What's new

Jax General Discussion

JontyHar23

Never Stop Improving
Not to sound argumentative, but I just tried it again and couldn't get it. I made sure arms were fully heated up and everything, but to no avail. After turning off the option for held krushing blows, I replicated it and got it to work consistently. I take it that you're able to get it to work? Edit: got it now, just had to hold throw instead of 1+3.

FreshPrinceOfPine

You think you're bad?
I really wish 221122 was an ability an either of the tourney variations, it's so badass. Plus it would complement the pressure of GB, and allow for quick heated arms with HD

Regardless, if you guys wanna have fun in kasuals, duck and weave with the command grab is ridiculously fun. And d&w with expert grappler would be insanely scary

Is there anyone else that has been messing with custom variations? Buckshot seems just ok but definitely not worth a slot over thumper, and I cannot for the life of me figure out what you're supposed to do with lethal clap

Osagri

Fear the blade of Osh-Tekk
I really wish 221122 was an ability an either of the tourney variations, it's so badass. Plus it would complement the pressure of GB, and allow for quick heated arms with HD

Regardless, if you guys wanna have fun in kasuals, duck and weave with the command grab is ridiculously fun. And d&w with expert grappler would be insanely scary

Is there anyone else that has been messing with custom variations? Buckshot seems just ok but definitely not worth a slot over thumper, and I cannot for the life of me figure out what you're supposed to do with lethal clap
I experimented D&W with command grab in launch but it sucked:D it would be rly good if the cancel was better in d&w

Down 2

Noob

I was thinking the same exact thing after playing a few matches yesterday. I really hate that that there are all these special moves and abilities that go to waste due to how NRS set it up.

I must be tripping but I can’t get Jax’s tick grab to come out when I set the opponent to duck block, I could have sworn that works

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
You have a really large window to confirm bf2 into the mb version. On block you go into bf2 which is -7. On hit you hitconfirm into the mb version. Hunker Down has no way to make b3 safe. The normal is pretty useless in that variation. And yea the cancel is a total gimmick.
I have not tested it off b3 specifically, so there is a chance it’s the exception, but in general hit/block confirming into bf2 is not safe. While it’s -7, there’s a gap before the hit that you can interrupt with 7 frame moves (so full combo punish for many characters). (Edit: it’s more than a 7 frame gap, the punish is just particularly easy with a move that has 7 frames or less of startup).

If Jax thinks they will try to interrupt, he can go into his low or amplified finisher, which are unsafe but have no gap / smaller gap. It’s an unsafe mixup for Jax where the risk-reward isn’t fantastic for him. I wouldn’t advocate dialing in bf2 all the time, but if you do it once in a while it’s probably ok.

Last edited:

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
I think you guys are sleeping on HD's damage, HD converts for more damage than GB for no bar. You don't get hit confirmable combos, but the 1+3 ender damage adds up really quick and heats your arms really quick, allowing you to use bf3 more liberally. You can punish really negative frames (like teleports) with 4xxbf4 for respectable damage, j3 mid screen nets good damage as well with b1xxbf4.

Halfnha1f

Learn From This
Ok cool that’s good to know. Any other things I should know when using Jax in training mode?
thats about it. only other thing i would mention is that the second hit of his 22 string is labeled as a mid but it acts as a high but if you play jax you probably already know that. I've got a clip where i lose half my life for using it.

thats about it. only other thing i would mention is that the second hit of his 22 string is labeled as a mid but it acts as a high but if you play jax you probably already know that. I've got a clip where i lose half my life for using it.
Yeah, I only throw it out cuz I rarely use it and it catches people

His come back factor is literally broken lmao. After a fatal blow we have full heat, after that I always stagger into command grab and get 400dmg. If need be after that a forward throw is still a kb. That’s 730 damage you can get after a kb

6ixty9

Noob
Im having trouble getting to use command grab in a fight... Not sure if my input is too slow but i often just get poked when i go for it.

Tips for landing it? I need to work on d3 tick throw. Not even gonna bother with d1, that input is way too fast.

Any other useful strats or tick throws?

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
Im having trouble getting to use command grab in a fight... Not sure if my input is too slow but i often just get poked when i go for it.

Tips for landing it? I need to work on d3 tick throw. Not even gonna bother with d1, that input is way too fast.

Any other useful strats or tick throws?
imo d3 tick throw is useless because you'll whiff it if they eat the d3, which is more likely than them eating a d1 because it hits low. With d1 its binary - if they're blocking, they get thrown, while if you d3 they have to be crouch blocking. TBH you should just put the time in the lab to get comfortable doing d1 ticks. If you want you can try doing d1xxbf1 instead of d1xxdbf1, apparently that works as well.

FreshPrinceOfPine

You think you're bad?
imo d3 tick throw is useless because you'll whiff it if they eat the d3, which is more likely than them eating a d1 because it hits low. With d1 its binary - if they're blocking, they get thrown, while if you d3 they have to be crouch blocking. TBH you should just put the time in the lab to get comfortable doing d1 ticks. If you want you can try doing d1xxbf1 instead of d1xxdbf1, apparently that works as well.
I can do d1 tick throws easily, but I am having trouble comfortably tick throwing off a d1 in a poke war. Like typically we'll both be crouching and I try to d1dbf1, but i'm never quick enough and end up gotcha grabbing. Should I just get better at that input, or should I start standing up real quick then d1bf1