What's new

Jade General Discussion Thread

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Yeah it's punishable, but you have to jump well before the glaive starts going straight, which is either a good read or young savage reactions. Off specific strings that are safe anyway, this is usable.
And you can cancel f2 into exupglaive to guarantee that they won't, right?

Espio

Kokomo
I was discussing this on the discord, but what I have been doing now is utilizing her first hit whiff strings to utilize her safe mid hitting strings like (1) 2,4 which is awesome for blowing up walk back especially thanks to the Krushing blow that it triggers. I have even been using 2,1,2 for similar purposes, staggers etc. It's the best way to utilize her staff normal safely and I was testing this against Baraka who as everyone knows has really solid advancing buttons in his own right and was contesting him well enough.

Forward 4 going over low pokes is really awesome especially since it is safe on block, I use this normal a lot and use it to set up throw scenarios as well.

Against characters you can't zone I just stay up close/mid screen because with her down 4 and Back 3 she can reasonably hold people in check and her throw game is good since she has a lot of safe staggers.

Basically while I think back 1,2 isn't terrible, I only really advise using it if you have spaced the opponent out well or to catch them slipping/whiffing. Same thing goes for back 2 honestly. Not bad normals, but best utilized for the footsie game, not as block string type of attacks at least not in her zoning variation. There's more latitude for this stuff with pole vault in her other variations.

Forward 2,1 isn't anything to write home about, but conditioning can really help get the ball rolling on this.

Forward 3,4,3 and Back 3,4,3,4 go without saying honestly.

I think most of her tools are functional, they're just a bit more specific scenario based as opposed to her having any particular (this button does everything) like characters in previous titles. I really like her and her synergy with other characters.

ShadyHeart

Relationship with Sonya ended
B3434 is a wonderful string. A lot of people also get hit by the last kick thinking it's F343 lmao. I foresee B3434 being integral to her game simply because it's a quick, plus on block string that starts with a mid, has decent range, and hit confirms into specials. The opponent gets knocked back into staff range if they block it so you can check them with B1 pole vault and go for other shit when they are conditioned.

Flawless block may really ruin it though...

mercureXI

Punching bag that throws fans !
Any of you tried this in match ?

Antiair : 2 into ex upglaive, b2, nitro ? 229 damage (more with ex nitro kick obviously)

Ive had a lot of people punished hard for jumping on Jade. That helps a ton considering her low punish output.

Also : b343 into ex glaive (on hit) lets you in range for a throw and they cant mash out.

Last edited:

ShadyHeart

Relationship with Sonya ended
Can anyone explain to me how I'm constantly getting grabbed out of the startup of uppercuts? Is it not immune to throws?

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
Any of you tried this in match ?

Antiair : 2 into ex upglaive, b2, nitro ? 229 damage (more with ex nitro kick obviously)

Ive had a lot of people punished hard for jumping on Jade. That helps a ton considering her low punish output.

Also : b343 into ex glaive (on hit) lets you in range for a throw and they cant mash out.
That sounds great. What is your AA button in this case, a standing 2? I've just been uppercutting since it's so easy with Jade, but anything that juices the damage is good to me.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Can anyone explain to me how I'm constantly getting grabbed out of the startup of uppercuts? Is it not immune to throws?
Some characters have insane Kommand Grabs such as Kollektor.
But normal throws become active fairly earlier than some moves so getting grabbed out of a rising or lowering state of your hitbox is perfectly normal. Like you can't D1 a throw from standing, for example.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
This is actually part of a design choice introduced in MKX. In order to strengthen throws and ensure they're prominent, crouch normals will extend the throw hurtbox upward during startup. This includes uppercuts.

mercureXI

Punching bag that throws fans !
That sounds great. What is your AA button in this case, a standing 2? I've just been uppercutting since it's so easy with Jade, but anything that juices the damage is good to me.
Yes Ive been using 2 as an antiair after a short training session. I thought 4 would work fine, but it loses way too often and its startup makes it harder to use on reaction.

2 is fast and has a very good upward hitbox it seems. Been working fine in match, though I still d2 when jumpins are from far away (reflex).

MK9

Noob
I’m almost ready to dump her, the more the games gets played she is exposed.

Her wake ups blow, even if it connects I get countered after.

All her pokes are to slow, she gets jailed by quick d1 into throws, you can’t do anything.

I like using 124 cause it leaves them at a range where you can use f31, but if u they tech roll you eat a combo.

The more I play her the more she sux. She has to many weak point to play characters like kang, Jax, scorpion, etc

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium

All her pokes are to slow, she gets jailed by quick d1 into throws, you can’t do anything.

I like using 124 cause it leaves them at a range where you can use f31, but if u they tech roll you eat a combo.

The more I play her the more she sux. She has to many weak point to play characters like kang, Jax, scorpion, etc
She has a parry for a reason. Use it to condition people NOT to spam low pokes into grabs. It's also very good at making people not participate in low poke wars after you've landed a poke of your own.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!

It's a known issue that her wakeups are bad right now, yes. Especially her launcher.
But if you get countered doing something, there are multiple things you can and should look out for in your gameplan.
Typically if you are using something which gets constantly and effectively countered, you're likely being predictable. So examine the situation you are in and look for alternate ways. If someone's trying to meaty you, for example, you can stay grounded and get up blocking. Wakeup mashing is one of the most prominent reasons people get blown up in mk games.
If people are mashing buttons on you after you hit them with a wakeup, use b323xxbf2 to blow them up because they are likely trying to abare you.

If you lose a poke war, examine the footsies of your opponent.
D1 Tick Throws are the result of you being outplayed, nobody can just TT you out of the blue repeatedly if you are cautious.

Again being predictable. Try to do 12-DB3 and then throw them if they roll.

She's definitely not the strongest and you might have more fun playing Sonya or Cassie.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
For those playing V2 Jade, how's Cetrion? I have a local one, and it's pretty tough catching her, even with glow. She might be hard for V1.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
For those playing V2 Jade, how's Cetrion? I have a local one, and it's pretty tough catching her, even with glow. She might be hard for V1.
Cetrion is an odd matchup because you really want to stay close and keep her still (preferably the corner) as opposed to staying in Jade's usual poke range. I've found the Cetrion matchup is entirely defensive conditioning until you can make her afraid of using boulder, ground slam, flame laser, or geyser. You also can't just throw out random Glows because she'll vine grab you for free, but vine grab is also VERY unsafe on block (free Nitro Kick if you're about half screen or less). You have to get into her head with Glowing through her long range options while also baiting vine grasps, all the while slowly getting up to her. Once in midrange, you have to be mindful of her jumping kick as it goes straight sideways and beats you in 90% of air-to-air situations so jumping in is generally out of the question. She also has her advancing mid combo string that's mid, low, OH which she can special cancel or stagger with. Jade's usual suspects of B1, B2, and F2 are good checks to keep her worried about pressing buttons until you're right up close. Once there, her life bar is free real estate.

EDIT: If using Edenian Protector variation, Air Glaive is your BEST friend against her. Depending on where you are, the only thing she can do about it is get a perfect read and jump kick you. Air boulder is too slow and flame laser won't hit unless enhanced (and even then only at specific distances). Air Glaive beats ground boulder, geyser, vine grasp, ground slam, or any advancing strings she has.

Last edited:

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134

Try other characters if nothing else for comparison’s sake. It’s a win win. Either you get insight into what strengths she actually had over them, or you realize she was garbage and are now equiped with a better character.

I love Jade. She’s a litmus test to weed out low skill players. I just say “Jade is bad” and everyone who loses to her chimes in to disagree. It’s even better if you ask them to explain or provide frame data. They just say shit like “she’s the best zoner in the game.”
X’D

Geoffmeister

PS4/EU Ermac main
Try other characters if nothing else for comparison’s sake. It’s a win win. Either you get insight into what strengths she actually had over them, or you realize she was garbage and are now equiped with a better character.

I love Jade. She’s a litmus test to weed out low skill players. I just say “Jade is bad” and everyone who loses to her chimes in to disagree. It’s even better if you ask them to explain or provide frame data. They just say shit like “she’s the best zoner in the game.”
X’D
Yeah about this... What the hell is Jade going to do lmao?
My points still stand... she may get plus off a situation she has to work for, to get something that doesn't pay off for her unless granted respect to use her b323.. which lo and behold, is another High Rish/Low Reward situation .... besides that her fastest projectile comes out at 20 frames.. She is not a zoner by any means, especially with so many teleports or Glow-beating moves... GLOW HAS 44fr RECOVERY TOO ... The list just goes on.

Was really hoping this'd be the level you'd have to play MK11, but yeah.. It ain't. She has no chance against gapless strings with 2 or more mixups, footsie tools with built-in mixups or ... pretty much any other superior tool to hers.

LowTierJade Forever

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Air glaive for days, glow when she's in recovery frames, force her to start using unsafe shit and 124 KB is guaranteed. She's even less safe than Jade.