What's new

Is the DC Film Universe getting a bad rep?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Completely agree with critics. I'm a big DC fan but MoS and BvS were total failure, like... saying Martha to end conflict? Are you kidding me? Should we just forget what an epic phrase Batman said when he beat Superman in the comic book?

I had a lot of hope for Suicide Squad but this was a failure also (imo). Not to say most of the jokes were spoiled in the trailer, other unspoiled ones were too childish and I couldn't even crack a smile most of a time. The plot is somewhat 4/10, no plot twists, nothing to hold you hooked up for what's coming up next, nothing. The only thing I liked was Leto's Joker. But a small downside is - he's in mad love with Harley.

The only thing can save DC movie universe - Ben Affleck's solo movie which he will be directing.
I gave SS 4/10 as well, seems like a consistent number.

WarlordRenegade

Founder of Team Renegade
Man of steel - 8/10 loved it
BvS - 7/10 really enjoyed it
Suicide squad - need to see this!

Anyone who hates the movies too bad for them.

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
As a fan of DC and Marvel, I can say that when it comes to movies Marvel is awesome and DC is terrible. I hated man of steel and since I heard BvS had all the same problems and more I didn't even waste my money on it. I plan to see suicide squad because I still enjoy a shlocky movie, although I'm sure it also won't be that great.

Marvel makes quality movies, the only bad one is Iron Man 2, people who say Iron Man 3 or Age of Ultron are worse than DC movies are f*cking liars.

I don't get the love for the DC movies honestly, the storytelling is trash and the characterization is poor when it's not straight up butchering the source material. Why are the fans okay with that? Why don't they want better?

BlackJackSnack

Bags of mostly water
None of the recent DC movies have been great. I really enjoy the movies for the most part and I'm not a heavy comic guy. Besides the dark Knight trilogy and watchmen, the DC movies of the 2000s have not been very good.

As a fan of DC and Marvel, I can say that when it comes to movies Marvel is awesome and DC is terrible. I hated man of steel and since I heard BvS had all the same problems and more I didn't even waste my money on it. I plan to see suicide squad because I still enjoy a shlocky movie, although I'm sure it also won't be that great.

Marvel makes quality movies, the only bad one is Iron Man 2, people who say Iron Man 3 or Age of Ultron are worse than DC movies are f*cking liars.

I don't get the love for the DC movies honestly, the storytelling is trash and the characterization is poor when it's not straight up butchering the source material. Why are the fans okay with that? Why don't they want better?
The Dark Knight was quite possibly the best superhero movie ever, and for me a contender for top movie in the 21st century. Don't tell me that DC makes terrible movies, please.

Butchering source material huh? Lol, as if Marvel pays better attention to their original storylines. This shouldn't even really be a criteria for not liking their content imo, I shouldn't be watching the same shit I could be reading in a great comic book.

Anyway, as of recently I can agree with you that Marvel is doing better than DC. But to me a lot of marvel movies are distasteful; the themes are too light and happy (daresay cheesy), feels like it's catered to a younger audience.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
The Dark Knight was quite possibly the best superhero movie ever, and for me a contender for top movie in the 21st century. Don't tell me that DC makes terrible movies, please.

Butchering source material huh? Lol, as if Marvel pays better attention to their original storylines. This shouldn't even really be a criteria for not liking their content imo, I shouldn't be watching the same shit I could be reading in a great comic book.

Anyway, as of recently I can agree with you that Marvel is doing better than DC. But to me a lot of marvel movies are distasteful; the themes are too light and happy (daresay cheesy), feels like it's catered to a younger audience.
Marvel cant always use the same storylines as the comics anyways due to movie right ownership, They do own all the comic characters but the movies are divided between Fox, Sony, Universal and Marvel, they were lucky enough to get permission to use Hulk (universal) in Avengers, Spider-man (Sony) had to be borrowed on agreement for Civil War because Sony has been throwing Spider-mans movie credibility in the toilet the last few years so they gave it a chance.

I also heard recently that Marvel and Fox may be working on a similar agreement. Plus even if you do get the rights to use all the characters, If they actually had all the characters in some of the comic storylines in the movies, some characters almost wouldnt be worth searching for a decent casting or be a nightmare to coordinate.

Polar

Noob
DC tries hard to be dark and dramatic but fails, thats what i hate. They cut so much stuff out from cinema versions, for example SS, there were no scenes where harley offers drinks, or joker mad laughter with half of his face burned throwing grenade, like srsly. Not that it adds drama or anything, just annoys me, why do you cut it? Meh.

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
DC tries hard to be dark and dramatic but fails, thats what i hate. They cut so much stuff out from cinema versions, for example SS, there were no scenes where harley offers drinks, or joker mad laughter with half of his face burned throwing grenade, like srsly. Not that it adds drama or anything, just annoys me, why do you cut it? Meh.
Did we watch two different movies? She did offer drinks...

Spoobs

Noob
My big thing with hating Suicide Squad is I think Jared Leto is overrated and I hate they made him (Joker) in love with Harley. It ruins her character. Joker and Harley isn't a romantic relationship. It is extremely emotionally abusive. I also am not into Harley being this way too overly sexual character. It just doesn't make sense to her character from the animated series, which needed no changes. It was so good. I do want people who liked these movies to continue, though. I'm not one of those bullies who thinks since it's not true to the comics you can't enjoy it.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
One cringe-worthy thing about Suicide Squad though was how they kept trying to tell us that they were the bad guys. It's like they were trying to convince themselves as well as us. Bad guys don't go around constantly reiterating the fact that they're bad guys.
That's part of the storytelling though. They were/are bad guys, murderers, psychopaths, etc forced to do good against their will and begin believing in what they're doing. They repeat to themselves and each other that they are the bad guys to try and remind themselves who they are and convince themselves that they aren't turning good.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Okay so I saw SS. It's stupid, but it's fun. I like it better/as much as any of the Marvel releases besides maybe Guardians of the Galaxy, I think

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
posted from my FB

Suicide Squad is an easy 4 out of 5. This isn't the sort of comic book movie you're probably expecting. It's better. I thought coming into the movie I would be highly disappointed because I saw so many trailers, read so many reviews I basically spoiled the film for myself, but the film still delivered. I was entertained throughout the entire movie. There wasn't really a dull scene, it was a fast paced movie and it NEEDED to be that because we are focusing a lot of central characters along with guest appearances.
Jared Leto as Joker 3/5 - a simple gangster who was in love with HQ...very un-Joker like, I give Leto respect however for trying to create his own version of the Joker. He might as well played as another character because it lacked a lot of Joker's qualities.
Will Smith as Deadshot 4/5 - Smith was excellent as always
Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn 3.5/5 - I did feel like she tried too hard at moments but overall she nailed a lot of scenes....she didn't bother me much and was enjoyable throughout the film. Her fight scenes were great
Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje as Killer Croc - 5/5 He had just the best lines. I just fell in love with him.
Jai Courtney as Captain Boomerang - 4/5 hilarious and nailed the role. Stuffed unicorn ftw.
Jay Hernandez as El Diablo 5/5 - Jay is one of my favorite actors. He brought El Diablo to life. My favorite character in the entire movie. He needs his own comic.
Cara Delevingne 3/5 - She was iight
Amanda Waller 5/5
Rick Flag 3/5

zabugi

The only Real Master
Zack Snyder has some cool ass action sequences (faora kicking ass etc etc) but as for anything else.....meh

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I haven't watched Suicide Squad yet so none on that account, but I can tell you this.

I was unable to watch Batman vs Superman. Just couldn't. I found myself fidgeting, bored. And here is why.
- Flat narratives. The first forty five minutes of the movie were a sluggish account of trying to build environment, and failing at it. I haven't seen the screenplay but as a media expert I can tell you that they were TRYING. Just not managing - to create an elaborate background for the battle between the two iconics.
- Directing. A lot of the time it felt like the director wasn't sure how to tell the story. Again, haven't seen the screenplay, but I could swear it was the way it was written. Some things work on a screen, other things do not. I felt that this heavily impacted the way the scenes were laid out and it was just plain unmemorable.
- Acting. This is a matter of personal preference really but I feel that Affleck should go back to RomCom and forget being an action hero. He can't serious. The guy who played Superman... he's got receding hairline, a rather ominous glare and just overall not somebody I can associate the Superman character with. Shave him bald, he'd be a great Luthor. Everybody else. For God's sake. Pick your actors better. I mean Lawrence Fishburne was the best thing to happen to the movie but damn. Perry WHITE anyone? I'm sich of black people getting token'd into white character roles just to hit the PC note. Fuck that. Write actual black people into these movies, people who matter.

Compare it to any Marvel movie, and you'll see why many of us hardcore DC fans think that the newer cartoons are far better than any of these movies.

DarkSlayerSmith

Fundamentals in real life
I liked BvS and MoS too. But some things could definitely be better. My biggest and probably what's happening is DC (and/or WB) is trying to play catch up to the MCU. So things are being rushed, and they're trying to follow a trend. Which I think is evident from the announcement of Suicide Squad to the reshoots and more recent trailers. Some people got a "DC Guardians of the Galaxy" vibe from it and that's what I feel too. (I haven't seen the movie yet) With Nolan Batman doing so well the execs being the execs are trying to make everything dark and broody when it doesn't need to be. Things are being rushed without actual consideration for makes any of the individual series popular nor the growing popularity of these superhero films. We're getting a JL movie before GL, Flash, Cyborg and AM. The whole point of the team up is to big the climax of a crescendo created by the the character and plot development that happens by giving the characters their own spotlight and time to shine. We aren't getting that here. Imagine Civil War was Iron Man 2, who would care that Tony and Steve are fighting? Who would care about Black Widow and Hawkeye? Imagine if DC comics published a JL series while only having a Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman run. I really hope the people in charge don't fuck up but I can't be too sure about that.

TL;DR: DC is playing catch up instead of developing heir own universe first. The whole process is being rushed and trends are being followed. DC is trying to get their own MCU hype going without following the necessary steps. The creation process is probably a mess.
I actually agree with U.
DC is rushing things....rather than create an elaborated plot where they join pieces of events of one character to another,bringing them together after all basics misteries are cleared.