What's new

Is the DC Film Universe getting a bad rep?

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
I ask because I've seen Man Of Steel, Batman V Superman, and Suicide Squad, but I love them all. I don't understand the public hate for all 3 movies. My personal theory is that Marvel/Disney is paying industry critics off (IGN) to slander DC films. Probably 100% false lol, but that's what it seem like to me. Let me state when Injustice came out I became I fan of comic books. I didn't read them as a child. I read books, but now as an adult I don't read books. Just comics. Anyway I respect the opinion on so many of you here on TYM so I'm just looking for someone that can help understand why these movies are universally panned and hated by critics. I'll began my argument with civil war. Having read the entire crossover the movie was so different from the source material. It was filled with characters. The plot is about two superheroes at odds with each other. It gets rave reviews. "The Best Comic book movie ever!" When BVS which has a similar plot is trash lol. I don't get it.

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
Bvs was poop lol. Lots of things went unexplained in the theatre version.
Ex: how did lex know who batman and supes were? Cause hes lex? Why did zods blood mix with lex make dd and not another zod clone or superman clone? Them being friends cause MARTHA. Is silly af lol. Man of steel was ok to me. I didnt like how superman just shredded the whole town lol. Oh well. Suicide squad i liked alot more than the other 2. Some parts i didnt like/unsure but that's just a movie preference thing

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
I can't explain why, but I think both MoS and BvsS were terrible movies. Long, boring, with a bad script and bland acting. Trying too hard to be dark and serious. In the end they were not entretaining for me. I haven't seen Suicide Squad, but I don't expect much from it, neither from the WW and JL movies form what I saw in the trailers.

It could be that Superman is a boring character who is super hard to write good stuff for, and maybe the next movies that won't have so much focus on him will be better, but probably that is just me, and perhaps other people who don't like Superman, and wouldn't impact on most people.

I will say that I do like the first Avengers movie, and Civil War, with all the problems they have as they are far from perfect, the same way I like The Dark Night and TDKR. But I also think the rest Marvel movies are in the range of pretty bad to just awful.

In the end I feel that right now, when it comes to movies and series, Marvel usually has a higher standard.

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
How many movies this year had the main villain trying to open up some sort of portal? TMNT 2, Ghostbusters and now SS. Can they come up with something original for once?
100% Agree. They've been using the sky portal since Avengers in 2012. It's 2016. Find something new lol.

I feel they killed any superman fans with BvsS, I mean they totally catered to batman fans only in that movie, at least for me that's the reason I didn't like the movie.

MOS-Definitely solid, pretty fun to watch I give it 7.5/10
Haven't seen Suicide squad but it's probably a 9 or 8 outta 10
BvS-4 or 5 outta 10 dear god.

E

Eldriken

I wouldn't consider enjoying any of the DC movies as having low standards. You just like what you like. I know some people act like you're not allowed to do that, but I assure you it's okay. lol

Enjoy whatever you like and fuck the naysayers.

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
Having watched BvS I would give it a 5 at best. Even knowing most of my DC stuff prior to watch still had parts unexplained. Like how the hell did the Flash just show up in front of the bat computer to Batman telling him Lois is important to the plot and stuff (though I'd consider it an injustice reference). Some stuff simply confused people I think. It's not a bad movie. Just one that fell below expectations

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
I wouldn't consider enjoying any of the DC movies as having low standards. You just like what you like. I know some people act like you're not allowed to do that, but I assure you it's okay. lol

Enjoy whatever you like and fuck the naysayers.
This. This is completely true. A great example for me is Star Wars, which is plagued with bad acting and terrible writing in all 7 movies, but I love and enjoy them.

In the end what is good and what is bad are subjective things, that's it. You dont have to be explaining yourself to anyone

Yoaks

A spaceman
MoS for me was pretty good. BvS I also enjoyed but I see why people disliked it. As for Suicide Squad... it could've been alot better.

The plot and pacing was pretty loose and felt rushed. But the cast was pretty good and is the movies saving grace. Robbie as Harley and Davis as Waller were perfect! Will Smith was Will Smith but thats fine by me cause Deadshot doesnt really have any type of mannerisms or quirks like Harley or Joker.

Katanna is cool but she seemed like she did almost nothing. Enchantess was meh. El Diablo is da real MVP. I wish Boomerang had a little bit more of a role but was good for the most part. And Common waaas... wait why was Common in this movie? lol

dwz_mk9

I could do this all day...
Well, I'm a marvel fan first but I do love comic book movies in general. I loved MOS. I think it is the best superman movie to date (despite some problems in the movie). But it was pretty obvious with BVS that they're desperately trying to catch up with Marvel by cramming things in it. They're trying to set up for a bunch of future movies, but they forget to actually make a good movie... lol.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I liked BvS and MoS too. But some things could definitely be better. My biggest and probably what's happening is DC (and/or WB) is trying to play catch up to the MCU. So things are being rushed, and they're trying to follow a trend. Which I think is evident from the announcement of Suicide Squad to the reshoots and more recent trailers. Some people got a "DC Guardians of the Galaxy" vibe from it and that's what I feel too. (I haven't seen the movie yet) With Nolan Batman doing so well the execs being the execs are trying to make everything dark and broody when it doesn't need to be. Things are being rushed without actual consideration for makes any of the individual series popular nor the growing popularity of these superhero films. We're getting a JL movie before GL, Flash, Cyborg and AM. The whole point of the team up is to big the climax of a crescendo created by the the character and plot development that happens by giving the characters their own spotlight and time to shine. We aren't getting that here. Imagine Civil War was Iron Man 2, who would care that Tony and Steve are fighting? Who would care about Black Widow and Hawkeye? Imagine if DC comics published a JL series while only having a Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman run. I really hope the people in charge don't fuck up but I can't be too sure about that.

TL;DR: DC is playing catch up instead of developing heir own universe first. The whole process is being rushed and trends are being followed. DC is trying to get their own MCU hype going without following the necessary steps. The creation process is probably a mess.

E

Eldriken

Gtfo with this "mahvel bribes the critics" bullshit from TYM place. Thank you.
He said it's probably 100% false and that it just SEEMS like that to him. It doesn't mean he fully believes it, if he even truly believes it at all.

You don't want that kind of "bullshit" here, but yet you find your response to be any less of said "bullshit"? You added absolutely nothing positive to the thread at all with that kind of response.

Skedar70

Noob
Cause they aren't good. The super heroes don't look cool enough compared to the marvel movies. For example, Most people are going to agree that the Batman saving Martha scene was the best thing of that movie. Why? because it was a cool action scene were you can actually see why they are super heroes. Similar to the airport fight in civil war. DC movies try to much on the plot side not in the action which makes them long and boring since the plots aren't that good either, and when they finally get to the action its Meh.