What's new

Is the DC Film Universe getting a bad rep?

I'd say it's more telling about your lack of insight on the history of how minorities are treated in American media.

It's pretty fucking whacky when you have Deadshot and Waller written completely normally then have Killer Croc in the film the way he is.
I'm impressed......very impressed actually. However, he wasn't ignorant, a deadbeat womanizer with illegitimate children. He also wasn't strung up on drugs or anything.

I'd say it's more telling about your lack of insight on the history of how minorities are treated in American media.

It's pretty fucking whacky when you have Deadshot and Waller written completely normally then have Killer Croc in the film the way he is.

Honestly Diablo may have been even more aggressively stereotypical but at least that's how is actually is in the comics.

Still though, fucking BET?
NEWS FLASH: Black people watch BET. I know this might be a shocker to you, but it stands for Black entertainment television.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
Recently watched MoS and BvS and I gotta say, overall, I liked MoS better it was more cohesive whereas BvS had some parts that I did enjoy and some that I totally didn't.

Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor did not work for me also bringing on Doomsday like they did was another clear no no.
jesse eisenberg as lex made the movie unredeemable for me, couldnt deal with it

was surprisingly impressed by the batfleck tho he was dope as fck

Ryu Hayabusa

Filthy Casual
BvS was way too long and filled with bullshit. Africa scene , nightmare sequence and whole bullet plot took way too much time which should have been used to develop Tension between batman and superman. Movie makes you wait more than 1.5 hour before any sort of relevant fight starts. Lois scenes during final fight were distracting.

Snyder filled the movie with garbage, it was long but not enough relevant content.
I m glad he doesn't have same power as before.

Last edited:

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader
Between MoS, BvS, and SS. BvS was definitely the weakest of the 3. I havent seen the dvd yet which I heard was much better than the theater release, but it doesnt deserve the amount of vitriol its been getting. I actually thought MoS was pretty good, and when I saw it with my dad, it was one of the very few movies we saw together that he didnt fall asleep on. Now fuck the critics on Suicide Squad though. The only complaints I have for the movie was how fast shit went down, And just way too much focus for Harley and Deadshot. (I understand why, but fuck man, I wanted more Katana on the big screen). The casting was great, and they kept the tone pretty light-hearted throughout the movie. Solid 8/10 for me, would watch it again, and hopefully a sequel

And R.i.p Slipknot. One love. Oh and most useless after credits scene

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
Nothing will ever beat Xmen 2 for me that intro with Nightcrawler, and Nightcrawler in general is still the best. BVS failed to make me care about any of the characters which is what Civil War did perfectly Cap, Tony, BP all had legitimate views and no one was clearly the villain. Meanwhile Superman whining all movie and Batman being a huge hypocrite was a real turn off. Don't even get me started on how garbage Lex was.

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
My only issue with Croc is that he was using southern slang, but I felt like he had a up north accent behind the growl. I'll admit when he said "Bruh" I did cringe a little. Being honest, but personally I hate that "Bruh" has become so mainstream that white People say it now lol. It just sounds too weird to me. Anyway he looked great and they portrayed correctly other than that. He really didn't talk a lot. And he don't think he's a stereotype. He's just a good dude that happens to look weird. Had he be given southern accent id be happy.

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
And I'm noticing that some of y'all are like else where on the web. Not really a fan of what's going on with DC, and love Marvel. That's cool. The discussion was needed.

Somea2V

Thread Referee
Just answering the OP: Yes and no. BvS was a problem child but both Man of Steel and Suicide Squad were good, fun movies. Both have room for improvement, but they are not deserving of the shit storms that are being poured down retroactively and currently, with respect.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
BvS just kind of threw Clark on the side. In the original cut, Clark had 43 lines of dialogue and Superman is in the title of this movie. It was helped a lot in the extended cut as far as Superman goes, but still, damn. People's enjoyment of BvS will vary depending on what they watch it for. If you are a massive Superman fan, you will be dissapointed, he was treated so disrespectfully in that movie. If you are a massive Batman fan, you will probably be happy because Batman was big, fast, mean, and is the closest we have to the comic or Arkham Batman, in terms of his abilities as opposed to the more real world Nolan Batman, this is a Batman who is worthy of standing toe to toe with gods, which is something we hadn't seen before on the big screen. If you are a huge Lex, or Doomsday fan, this movie will put you on suicide watch. If you're a Wonder Woman fan, you will like what you saw, but be left wanting a lot more from her.

I think if this movie was marketed as a Batman movie with Superman and everyone as a side character, it would have seemed less insulting to Superman fans imo. The tone felt more like a Batman movie, it's okay to have a depressed moody Batman because that's who he is. Nobody wants to see Superman act emo and hate life. Lois Lane was arguably a more major character than Clark/Superman.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
Personally i enjoyed Man of Steel. I saw it as a Clark Kent Movie and not a Superman movie. The complaint about the destruction is stupid IMO. Its a huge topic that comes up. When heroes save the world they will always do damage to the area. it cannot be helped sometimes. And it was one of his first fights as superman. He still had the inexperience.

Batman v Superman was trash. Batfleck did a great job as Batman/Bruce IMO but it wasn't enough to help save the movie. Plot was sketchy. Unanswered questions. Pointless scenes. And then they release the "Better" Version on Dvd. What?!. DC needs to do a better job at cutting certain parts of movies. There where parts where i almost feel asleep during the movie. The cameo's where cute during the movie but felt somewhat out of place and forced. The plot could of been great with batman being afraid if superman where to turn against society. This has been done before. But they way they did was not great. And the Martha thing. Cringe Worthy. WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME. Lol.

Excited to see Suicide Squad though.

I feel like the cameos should of been in different movies instead of putting them all in this movie

Aquaman in the WoWo Movie
Flash appearing in BM V SM is a nod to an event in the comics. They could of kept it if done slightly better
Cyborgs was actually fine and somewhat dark.

Lokheit

Noob
Why I didn't like the BvsS movie:

- The plot was atrocious: 80% of the movie trying to build up stupid reasons (like very STUPID) FOR Bats and Supes to hate each others' methods, and at one point you start to think that the reason they hate each other is because they want to win the killing spree race (so much for the Nolan Batman going through so much trouble because he didn't want to execute criminals, his new goal is to kill everyone in Gotham).

- Batman's detective skills are basically a google search. WOW!!!

- Lex Luthor apparently is an advocate of free software and information as he has all of his important stuff in some random archaic giant computer near a kitchen with no security on it and an USB entry so you can get whatever you want.

- Lex Luthor trying to look as crazy and funny as the Joker. And failing bad at it.

- The whole (short) fight that gives the movie its name is basically made so all of those guys that go to comic forums to say "Batman beats this and this and this other character because his plans beat everyone no matter if the guy can destroy planets" can enjoy themselves.

- After so much time planning to kill Superman, and trying to convince the audience all the stupid reasons they hate each other are legit, just when you're screaming "kill!! kill!! kil!!"... the Martha nonsense... like... what??? You hate this guy, you're resolved to KILL this guy because he's dangerous and now you're best friends forever and will help him with anything he wants because your mothers are named the same way?!?!?! WHAT?!?!

I can imagine that conversation, 2 writters in a coffee checking wikipedia because they know nothing about the guys they're writting about (I don't even give them enough credit to at least check comicvine instead of wikipedia) and suddenly one says: "WOWOWOWOW!!! LOOK AT THIS!!! Their mothers are both called Martha!!"" and the other guy "OMG OMG OMG!!!! WE TOTALLY NEED TO USE THIS!!! It will make us look soooooooooooo smart!! Like no one has thought about this before so it TOTALLY HAS to be the climax point of the film!!".

- CGI at night so it doesn't look so bad Doomsday looking like a teenage mutant ninja turtle hulked up.

- Apparently it's really easy to understand everything in a Kryptonian space ship in english. And yeah I know there was some deleted scene showing that big guy that supposedly allies with Lex but... no, just no, there is no way that you go there, the AI is totally cool with you and teaches you how to transform Zod into Doomsday. Probably some writer saw an Injustice player switching from one to the other at a tournament and thought it made sense.

- Stupid Louise Lane throwing the kryptonyte spear to some random hole because potato so later they could force Superman to go for it. Like... you have the only weapon that can defeat your boyfriend, and instead of trying to put it in a safe place or making sure it's destroyed. you throw it to the first hole you find so anyone could get it later...

- Lex Luthor getting his reknown bald look because he goes to prison... when they don't shave you anymore in prison...

- Aquaman struggling under water trying to grab a camera.

And I could add more stuff. I'm not even a DC fan and I went there just for some fun but even I was disgusted about the plot and the portrayal of the characters.

Too much time trying to convince the audience that a bad plot made sense, failing at accomplishing it and then being crappy at everything else.

The bad critics were completly deserved.

PS: I've only seen the last half of Man of Steel (I randomly caught it on TV) and it's full of wtf moments too, like when Zod wants to slowly kill 2 persons with his eye beams, to force Superman to make the decission to kill him or the beams will end up getting the poor innocent 2 persons........... when he just killed, about half a minute ago, like millions anyway... like... wow, such moral dilema, much drama, wow...

Last edited:

Polar

Noob
Completely agree with critics. I'm a big DC fan but MoS and BvS were total failure, like... saying Martha to end conflict? Are you kidding me? Should we just forget what an epic phrase Batman said when he beat Superman in the comic book?

I had a lot of hope for Suicide Squad but this was a failure also (imo). Not to say most of the jokes were spoiled in the trailer, other unspoiled ones were too childish and I couldn't even crack a smile most of a time. The plot is somewhat 4/10, no plot twists, nothing to hold you hooked up for what's coming up next, nothing. The only thing I liked was Leto's Joker. But a small downside is - he's in mad love with Harley.

The only thing can save DC movie universe - Ben Affleck's solo movie which he will be directing.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
NEWS FLASH: Black people watch BET. I know this might be a shocker to you, but it stands for Black entertainment television.
I don't think you really understand the point here and I don't think you're factoring in the context of it either.

They 1. Made a character who isn't black, black, and normally that isn't really that big of a deal, unless you 2. go out of your way to make this character as stereotypical as possible in the few scenes they have. Which is exactly what happened.

The thing about stereotypes is that some of them have a real origin, but it doesn't mean you should be building a damn character around them for the sake of comedy. There is also a difference between showing a black character watching BET in their leisure, and having a black character risk their life and be offered a sole personal freedom and choose something extremely stereotypical as their reward instead of something sensical. I mean, maybe even if they showed him in his cell watching a regular music video or a sitcom from BET it would have been less cringey. But you know what he was watching in his cell? Twerking asses. If they wanted him to say something funny there were a million other things he could have asked for.

We can't be this forgiving with this stereotype shit.

I don't know if it's better or worse that they showed they knew how to write black people in a non-ridiculous fashion with Deadshot and Waller. Then again those characters weren't supposed to be the comic relief, and that's usually where the stereotypical shit comes in.

I guess I can be happy that he was barely in the damn movie so I didn't have to see him or hear his bullshit through the entire stream of feces.

I'm not usually one to jump of the "PC" train, but damn I have my limits.

trufenix

bye felicia
if 1 person says a movie is good and 20 say its bad, its still bad. I like a lot of bad movies too, doesn't mean DC shouldn't stop making them.

Atriox

Here... I am a god!
I loved MoS and while I had problems with BvS, I still liked it. Most problems I had with it were general movie problems like the pacing was all over the damn place. I hated Doomsday and I think they completely wasted him. I hated how they killed Supes only to show him alive at the end. And the whole Martha thing of course. That being said, I still enjoyed it and I think the Ultimate Cut makes it much better.

Haven't seen SS as it's not coming out till the 18th here but I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy most of it.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
doesn't mean DC shouldn't stop making them.
No fear of that. SS is making serious money. It has broken all the records beating Guardians of the Galaxy for example, only Force Awakens made more. I expect there to be a drop off, but even The Force Awakens had a 55% drop off, when so many people see it on opening weekend there is always a drop off. So regardless of the crtitics or the fans or the haters, the movie has already made well over its production budget. So the DCMU is healthy, I mean even the last two made a profit. There is no way there will not be more DCMU and more SS squad films.

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
I don't think you really understand the point here and I don't think you're factoring in the context of it either.

They 1. Made a character who isn't black, black, and normally that isn't really that big of a deal, unless you 2. go out of your way to make this character as stereotypical as possible in the few scenes they have. Which is exactly what happened.

The thing about stereotypes is that some of them have a real origin, but it doesn't mean you should be building a damn character around them for the sake of comedy. There is also a difference between showing a black character watching BET in their leisure, and having a black character risk their life and be offered a sole personal freedom and choose something extremely stereotypical as their reward instead of something sensical. I mean, maybe even if they showed him in his cell watching a regular music video or a sitcom from BET it would have been less cringey. But you know what he was watching in his cell? Twerking asses. If they wanted him to say something funny there were a million other things he could have asked for.

We can't be this forgiving with this stereotype shit.

I don't know if it's better or worse that they showed they knew how to write black people in a non-ridiculous fashion with Deadshot and Waller. Then again those characters weren't supposed to be the comic relief, and that's usually where the stereotypical shit comes in.

I guess I can be happy that he was barely in the damn movie so I didn't have to see him or hear his bullshit through the entire stream of feces.

I'm not usually one to jump of the "PC" train, but damn I have my limits.
Croc is black... At least from my knowledge. 2. There's nothing wrong with being hood, liking BET, and watching women twerk. Nothing at all. The fact that this bothers you says more about you then the film makers. This is coming from a black guy from the hood lol. Chill out my G. We're not offended by this. You Shouldn't be either.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
well MOS was ok, but who needs another origin story for a character that has already had 5 movies about it. BvS was just such a mess, I found this the other day
I thought this was pretty funny considering Iron Man 2 is considered one of the worst marvel movies and its almost like they took its plot just made it more confusing and then poorly lit (gritty as the cool kids keep calling it)

I will however give credit to Ben Affleck he was the best part of that movie, that warehouse scene was by far the most interesting thing to come out of that film. I liked how he portrayed Bruce Wayne and Batman, also I am so happy they gave him a voice modulator instead of that choking on dicks Batman voice Christian Bale did in the dark knight trilogy.