What's new

Kano strategy

Gemini Knight

Astaroth needs Fatalities
Ermac is a hard match for Kano
If Kano stays out of force push max range, Kano outzones Ermac. Ermac could teleport to beat the zone, but blocked teleport = Ermac's life or meter.

Ermac wants to get in closer and force push, so Kano dash blocks in closer. Ball in general punishes close blocked force push. Kano has better up close mix ups and attack strings than Ermac, and Kano can disrupt Ermac's wake up game. Kano owns the skies, so no air to air jumping punch to force slam combo for Ermac.

In summary:

Ermac doesn't want to fight Kano in footsie range, nor let Kano outzone with knives outside of max force push range. Ermac can't afford to let Kano get the knockdown, and jumping against Kano is a bad idea for Ermac.

Kano doesn't want Ermac to back Kano to the corner with max range force push, nor let Ermac escape pressure once in close.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
D.Barrett said:
I have yet to encounter a Quan-chi player. Anyone got any tips or strategies against him like watching out for his foot stomp thing or something? He doesnt seem like he has too many full screen options.
You haven't encountered any yet because the only top tier thing about Quan Chi is his voices and his win pose. LOL. I'll talk about Quan Chi in detail another time. Here are his specials moves for now.

All of his special moves aside from the Skull Ball (d,b+2) are awful. I'm fairly certain that Trance (b,f+3) is punishable at any distance by Kano's Horizontal Ball. EX Trance is just as unsafe as the regular version but drains your super meter. The Ground Bursts (d,b+1 fires a small pillar of energy right next to Quan Chi; d,f+1 fires one at mid screen; d,b,f+1 fires one at 3/4th of the screen) are terrible. They're arguably one of the worst special moves in the entire game. The EX version is unblockable. It's only used in combos because he's the only character who can cancel an unblockable attack from any string. Sky Drop (d,b+3) is laughably slow. Quan Chi can land in front or behind you. No reason to panic because you have the advantage. The Skeletal Boost (d,b+4) is another catastrophe of ass. The game decides whether Quan Chi gets a damage or health boost. It's completely random. However, as soon as he gets hit or blocks an attack, he loses the boost. That just leaves me with the Skull Ball, which actually, believe it or not, has a better recovery than Kano's Knife, but only by a frame or two, I believe.

By the way, the so-called...

is gone. Quan Chi can only do one repition in the tweaked version.

If Kano stays out of force push max range, Kano outzones Ermac. Ermac could teleport to beat the zone, but blocked teleport = Ermac's life or meter.

Ermac wants to get in closer and force push, so Kano dash blocks in closer. Ball in general punishes close blocked force push. Kano has better up close mix ups and attack strings than Ermac, and Kano can disrupt Ermac's wake up game. Kano owns the skies, so no air to air jumping punch to force slam combo for Ermac.

In summary:

Ermac doesn't want to fight Kano in footsie range, nor let Kano outzone with knives outside of max force push range. Ermac can't afford to let Kano get the knockdown, and jumping against Kano is a bad idea for Ermac.

Kano doesn't want Ermac to back Kano to the corner with max range force push, nor let Ermac escape pressure once in close.
jumping is bad for any fighter going against Kano IMO
but jump distance is where Ermac can rule the fight. He's just outside the range of Up Cannonball & not many are willing to risk a blkd Cannonball against Ermac. Also the range on the TKP is ridiculous

Loot

the special effects
It's the other way around. Kano is one of Raiden's hardest match ups. The Knife recovers so quickly that Raiden has to teleport far in advance to punish it, which leaves him open to general anti-teleport strategies. Kano has it even better, though. The Up Ball's motion is d,f+2, so it's actually the reverse motion for the Knife. This means if Kano keeps spamming the Knife Toss, there's a high chance that Raiden gets punished when he teleports. Up Ball is 7 frames fast and -8 on block as far as I know. This means that Raiden has to execute a perfect Eletric Fly to punish it, which is not easy to do in the heat of a battle. All zoning characters lose to Raiden. Just not Kano. Raiden loses this match up 6/4 at best.

I feel that the tweaked version of Kano doesn't really have any mismatches. Maybe Kung Lao. Kano has been blessed with one of the best projectiles in the game along with one of the best defensive moves in the game. And he can rush down too.
Blocked Upball can be punished by a full comb, not just a superman. A properly timed B312 leads to a full ground combo.

On the subject of Raiden, if he is a Jedi he can teleport and superman punish your wake up ball. I've also found that superman can beat out Kano's xray, leading Kano to take the armor hit and a completely wasted meter.

Somberness

Lights
Blocked Upball can be punished by a full comb, not just a superman. A properly timed B312 leads to a full ground combo.
m2dave is correct, Raiden can do an electric fly, but it might have to be perfect timing, at least after the hotfix. B312 does not work as it is almost twice as lengthy to start up. http://testyourmight.com/forum/showthread.php?4955-Raiden-Frame-Data

Try it yourself, have Raiden vs. Kano have it set to always block and wakeup attack on. Sweep Kano until he uses non-ex upball and try to punish it with b312/electric fly.

Loot

the special effects
Hrm, it must have been lag then, as I've played very various Kano's on 4bars and was able to consistently pull that off. Shame on me for using online play.

Superman after a blocked up ball was pretty easy for me to time though.

Brahma

Noob
Hrm, it must have been lag then, as I've played very various Kano's on 4bars and was able to consistently pull that off. Shame on me for using online play.

Superman after a blocked up ball was pretty easy for me to time though.
Probably someone trying to upball~upball.

Gemini Knight

Astaroth needs Fatalities
jumping is bad for any fighter going against Kano IMO
but jump distance is where Ermac can rule the fight. He's just outside the range of Up Cannonball & not many are willing to risk a blkd Cannonball against Ermac. Also the range on the TKP is ridiculous
Easy fix: Don't use ball at all usless to anti air or finish combos.

TKP has some range on it, so either get out of the range and chuck knives, or get in and use Kano's b+112. After a blocked b+112, you can check your opponent with up ball. Once they understand that up ball kills whatever they do other than keep blocking, the mind games begin. Mix up with throw or another b+112.

Not to say that Ermac doesn't have options at footsie range, but at that range, Ermac can no longer use force push, and cannot afford to let Kano get in with a B+112, so Ermac may go basic anti poke mode and use d+1 and d+4, both losing to a good read with up ball checks.

Once Kano has the life lead, Kano can just go to the other side of the screen and duck, and what is Ermac going to do? Green ball? Whiffs. Ex Green ball? waste of meter. Teleport? Whiffs and puts Ermac next to Kano, which is a bad spot for Ermac if Kano is ready for him. Hover? Don't even need to use ball to hit him out of; just watch what he goes for. Ermac will have to come to Kano, and Kano can use his knives to give Ermac problems trying to come in.

Once Ermac has the life lead, Kano can't just hang back and chuck knives, and must get in on Ermac, but Kano can play Ermac up close anyway, and this is the most important observation of this match up. Kano doesn't have to hang back and outzone Ermac, and in the longrun, Ermac may find himself needing to back up against Kano, but that is only if the Ermac player can't keep the fight at footsie range.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Raiden's b+3,1,2 only punished the Up Ball in the pre-tweak version of the game, I think. It definitely no longer works.

I had asked Tom Brady about fighting Raiden three weeks ago. He told me to pick Kano after the tweak. I haven't had any problems with Raiden ever since. Guys, the current version of Kano has no bad match ups. Perhaps Kung Lao and Sub Zero. That's it, though.

The only kanos I have faced spammed 2 moves. They chill at one side of the screen and keep tosing knives than once I get a little closer. they up ball me or horizontal ball me and repeat. Those guys are REAL good.

Loot

the special effects
The only kanos I have faced spammed 2 moves. They chill at one side of the screen and keep tosing knives than once I get a little closer. they up ball me or horizontal ball me and repeat. Those guys are REAL good.
Welcome to zoning?

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Did you lose against them?

Loot

the special effects
Also, another heads up I found. If Raiden supermans your xray it will completely whiff and you'll take the armor hit.

cyke_out

Noob
If you are losing to horizontal ball then we can't help you.

But really, try some dash blocking in, and then punish the balls. If you just jump around like a spaz, then you're gonna get anti-air'ed. And since I'm assuming your cyrax and will be using Robot Cyrax for the bomb trap, teleport is not safe.

Gthunda866

Lazer Eye!
Did anyone see the last WFN, there was one Kano player but it had to be the worst to represent Kano players. He did what is stereotypical of Kano players now mash Up ball. It was obvious to that he didn't know any mixups of the character or really the character himself, plus he was vs Cyber Sub so he got cyber countered alot and you could also tell he didn't know the match-up, truthfully O don't either but still he was hard to watch

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
That was Aris. I think he was trying to prove a point about the up ball or something. The only thing that was demonstrated was that "spamming" gets beat, which is what should happen if youre a competent player.

Gthunda866

Lazer Eye!
Ya I was happy he lost I didn't know that he was trying to prove something though but he got beat proving ur gonna lose in competitive play if you do that

D.Barrett

Pad Warrior
Asking for help with the Johnny Cage match up.

Tonight on the valley stream monsters stream i went up against Riu and his very dangerous Cage. Now from full screen he obviously has terrible options against kano. But once he gets within Shadow kick range everything changes. I'm curious if anyone has any good baits, or tactics to help Kano out with shadow kick range cage, plus his close up game. Ive found my openings for up ball to push him out, but all my meter is saved for breakers now cuz if he starts some powerful nut punch combos I'm put into a guessing game that i highly need to avoid. So yea, any match up experience and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Gthunda866

Lazer Eye!

Tonight on the valley stream monsters stream i went up against Riu and his very dangerous Cage. Now from full screen he obviously has terrible options against kano. But once he gets within Shadow kick range everything changes. I'm curious if anyone has any good baits, or tactics to help Kano out with shadow kick range cage, plus his close up game. Ive found my openings for up ball to push him out, but all my meter is saved for breakers now cuz if he starts some powerful nut punch combos I'm put into a guessing game that i highly need to avoid. So yea, any match up experience and tips would be greatly appreciated.
Lol I saw that, It was hard to watch and you dropped your combos after f.3b.2 again man, but I really don't know the Johnny Cage match-up most likley is to try to keep him out and if he trys to go in poke him out and space yourself

Mgt2

Noob

Poke with down FK. I like to crossover Jhonny players because they are thinking about that kick to counter, so a soon I see the animation, I use Air Ball...

Brahma

Noob
Does F+33 force an untechable knockdown?
No, they can tech.

What are you guys ending combos with? Obviously launch 2,1,2, but then what? A lot of people seem to be doing 2,1,2 ball. I usually use f+1,2 knife (31% of of b112) just because it recovers quicker for pressure purposes, or b+1,2 ball for damage (33% from b112).

Corner is launch, 2,1,2, jk~air throw (31% from b112) or 2,1,2, b12~knife (32%).

So what do you guys use for enders, both for max damage and for wakes? What do you guys think is better for wakes? Knife recovers quickly so you can get back on them, but choke and airthrow leave them in an untechable state, but recovers slower. Ball is always nice is you want to keeo them far away for knives. Thoughts?

Also, does anyone use his strings other than 212_b112_f32_b21? Been messing around with some other strings but honestly I think those 4 pretty much do everything he needs.

Funny thing I started doing, a few times I've had someone jumping back on to a knife toss from full screen, right after tossing the knife circleing for his straight ball and the ball catching up and hitting as well.

2 hits fir 20%