What's new

Jax General Discussion

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
I can do d1 tick throws easily, but I am having trouble comfortably tick throwing off a d1 in a poke war. Like typically we'll both be crouching and I try to d1dbf1, but i'm never quick enough and end up gotcha grabbing. Should I just get better at that input, or should I start standing up real quick then d1bf1
Yeah it might not be quickness, just cleanliness of the input, you actually have more time for the input than you think. You're probably messing up the input due to in-the-moment nerves, you just have to get so comfortable with the input that you can get it without thinking.

freerf245

11 11 11 11
So what matchups do you guys think give Jax trouble? I think he struggles vs characters with a strong zoning game and long range normals. Jade, Kabal, Skarlet, Cassie, and Liu kang are characters that give me trouble and make me wanna switch. Not sure how many of them are bad matchups, but i hate fighting these.

freerf245

11 11 11 11
erron can put acid and enter quick draw and jax cant do shit. erron win this match up at any range for more reward than jax and safer
Once Erron runs out of bullets Jax wins the zoning game. Erron is forced to play up close and Jax has the buttons to deal with it. It’s still hard but thats just Erron being Erron.

UPR_Nova

Noob
So what matchups do you guys think give Jax trouble? I think he struggles vs characters with a strong zoning game and long range normals. Jade, Kabal, Skarlet, Cassie, and Liu kang are characters that give me trouble and make me wanna switch. Not sure how many of them are bad matchups, but i hate fighting these.
From what I've played, Cetrion is very tough. I also see Kitana being a potential problem but I need to play it more to say for certain. Raiden on paper but until someone shows me otherwise, it's in favor of Jax. The ones you listed (besides Skarlet) feel like 5-5 imo. The reason I don't include Skarlet is because I haven't played one so I don't know what it feels like. I could see it being tough on paper. I know I'm probably forgetting a few characters. Something probably will be discovered that shifts these though. It's crazy because Jax is always in it, and I would argue only Jacqui is better up close in relation to frames and mids. To be clear, I hate fighting Kang as well. That character alone made me pick up Geras for the pocket.

Halfnha1f

Learn From This
Jade and cassie feel like his hardest matchups to me.

freerf245

11 11 11 11
From what I've played, Cetrion is very tough. I also see Kitana being a potential problem but I need to play it more to say for certain. Raiden on paper but until someone shows me otherwise, it's in favor of Jax. The ones you listed (besides Skarlet) feel like 5-5 imo. The reason I don't include Skarlet is because I haven't played one so I don't know what it feels like. I could see it being tough on paper. I know I'm probably forgetting a few characters. Something probably will be discovered that shifts these though. It's crazy because Jax is always in it, and I would argue only Jacqui is better up close in relation to frames and mids. To be clear, I hate fighting Kang as well. That character alone made me pick up Geras for the pocket.
I forgot about Cetrion that matchup is ass too. Haven’t fought enough good kitanas to be able to tell but I can see how it could be hard. You don’t think Cassie is hard? She zones him tf out and her normals may be better than Jax’s. Only way to win this matchup is getting her in the corner from my experience.

UPR_Nova

Noob
I forgot about Cetrion that matchup is ass too. Haven’t fought enough good kitanas to be able to tell but I can see how it could be hard. You don’t think Cassie is hard? She zones him tf out and her normals may be better than Jax’s. Only way to win this matchup is getting her in the corner from my experience.
I actually play a really good Cassie (Illustrates but I'm not 100% sure if he's on here). Right now, it feels even. Although annoying the gunshots aren't really what you wanna focus on countering. You wanna play this matchup by focusing on her elbow range. I'm not sure what that button is but that's the one that messes with Jax spacing the most. From there, you will start to see where you wanna live. Take that string to the lab and base your entire plan around it.

It's just my opinion though. I haven't felt anything in that matchup that cripples or takes away anything from Jax. That's the only reason I say even. I could easily be incorrect.

Halfnha1f

Learn From This
Ive had some success against cetrion by using the briggs briggade projectile parry even though that move is complete ass. It happens to work well against cetrions boulders because of the long startup. You can do it on reaction. The problem with her is the telaport. Same with skarlet as far as the telaport goes. You put in a ton of work to get by her zoning and get her cornered then she just telaports. Raidens try and lame you out by telaporting away and when you corner them they jump up and superman to other side of the stage.

UPR_Nova

Noob
Ive had some success against cetrion by using the briggs briggade projectile parry even though that move is complete ass. It happens to work well against cetrions boulders because of the long startup. You can do it on reaction. The problem with her is the telaport. Same with skarlet as far as the telaport goes. You put in a ton of work to get by her zoning and get her cornered then she just telaports. Raidens try and lame you out by telaporting away and when you corner them they jump up and superman to other side of the stage.
Yes. Really it is the defensive teleport option. The distance of getaway really hinders the gamelan and makes the Jax rush the clock.

I agree, I feel as though all of these match ups do a good job of zoning Jax out, and still going about even once he gets in, sans them in the corner. I'd add Kitana as a matchup he struggles with as well. On the fence about Cetrion.

Very curious as to your reasoning on Erron Black and Geras, however. I feel it is impossible to zone either of them, with Geras sand, and Erron's scud shot. I also believe they have better buttons up close. Do you also have Scorpion and Sonya as a 5-5? I'm torn on Sonya. I feel she has a good zoning and a solid 50/50 up close.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I think he loses to:

Cetrion
Cassie
Kabal
Liu
Skarlet
Jade

To varying degrees. Some more than others. Most of these are probably 4-6. But I think Cetrion, either variation, is pretty bad.

I think Sonya is 5-5 or slightly her adv due to rings.

I think Jax beats Scorpion

I don’t usually have issues with liu, only time one ever gave me an issue was a liu player that opted to zone more. I just wasn’t accustomed to it.

From my experience, the hardest matchups have been cassie and kabal who both have better neutral and better zoning. With Sonya if they abuse the onion rings with crazy good recovery and throw in a couple of overhead drones its just oppressive. If not, then Sonya doesn't feel too difficult.

From my experience, the hardest matchups have been cassie and kabal who both have better neutral and better zoning. With Sonya if they abuse the onion rings with crazy good recovery and throw in a couple of overhead drones its just oppressive. If not, then Sonya doesn't feel too difficult.
Yes I’ve rage quite against a Sonya before. Not my proudest moment but her onion rings are infuriating.

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
Sonya if she opts to zone is a bad time. Cetrion to varying degrees. Liu is fine once u know how to play around his zoning. Jade when u can punish glow with a bf2 due to Jade having a fuck ton of recovery so she pree much has to go full screen to safely do it. Midscreen is doable. Kabal well u can trade decently with thumper but he has more range so he has slight advantage. Cassie is doable. Her lowshots aren't too bad to deal with. Skarlet idk since no one plays her but if u get in she's fucked with her normals being hot garbage mostly and if she gets her zoning going Jax is fucked so it's even.

Halfnha1f

Learn From This
Does anybody know whos the best secondary character to cover Jaxs bad matchups? I really dont want to resort to having to using scorpion, i cant stand that character. Maybe Geras? Or Sub for anti zoning

Here what i would recommend for jax buffs

-arms heat up should requiere only 1 bar for full heat
-increase jax dmg slighly on his overhead strings and low example f2 + grab or increase the dmg buff from the heated arms
-make d12 link into gotcha
-reduce the delay for the bf2 to be active
-reduce the speed wich jax lose his heat for his arm
-give at least one good tick throw to jax other than d1 and d3 when baraka has 12 or even more
-make f41 a mid so the move isnt completly useless , or give F4 a tick throw with the cmd grab

the other variation is completly useless cause you can OS every single stance moves offline and even full combo punish.

Last edited: