What's new

General/Other - Kung Jin "Just want to test myself against you" - Kung Jin Variations and Specials

GuerillaTactix

#bufftakeda
As someone who played a lot of Green Arrow in Injustice but was kinda disappointed with him (to the point where I decided not to really play as him anymore), I think Kung Jin looks pretty cool. He's basically what Green Arrow should have been... or at least in my opinion.

I do have to agree with the fact that he doesn't really bring anything new to the table though. You can tell he has a lot of Green Arrow, Nightwolf, Kung Lao and Zatanna style moves. So, basically, I'm glad he looks like a better version of Green Arrow, but I'm a little disappointed that he doesn't have much really NEW stuff. I will still play as him some, but he's no where near being my favorite character (or favorite new character).
I agree he looks like a mash up of a few characters but I guarantee this guy is gunna be a beast up close. I'm maining Takeda so far but this guy looks like a hard fought secondary.

GuerillaTactix

#bufftakeda
Yeah, the fireball is 100% anticipating and 0% reaction. It just seems too slow of start-up to input on reaction and the cool-down is pretty slow...if you guess wrong, you get full combo punished from what I see. You just have to use it to constrict the opponent from crossing you when you pressure them
I agree 100%.. The move looks like it was made with good intentions but has Nightwings Scatter bomb written all over it..

WynterEnd

Your sacrifice honors me!
I was under the impression that his divekick is only with the Shaolin variation.

You might want to review the stream on that point... I'm pretty sure

GuerillaTactix

#bufftakeda
I really like his moves, his training with Bo rai Cho is shown in the Bojutsu variation and it seems throwing bladed weapons runs in the family.

ALSO HE DRAINS METER!
Of all the moves I've seen so far, the meter drain arrows are gunna be the most controversial move in this game.

Scenario: Your opponent is close to two bars of meter so you don't want to risk opening them up with meter cuz they'll break your next combo. Switch to your purple arrows, zone, like you were most likely gunna do anyway, hit them a few times and watch the salt pour as people scream nerfs.. It'll be interesting to see how Kung Jin evolves with that in mind. I do feel like that's one of those abilities that could get a little out of hand. Imagine playing a Kung Jin that literally kept you under a bar of meter the whole match...

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
Of all the moves I've seen so far, the meter drain arrows are gunna be the most controversial move in this game.

Scenario: Your opponent is close to two bars of meter so you don't want to risk opening them up with meter cuz they'll break your next combo. Switch to your purple arrows, zone, like you were most likely gunna do anyway, hit them a few times and watch the salt pour as people scream nerfs.. It'll be interesting to see how Kung Jin evolves with that in mind. I do feel like that's one of those abilities that could get a little out of hand. Imagine playing a Kung Jin that literally kept you under a bar of meter the whole match...
I say good, not only will you have to use your stamina to get in, but if you get hit, you have to wait for your stamina to regen to even break.

Bojutsu looks the most interesting to me, really has a Bo Rai Cho feel to it, minus the drunken master n vomit, the other variations are meh, ancestral shows some promise tho.

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
Bojutsu looks the most interesting to me, really has a Bo Rai Cho feel to it, minus the drunken master n vomit, the other variations are meh, ancestral shows some promise tho.
I honestly see him as the most well-rounded. Bojutsu hits hard with hella pop-up and range, Ancestral is basically Green Arrow on roids, and Shaolin looks to be well-rounded with good pressure, good zoning options, and his flying kick turns into an AA.

Idk, I think he's amongst the strongest shown this far.

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
I only want to play his Ancestral variation (we need to start thinking of abbreviations - if I have to type "Ancestral Kung Jin" every time I want to talk about this character, I'll slit my wrists. AKJ?), but he looks really damned robust in that mode. If I have to learn other variations to play him, I'll be surprised. He seems like what I wanted Green Arrow to be, which is unfortunate, but fuck it.

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
I only want to play his Ancestral variation (we need to start thinking of abbreviations - if I have to type "Ancestral Kung Jin" every time I want to talk about this character, I'll slit my wrists. AKJ?), but he looks really damned robust in that mode. If I have to learn other variations to play him, I'll be surprised. He seems like what I wanted Green Arrow to be, which is unfortunate, but fuck it.
I think his other two variations will be perfect counters. Both seem completely useable and relevant to competitive. More Bojutsu than Shaolin but either should be relevant

PizzaMasta

Hellblazer
Shaolin just seems a bit random to me, or at least the chakram does. But it doesn't really matter as I'm eyeing Bojutsu, I've always loved fighting hand-to-hand with a bow, and this one has a freaking mace at the end of it.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Kung Jin fans. I apologize for mocking your character initially upon reveal. Please accept it.

After rewatching him a couple of times, I think he may be the sleeper of the reveals so far for a few reasons. His tools seem powerful and he isn't getting the attention Takeda is getting because it lacked flair.

1) Ancestor Arrows. They are better in every way that GA. A timer and not a number limit was the way to go. You can just reload quickly on hard knockdowns of Fire. The grand prize were the meter draining arrows. Essentially, TWO HITS of this arrow drained 85-88% of a meter bar. Opposite of GA, I would rarely use the one shot stun arrow and use the timed Fire and Meter ones.

2) His special, the overhead kick. Great, great combo ending moving for spacing and mind games. Leaves enough time to load an arrow. If you move away and they wake up, land a stun or fire arrow. If they anticipate an arrow, move in for pressure. If in staff, the range is long enough to land a hit if they wake up as well. Also, when knocked down, you can wake up with the EX version for safety or countering them with the armor. Amazing move it seems.

3) everyone talks about Takeda's range, but Kung Jin's is not far from it. Spacing with the staff will be legit, and a strong footsie tool. NW with a dive kick that can combo, more speed, and more range. Don't dare give him the frame traps in staff lol.

Not sure on Shaolin yet, but the 1st two variations are a lot better than what I think is being given credit.

GuerillaTactix

#bufftakeda
Kung Jin fans. I apologize for mocking your character initially upon reveal. Please accept it.

After rewatching him a couple of times, I think he may be the sleeper of the reveals so far for a few reasons. His tools seem powerful and he isn't getting the attention Takeda is getting because it lacked flair.

1) Ancestor Arrows. They are better in every way that GA. A timer and not a number limit was the way to go. You can just reload quickly on hard knockdowns of Fire. The grand prize were the meter draining arrows. Essentially, TWO HITS of this arrow drained 85-88% of a meter bar. Opposite of GA, I would rarely use the one shot stun arrow and use the timed Fire and Meter ones.

2) His special, the overhead kick. Great, great combo ending moving for spacing and mind games. Leaves enough time to load an arrow. If you move away and they wake up, land a stun or fire arrow. If they anticipate an arrow, move in for pressure. If in staff, the range is long enough to land a hit if they wake up as well. Also, when knocked down, you can wake up with the EX version for safety or countering them with the armor. Amazing move it seems.

3) everyone talks about Takeda's range, but Kung Jin's is not far from it. Spacing with the staff will be legit, and a strong footsie tool. NW with a dive kick that can combo, more speed, and more range. Don't dare give him the frame traps in staff lol.

Not sure on Shaolin yet, but the 1st two variations are a lot better than what I think is being given credit.
I agree. He's a sleeper for sure. I'm interested in Takeda for flair but this guy looks legit. Some of the returning cast looks pretty lame in comparison to this previous kombat kast..

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I agree. He's a sleeper for sure. I'm interested in Takeda for flair but this guy looks legit. Some of the returning cast looks pretty lame in comparison to this previous kombat kast..
I thought it was just me, but I got the same feeling. It seems like each stream the characters are getting stronger and stronger.

It's crazy because I had absolutely zero interest in playing Kung Jin, then I thought he was ok, now I feel like I'll be testing him out Day 1 lol. By next week he might be my Day 1 main at this rate!

ando1184

Noob
I thought it was just me, but I got the same feeling. It seems like each stream the characters are getting stronger and stronger.

It's crazy because I had absolutely zero interest in playing Kung Jin, then I thought he was ok, now I feel like I'll be testing him out Day 1 lol. By next week he might be my Day 1 main at this rate!
Well being a GA main, I definitely am going for this guy in my top 3 characters I wanna main. Ancestral looks amazing and I'm happy since his neutral arrows actually do damage. I think shaolin might be a lot better than we think, we just need to see more of it.

Mind Flex

Mind Gamer. BOOSH

I agree with the part about liking him more each day. The range on his normal staff moves look insane. SO MANY OPTIONS!

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Well being a GA main, I definitely am going for this guy in my top 3 characters I wanna main. Ancestral looks amazing and I'm happy since his neutral arrows actually do damage. I think shaolin might be a lot better than we think, we just need to see more of it.
Yea I think you may have found your character man. He has the possibility to be legit. Those arrows look like everything GA's should have been, and if he has good frames on his staff he'll be a string character without a doubt.

Shaolin is one of those variations that is impossible to judge by just showing it. It has to be explored hands on first.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
I think Shaolin looks really awesome with the mb chakram. All his variations look fucking and diverse though, I'm hype for this guy.

Last edited:

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
Anyone else want Kung jin to have a Link costume? Thats all i could think when he colored his arrows lol

obviously the staff and chakram part don't fit link at all, but still :p