What's new

Question Is scorpion REALLY that low tier?

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Dealing with good footsies,good pressure and air mobility are scorpions main problems. If they don't have air mobility Scorpion can run his hellfire/spear game which is huge because he can really force the action. Landing 1 good spear can get you great damage and meter without going for a 50/50. Scorpion should always build meter before going for a 50/50 unless you really need the damage.

For footsies B2 and F4 are 1 shot footsie tools for the most part. D4 is really all he has otherwise. Good reads with armor spear and even normal spear help in some situations, as well as EH takedown. It's like all scorpions footsie tools are 1 try only unless it's d4. Even then some characters like kitana can completely beat out b2 and f4 with normals half the speed and equal reach.

IMO maining Scorpion, with the way the games evolved probably isn't a good idea. He's not useless, he can be a good pocket character but has some really bad matchups. He can be a good pick against characters like Kenshi and a few others. I dont think cage and sonya are as bad as once thought but I can be wrong there. I think Kitana is worse than thought.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Scorpion doesn't deserve a static spot on the tier list. His play style is too gamechanging and wildcard-like that it could go either way. Though this definitely doesn't mean he has top 5 potential...
hey your location says you're in LA?

you should come to some offline events!

Impose I feel like a lot of people play Scorpion really risky. He has a lot of things going for him, but people tend to just focus on his 50/50s. For instance Hellfire means the opponent HAS to jump or just eat them endlessly, and when they DO jump, Scorpion's anti airs are REALLY good and deal a lot of damage, not to mention ending in a vortex situation.

For reference the anti airs that I'm talking about are:

AA D1 xx Teleport > Jump Kick xx Teleport > D1 xx Spear > Jump Punch F21 xx Teleport

AA B2 > Jump Kick xx Teleport > Jump Kick xx Teleport > D1 xx Spear > Jump Punch F21 xx Teleport

Impose

A Call For Blood
Yeah I've been really practicing that on spacing. I always represent hellfire early and often forcing unsafe jumps or baiting out teleports.
I love his resets.

Glass Sword

Nobody
Yeah I've been really practicing that on spacing. I always represent hellfire early and often forcing unsafe jumps or baiting out teleports.
I love his resets.
Dude if you like resets play Smoke or Cyrax they have guaranteed resets. They both have 50/50s too though they are different from Scorpion's. Cyrax has blockstring or command grab perhaps the best 50/50 in the game and Smoke has d4 or b2 which is up there for best 50/50s. Not to mention both the 50/50s are safe.

Impose

A Call For Blood
Dude if you like resets play Smoke or Cyrax they have guaranteed resets. They both have 50/50s too though they are different from Scorpion's. Cyrax has blockstring or command grab perhaps the best 50/50 in the game and Smoke has d4 or b2 which is up there for best 50/50s. Not to mention both the 50/50s are safe.
I have tried both, not really enjoying how they play.

Going to try Sonya soon as well

scorpion doesnt really have anything he can use to play footsies, there really isnt anything solid he can do if you just decide to dash block into half jumpin range, if he tries hellfire he risks a jumpin for full combo. the max he can get is like 2 hellfires before they come in and fuck him up.

edit: imo he is a turtle character because he is at his best when the opponent starts the first move and only then can he punish it or use something solid to react to the opponent. turtle characters need to be good at keeping life leads which scorpion doesnt do well at all. his fastest normal is 10 frames which is - on block and his pokes are horrible as well.

EMPEROR_THEO

I only use characters with wakeup scoops.
hey your location says you're in LA?

you should come to some offline events!

Impose I feel like a lot of people play Scorpion really risky. He has a lot of things going for him, but people tend to just focus on his 50/50s. For instance Hellfire means the opponent HAS to jump or just eat them endlessly, and when they DO jump, Scorpion's anti airs are REALLY good and deal a lot of damage, not to mention ending in a vortex situation.

For reference the anti airs that I'm talking about are:

AA D1 xx Teleport > Jump Kick xx Teleport > D1 xx Spear > Jump Punch F21 xx Teleport

AA B2 > Jump Kick xx Teleport > Jump Kick xx Teleport > D1 xx Spear > Jump Punch F21 xx Teleport
Its Jivan. :D I might make SCR if I don't have work. Weekday events. -_-

Vagrant

Noob
There are a handful of players that play scorp well enough to answer you're question. Other people who don't understand him just spew generic crap they heard other people say.

Here are a few of my thoughts.

Scorp is tournament viable
He's mid tier
When used properly he has massive comeback potential
He punishes HARD
His footsies are ok though most don't lead to massive damage
His d1 is one of the best in MK
his spear is great as a whiff punisher and AA
His teleport (like most) is useful but is insanely risky
When scorpion has meter he's dangerous as shit (EX spear)
You have to STUDY HIS MATCHUPS!! There is no scorpion autopilot mode, put in the work or play a different char.

187x

Noob
There are a handful of players that play scorp well enough to answer you're question. Other people who don't understand him just spew generic crap they heard other people say.

He's mid tier
He punishes HARD
You have to STUDY HIS MATCHUPS!! There is no scorpion autopilot mode, put in the work or play a different char.
i thought you said and made a thread that you where dropping Scorp because you couldn't take it lol? stop being fake and actually do it instead of being a attention whore nobody cares. i seen some of your matches at Frostys and whatever and lol you got bodied pretty hard, any Scorp player could off played better then that

Qwark28

Joker waiting room

He's mid tier
He punishes HARD
chars are as tournament viable as their player

hes low tier

when making good reads everyone has massive comeback potential

agreed

agreed

spear is too slow to whiff punish and characters who have air control can bait it and punish accordingly

depending on the situation

ex spear is more of a threat to him than anyone else, pretty much everyone can get full combo on a good read but it is very useful

you have to study everyones matchups

it takes good fundamentals to play and win with a character who has no decent footsie tools or can sustain pressure for a decent amount of time

Reactions: RYX

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
i thought you said and made a thread that you where dropping Scorp because you couldn't take it lol? stop being fake and actually do it instead of being a attention whore nobody cares. i seen some of your matches at Frostys and whatever and lol you got bodied pretty hard, any Scorp player could off played better then that
did you quote him just to trash him? who the fuck are you to tell him whether he should quit a character or not?

least he went to a tournament bro, better to be bodied in tournaments than body your couch.

187x

Noob
did you quote him just to trash him? who the fuck are you to tell him whether he should quit a character or not?

least he went to a tournament bro, better to be bodied in tournaments than body your couch.
NO i'm not trashing him he just sometimes doesnt know what hes talking about, and he made a thread that he was going to quit the character i didn't tell him to quit anything STFU

Vagrant

Noob
NO i'm not trashing him he just sometimes doesnt know what hes talking about, and he made a thread that he was going to quit the character i didn't tell him to quit anything STFU
Lol I didn't get bodied I competed and lost close matches to good players. I also beat scorps worst mu to advance as far as I did at frosty.

How is your tourney record bro?......

mirror matches don't mean anything but OK
That is the most un-confident answer any one could ever give xD
In relation to the OP, Scorpion is by no means a bad character, but there are probably 20 or so that are better. If you can handle the fact that you will be making a couple "high risk high reward" guesses per ROUND, and there isn't a safer alternative, then he's definitely worth investing in.