What's new

Match Footage 'It's Part of My Charm' Nightwing Video Thread v1.06

gpmoney

CORN | gpmoney. Saltier than a bag of chips.
@TheBoyBlunder ok well up first is your spacing and footsies. You kept good distance on spacing and normals but you didnt play footsies. I noticed you both do either d1,b2 or d12, b2. this is fine but you are doing it waaaaaay to fast. After your opponent blocks d1, or d12 you have a multitude of footsies. I recommend walking back and waiting, once your opponent see's that you are backing up they most likely going to counter poke or dash. This is when you do B2 to punish their whiffed button. By doing this you will scare the opponent not to counter poke. Once they are afraid to counter poke this means you get some free pressure. Im gonna type more Im just pin pointing stuff in the vid

gpmoney

@TheBoyBlunder you already know d1 is +3 and d12 is +8. also d1 leaves you closer to the opponent than d12. After you scare the opponent into respecting your d1 or d12 you can now do f213 after to get spark cancel set ups. I noticed you both respect each other waaay too much, remember f213 is 0 on block, ground spark is 32 frame start up. This means you can easily be poked and punished for doing a spark cancels and is also the reason players do flip kick.

Another lil footsie trap I like to abuse, is hitting a string on block then canceling into Ground spark, if the opponent blocks low then I use that to my advantage. Once I have another chance I do another string but MB the spark so it +11 on block and do b2. it jails the fuck out out of them lol.

uhh You have the spark cancels down which is good but you have to apply them differently depending on the opponent. If you use the footsies and whiff punishing your enemy then you will scare them into not pressing buttons and you get free spark cross ups.

These are just basic footsie examples. Hopefully this helps you as far as footsies go with NW. I see too many NW players getting so caught up in trying to make a hit confirm happen by using it over and over and over after its being blocked and punished. I can tell you 2 know each other by how you respected each other but you gotta get mean and dirty in these games lol.

gpmoney

@TheBoyBlunder
not sure if you needed help fighting against staff or using it in the corner so ill just share What i know

Fighting against staff is really easy. you just need 1 bar. land a MB ground spark or ground pound then switch stances and repeat.

example in ES do jump wing ding then MB ground spark after you hit the ground and switch to staff then do GB then stwitch back do GS then switch and keep adding MB here and there
if NW is in staff he is forced to block all this cause he cant jump high enough to dodge GS or GP. to get out he has to wake up but since you push him back everytime you land a projectile you can easily keep him out. the NW who goes to staff in a mirror will lose lol.

now if you get cornered just push block and wing ding and get out lol. Wing dings have multiple hits so NW cant wake up.

If you are playing staff and you corner some one you should always abuse MB staff spin or normal
you know its -5 on block so there is no punish but you cant press a button, best thing to do is back dash and whiff punish or wait and block.

if you use MB staff spin in the corner you have lots of options. I either do nj2, standing 2, another staff spin, standing 1 gP, 1f1, you know nw gimicks lol

staff is pretty brain dead. try to mix up 1f1 with 1f2, staff spin, and dd1d1d1d11dd111d11d1d1dd1d1d1d1d1ddd1d111d1d1d1d1d1d
lol

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
@TheBoyBlunder
not sure if you needed help fighting against staff or using it in the corner so ill just share What i know

Fighting against staff is really easy. you just need 1 bar. land a MB ground spark or ground pound then switch stances and repeat.

example in ES do jump wing ding then MB ground spark after you hit the ground and switch to staff then do GB then stwitch back do GS then switch and keep adding MB here and there
if NW is in staff he is forced to block all this cause he cant jump high enough to dodge GS or GP. to get out he has to wake up but since you push him back everytime you land a projectile you can easily keep him out. the NW who goes to staff in a mirror will lose lol.

now if you get cornered just push block and wing ding and get out lol. Wing dings have multiple hits so NW cant wake up.

If you are playing staff and you corner some one you should always abuse MB staff spin or normal
you know its -5 on block so there is no punish but you cant press a button, best thing to do is back dash and whiff punish or wait and block.

if you use MB staff spin in the corner you have lots of options. I either do nj2, standing 2, another staff spin, standing 1 gP, 1f1, you know nw gimicks lol

staff is pretty brain dead. try to mix up 1f1 with 1f2, staff spin, and dd1d1d1d11dd111d11d1d1dd1d1d1d1d1ddd1d111d1d1d1d1d1d
lol
Yea, I noticed staff doesn't have most of the advantages you want to have in that mirror, been watching Sajam's xboxlive matches when he mirrors a NW.

Man, thanks for all the information, I'm going to come back to this and go to practice mode to have the CPU on record and go over the footsies and set ups you mention in the previous post.

Thank you brother.

gpmoney

Yea, I noticed staff doesn't have most of the advantages you want to have in that mirror, been watching Sajam's xboxlive matches when he mirrors a NW.

Man, thanks for all the information, I'm going to come back to this and go to practice mode to have the CPU on record and go over the footsies and set ups you mention in the previous post.

Thank you brother.
no prob, I never got to this cause my job has me occupied lol. Also remember NW has good dashes. its risky but if you have the read you can wake up back dash.

Oh remember in staff GP is NOT guaranteed after 1f1 lol you can full combo punish. 1f1 staff spin is though.

while in training mode make sure to notice staff spins chip. staf spin dose %6.50 chip on block I think and mb adds %2.36. after 3 staff spins you get 1 bar, so you get free chip and free bar

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
no prob, I never got to this cause my job has me occupied lol. Also remember NW has good dashes. its risky but if you have the read you can wake up back dash.

Oh remember in staff GP is NOT guaranteed after 1f1 lol you can full combo punish. 1f1 staff spin is though.

while in training mode make sure to notice staff spins chip. staf spin dose %6.50 chip on block I think and mb adds %2.36. after 3 staff spins you get 1 bar, so you get free chip and free bar
I try to go for a 1F1 Ground Pound MB punish, the deal is my controller is broke; I have to press square twice for one square input; the input will look like 11 > 11 > F11 > Ground Pound. Online, it's not even guaranteed lol. I'm getting a new controller in a week tho =D

That's definitely one of my favorite go to moves while in staff(Jump has such an insane reach, like you mention against BA's Divekick and just generally measurement an opponent like the jab punch in professional/amatuer boxing) and cancel the ender into escrima (well depending what side of the map im on on).

gpmoney

I try to go for a 1F1 Ground Pound MB punish, the deal is my controller is broke; I have to press square twice for one square input; the input will look like 11 > 11 > F11 > Ground Pound. Online, it's not even guaranteed lol. I'm getting a new controller in a week tho =D

That's definitely one of my favorite go to moves while in staff(Jump has such an insane reach, like you mention against BA's Divekick and just generally measurement an opponent like the jab punch in professional/amatuer boxing) and cancel the ender into escrima (well depending what side of the map im on on).
I always do 1f1 staff spin on block I love that free meter and free chip lol

gpmoney

www.twitch.tv/addmitt/profile

this weekend was our MI ranbat. Witness the return of @XxM3LLOxX vs CORN| JDM and C88 Compbros vs Mello.

really good NW vs superman and NW vs Lantern matches

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
MMH/NW footage from yesterday.

Might help with the MU a bit: http://www.twitch.tv/egpwonderchef/b/501141568?t=162m1s
B2 Flipkick so damn good.

In the 2nd match when you had MMH in the corner and did 2 Flip Kick to get yourself out of the corner; you did F213 and for a second I thought you stuffed his wake up; I didn't know what he was trying to do but it did open my eyes. Look like he wasn't ready at all for that.

Great footage, is it safe to say NW can handle MMH from full screen in staff? MMH I guess would have to teleport to NW since ground pound is +. I don't know MMH zoning properties and data just because I haven't bought him lol.

Feels good to see NW actually hold his own against a top tier character.

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
B2 Flipkick so damn good.

In the 2nd match when you had MMH in the corner and did 2 Flip Kick to get yourself out of the corner; you did F213 and for a second I thought you stuffed his wake up; I didn't know what he was trying to do but it did open my eyes. Look like he wasn't ready at all for that.

Great footage, is it safe to say NW can handle MMH from full screen in staff? MMH I guess would have to teleport to NW since ground pound is +. I don't know MMH zoning properties and data just because I haven't bought him lol.

Feels good to see NW actually hold his own against a top tier character.
Yeah in staff you basically force MMH to teleport. He can't really zone staff NW. His tools are too slow and not really that threatening.

Edit: Also, you can stuff teleport super easy with f213 on the ground, or really any string you hit. Push obviously can't be stuffed but most MMH players will start using teleport if you try to stuff push with mb f3. Also, crossup f3 is gdlk against MMH in the corner because it messes up push as you saw. It's very easy to whiff punish push. @TheBoyBlunder

Last edited:

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
Good stuff @Sajam.
Since when are you using U3 in the corner? I thought you didn't like using U3?
Only in specific situations.

I like u3 in the corner as a setup, but I don't like giving up the corner. So if my opponent can't block it I'll use it. Also, u3 can avoid certain wakeups, so against characters who have wakeups that lose to u3 I use it. It's not a terrible options but I like keeping the corner usually. Oh, and if characters can't be crossed up by flip kick I use u3 more in the corner too.

AssassiN

Noob
Only in specific situations.

I like u3 in the corner as a setup, but I don't like giving up the corner. So if my opponent can't block it I'll use it. Also, u3 can avoid certain wakeups, so against characters who have wakeups that lose to u3 I use it. It's not a terrible options but I like keeping the corner usually. Oh, and if characters can't be crossed up by flip kick I use u3 more in the corner too.
I can understand that, I pretty much only use it to counter wake-ups.
Sometimes if I wanna mix them up without using meter and still having enough advantage on block.

I might post some tech about scatter bombs soon, but it feels gimmicky.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Against MMH I like the full screen staff zoning game. I rarely stay in escrima just because if they are blocking the crossup flip kicks, you dont have much else to take damage.

In staff MMH has to go to the air due to how slow his zoning is. staff beats all his options unless he can set up orbs right. His teleport from the ground gets stuffed all day too. He has to teleport from the air when he sees you move to whiff punish. This is why lame NW does ok in the MU imo. Good set Sajam...Teach that man how to block flip kick though lol.

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
Against MMH I like the full screen staff zoning game. I rarely stay in escrima just because if they are blocking the crossup flip kicks, you dont have much else to take damage.

In staff MMH has to go to the air due to how slow his zoning is. staff beats all his options unless he can set up orbs right. His teleport from the ground gets stuffed all day too. He has to teleport from the air when he sees you move to whiff punish. This is why lame NW does ok in the MU imo. Good set Sajam...Teach that man how to block flip kick though lol.
I waited the whole time for a flip kick to be blocked. I guess that's my fault for using those cheap NW infinites.

gpmoney

added 2 vids.
We got CORN JDM vs CORN WulfgangMello (Lex,GL vs Nw)
and C88compbros vs CORN WulfgangMello (Supermang vs Night wang)

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
http://www.twitch.tv/catnip_her0/b/503069932

57:00 for NW vs MMH; really my first time getting into the match. Gotta hit up JT for a set; very uncomfortable but I think it's a MU I can get used to if I can anti air and work more rushdown.
You had the right approach to the MU for sure.

Your best tool to deal with air dashes and his jump in general is j2 in staff. It's good at swatting MMH out of his jump height and is easy to convert into damage. Also, I noticed you liked to do 1f1 and then go for a jump in or another mixup after instead of ground blast. I like the idea, but he was getting hit by 1f1 occasionally, so I would check if your opponent understands how to block it before switching it up. I can tell that online those air dashes were pretty much unblockable lol, that's a struggle.

I might hook up my PS3 soon so I can play with some of the NW players on there with MMH/NW. If I do I'll let you know.

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
So I just played about an hour set with @gpmoney

We played NW/MMh and NW mirrors for a handful of games, and I did live commentary through the whole thing. I'll start uploading it probably tonight or tomorrow and post it here as it comes up.

gpmoney

I truly dI'd not know this match up was this bad lol. Ggs. I tried to use theory concepts to what I could get away with.

AK Gookus

Slant-eyed Nightwing
Dunno if Steve was waiting for part two be uploaded first but...I'm a footage whore. Good stuff gpmoney!