What's new

Match-up Discussion Johnny Cage Mu chart

Illmatix

Remember, representing ermac is illmatic.
my main points are, he doesn't have good ways out of pressure, he has a big hitbox, and tkp really doesn't keep him away for long. iafb for mac is a good tool, but once he is close then this tool is risky. Kenshi has armor, a 50 50 with his low f3 and overhead b2, and shoulder is only -8 on block while tkp is like -13 or something on block. Kenshi's d3 is way better than macs. Good points, but i'm keeping it 6 4. If cage gives reptile problems and reptile has some dangerous zoning tools and a solid d4, i couldn't see mac going even with him.
i think what hes saying is you eventually have to respect d1 because he might cancel it to tks, and IF he does he could just force push and youre full screen.

i think what hes saying is you eventually have to respect d1 because he might cancel it to tks, and IF he does he could just force push and youre full screen.
alright reasonable, but cancelling it, as he said, is a big risk. Risks are obviously necessary at times, but the fact that his pokes aren't very great to get him out of pressure makes it that much easier for cage. I think if mac had some faster normals and armor on ex lift, then it'd be a 5 5 bcuz cage would have to respect more than a tkp and iafb. 6 4 doesn't mean cage wrecks him, just means he is at advantage.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
The MU is def winnable so people who throw up that DJT lost to Curbo and Dizzy means not too much. Curbo is one of the very best as is Dizzy and Dizzy is the best Cage on earth. Throwing up that DJT lost to great players in a close MU doesnt make it even. How many Cage's has DJT beaten with Sub? You have to take that into consideration then if you are going to consider his losses to Cage's.

Bottom line is that it is at the very least a slight adv for Sub-Zero, but it is winnable for Cage.

Sub holds the lead easier then Cage. When Cage has the lead, Sub can approach Cage easier then Cage can approach Sub when Sub has the lead.
I almost had you...almost...

almost... ;~;

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
Thats not true.

D1 is +1 on standing hit
D3 is +5 on crouch hit.

I can also make you respect tks by interruptibg your f3 pressure with d1~tks. It may be a risk, but if used right will work for me.
you can do d1 tks but that can be interupted if you block the d1. d1 never safe vs a cage that looks to punish pokes ermac vs cage 6-4 cage

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
yeah it seems like a 6-4. Not terrible but a 1 game advantage to sub for sure.
yeah its not terrible but a battle of patience. sub def has the adv. with clone d4 and slide fireballs on reaction. and you know how deadly subs corner game is. cage doesn't have a safe option out.

i think its possible cage has 6 bad matchups and more evens that case.

sonya
sub-zero
kenshi
freddy
kabal
(cyrax?)

i also dont see how reptile cage is in cages favor, reptiles zoning is amazing and can grant him free pressure...

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
i think its possible cage has 6 bad matchups and more evens that case.

sonya
sub-zero
kenshi
freddy
kabal
(cyrax?)

i also dont see how reptile cage is in cages favor, reptiles zoning is amazing and can grant him free pressure...
I think Reptile is even.

Cyrax I also think is even. Adv to Cyrax for being able to kill you in 1 combo, but Cage has the movement to go through his setups and locking Cyrax into pressure.

I think Reptile is even.

Cyrax I also think is even. Adv to Cyrax for being able to kill you in 1 combo, but Cage has the movement to go through his setups and locking Cyrax into pressure.
true, also cage can punish d1s with ease and cyrax's d3 is 9 frames, but cyrax's continue to develop their zoning. i find kitana to be sketch too.

Illmatix

Remember, representing ermac is illmatic.
its 8 frames, the fastest d4 in the game, its 2 frames slower than the fastest pokes in the game, but neutrral on block.
wow!! are you serious? 2 frames slower than the fastest? i must have been subconsciously down playing him lol. it seems like when new stuff is found... its in favor of mac...
intradesting....

I feel like Kenshi and Kabal are his only MUs that are difficult to overcome against top players. You can easily deal with his other bad MUs, but those 2 are very difficult, and may need a counterpick.

wow!! are you serious? 2 frames slower than the fastest? i must have been subconsciously down playing him lol. it seems like when new stuff is found... its in favor of mac...
intradesting....
just check the frame data, the fastest pokes in the game are 6 frame d1's. subzero d4 is 8 frames, regular d4 is 12 frames

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
Aww screw it, i can't stay away from mu charts and i feel i should make a cage mu chart and i'll tag in some high lvl cages and get their input on it as well
GGA Dizzy
Claude VonStroke
Mikemetroid
Denzell
CURBOLICOUS
A F0xy Grampa
Maxter
can't tag em all lol so here goes the list:
Scorpion: 7-3
Sub-Zero: 4-6
Reptile: 6-4
Ermac: 6-4
Noob: 6-4
Smoke: 6-4
Rain: 5-5
Mileena: 6-4
Kitana: 5-5
Jade: 6-4
Skarlet: 5-5
Sektor: 5-5
Cyrax: 4-6
Cyber Sub: 5-5
Kenshi: 3-7
Freddy: 3-7
Sindel: 6-4
Sonya: 4-6
Jax: 6-4
Stryker: 6-4
Liu Kang: 5-5
Kung Lao: 6-4
Kano: 7-3
Nightwolf: 7-3
Kabal: 3-7
Baraka: 6-4
Shang Tsung: 5-5
Quan Chi: 7-3
Raiden: 6-4
Sheeva: 7-3
Have your thoughts changed on the Reptile-Cage MU? I might be approaching the MU totally wrong but the risk/reward feels like its very much in Cage's favor when he gets in. For example, you (reptile) can dash, beat cage's f3 and take 11%, or he guesses you're dashing and gets approx 20% and you get put back into pressure after being reset with a nutpunch into forceball frame trape, while he builds meter. If I have meter, I can try (as Reptile) to EX dash to beat a JC poke but that can be beaten with a reverse input EX nutpunch after the first hit is blocked and leads back to the whole him building meter, reptile taking chip, and still stuck in his pressure situation. EX armored slide doesn't feel worth the risk, either unfortunately. Using a bar to get out and take 12% when you can just dash and take 11% with the same reward and punishment scenario...seems not worth it. EX slide also is a lot easier to punish; you might get lucky and cage could drop the dash punish (but LBSH, f3 is one the easiest punishes there is for dash)

The other option is you (as reptile) start your pressure when you realize the Cage is waiting for dash, so you can 321 into AH or whatever, but if you're wrong on that guess you lose more than you gain - block damage + meter and little push back vs Cage getting a nutpunch plus all the trimmings that come with it (meter, chip, pressure).

If I were to play a Cage in tournament, I would at this point be using Cyrax, but I like to hear people's thoughts on the MU. Reptile is one of those characters who is good enough that he shouldn't need to have a counter pick option for almost all MU's in my opinion.

If anyone else wants to chime in, feel free.

edit: forgot to add that d3 (his fastest normal at 8 frames) loses to f3 most of the time; not sure if its because f3 low crushes some moves or because reptile's hitbox is raised when he does d3...so poking out of cages pressure with normals is almost completely out of the question in the MU.

I'd be more apt to say the mileena matchup is 5-5. har lcck of armor is problematic if cage gets in and starts pressure, but it's pretty easy to keep him away.

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
Have your thoughts changed on the Reptile-Cage MU? I might be approaching the MU totally wrong but the risk/reward feels like its very much in Cage's favor when he gets in. For example, you (reptile) can dash, beat cage's f3 and take 11%, or he guesses you're dashing and gets approx 20% and you get put back into pressure after being reset with a nutpunch into forceball frame trape, while he builds meter. If I have meter, I can try (as Reptile) to EX dash to beat a JC poke but that can be beaten with a reverse input EX nutpunch after the first hit is blocked and leads back to the whole him building meter, reptile taking chip, and still stuck in his pressure situation. EX armored slide doesn't feel worth the risk, either unfortunately. Using a bar to get out and take 12% when you can just dash and take 11% with the same reward and punishment scenario...seems not worth it. EX slide also is a lot easier to punish; you might get lucky and cage could drop the dash punish (but LBSH, f3 is one the easiest punishes there is for dash)

The other option is you (as reptile) start your pressure when you realize the Cage is waiting for dash, so you can 321 into AH or whatever, but if you're wrong on that guess you lose more than you gain - block damage + meter and little push back vs Cage getting a nutpunch plus all the trimmings that come with it (meter, chip, pressure).

If I were to play a Cage in tournament, I would at this point be using Cyrax, but I like to hear people's thoughts on the MU. Reptile is one of those characters who is good enough that he shouldn't need to have a counter pick option for almost all MU's in my opinion.

If anyone else wants to chime in, feel free.

edit: forgot to add that d3 (his fastest normal at 8 frames) loses to f3 most of the time; not sure if its because f3 low crushes some moves or because retpile's hitbox is raised when he does d3...so poking out of cages pressure with normals is almost completely out of the question in the MU.
On the reptile mu cage def wins it 6-4. reptile can try and make it competitive but his zoning won't keep cage out for long. his normals are kinda of slow doesn't help at all. I've played this mu lots of times and its difficult to keep cage away with reptile offline. my bro is one the best reptiles in tourny to play. He says reptile loses it. yep cage can punish dash with ex nut punch or full combo but that is harder to do. cage doesn't have to jump alot to win this match. just stay on the ground and block all the zoning duck acid spit. reptile will corner himself and he has no safe way to get to the other side.

reptile is doing slowball acid spit fast orb etc. and he is slowly cornering himself. couple d4 acid hands but that doesn't get him to the other side. he has to risk doing dash unsafe. ex dash unsafe. or take a risk while getting pressured. reptile has to take too many risks I think to win the match. Lots of cages say its 5-5 but I think that's from too much online. offline it is 100% 6-4 no ifs ands or buts. Reptile still can make it competitive and make it look like its 5-5 but it's 6-4. nothing will convince me otherwise that it is even.

you are definitely doing right using cyrax vs cage because cage loses to rax. I would strongly recommend that choice. reptile is a losing match vs cage and strongly disagree using him vs cage. online is good to get an idea of what alot of mus are but when mu's are close to 5-5 but are really 6-4 need to be played offline. just my opinion on the match very manageable for rep but cage wins it.

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
I'd be more apt to say the mileena matchup is 5-5. har lcck of armor is problematic if cage gets in and starts pressure, but it's pretty easy to keep him away.
with mileena its definitely not easy to keep cage out. all cage has to do is stay on the ground. mileena has to be completely patient and not be random at all. its hard for mileena not to get random when cage is cornering her. her zoning is nothing for cage to worry about. she has no safe way of getting out of cage's pressure other than d3. cage doesn't need to throw projectiles in this mu. its a ground game. cage wins that ground game. cage can punish all teles and ex tele with standing 1 into nutpunch combo. then pressure.

its a 6-4 cage minimum could possibly be 7-3. I know this mu extremely well. I know the character extremely well i've only lost a fight to a mileena in tourny once and that was vs pig's. I know Mileena really well. She just has to be too risky to beat cage or force cage somehow to jump and make mistakes. I just don't see how the mu can in any way be even. cage wins it definitely.

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
I think Reptile is even.

I've kind of thought the mu was even for a while but cyrax does beat cage.
the cage can make it look even but rax wins it. he has bombs,d4,d3,buzzsaw, d1+exragdoll, aa grab, resets, command grab. cyrax can also go on the offensive with cgs. d4 is plus 16 on a standing opponent. cage has to be careful with his meter. p1 does come into play in this mu. rax standing 1 is 9f and cage f3 is 9f. they do it at the same time whoever is player one side will win. or cyrax can d1+exragdoll out of pressure and that isn't interuptible either. its like +20 on cancel. cage can't trade either. cage has to take a little more risks I think to win it.

I would say 6-4 cyrax now

I think it's at least a 6-4 in Cage's favor, possibly 7-3. Her best spacing tool, D4, is whiff punishable and can be counter hit. Her sais aren't going to do much against dash blocking or just dashing in. The main thing however is that Cage is a serious problem up close for Mileena and her only option is to use an xray or risk using pokes. He can also punish her hard on blocked telekicks as well and put her back into the situation she has a terrible time getting out of.