more dangerous

Anything else?
Good idea. Can we add this to the OP?

Also, people new to Cutthroat may want to note that Kano's 2f4 will not come out if you hold down forward before the 2. As it will with the other two variations, be careful when using Cutthroat to hit that combo exactly as indicated in the move list. The reason is that f2 is a command normal exclusive to this variation. That said, as you'll more likely be wanting to stay up close with this one, 2f4 might not be too useful, as it sends opponent just under full screen.

Last edited:

chores

bad at things
i havent researched kano but i love playing him and im just finding my own way so sorry if this is known but i noticed some things

corner:
b123 b123 112 MBswipe njp 112 upball = 48% 1 bar

and i dunno what you guys can / cant do from this but in the corner you can b123, 11 njp > combo . its hard to do i dunno if its worth it give it a shot and see what you get.

whats cut throat kanos most practical bnb's at the moment? midscreen and corner appreciated. should be practical and meter considerate
i do weak combos so i can hit them online

variations of:
112xxEX Slice, njp, f21xxKanoball
f212, f21xxEX Slice, 4xxKanoball

corner:
b312, 32xxEX Slice, njp, 32xxKanoball i think 39% and free buff from hard knockdown
b121xxKnife throw, 32xxEX Slice, njp, 32xxKanoball 38%

BRUTALITY

Banned

variations of:

corner:
b312, 32xxEX Slice, njp, 32xxKanoball i think 39% and free buff from hard knockdown
in the corner my combos are no problem. but kano midscreen damage is average. ill try these mid screen combos tonight

BRUTALITY

Banned

variations of:

corner:
actually that b121 starter is better than mine in the corner. how do you combo after b121 knife toss? i never tried but cant imagine it.

i have a better and easy corner combo from b321 though:
b321 11 112 EXswipe 32 ball i think thats 40%. i found a simple practical 42% last night but i forgot it, ill rediscover it tonight lol but from memory ir was like b321 32 EXswipe njp 112 ball (ill clarify tonight)

chores

bad at things
actually that b121 starter is better than mine in the corner. how do you combo after b121 knife toss? i never tried but cant imagine it.

i have a better and easy corner combo from b321 though:
b321 11 112 EXswipe 32 ball i think thats 40%. i found a simple practical 42% last night but i forgot it, ill rediscover it tonight lol but from memory ir was like b321 32 EXswipe njp 112 ball (ill clarify tonight)
just mash it all out b121df2 and it comes out fine. you could probably connect a 11, 32xxEX Slice after, idk. im for sure stealing your b321 haha seems not bad to hit online

what i want now is peoples max damage "meterless" combo off of an EX Kanoball cancel. I know of course its 1 bar to start but thats becoming my goto wakeup. right now im waking up with EX Kanoball, cancel into 212, 4xxKanoball

EDIT: i see what you are saying -- its because b121 is special cancellable after the third hit unlike all his other 3 hit strings

Derocus

'The Cage Mage'
I'd recommend just a 32xxExSlice, NJP, 32xxKanoball after your high/low corner launcher, it's much more reliable.

In the corner I've found
Overhead: B121, DF2 ,11, 112, Ex slice, NJP, 3, Kanoball (40% and leads to buff move, you can avoid the 11 string and go directly for 112 for 39%)
Low (Pretty much like a previous poster said) : B321, 112, Ex slice, NJP, 3, kanoball (40% and leads to buff move)

I'm not really sure, the overhead is problematic because it has poor range, what I've been focusing on is to finish my combos in upward kano ball (DB2) because it has great corner carry, once they are in the corner I just go in with the low and overhead, and watch out for reversals.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I'm not really sure, the overhead is problematic because it has poor range, what I've been focusing on is to finish my combos in upward kano ball (DB2) because it has great corner carry, once they are in the corner I just go in with the low and overhead, and watch out for reversals.
How viable is run canceling into them?

Imagine landing a regular db1 then run canceling into b1 or b3.

I have also used 32 (0 on block) into d3, b1, b3 etc.

If they don't have anything faster than 7 frames, you technically have a loop up close.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters

If they don't have anything faster than 7 frames, you technically have a loop up close.
This has also been an idea of mine. It seems solid. I have trained it but I haven't put it into practice in a match yet. And of course that'll be online so I can't say for sure how good it truly is. .

I see, thats seems like some good options, I'll try it tomorrow.

I also think once kano gets you in the corner, you are toast (Kinda like E. Ryu in USF4) especially this variation, so I tried to find how good is the upward kano ball for corner carry the good thing is if I'm not mistaken (I'll check again tomorrow) from starting position he takes them almost to the corner, but you have to dash in, I tried that against jax Ex dash fist, and got blown up, most of times so I needed to cancel the run.

BUT
If you block the wake up attack and punish with another combo ending in upward kano ball will place them in the corner, and then you can start the mix ups.

I'll test this deeply tomorrow or depending how busy I am, maybe by friday.
I'll try with most wake up options with characters without teleport.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
This has also been an idea of mine. It seems solid. I have trained it but I haven't put it into practice in a match yet. And of course that'll be online so I can't say for sure how good it truly is. .
I was going to go cyber Kano for his zoning but then I realized it's better to have a 50/50 of which he has none.

My favorite combo is this:
2 bars - b12 eh db1 f212 run cancel 112 eh db1 112 bf3 44% - 59% - 67% (the last obviously uses the third bar)

Starting with jip 112 you get 46% - 61% - 69%

Yinze

"Tell me, do you bleed?...You will."
We should really get some videos going. Much easier to understand with actual visuals, match footage etc

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
What's the best way to set up his b1 overhead and his b3 low in the neutral game?

Something I've been using since launch is the run cancel. I've got the run down as quick as one can do it, and when you are applying pressure 9/10 times peoples reaction is to block because they feel unsafe. Walking up is too slow, dashing for it is too unsafe, and B1 has too little reach.

For example, when poking if I land a D4 I'll throw out a F4 knee once or twice and catch them. Soon they learn to continue blocking after a D4, which allows me to run into an instant 50/50. No one can react fast enough in real time if you can run cancel well to hit you before you do B1 or B3. Also, when you land a D3 at close range you have a 50/50 free too. If you're right on them B1 will hit at all times, if not when you land it you can take a slight walk forward and do the mixup. If you're at max range don't try it though because the walk is too unsafe and you lose advantage.