What's new

Question Is Green Lantern viable?

Is he top 10 or is he a bill of goods

• Total voters

Hades

Noob
I was emo about this whole back dashing thing before but after watching the way djt played he is definitely a solid character and dude he's got ridiculous footsies. He destroys jumps ins with lanterns might and mini gun. He has a ridiculous long reaching low that basically makes the opponent have to block at the start of the match. He has multiple jailing set ups with b1,3 rocket power and b1,3 mb OAs rocket. He has a tonne of set ups with his f2 into b1/d1 for a confusing low/overhead mix up. He has his trait set up that's cross up low or non cross up. He still has his classic mb lanterns might into jump cross up/non cross up or dash through overhead/low or wait for the dash to not cross up low/overhead. This isn't to mention his zoning capabilities with rocket power OAS rocket and mini gun. Of course lanterns mobility limits him but this is where all lanterns need to acknowledge how patient they need to be and honestly if he had good mobility he would be way over he top. After thinking about all the set ups and zoning potential he has I've changed my mind about this 'bill of goods' way of thinking. Gl is fine the way he is and if he's not top 10 he's damn close to it

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
says the guy who stated GL is dumb and goes 5-5 with mmh
he is dumb, the EX LM mix up is top 3 stupid mix ups in the game and he gets it from his b1, the undisputed best normal in the game.

And, I'd rather fight MMH any day than zatanna or raven or bane or...

Seriously? Backdashing b13? No.

B13 close Rocket Power works because you can't just assume he's going to use Rocket Power- you'll eat Lantern's Might and Chainguns all freaking day.

His f3 setups aren't easy to freaking block. All his f3 setups allow him to just as easily do a b13. You have to guess high or low. You can't just use skill to block that shit. It is pure mathematic probability.

He doesn't need mobility- he has b13. His footsie range is big enough to park a car between him and the enemy.

No.

No character that has a b13 like Lantern does should have a mobility that allows him to constantly stay in a range where he can abuse this constantly.
Rocket power is easily reactable and you get full combo punish

Just a quick note I don't think GL is bottom 5 LMFAO he's not that bad. What I mean is that if he's top tier because I saw people putting him in the same tier has Supermam considering supes has only 1 or 2 4-6s and GL has a couple of 3-7 and numerous 4-6s. I think he's top 15 but I can name about 12 chars better

Rocket power is easily reactable and you get full combo punish
You know what's also a full combo punish?

Getting hit with LM because you assumed he was going to cancel b13 into CRP and got stuffed trying to interrupt it.

Once again- anyone who thinks Green Lantern isn't viable should just quit the game. Nightwing, Lex, Hawkgirl, Deathstroke's are making top 8 at majors, and so are Green Lantern- it's obvious the players need buffing, not the characters.

You are officially the MylesWright of Green Lantern.

Getting hit with LM because you assumed he was going to cancel b13 into CRP and got stuffed trying to interrupt it.

Once again- anyone who thinks Green Lantern isn't viable should just quit the game. Nightwing, Lex, Hawkgirl, Deathstroke's are making top 8 at majors, and so are Green Lantern- it's obvious the players need buffing, not the characters.

You don't dash the crp on a read lol you block and when you see rocket power which is easy to see you dasj and full punish lol nothing unsafe about itit

BunLantern

Long live b13 minigun
or Raven or MMH lol and Zod. every other MU is winnable but if youre against them gg
Raven, MMH and Zod don't come close to Zatanna. Sure GL's at a disadvantage in all of those but he can certainly win. Against Zatanna it's a new level, I mean it's hard to put into words how bad the Zatanna MU is lol

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends

You actually won't be able to get hit with LM most of the time because LM comes out well before you're supposed to dash, so you'll still be blocking when it does. You're more likely to run into minigun than you are LM because of this.

Also, again, I'm not sold on MMH and I've been hearing stuff about Zat that's making the matchup a lot more bearable than thought. Zod I can agree with, though...dunno about Raven since nobody plays her lol.

Some of these GL players need to stop complaining, though, and watch some Kusumondo matches in ST, where he actually wins Honda's harder matchups. A 3-7 is doable...hard, but doable. 2-8 is pushing it, but if someone like Kusumondo is willing to push through those types of matchups on a regular basis in a game that has no universal mechanics to assist in any way, why can't we?

Last edited:

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
GL is a SOLID fundamental character. He has solid footsie tools at his disposal. B13 is a good whiff punishing move and its not that easy to predict what the player would even cancel into. He has the rocket and mini gun to mix it up with. Not to mention b12. As far as back dashing out of b13 goes...that's a good idea on paper, but a patient GL player with strong footsies will let you be the one to screw up, not him/herself. Take a look at DJT. He took a solid character and has taken 2nd at EVO and SCR. I believe that is because he has strong fundamentals and is very patient. GL is a strong character IN THE RIGHT HANDS. Top 10? Fuck yea.

JDM

Noob
Seriously? Backdashing b13? No.

B13 close Rocket Power works because you can't just assume he's going to use Rocket Power- you'll eat Lantern's Might and Chainguns all freaking day.

His f3 setups aren't easy to freaking block. All his f3 setups allow him to just as easily do a b13. You have to guess high or low. You can't just use skill to block that shit. It is pure mathematic probability.

He doesn't need mobility- he has b13. His footsie range is big enough to park a car between him and the enemy.

No.

No character that has a b13 like Lantern does should have a mobility that allows him to constantly stay in a range where he can abuse this constantly.
Actually B13 Rocket Power is terrible, if you can't react to it just stop playing fighting games (for real).

It's nothing but a gimmick and a piss poor one at that, cause it's horribly punishable. I DARE anyone to do it to someone who has some GL experience. None of my training partners will ever be hit by it in tournament I can assure you that.

However yes GL is viable this question is dumb. It's the same with the Nightwing threads, I think people aren't seeing their characters and losing faith in their characters. Stop it. You don't need someone to show you how to be good with a character, and you don't need someone else placing to prove that they are viable. Green Lantern is still top 10/12 to me and I main him. He's got the most ridiculous normal in b1 and the best anti airs in the game. His movement kinda sucks but everything else makes up for that.

If you guys knew how to play footsies you'd notice how good Green Lantern is. His f3/b1 mixups are ridiculous and his vortexes are still super good (albeit worse than they used to be). He's a bit gimmicky but still super solid even without those gimmicks.

JDM

Noob
You actually won't be able to get hit with LM most of the time because LM comes out well before you're supposed to dash, so you'll still be blocking when it does. You're more likely to run into minigun than you are LM because of this.

Also, again, I'm not sold on MMH and I've been hearing stuff about Zat that's making the matchup a lot more bearable than thought. Zod I can agree with, though...dunno about Raven since nobody plays her lol.

Some of these GL players need to stop complaining, though, and watch some Kusumondo matches in ST, where he actually wins Honda's harder matchups. A 3-7 is doable...hard, but doable. 2-8 is pushing it, but if someone like Kusumondo is willing to push through those types of matchups on a regular basis in a game that has no universal mechanics to assist in any way, why can't we?

honestly I think the main thing with "Dealing with it" in an NRS game is just the simplicity of the characters. Sure I can tough it out with GL OR I can learn Aquaman in 2 hours and cover all my bad matchups like I have been doing, lol.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
honestly I think the main thing with "Dealing with it" in an NRS game is just the simplicity of the characters. Sure I can tough it out with GL OR I can learn Aquaman in 2 hours and cover all my bad matchups like I have been doing, lol.
Even then, given what the hell some of these characters do and some of the universal mechanics simply existing makes me less likely to want to switch. I honestly feel 1000x more comfortable just sticking with the one character I play than I have in pretty much any other fighting game I've played.

gpmoney

CORN | gpmoney. Saltier than a bag of chips.
When will all of you idiots just realize that there is no point in playing any other character in this game but The Joker. Hid fundamentals, footsie game, normals, and tech are the best on the game. Just stop what you are doing now and play joker hes triple SSS+ tier.

JDM

Noob
When will all of you idiots just realize that there is no point in playing any other character in this game but The Joker. Hid fundamentals, footsie game, normals, and tech are the best on the game. Just stop what you are doing now and play joker hes triple SSS+ tier.

This is someone I was telling you guys to try B13 Rocket Power to. He will blow you up :3

Even then, given what the hell some of these characters do and some of the universal mechanics simply existing makes me less likely to want to switch. I honestly feel 1000x more comfortable just sticking with the one character I play than I have in pretty much any other fighting game I've played.
Aquaman is very similar to GL. Only reason I picked him up.

gpmoney

CORN | gpmoney. Saltier than a bag of chips.
don't let the kapa face fool ya lol but you will get the shit zoned out of you and then say his zone is too good :p lol