What's new

Kano strategy

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
I dont think his buffs are enough to make him S-tier. Other characters like Nightwolf can shut down Kano if played right, and others like Ermac or kung lao can still give you trouble.
Another character which gives him a ton of trouble is Sektor, which is a fairly unpopular character at the moment. But, trust me, a good Sektor will destroy Kano. Reptile, as well, in my experience can give Kano quite a bit of grief and best him, also.

Kano plays VERY differently against skilled opponents. The only ball I risk doing is the up ball, other than that, I don't use them. They're far too risky, easily blocked and are punished by full combos. So, in those matches, all he has is his knife, up ball, his mixups which are good but his overhead is slow as molasses and his 41% unblockable x-ray with super armor; but it can be easily avoided if the opponent simply jumps. It's still not bad, but S-tier is somewhat debatable.

D.Barrett

Pad Warrior
Yea, Sektor is a really fun character as well. I dont understand why not too many people have picked him up. Great damage of a 50/50 guess. But thats junk for the Sektor forum.

Best way to beat Sektor is what? Rush down and bait Teleports? Cuz i havent run by any really skilled Sektors.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Whats up guys I found if your lucky enough to land the over head string near but not at wall and end with a knife (b2,F1~db+2) you can get a free kano ball easily and other stuff depending on distance like b112, air ball, 212.

Or if you are feeling super lucky can go for this (never gonna happen in a match)

I've said it in other threads but felt it should be said here as well. Yes the new up ball is great but Kano is still far from broken. His wakeup is terrible in my opinion. Choke and EX choke can be ducked and punished no problem. I was fighting last night on a rare good connection. The other player would get me down and just do a simple d+3 or 4 and beat out my wakeups. Sure you can just get up block but if someone is in your face Kano has a hard time with the pressure. It may just be me. And wakeup up ball gets beaten out by everything. A combo string will beat it. And I think teleporters can give him alittle trouble too. Just saying he's beatable that's all. And his overhead is way slow. Slower then much of the rest of the cast.

cyke_out

Noob
I've said it in other threads
Usually, it's been my experience in visiting other forums, that multiple threads are useful to have entirely different lines of discussion. When posting the same point in every single active thread, what happens is that all these multiple threads begin discussing the same things, and you lose sight of the different lines of discussion.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Mgt2

Noob
Guys I am terrible in mirror matches. I just freeze and I don't do my pressure stuff. Good lord lol

Usually, it's been my experience in visiting other forums, that multiple threads are useful to have entirely different lines of discussion. When posting the same point in every single active thread, what happens is that all these multiple threads begin discussing the same things, and you lose sight of the different lines of discussion.

Thank you and have a nice day.
I didnt post the same thing in "every active thread". What I have said applies to the threads I have posted in. They are just my thoughts on Kanos changes and a perceived weakness he may have. Thankyou for only reading the first line of my last post.

Guys I am terrible in mirror matches. I just freeze and I don't do my pressure stuff. Good lord lol
Respond the knife traps with fast air balls and set up your own.

Don't get hit by wake-up air ball.

Press more block strings and guessing games than the other guy.

I've said it in other threads but felt it should be said here as well. Yes the new up ball is great but Kano is still far from broken. His wakeup is terrible in my opinion. Choke and EX choke can be ducked and punished no problem. I was fighting last night on a rare good connection. The other player would get me down and just do a simple d+3 or 4 and beat out my wakeups. Sure you can just get up block but if someone is in your face Kano has a hard time with the pressure. It may just be me. And wakeup up ball gets beaten out by everything. A combo string will beat it. And I think teleporters can give him alittle trouble too. Just saying he's beatable that's all. And his overhead is way slow. Slower then much of the rest of the cast.
Must be just you, cause my wakeup ball beats EVERYTHING, only had trouble once or twice and even then it wasn't that big of a deal.
His overhead doesn't need to be godly fast, you are supposed to break people down so they are afraid to move and teach them to respect your F3 so they block low, now many people can react fast enough to beat your overhead. You are just being predictable.

Sure everyones beatable, that doesn't mean everyone is fair.

Korpz

Noob
I wanna start by saying that I'm new and I'm totally in love with this site .

Months before the game came out I've been wanting to tackle Kano and master him , but when I finally got to play with him I was so excited . I was so nervous about online lag that I just played the hell out of the arcade ladder and practice mode for the first two days . Now , I feel very confident in my Kano and feel that I have a pretty decent base with him . I love putting the pressure on with sweeps and crossing up jump kicks into his air throw . His knife throw is not just an amazing projectile , but I love how the knife will just stick in there chest for a few seconds after contact . When they get used to my normal pressure , I switch it up to his (xbox) YXY dash in YXY dash in XX Choke (EX Choke) or any other variation of his BnB combos and juggles . I like his downball more than his standard ball , jumping away and doing his downball quickly can catch your enemy a few times ... then that's one more trick they'll be worried about . That's more or less my basic strategy with Kano and I'm able to adapt if needed .

I'm not a pro , or even close , lol ... but I'm loving the game and I'm maining Kano .

Mgt2

Noob
Guys Quan Chi vs Kano is an interesting Match Up. For me an aggressive player took me a couple of matches vs a good Quan Chi to Understand that I have to bait him. Quan Chi needs to be unsafe to do something but if he get you with one of his combos be ready is going to hurt you.

after the patch coming in a little over a week, there will be another tweak the day after. this tweak makes up ball more unsafe. most characters will get a fast special, some full combos starting w/fast jabs and fast mids.

GNG Iniquity

after the patch coming in a little over a week, there will be another tweak the day after. this tweak makes up ball more unsafe. most characters will get a fast special, some full combos starting w/fast jabs and fast mids.
I'm all for it, quite honestly. The faster specials and more combo options will make the game more interesting!

GStick

Noob
This is definitely for the better. Somewhere between the way it was and the way it is now sounds perfect.

GNG Iniquity

My discrepancy with NRS however is that I'm somewhat considering just putting this game on the back burner for the next 6 months. In one month Baraka became more viable, Kano received a faster up ball, a better mixup game, and damage scaling was selectively changed/reduced. Now, I enjoy the game, but clearly the product isn't finished nor is NRS satisfied with the game. I feel like they're focusing on too much right now...Skarlet/Kenshi DLC, patching up the netcode, character changes,etc.

Now, I'm glad they're doing it, but realistically what do you think this game will look like in 6 months, Tom?

the game should be fine after the next 2 weeks. after that, MK9 should be just about done till the new DLC characters make an appearance.