What's new

Match-up Discussion Johnny Cage: Official Matchup Discussion

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
or you're just better at MK.
Again, to be fair if you are really on point(Like TheTetraSpirit usually is) you can keep Cage out. Especially if you have the life lead, at that point he becomes a 5-5 matchup. But I do disagree with 5-5 due to to the fact that if he gets the life lead he can zone us out and chasing him is a really bad idea.

even? lmao dnt overexaggerate now, leave it as 6 4, and cage who knows what they're talking about would call it no less than 6 4. Baraka gets raped up close and cage has very good footsies and walk speed, won't be keeping him out for long.
That's the thing. you don't keep him out You keep him in check.
Carefuly use of pokes and overheads and lows can slow him down and make him be more cautious in his approach.

That's the thing. you don't keep him out You keep him in check.
Carefuly use of pokes and overheads and lows can slow him down and make him be more cautious in his approach.
but the mu isn't even lol, you got to realize mus supposed to be based off highest lvl, if you played a high lvl cage, there wouldn't be any going back and forth, and that's just the truth.

Again, to be fair if you are really on point(Like TheTetraSpirit usually is) you can keep Cage out. Especially if you have the life lead, at that point he becomes a 5-5 matchup. But I do disagree with 5-5 due to to the fact that if he gets the life lead he can zone us out and chasing him is a really bad idea.
the mu will nvr be at the point of a 5 5, come on lets keep it real guys, that mu isn't good at all.

but the mu isn't even lol, you got to realize mus supposed to be based off highest lvl, if you played a high lvl cage, there wouldn't be any going back and forth, and that's just the truth.

And why is it so bad? Yes, he's a problem up close. Just like he is against basically every other character.
Baraka has the abilities to contend with him. you just have to pick your spots carefully and play hit-and-run.

And why is it so bad? Yes, he's a problem up close. Just like he is against basically every other character.
Baraka has the abilities to contend with him. you just have to pick your spots carefully and play hit-and-run.
nvm, i try and try and ppl just act like I'm just saying stuff. I never said baraka has no hope and can't win the mu, but it is 100% cage favor. I dnt want to hear none of this stuff about picking spots, that's just like me saying scorpion vs jax is a 5 5 bcuz I know how to "pick my spots and zone him", negative. If you look at the frame data and tools the chars have, cage outdoes him. Not only that, the armor move you have to get out of pressure is super unsafe up close, so that won't be good news for him. If i get a lead, you got to come to me and that's where it gets really bad bcuz cage outclasses him in the footsies game. Not only this, but i can trade off with baraka all day when i get a lead since baraka's projectile isn't fast. Baraka has a juicy ass hitbox too( not good news for him), and baraka's wakeup options aren't good. Add all that with the fact that baraka has strings that are interruptable if i'm not mistaken that you can ex nutpunch. You also aren't safe from the ex forceball up close, or from a distance to close in on baraka and meter building is easy for cage when he gets in. Once you corner baraka, it is lights out bcuz cage's corner pressure will murder him. Just so many things going for cage, dnt know why i even need to elaborate haha. pls ask any cage like dizzy, curbo, foxy, maxter, my bro, and etc. what the mu is, guarentee they say 6 4 or 7 3.

Zoidberg747

The problem with hit and run is if he gets in, he will take back the damage from your hit and run and possibly more. Plus, what if you dont have the lifelead? You cant hit and run because he can zone with his forceballs and you have to go to him, which plays heavily in his favor. On the other hand even if you have the lifelead and are running, as soon as you make a mistake he will not hit and run but hit like a tank.

Zoidberg747

nvm, i try and try and ppl just act like I'm just saying stuff. I never said baraka has no hope and can't win the mu, but it is 100% cage favor. I dnt want to hear none of this stuff about picking spots, that's just like me saying scorpion vs jax is a 5 5 bcuz I know how to "pick my spots and zone him", negative. If you look at the frame data and tools the chars have, cage outdoes him. Not only that, the armor move you have to get out of pressure is super unsafe up close, so that won't be good news for him. If i get a lead, you got to come to me and that's where it gets really bad bcuz cage outclasses him in the footsies game. Not only this, but i can trade off with baraka all day when i get a lead since baraka's projectile isn't fast. Baraka has a juicy ass hitbox too( not good news for him), and baraka's wakeup options aren't good. Add all that with the fact that baraka has strings that are interruptable if i'm not mistaken that you can ex nutpunch. You also aren't safe from the ex forceball up close, or from a distance to close in on baraka and meter building is easy for cage when he gets in. Once you corner baraka, it is lights out bcuz cage's corner pressure will murder him. Just so many things going for cage, dnt know why i even need to elaborate haha. pls ask any cage like dizzy, curbo, foxy, maxter, my bro, and etc. what the mu is, guarentee they say 6 4 or 7 3.
Everything is right except the interruptable strings. All the interruptable strings are strings Baraka's rarely used.

Also if Baraka corners cage and doesnt have holes in his corner pressure he also struggles.

That being said this is no worse than 6-4. Only matchups worse than 6-4 for Baraka are Kabal and Kenshi(And Freddy supposedly, but I dont buy it)

The problem with hit and run is if he gets in, he will take back the damage from your hit and run and possibly more. Plus, what if you dont have the lifelead? You cant hit and run because he can zone with his forceballs and you have to go to him, which plays heavily in his favor. On the other hand even if you have the lifelead and are running, as soon as you make a mistake he will not hit and run but hit like a tank.
He can't zone from full screen. You can dash forward and D4 under it on reaction from 3/4 and further away. Let him do that the whole screen and back himself into a corner. Then he has to make and approach and get past the wall you've put up in front of them.

Zoidberg747

He can't zone from full screen. You can dash forward and D4 under it on reaction from 3/4 and further away. Let him do that the whole screen and back himself into a corner. Then he has to make and approach and get past the wall you've put up in front of them.
Fair enough, but once again you are having to chase him down.

Fair enough, but once again you are having to chase him down.
True, and you have to be careful of any advances he throws out. It's basically the same as you being up, which is why I believe it's even.
Both characters have to play the same game whichever situation they're put in.

LaR

Noob
Baraka is to slow has unsafe armor cant keep cage out doesn't do enough damage and once cage gets its game over. Its heavily in cage favor. how can a bottom 5 character go even with johnny ' fucking 'cage.

Baraka is to slow has unsafe armor cant keep cage out doesn't do enough damage and once cage gets its game over. Its heavily in cage favor. how can a bottom 5 character go even with johnny ' fucking 'cage.
I've already said it. He doesn't "keep him out" like Kenshi or or Kabal or something. He checks him with pokes and mix-ups. Makes him not able to just balls-out rush him all day because he has a way to counter every approach he has and can break through his guard with mix-ups safely.

Also, he's not bottom 5.

I've already said it. He doesn't "keep him out" like Kenshi or or Kabal or something. He checks him with pokes and mix-ups. Makes him not able to just balls-out rush him all day because he has a way to counter every approach he has and can break through his guard with mix-ups safely.

Also, he's not bottom 5.
he's bottom 5, most ppl got him there for good reasons.

Zoidberg747

not at all haha, that mu 7 3 until proven offline it is not.
TheTetraSpirit has made top 8 at a major with Baraka. Im sure he faced a Cage or two. He faced Mikemetroid who is the Cage mod and a very good Cage. Now I do not agree it is even but 7-3 is a RIDICULOUS number for this matchup.

How are we supposed to prove anything offline when there are a total of 2 Baraka players in the U.S who go to tournaments and one can only go to Texas tournies and isnt even that good?

Edit: Baraka is right outside bottom five. Sheeva, Kano, Stryker, Jade, CSZ, and Nightwolf are all worse than him, imo.

TheTetraSpirit has made top 8 at a major with Baraka. Im sure he faced a Cage or two. He faced Mikemetroid who is the Cage mod and a very good Cage. Now I do not agree it is even but 7-3 is a RIDICULOUS number for this matchup.

How are we supposed to prove anything offline when there are a total of 2 Baraka players in the U.S who go to tournaments and one can only go to Texas tournies and isnt even that good?
he better hit up a mlg, i'll be there, denzell will be there, maxter will be there, dizzy will be there, curbo probably, and many other ones. Also summer jam was like the East coast's NCR, not many players but some good players. Nothing compared to an mlg or major like final round this year though.