What's new

General/Other - Johnny Cage Johnny Cage General Discussion Thread

RyuKazuya

Jesus is my Lord and Savior!
Tbh im not really bothered by that.
Johnnys jumps were never good to begin with aside from his njp so i always stuck to his ground game abusig f3 ;)
yea i always wonder why we need jips when we have good footsie tools in the first place. but when facing a yoner we rly need jump punches i d say

Dja_Homies

Kaz...... I'm already a Fiddle.
For zoners I tend to use ji3 since it adjusts your hitbox and you can start your game once they're knocked down. Also ji3 into d1 12 12 etc. In the corner pretty good. The jump ins don't really hurt Johnny since he's always been a grounded character with minimal use of his jump attacks besides njp. If any of you guys are a bit froggy with cage that's kind of a problem since his jump ins were always sort of useless even before the patch.

Last edited:

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
Today I did for the first time one f24SKRC combo lol...it was an emotional moment :D

I also noticed that after a connected ji4 it looks easier to connect f3xxnutpunch compared to ji3. Still very hard, but more consistent (at least for me).

Is Johnny Cage high in tier lists at the moment? Which variation is best? Is he top10?
He is mid tier, A-List and Stunt Double are equally good, he isn't top 10

Bilbo11

Noob
I didnt want to say anything initially because I didn't want to be making shit up, but something does feel a little different. I feel like I'm whiffing more. According to this forum it's fine though. If it whiffs, I just shouldn't do the move. LoL.

Tell me I'm shit: I cannot for the life of me F24 SKRC on block into D1 on any reversal, subzero slide, cassie flipkick ect, these were not even armored versions. Pre Patch I could happily do this on block and I was even able to keep 113 SKRC 'Safe on block' vs Kung laos Ex Cyclone.

Is it me, the new timing or the patch? Because I swear I could do all of this before very happily. Can any one explain what is going on or do I have to re learn perfect cancels in order to do anything with Cage now?

Asodimazze

Tell me I'm shit: I cannot for the life of me F24 SKRC on block into D1 on any reversal, subzero slide, cassie flipkick ect, these were not even armored versions. Pre Patch I could happily do this on block and I was even able to keep 113 SKRC 'Safe on block' vs Kung laos Ex Cyclone.

Is it me, the new timing or the patch? Because I swear I could do all of this before very happily. Can any one explain what is going on or do I have to re learn perfect cancels in order to do anything with Cage now?
My theory is that after the OS removal, you have to input both FF inputs after the start of the animation. Before the patch you could probably hit the first F input a few frames before it. I could be totally wrong, but this is how it feels to me so maybe for you is the same.

Leart to input the run cancel after the SK animation starts. If you cancel the shadow kick very late in the string, you should be able to do SKRCFFR2 like a single motion.

Bilbo11

Noob
Leart to input the run cancel after the SK animation starts. If you cancel the shadow kick very late in the string, you should be able to do SKRCFFR2 like a single motion.
sounds like a plan, does this leave Cage plus though ? Ill hit it up tomorrow and see how I go, JC might not be as plus as he used to be because of the OS removals :(

Asodimazze

sounds like a plan, does this leave Cage plus though ? Ill hit it up tomorrow and see how I go, JC might not be as plus as he used to be because of the OS removals :(
He is as plus as he was before the patch, work on the different execution and you'll be able to do everything...no worries!

RyuKazuya

Jesus is my Lord and Savior!
My theory is that after the OS removal, you have to input both FF inputs after the start of the animation. Before the patch you could probably hit the first F input a few frames before it. I could be totally wrong, but this is how it feels to me so maybe for you is the same.

was it possible to buffer foward before the patch. like doing bf4 holding foward and then pressing f blk to rc?

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Today I did for the first time one f24SKRC combo lol...it was an emotional moment :D

I also noticed that after a connected ji4 it looks easier to connect f3xxnutpunch compared to ji3. Still very hard, but more consistent (at least for me).

He is mid tier, A-List and Stunt Double are equally good, he isn't top 10
Is he bottom 5 though? :DOGE

Last edited:

Asodimazze

was it possible to buffer foward before the patch. like doing bf4 holding foward and then pressing f blk to rc?
Maybe yes, maybe not lol. I can't be 100% sure, but if it was possible before and not now, it would explain a lot.
I am still perfecting the new execution, sometimes I forget to wait a bit and input FF too early, failing to cancel SK. It never happened to me before the patch.
Is he bottom 5 though? :DOGE
Uhm, It's kinda hard to tell who is bottom 5 after this patch. I don't really know friend :p What do you think?

Last edited:

kelevra

Steel cable bungee jumper
yeah, i know. but if you do f24 skrc 12 and if your opp blocks it, atleast you can continue block pressure, as well as do the juggle if it hits :)
Interesting point but you can skrc the F24 on reaction pretty easily if its blocked.
It's the better option because you dont lose stamina in case it hits.

Frosted 57

Reforming Lurker
Just figured I would share something I have been using that works in Fisticuffs and A-List. Near the corner I have been using 11xxDB4xxDB4 to anti-air. So if the 11 connects you get 11xxFlipkick and can combo off it, and if the second 1 whiffs you get 114xxFlipkick which you can still combo off of. Mid-screen you can use the same thing just instead do 11xxDB4xxBF4(this motion is actually more like 11xxDB4F4). So you either get 11xxFlipkick or 114xxShadow Kick. It's nothing incredible, especially since 1 isn't a great anti-air to begin with, but it has its uses and allows for an easy confirm.

Also wanted to know if anyone else had any thoughts on FC post patch. I'm not too optimistic even though I really like the F34 change. I feel like the patch just gave him a lot more tough match ups. I had actually written out a whole post about what I thought, but it just turned into a wall of text so I decided not to post it. I was disappointed there were no changes to Flipkick/ExFlipkick or Fist Bump as I felt like those would of been easy places to make some minor changes to help him out. Just curious if anyone has had any good experiences with FC since the update.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Just figured I would share something I have been using that works in Fisticuffs and A-List. Near the corner I have been using 11xxDB4xxDB4 to anti-air. So if the 11 connects you get 11xxFlipkick and can combo off it, and if the second 1 whiffs you get 114xxFlipkick which you can still combo off of. Mid-screen you can use the same thing just instead do 11xxDB4xxBF4(this motion is actually more like 11xxDB4F4). So you either get 11xxFlipkick or 114xxShadow Kick. It's nothing incredible, especially since 1 isn't a great anti-air to begin with, but it has its uses and allows for an easy confirm.

Also wanted to know if anyone else had any thoughts on FC post patch. I'm not too optimistic even though I really like the F34 change. I feel like the patch just gave him a lot more tough match ups. I had actually written out a whole post about what I thought, but it just turned into a wall of text so I decided not to post it. I was disappointed there were no changes to Flipkick/ExFlipkick or Fist Bump as I felt like those would of been easy places to make some minor changes to help him out. Just curious if anyone has had any good experiences with FC since the update.
using flipkick as a blockstring bro are you as mad as I am???

Fisticups is the same, f34 being -3 is nice since with the chip trait activated it does 6% on block.

Frosted 57

Reforming Lurker
using flipkick as a blockstring bro are you as mad as I am???

Fisticups is the same, f34 being -3 is nice since with the chip trait activated it does 6% on block.
What do mean using flipkick as a block string? Or was that a response to something else?

Frosted 57

Reforming Lurker
I was using it to anti-air, as a response to them having already jumped. They wouldn't be blocking as they would be airborne. Again it isn't anything all that great, but it can work.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
I can't believe jumpin attacks are useless while that piece of crap Subzero keeps his ji1. HE NEEDS IT. ffs.

Prop to @Dizzy. He won GBS season 2 with A-list Johnny Cage. Dizzy has a very good JC (although ex-Forceball whiffed at some matches)
We should all level up a lot
Plz go to more tournament Dizzy, I want to learn more from you