What's new

Match-up Discussion Johnny Cage: Official Matchup Discussion

Insuperable

My mom tells me I'm pretty
6-4 for baraka seems right. I do agree the .5 cuz of the 7 frame spin that knocks him full screen, but then barakas zoning is kinda sub par lol

I believe we decided 6-4 for cage for quan. unless im missing something. Insuperable?
I think it's 6-4 as well, but only because of the rune trap hahahah Cage pressure is ridiculous against Quan, so you have to be on point. Without the rune trap, it would be 3-7 or maybe 2-8, since I don't see any truly safe way out of Cage's pressure. Dat 50/50 of d3 or uppercut sucks lmao

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
I think it's 6-4 as well, but only because of the rune trap hahahah Cage pressure is ridiculous against Quan, so you have to be on point. Without the rune trap, it would be 3-7 or maybe 2-8, since I don't see any truly safe way out of Cage's pressure. Dat 50/50 of d3 or uppercut sucks lmao
uppercutting 11f1 is a bonus, plus he outzones him heavily between skulls, runes, trances, and skydropping forceball on reaction. But dat damn F3 sucks balls

baraka vs cage is 7-3 the spin help in the matchup but the damage on it is really low and all cage have to do is d3 on his block strings to stop baraka 's spin .

baraka can not keep cage out and baraka has the slowest normals to fight cage at close

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I don't feel like typing up a long list, I did however, talk about Cages MUs a bit in a podcast with KingHippo that will probably be posted soon.

SatsuiYesHadou

Yung Kneecaps
Be sure to include how Kitana can be like "lolnope" all day and be like how all the women are in Cage's life.

....running away and avoiding contact with him ;_;
Damn shots fired. Cage wins 6-4. There is a way around her b2 and once she gets to the corner also she doesn't have a fun time getting out and her d1 is ridiculously raped

Glass Sword

Nobody
I saw this at college and had to come and give my input as soon as possible.
OK I understand your point about Scorpion having the vortex so he equals out the matchup some what but...
1. Scorpion has no safe way out of pressure in fact Johnny does not have to respect any of Scorpion's normal at all.
2. Scorpions only safe way out of pressure is ex takedown if one uses ex spear they run this risk of full combo punish back in to pressure.
3. Scorpion is beaten in footsies badly by Johnny Cage. Johnny has better forward moving normals and he walks faster.
4. Johnny Cage completely destroys Scorpion at close range with out meter Scorpion really has no viable way out besides guessing right with 5. down 1 twice since you need to create enough space to back up since forward three still beats all Scorpions normals even when he is at +1.
6. Johnny almost always has meter since he gets to pressure Scorpion for free when Scorpion has no meter. Scorpion has no viable way to build meter in this matchup.
7. Hell fire is useless in this match up because it is very risky to use and will not keep Johnny Cage out. Cage has no reason to jump ever unless he would die from one.
Really the only reason Cage should ever lose is if he guesses wrong multiple times. The odds are completely in Cages favor he draws Scorpion in for free and keeps him there. Stop fooling your selves by saying this is any kind of even just because Scorpion has a chance to win because he can space Cage out perfectly and guess right a few times. That does not make this a slight advantage for Cage in other words a 6-4 for Cage.
This is Scorpion's worst match up his options are limited at best and nonexistent at worst. This is at least 7-3 for Cage. I personally think this is an 8-2 for Cage.

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
Damn shots fired. Cage wins 6-4. There is a way around her b2 and once she gets to the corner also she doesn't have a fun time getting out and her d1 is ridiculously raped
It's like when you talk to a girl and you put your hand on the wall behind her and stuff.

....but she can somehow fly away using self-propelling fans and stuff.

but in all seriousness, Kitana's runaway game is really good lol.

...and who says I'm going to b2? What if I just....walk back the whole match and ass out the corner?

SatsuiYesHadou

Yung Kneecaps
It's like when you talk to a girl and you put your hand on the wall behind her and stuff.

....but she can somehow fly away using self-propelling fans and stuff.

but in all seriousness, Kitana's runaway game is really good lol.

...and who says I'm going to b2? What if I just....walk back the whole match and ass out the corner?
She could be hit out of her butt on the start up frames and also flipkicked back in to the corner while she's in the air trying to fly across.

GuamoKun

She could be hit out of her butt on the start up frames and also flipkicked back in to the corner while she's in the air trying to fly across.

.........I'm going to take you up on that Kitana Cage hug offer if you don't quit bullying Kitana.

haha. but yeah after we played our set for a while you started getting past my shenanigans.

GuamoKun

Haha I have to admit you were bodying me. I had no idea what to do against you
No I wasn't lol you were just unfamiliar. after that I was caged and free as a bird ;_;

This is why at the very least I agree with Claude VonStroke on the numbers, both players have stuff they can do to each other that takes away a lot of their stuff but at different points in the game, Cage does really well upclose and Kitana has problems with characters that rush really well because of lack of armor but she has dat zoning+range+runaway game+damage

shang is 5-5 fo sho. shang has an advantage with frame traps from full screen but once he's in anything can happen.. but imo shang loses the up close game. stupid ex nut punch invincibility man

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
Claude VonStroke I have an issue with the CSZ matchup. Its 5-5 due to the fact that cage just cant be cage against CSZ thanks to parry. Its not the end all be all but instead of just me guessing its both of us, and this is during your own pressure. Ive played this matchup with dizzy, curbo, and maxter and this has never felt worse than a 5-5

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
heck 6 4, 7 3, the mu is definitely cage favor, and if there was a high lvl cage like dizzy vs a baraka, that set would be a sweep haha. I'm just keeping it real, baraka can't hang with cage.
That matchup is 6-4. Saying 7-3 is ridiculous. And yes I do face Cage almost every week.

That matchup is 6-4. Saying 7-3 is ridiculous. And yes I do face Cage almost every week.
nah i'm just saying, that mu isn't good at all for baraka, i'd have it 7 3 too. That's just my opinion though, pls don't take it in a harsh way like some would haha, everyone got their opinions, I just believe if a high lvl cage and high lvl baraka met, it wouldn't be pretty. Also don't forget that riu plays baraka and i'm sure he's played maxter's cage alot and we all know his cage is top lvl.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
nah i'm just saying, that mu isn't good at all for baraka, i'd have it 7 3 too. That's just my opinion though, pls don't take it in a harsh way like some would haha, everyone got their opinions, I just believe if a high lvl cage and high lvl baraka met, it wouldn't be pretty.
Fair enough.

Really a high level Baraka could possibly out footsie the cage and zone him out. Max range blade charge, D4, and spark can all be used to keep him at bay for a while. Of course once he gets in we are screwed but you have to understand in the Kabal matchup we are beaten everywhere on the screen, while Cage we are only beat up close.

Fair enough.

Really a high level Baraka could possibly out footsie the cage and zone him out. Max range blade charge, D4, and spark can all be used to keep him at bay for a while. Of course once he gets in we are screwed but you have to understand in the Kabal matchup we are beaten everywhere on the screen, while Cage we are only beat up close.
yeah I agree, he does have some tools to keep him out for sure.