What's new

General/Other - Kung Jin "Just want to test myself against you" - Kung Jin Variations and Specials

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
All taken from 3.19.2015 NetherRealm stream "Whips, Sais, and a little surprise"

Kung Jin Variations:

Variation name (brief description) [in-game visual indicators to show which variation is being used] - detailed description

Ancestral (gives more options for arrows) [Arrows in quiver are glowing white unless enhanced then it matches the color of enhancement - red for fire, purple for meter drain, and blue for stun] - Has more options with arrows by jumping up and shooting straight or at angles with long range and short range options...also has a low option when grounded. Can power up projectiles with 3 different options, the power ups last at varying times; 6 seconds for Fire arrows, 4 seconds for meter drain, and one use for stun. You can shoot the enhanced arrows as much as possible in the allotted seconds. His options include: fire arrows that do more damage, arrows that drain his opponent's meter, and arrows that leave the opponent in stun. Much like Green Arrow's arrow options with his trait but a little different.

Arrow Enhancement Animation is faster than Green Arrow's

Bojutsu (Uses mace-type weapon on bow staff) [Dragon Head end is glowing red] - Used for high damage, flashy combos. Gains special moves that are used as combo starters or can be used to continue combos by popping up. He also gains a low spinning special that you can meterburn for pop-up. Uses the dragon head end to shoot a high projectile to stuff jump ins. Has one of the longer ranges we've seen.

Shaolin (gains Chakram based normals and specials) [Chakram shows on Kung Jin's left hip in glowing blue] - Gains a disc that acts much like Kung Lao's hat but has a boomerang property when meter burned. Normal moves have less range than other variations but does much more damage. Using the Chakram as a projectile is very fast, it has a normal throw that you can control to end going up or down, and also has a low option. Chakram can also be used offensively for pressure with apparent frame advantage on block and when it's not blocked, there is enough hit stun to continue combos. Flying kick gets an upgrade that goes more up in the air at an angle than normal Flying Kick, can drop down to hit opponent from above if you miss.

Universal Specials:
Flipkick - Flips in the air and lands on opponent for hard knockdown
EX - Armor to absorb attack to make it a better wake up option, looks much like a meter burned f3 in Injustice but without pop-up
Arrow shoot - one straight normal and one anti-air that shoots at an angle. Neither do much damage but is pretty quick
EX - Shoots two arrows instead of one, shoots both at same time but does hit twice
Flying Kick - Uses bow staff to launch self forward to do a Liu Kang-like dragon kick...basically Nightwing's Flying Grayson but with Dragon Kick.
Divekick - MK9 Kung Lao looking divekick with more speed and uses bow staff to pop up for juggle opportunities
Throw - grabs opponent, shoots fireball at face, then swings Dragon Head end at their face to knock them back
X-Ray - looks like the beginning move is an overhead that knocks them back a few steps, the opponent slumps over, Kung Jin jumps up and hits Dragon Head end on back of head, opponent hits ground face first and pops up...on pop up, Kung Jin shoots arrows into eyes of the opponent, runs up to grab arrows before opponent lands, flips opponent over and slams on him on the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:

FinalBoss_FGC

just coming in here to say that Bojutsu fireball looks stupid and I hate it

oh, and Shaolin variation looks p cool
Yeah, the fireball is 100% anticipating and 0% reaction. It just seems too slow of start-up to input on reaction and the cool-down is pretty slow...if you guess wrong, you get full combo punished from what I see. You just have to use it to constrict the opponent from crossing you when you pressure them

Last edited by a moderator:

ando1184

Noob
His flying kick looks like NW flying Grayson lol. I'm still gonna play this guy, I like the look of all of his variations. I hope the mixup potential is there though

FinalBoss_FGC

His flying kick looks like NW flying Grayson lol. I'm still gonna play this guy, I like the look of all of his variations. I hope the mixup potential is there though
I agree that it kinda does look like Flying Grayson but with a Liu Kang dragon kick lol

n9195v

Noob
Dare I say the most bland character in the game. Everyone has the taste of Green Arrow in their mouths I'm sure. He really doesn't bring anything that new to the table. I was looking forward for him and I'm kind of disappointed. I'll still try him though.

Also the activity on Kung Jin's thread verse Takede's threads say a lot.

QUAN-FUSION

Crotch-puncher
That chakram variation is so lacklustre and uninspired.. So they gave him jades razorang??
Why!? He has TWO weapons already! :S

Doesn't make sense.

FinalBoss_FGC

Dare I say the most bland character in the game. Everyone has the taste of Green Arrow in their mouths I'm sure. He really doesn't bring anything that new to the table. I was looking forward for him and I'm kind of disappointed. I'll still try him though.

Also the activity on Kung Jin's thread verse Takede's threads say a lot.
People are just so drawn to the whips because it's such a new thing. And him being Scorpion's apprentice helps.

I think people will be pleasantly surprised with Kung Jin...he has a divekick that looks to be one of the best in the game, he has good zoning options that kept Green Arrow relevant but with better combo options along with specials that create quite a bit of space...imagine Green Arrow with the use of Flying Grayson. His Bojutsu will give him solid mix-up options with some of the harder hitting combos in game. But I think his money maker is going to be the Shaolin variation because the pressure with the Chakram along with how fast of a projectile it is will make it hard to deal with.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
This is the thread where you discuss his moves and variations, not his GD, or a place to throw textual rocks at him.

This site is so fucking shitty sometimes.

Anyway, I really like Bojutsu, but I think Ancestral is going to be scary, scarier than GA ever was.

That air control is going to be nuts, especially with a one shot stun. I might actually pick him up if he has a better alt.

Last edited:

Gamer68

Fujin!
As someone who played a lot of Green Arrow in Injustice but was kinda disappointed with him (to the point where I decided not to really play as him anymore), I think Kung Jin looks pretty cool. He's basically what Green Arrow should have been... or at least in my opinion.

I do have to agree with the fact that he doesn't really bring anything new to the table though. You can tell he has a lot of Green Arrow, Nightwolf, Kung Lao and Zatanna style moves. So, basically, I'm glad he looks like a better version of Green Arrow, but I'm a little disappointed that he doesn't have much really NEW stuff. I will still play as him some, but he's no where near being my favorite character (or favorite new character).

FinalBoss_FGC

This is the thread where you discuss his moves and variations, not his GD, or a place to throw textual rocks at him.

This site is so fucking shitty sometimes.

Anyway, I really like Bojutsu, but I think Ancestral is going to be scary, a scarier than GA ever was.

That air control is going to be nuts, especially with a one shot stun. I might actually pick him up if he has a better alt.
Kung Jin just kinda got fucked over cause he was revealed with Takeda (Scorpion's apprentice and Kenshi's son who are both two fan favorites) and Mileena who is by far the most popular female character. They stole the show. If they waited until next week to show him, he'd be getting more love, I think.

Gamer68

Fujin!
I think Kung Jin looks like the epitome of meh, and it has nothing to do with him being related to Kenshi or Scorpion.

He'll probably be a bitch to fight against, though.
He isn't related to Kenshi or Scorpion; that's Takeda. Kung Jin is related to Kung Lao...

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
He isn't related to Kenshi or Scorpion; that's Takeda. Kung Jin is related to Kung Lao...
Edited. I meant that I don't think either of those things makes Takeda any cooler, so it doesn't affect my opinion of KJ at all.

FinalBoss_FGC

I really like his moves, his training with Bo rai Cho is shown in the Bojutsu variation and it seems throwing bladed weapons runs in the family.

ALSO HE DRAINS METER!
I think many people are overlooking the fact that he has 6 seconds of usage for the enhanced arrows. So instead of 3 increased damage ones, we get as many as we can shoot in 6 seconds. So we can probably see a corner combo that drains meter and then ends in stun arrow reset. Let's not break the game or anything ;)

Mind Flex

Mind Gamer. BOOSH
I'm surprised at all the negativity.

Ancestral Variation seems so awesome to me. It is clearly very borrowed but I like it. NW's Flipkick and Flying Grayson, GA's Arrows (but seems better to me), and the Kung Lao's dive kick. Looks like a good list of options. Maybe it's just that I was a NW main and dive kicks are awesome! haha

n9195v

Noob
I really wanted to like him but there's already a variant that borrows from Jade.
At least we now know why Kano has his anti-air eye laser.

Just to clarify- Kung Jin still has his standard arrows across all variations, right? But he can only fire them while airborne during one of them?
Yeah but I don't think jump around with them or do lows.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
I think many people are overlooking the fact that he has 6 seconds of usage for the enhanced arrows. So instead of 3 increased damage ones, we get as many as we can shoot in 6 seconds. So we can probably see a corner combo that drains meter and then ends in stun arrow reset. Let's not break the game or anything ;)
Exactly it's time based and meterless, he can steal meter for free unlike Quan and Kabal in MK9

Gamer68

Fujin!
I'm surprised at all the negativity.

Ancestral Variation seems so awesome to me. It is clearly very borrowed but I like it. NW's Flipkick and Flying Grayson, GA's Arrows (but seems better to me), and the Kung Lao's dive kick. Looks like a good list of options. Maybe it's just that I was a NW main and dive kicks are awesome! haha
He does have a good list of options, and I think he is going to be a pretty good character. But the reason why everyone is so disappointed is because he, like you said, borrows so many moves.

He is basically a mix of Green Arrow, Zatanna, Nightwing, Nightwolf, and Kung Lao. And that's fine and all, like I said he's probably going to be a good character (and fun to play as), but it's the fact that he isn't bringing anything new to the table. I mean, after seeing Mileena who has improved a lot, and Takeda who is so different than any of the other characters, after you see Kung Jin, you can't help but to be disappointed.