What's new

Is Injustice's "Round" System Flawed?

Are we just talking about resetting both life bars back to 100% after every round? Because i'd be down with that. What I wouldn't be down with is a total reset of the situation. So long as characters such as Sinestro got to keep his trait between rounds, and Batman gets to keep his bats, it'd be fine. I couldn't imagine spending all of round 1 trying to get Sinestro's trait charged against Aqua, finally get it out, barely win the round, then have the trait disappear at the start of round 2. I'd end up eating the disk.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
I think it's fine, because it works both ways, if you think you have lost a fight in the first 5 seconds, you suck balls.

The only way this "system" would be flawed. Is if the characters had different health. like some with 200, some with 220, some with 180, like Pig had suggested back when the game launched. then it would be a problem.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Guys enough on Bane. You want to have this conversation then just take it over to either the Bane or Grundy matchup boards and stop going off topic. This thread is about the round system.
Please bless us with your "Shadowebb" final form, master Shaowebb:D

The problem is that in a game with Pushblock, MB b3, Wager and no rounds, you HAVE TO give some characters braindead safe or adv. 50/50s otherwise those rushdown characters would get bopped for free. It would become too easy to block/escape their pressure and run away with the life lead.

Why did I not think of this sooner. THAT'S why this game has all that safe crap.

trufenix

bye felicia
I don't feel like any system can be "flawed" that only provides a situational bonus to maybe 5 characters at best that span a bunch of tiers. At that point it's just another system. If that's the criteria you could make a flawed case for anything. Clash? Flawed, because it favors zoners. Chip damage? Flawed, because it favors rush down. Trait? Flawed, because some characters are better. Jumping? Flawed because Batman J2. Supers? Superman. Ultras? HD Combos? Ring outs? Time overs? Taunts?

You could whittle down any system if you only point the finger at a few scenarios where its favorable. x-factor is flawed. this is not.

d3v

SRK
Which other games? Explain.

I do not care about non-fighting games such as the Smash series.
Someone has obviously not played Vampire Savior.

That said, VSav does have alot of important differences from IGAU. It's way faster for one, probably the fastest 2D fighter ever made (at the very least, it's faster than Marvel). The combos in general are very short (despite using a chain system) and the game places heavier emphasis on oki (but not to the point where it dominates the meta like SFIV). The game is also very, very rushdown oriented, which contributes to the pace (plus the fact that damage is higher than in most modern games).

A New Angel Is Advent

mutton basher
Someone has obviously not played Vampire Savior.
That was the first thing I thought of on day 1 injustice. I was all like "round system is like vsav, but the game is all slow and, wait, is round 2 starting with me in the corner? Well he took a step back to taunt so there's that. I didn't like vsav round system either but the pace made it feel right.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
M2Dave thread formula:

1. Dave bitching
2. People bitching about Dave bitching
3. Mod coming in to say issue is valid
4. Topic somehoow being switched to Bane
5. Conversation about Bane that ends in insults
6. Mod coming in to get back to topic
7. People bitching about dave again
8. Mod closes thread

Hint: This is not a valid issue, no matter how much you talk about the no round system will not change the fact that it is in Injustice and will not be in MK.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Please bless us with your "Shadowebb" final form, master Shaowebb:D
Be careful what you wish for...I just murdered 3 pages and I didn't even use my final form.

Stay on topic folks. How do you feel about the round system and the way it effects life leads, comebacks, and the rest?

RoGE

Noob
He's down to his last character: Vergil! HE ACTIVATES X-FACTOR..Hits them with 3 combos AND THE CROWD GOES WILD!

lol lbsh, not every comeback mechanic is "hype"

SquirtMcGirt

Purple balls covering the screen
I can see how the round system can kind of suck, like the other night we played like 15 games and idk it seemed like I would come out the gate really strong and take your first life bar, if you weren't such a good player that would be hard for people to come back from General M2Dave its just really hard to come back when that happens especially when you barley touch the other person and they demolish your first life bar. It really sucks cause sometimes it takes me a game or 2 to figure out what an opponents game plan is.

Sent from Sam Wheat in the Phantom Zone.

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
Reminds me of skins vs stroke play in golf.

Skins each hole is brand new, you can lose one hole as bad as you want and its just one hole.

Stroke play you get a 15 on one hole, and now you are totally 100% screwed.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
Idk it's kind of fair both ways.

Rounds you could have gotten your foe down to 1% life and he then beats you to win the round. all that work to get him to 1% life with one of his health bars is gone and now you have to beat 2 full health bars instead of 100% + 1. %.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

kronspik

Noob
Rounds you could have gotten your foe down to 1% life and he then beats you to win the round. all that work to get him to 1% life with one of his health bars is gone and now you have to beat 2 full health bars instead of 100% + 1. %.
That's not really the same. Yeah you would have to beat 2 full health bars, but if you beat 1 health bar, you heal back to 100%. It's not 100% against 200%.

Anyway, nice analysis m2dave.

Jay Rupp

Human Smoke or Riot
I don't have a problem with the round system in the game, I feel it adds depth to the game.

The thing I agree with most that people are saying is your opponent getting thrown full screen instead of something like just outside jump distance.
If you corner them and win the round, you start off at sweep. Just adds more strategy/depth.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

kronspik

Noob
Though one problem I have with this topic is that it's not necessarily a flaw to have mechanics that discourage comebacks. That could be an intentional design goal. I feel like the thread title should have been "Does Injustice's round system highly discourage comebacks?"

One big reason why I think this was intentional is because MK9's combo breakers served a similar purpose. You gained more meter from being aggressive and doing well, and then you could use that meter for combo breakers to preserve your lead if the opponent got a lucky hit in. NRS's philosophy on comebacks seems consistent.

jaym7018

Noob
You fail to understand that you play the same regardless.

Your example just proves my point. The difference is in a new "round" she is already UP one round.... meaning she cannot lose the match. She is going to play the same regardless. She'll take more risks regardless.... to end the match early. Or in Injustice's case... to simply build meter for a more advantageous round. The player who is down a round now has to burn their meter trying to catch up to the round. So even if they win.... they are still at a huge meter disadvantage.

So please explain to me how i'm wrong again.

Its an illusion.
This is 100% correct. This is also exactly what i said like 4 pages ago.

jaym7018

Noob
Reminds me of skins vs stroke play in golf.

Skins each hole is brand new, you can lose one hole as bad as you want and its just one hole.

Stroke play you get a 15 on one hole, and now you are totally 100% screwed.
Now picture that skins game is only 3 holes all of a sudden that 1 hole isnt just 1 hole. Now picture you can meter burn your tee shot for 30 extra yards or meter burn your approach to get 5 feet closer. Whoever wins that first hole is at a massive advantage cause they dont have much incentive to burn that meter where the guy down a hole has to burn the meter to insure a 3rd hole.

Bam injustice golf anaolgy ftw.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
so I'm not wrong
Unless its Marvel...then it favors the meter leader due to Xfactor shenanigans. For the most part though barring some out there mechanics in games though...yes. Round systems generally favor the life leader no matter what. In every game I've played that someone could face an opponent during a round with a massive life lead they have put in some sort of meter based mechanic that boosts offense to allow for comebacks. HD combos in KoF XIII, X Factor in UMVC3, etc...

IGAU is the first I've seen to try using meter as a tool to potentially heal the underdog enough to dive them a fighting chance,though.

d3v

SRK
That was the first thing I thought of on day 1 injustice. I was all like "round system is like vsav, but the game is all slow and, wait, is round 2 starting with me in the corner? Well he took a step back to taunt so there's that. I didn't like vsav round system either but the pace made it feel right.
I was thinking the same thing as well, then I tried to IAD and all that went out the window.
IGAU is the first I've seen to try using meter as a tool to potentially heal the underdog enough to dive them a fighting chance,though.
3rd Strike Elena?
Dark Phoenix?