What's new

General/Other - Jason Voorhees Jason Voorhees General Discussion Thread

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
Only seen a little gameplay and played one decent Jason but am wondering... Is he viable? Also is there a consensus on his best variation yet?

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
So did the newest patch make his anti air grab an actual anti air now? What exactly does it mean does not trade with air moves? Does it mean it beats out all air moves now? I'd love to know because Kotal got the same treatment on his air grab too.

Only seen a little gameplay and played one decent Jason but am wondering... Is he viable? Also is there a consensus on his best variation yet?
He's viable imo, just really really hard to win with at high level. I think if b1 would hit crouching opponents he'd be a solid mid tier character but I think he's low tier cause of that.

So did the newest patch make his anti air grab an actual anti air now? What exactly does it mean does not trade with air moves? Does it mean it beats out all air moves now? I'd love to know because Kotal got the same treatment on his air grab too.

He's viable imo, just really really hard to win with at high level. I think if b1 would hit crouching opponents he'd be a solid mid tier character but I think he's low tier cause of that.
Jason is a pile of shit. Unfortunately, he seems very unpopular compared to the other characters so i dont see him being buffed. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.....

Everything he does is negative or unsafe. He has no mixups in reality...you can see the low launcher in slasher coming from a mile away and its full combo punish on block. His b1 in other variations whiffs for some reason against crouching characters even though ita a mid

His killing machine move he was apparently designed around is ass. It makes no sense you can knock him out of it, and it grants the oppt full combo punish. Smart players will just rush jason down once theyve baited an armor move or two so you prob wont even be able to use it.

His normals are all so slow and his fastest poke is 8frames. Im not sure what this character is supposed to excel at besides trolling with the Kill for Mommy fatality

/rant

E

Eldriken

Jason is a pile of shit. Unfortunately, he seems very unpopular compared to the other characters so i dont see him being buffed. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.....

Everything he does is negative or unsafe. He has no mixups in reality...you can see the low launcher in slasher coming from a mile away and its full combo punish on block. His b1 in other variations whiffs for some reason against crouching characters even though ita a mid

His killing machine move he was apparently designed around is ass. It makes no sense you can knock him out of it, and it grants the oppt full combo punish. Smart players will just rush jason down once theyve baited an armor move or two so you prob wont even be able to use it.

His normals are all so slow and his fastest poke is 8frames. Im not sure what this character is supposed to excel at besides trolling with the Kill for Mommy fatality

/rant
People need to make use of his 12 string more. It's plus on block and people probably aren't used to seeing it in Slasher. So you can catch people pressing buttons afterwards if they're not aware of it.

Mix up f4 and f2 on knockdown. I know f2 doesn't lead to much, but you can condition people to block high with it.

Hidan

Where the hell is Reiko's wheel kick

/rant
Jason is solid mid. Both pros & cons in the package.

Slasher is fine, mixup exists, it just isn't that simple.
Tag me in slasher thread if you want details.

Bottomline: he needs wooork

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Really? It doesn't punish Kotal's F2 as far as I know which is also -10.
So, wrong frames on Roll then
Roll is 8f startup and has travel frames, same thing with Joker's gunshot not being 15f from further than midscreen.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
According to The Reptile is Bottom 5 thread, Jason is bottom five.

Thoughts?

Hidan

I think Jason is tight. I really like Relentless. It's super thematic.
Yeah Relentless is my favorite too, he has the coolest horror elements & spacing game. Plus I believe his tick throws are better than 50/50.

But, we shouldn't sleep on Slasher, I try to play both and as simple as he may seem, he feels more complicated than relentless sometimes

Thought: he is unexplored to be placed on the tier list.
And if 2/3 variations are tournament viable, counter pick jackpot

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Yeah Relentless is my favorite too, he has the coolest horror elements & spacing game. Plus I believe his tick throws are better than 50/50.

But, we shouldn't sleep on Slasher, I try to play both and as simple as he may seem, he feels more complicated than relentless sometimes

Thought: he is unexplored to be placed on the tier list.
And if 2/3 variations are tournament viable, counter pick jackpot
Here's what i don't understand:
People say that Jason has no 50/50. But isn't guessing on if he'll end a string with an unblockable command grab or if he'll keep pressuring a 50/50 in and of itself?

I don't think 50/50s are just OH/LOW.

Hidan

Here's what i don't understand:
People say that Jason has no 50/50. But isn't guessing on if he'll end a string with an unblockable command grab or if he'll keep pressuring a 50/50 in and of itself?

I don't think 50/50s are just OH/LOW.
Well the term is, anything that has more than one way to defend against is a setup.
And that's why I said that his tick throws are better than 50/50 (an OH/LOW setup). Because sqeeze has the best recovery it could have and moves like B2 are excellent when ppl jump to avoid throw instead of using armor

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
According to The Reptile is Bottom 5 thread, Jason is bottom five.

Thoughts?
There has been a recent, widespread wave of people on TYM claiming Jason is nonviable trash. I completely disagree with this notion. I think he's just fine and I actually think all three variations will be deemed viable when all is said and done.

mhtdtr

Ancestors, give me strength!
One question valid for all variations:

What are the best options to punish?

i'm asking because Jason sucks at poking and always that someone put pressure on me seems that they have the first option to poke me out with 1, d1 or similar moves. I know that i can do an ex move but i wonder if there is an option to beat someone who pokes without meter. Thanks.

_CHINOCUDEIRO_

Machakabotones
One question valid for all variations:

What are the best options to punish?

i'm asking because Jason sucks at poking and always that someone put pressure on me seems that they have the first option to poke me out with 1, d1 or similar moves. I know that i can do an ex move but i wonder if there is an option to beat someone who pokes without meter. Thanks.
Amano¡¡¡¡
Cuánto tiempo....
Yo llevo a Jason y te digo que sólo el D1 funciona,es bastante estandar,no es el mejor para tampoco taaan malo. Con Jason debes presionar tú, porque su D2 es pestoso y el D1 meh. Si tienes meter, lo mejor es el DF1 que pilla jump-ins y todo...
P.D: Translating: D1 is meh, D2 sucks and you must be the one who pressures if you mains Jason

mhtdtr

Ancestors, give me strength!
Amano¡¡¡¡
Cuánto tiempo....
Yo llevo a Jason y te digo que sólo el D1 funciona,es bastante estandar,no es el mejor para tampoco taaan malo. Con Jason debes presionar tú, porque su D2 es pestoso y el D1 meh. Si tienes meter, lo mejor es el DF1 que pilla jump-ins y todo...
P.D: Translating: D1 is meh, D2 sucks and you must be the one who pressures if you mains Jason
Demasiado tiempo! Echo de menos esas quedadas de fighting games.

I see that the best option is maybe d1 but still i think loses to almost everyone quick. I fought a reptile and an ermac and i cannot do anything to stop the pressuere without meter.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
Any videos of some (good) Jason gameplay or ny players who main Jason I can watch?
Well King Jr played him on TCW stream and did fairly well. There was also a Jason the SCR Preulude stream named Khatoic Armor, not sure how much he was on though, he seemed good too.

http://www.twitch.tv/digitalprosports/v/5880691

7:30:13 for King JR vs DJT's Cage

3:48:42 for King JR vs Michaelangelo

One thing I really liked about King JR was how solid he played, he didn't do a ton of tick grabs, it was very simple and solid play. Blocked Quan's mixups really well(although Mike never once did the better bat mixups) and he got into Mikes head with Jason's pressure(which is a miracle in and of itself). Never uses tele once, I don't even think he hits a command grab the entire set. Just a lot of reversal controls and b122, 111 and choke.

http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/v/5886474

6:48:00 for Khaotic Armor(Slasher/Relentless) vs Wonder Chef(Quan/Summoner)

One of the cool things about Armor is he plays completely differently than King JR, used way more tick grabs, command grabs and teleports but no use of Pursuit or Killing Machine at all. I'd like to see this again when a Quan doesn't drop so many combos. Jason's that scary to play against huh? Making everyone crack.

7:06:15 for Khaotic Armor(Relentless/Slasher) vs Chris G(Kung Jin)

Last edited:
E

Eldriken

They need t make it to where you can EX both Killing Machine and Dark Pursuit to speed up their activation and make them last longer.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
They need t make it to where you can EX both Killing Machine and Dark Pursuit to speed up their activation and make them last longer.
That'd be nice, I'd be happy with faster recovery on Pursuit for the EX version. Longer lasting Killing Machine would be a great buff too.