What's new

Question Is scorpion REALLY that low tier?

Vagrant

Noob
Lol I got 5-0 'd all close ass games down to 3 rounds. Good shit dude I thought you were a noob talkin shit but you know what you're doin.

No excuses. ggs

187x

Noob
ggs vagrant i win 5-0, and just because i won the scorpion mirror doesnt make me the better scorpion player

scorpion has decent counter-zoning and hellfire is an amazing move.

his poke are an issue.... along with his normals after a poke

its unfair that freddy has 50 50 combo starters that are safe if cancelled for 1 bar and overpowered zoning...

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Just so you know, I relocated this thread to the Scorpion forum and attached a Question prefix.

And...Scorpion really doesn't have a position on the tier list, in my opinion. His success/failure rate comes down to one thing and one thing only:

Luck.
This is how I feel about him exactly.

As THTB once said about Jade being too honest a character in a game FULL of bullshit, Scorpion to me falls into the same kind of category...He would be considerably more fearsome/have a higher standing among the cast if so much of his game wasn't forcibly reliant on the luck of the Vortex. By forcibly, I mean the top tier can do entirely too much for him to otherwise deal with, so while his loop may be his strongest tool, it also becomes pretty much his only hope of great success.

ryublaze

Noob
This is how I feel about him exactly.

As THTB once said about Jade being too honest a character in a game FULL of bullshit, Scorpion to me falls into the same kind of category...He would be considerably more fearsome/have a higher standing among the cast if so much of his game wasn't forcibly reliant on the luck of the Vortex. By forcibly, I mean the top tier can do entirely too much for him to otherwise deal with, so while his loop may be his strongest tool, it also becomes pretty much his only hope of great success.
I remember the last time I used the words luck and Scorpion in the same sentence...didn't go too well lol. Even I call myself lucky whenever I win with him.

two things that make him low tier: suck ass pokes and having to rely on an unsafe ass vortex, but he can play it safe and do well too. Also his hellfire has no advantage on hit, if it did, he'd be able to have setups with that. Yep he really is bottom 10, but still tournament viable, all he seriously needs is pokes, hellfire plus on hit (can't do that slow ass thing twice quickly anyways so just making it like +3 wouldn't hurt), and a safe b2 and he'd be set.

Flagg

Noob
Scorpion is one of those characters that truly is unique in this game.

It's like he has an equally good/bad chance against anyone in the game. If he lands one spear, it's void time. His whole game revolves on the ability to land a spear successfully.

Element_

The First Element
What i meant was..Scorpion is character that benefits quite alot from lag...so many times people get away with that random EX teleport,when they shouldn't.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
If you have no troubles executing shit with all the input delay online scorpion is probably a really bad lag character compared to others. It is impossible to get out of pressure strings that leave small gabs without completely guessing.

x18x2xwildx

Something wicked this way comes.
I wish I played shitty Scorpion's who only play with risks. Unfortunately, I have to deal with ones that space and whiff punish hard, use his armor and d1 to get out of pressure situations, footsie with takedown since it's only -4 on block, convert any punch into an entire combo whether it be a AA d1 or a 111, use vortex to go into pressure or a throw mixup instead of an unsafe attack, and will hellfire you if you even think about turtling.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I wish I played shitty Scorpion's who only play with risks. Unfortunately, I have to deal with ones that space and whiff punish hard, use his armor and d1 to get out of pressure situations, footsie with takedown since it's only -4 on block, convert any punch into an entire combo whether it be a AA d1 or a 111, use vortex to go into pressure or a throw mixup instead of an unsafe attack, and will hellfire you if you even think about turtling.
So they actually play the game like a regular person? Almost all of that is him punishing you. The other stuff is matchup dependant though I guess.

GGA Wafflez

the kid
hellfire is hella underrated... it's a move that makes you jump on read into a character w/ one of the deadliest aa combos

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Point being, an unsafe character is as unsafe as you make them.
That's true, but to beat somebody who doesn't make mistakes like jumping, scorpion has to be unsafe. I agree with taking the least amount of risks but nobody is getting by just with anti airs and some whiff punishing, especially not with scorpion

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
hellfire is hella underrated... it's a move that makes you jump on read into a character w/ one of the deadliest aa combos
The issue is nobody is afraid to eat a couple hell fires unless they are low on health. And if you are looking for it you can jump on reaction, but I think like a stance change will be ambiguous.

GGA Wafflez

the kid
The issue is nobody is afraid to eat a couple hell fires unless they are low on health. And if you are looking for it you can jump on reaction, but I think like a stance change will be ambiguous.
i totally agree. eating hellfires at the beginning of a match isnt too big a deal. and i do agree that it a liability.... but it is still very useful. best used at full screen and maybe once or twice up close lol