What's new

Video/Tutorial "Insurance paid up?" HawkGirl BNB's (List/Videos)

4x4lo8o

Noob
WE2 is HG's most practical starter. It's fast, is + on block, launches and hits overhead. You'll have to use it in your pressure if you want to open up people. Cancel normals in we2 when you're upclose is great. It also avoids most d1.
Thanks, that's great to know. Had no idea it was positive on block. I picked up on the keep away, flying around, zoning stuff easily enough but had no idea what to be doing or going for in her up close game.

I hope I didn't come across as snarky. I'm just the type of player that likes to list ALL possibilities and what not because to truly master a character you have to know everything they possess and are capable of...even small combos from less used normals. Don't limit yourself by asking what you SHOULD use...if you are serious with HawkGirl just jump in the lab and start experimenting and learn her and find out what you like the most. One thing I'm finding is she isn't really combo dependent...I win the majority of my matches with bullying my opponent with stomp and mace charges. The string I find most useful is B23 or B22...her mix up string. ;)
Glad you are interested in this fabulous character!
Yeah, you're very thorough. I've seen your MK stuff.
I generally agree with you about learning process and getting to know you're character. I just feel like it's important on the forums to know that not everyone's on the same the level, and that's ok. I could have easily been a new guy who's already struggling to learn the notation and then I find this giant list of combos and am just overwhelmed and have no idea which ones to use or even try. I have no idea why you'd even need so many combos so I ask for help and get 'lol, use the list'. Not sure I'd ever ask for help on the forums again or develop into a player who'd eventually give back to the community.

Luckily that's not the case and I'm just an experienced forum goer who knows you're well meaning and am just trying to get my new secondary up too snuff quickly enough to feel ok using her in casual at the tournament I'm travelling to tomorrow. Right now my game with her is based solely on fly around and being obnoxious so I'm just trying to get to a point where I'm not just flailing around mashing buttons if I happen to land something while I'm on the ground.
If all goes well I'll be finding my own stuff and contributing to the Hawkgirl community soon enough.

I feel like this actually a common problem. When you're maining a character and you're knee deep in exploring every string, combo, and piece of tech it makes sense to post every combo for every situation, and you may even be trying to help newcomers by posting combos with different execution levels and things like that. But there's a certain point where soneone's not involved enough with the character(either because their interest in the character is temporary or shallow or just because they're not there yet) and all that info is just in the way and they need something specific to start with. It's a common scenario and I've seen people on this forum handle it much worse than you did. A player isn't necessarily lazy or stupid or a scrub(not that you implied any of those, but 'the info's there, do it yourself is a mentality I've seen here') for not wanting to dig through a big list of combo, and even if the intent is to help them grow as a player denying them what they asked for isn't necessarily helping them.
I actually think it's worth having a basic bnb list of not more than 5 combos, a 'these are your general, basic execution level combos that will get you through most situations' kind of thing, and then more comprehensive list that's as big as you can make it. They just serve different purposes

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Thanks, that's great to know. Had no idea it was positive on block. I picked up on the keep away, flying around, zoning stuff easily enough but had no idea what to be doing or going for in her up close game.

Yeah, you're very thorough. I've seen your MK stuff.
I generally agree with you about learning process and getting to know you're character. I just feel like it's important on the forums to know that not everyone's on the same the level, and that's ok. I could have easily been a new guy who's already struggling to learn the notation and then I find this giant list of combos and am just overwhelmed and have no idea which ones to use or even try. I have no idea why you'd even need so many combos so I ask for help and get 'lol, use the list'. Not sure I'd ever ask for help on the forums again or develop into a player who'd eventually give back to the community.

Luckily that's not the case and I'm just an experienced forum goer who knows you're well meaning and am just trying to get my new secondary up too snuff quickly enough to feel ok using her in casual at the tournament I'm travelling to tomorrow. Right now my game with her is based solely on fly around and being obnoxious so I'm just trying to get to a point where I'm not just flailing around mashing buttons if I happen to land something while I'm on the ground.
If all goes well I'll be finding my own stuff and contributing to the Hawkgirl community soon enough.

I feel like this actually a common problem. When you're maining a character and you're knee deep in exploring every string, combo, and piece of tech it makes sense to post every combo for every situation, and you may even be trying to help newcomers by posting combos with different execution levels and things like that. But there's a certain point where soneone's not involved enough with the character(either because their interest in the character is temporary or shallow or just because they're not there yet) and all that info is just in the way and they need something specific to start with. It's a common scenario and I've seen people on this forum handle it much worse than you did. A player isn't necessarily lazy or stupid or a scrub(not that you implied any of those, but 'the info's there, do it yourself is a mentality I've seen here') for not wanting to dig through a big list of combo, and even if the intent is to help them grow as a player denying them what they asked for isn't necessarily helping them.
I actually think it's worth having a basic bnb list of not more than 5 combos, a 'these are your general, basic execution level combos that will get you through most situations' kind of thing, and then more comprehensive list that's as big as you can make it. They just serve different purposes
Very articulate and eloquent response ;) I totally agree with you and now totally understand where you are coming from. To be honest with you, even though I've had numerous wins with her, I still feel like I'm at stage 2 or 3 out of 10 with HG. Right now I'm comfy with my air assaults and space control...I'm currently working on my ground game (which is deadly, don't let anyone fool you) and trying to open opponents up.

Right now I'd say B23 and B22 are great and essential to start out with...123 is somewhat useless (the range...oh the terrible range) like Boodendorf said...WE(2) is great to use during pressure and obviously starts a combo. HawkGirl really shines in the corner...so def. study up on that.

Also, go to my Battle Footage thread and watch the plethora of videos from myself and Boodendorf ...we have different styles but both are very effective. He's super aggressive and flashy and I'm a little more conservative. But yeah...I'm still learning and getting comfy with this character so I'd say just stick to B2's and Wing Evades for right now ;)

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
I'd say the best solution for the first post, highlight the "BnBs" or the go-to combos in red color or whatever and mention that so the new players would focus on those where the rest of the combos are for the dudes that want variations and whatnot.

b2 is freakin slow as hell though, only time i go for that is if i hit a d1 coz then the b2 will act as a frametrap. Not to mention that it suffers from the T-Rex range problem too lol. Oh and just to make sure. Dont go for the 3rd hit after b22, that shit's mad unsafe. Do b22 xxWE2 or MC, or just WE to back off.

and 123 has its uses, it punishes some stuff like derpstroke's swordflip and Doomsday's supernova. its just not a go-to string.

btw what r u guys using to record your matches? I want to start recording too so I know what I need to improve on and whatnot, and I have a few setups that I want to try out.

4x4lo8o

Noob
(I don't remember the exact % of dmg)
Best (practical and good damage wise) midscreen combos:
Easiest: we2 b1 4 2 mc 28%
Hardest: we2 123 j2 mc 30%
Not to nitpick, since you even mentioned the damage might not be right, but unless I'm doing something wrong those both do 24%. Are you landing the we2 after a string or something?

Edit: Nevermind. I'm retarded. mc definitely doesn't stand for mace throw

To
Not to nitpick, since you even mentioned the damage might not be right, but unless I'm doing something wrong those both do 24%. Are you landing the we2 after a string or something?

Edit: Nevermind. I'm retarded. mc definitely doesn't stand for mace throw

WE2>1>2>3>J2>macecharge does 27% and can be Mb'ed To 32%. The mb can be finicky. You have to hit the beginning 123 as soon as possible so the opponent can be high enough for you to connect the meter burn mace charge.

also kudos for the maturity on this forum. I've seen people blow this kind of stuff up and just outright be dix. anyway, midscreen I like to use b22, b23, We2, 32, and F13. I like to base everything off of D1 pressure mix up. so like d1>sweep, d1>dive kick, d1>We3. once I get in usually off a blocked WE3, I'll start the strings. I really like F 13 because it's easy to block/hit confirm. if they do block, I can see it very easily and WE3 again to whatever I choose to do next to mix up.

Corner beginner game: Easy. work d1>sweeps to condition your opponent to block low. then bust out all the overheads. if you score a WE2, proceed to F 13 as many as you can as an easy Corner loop. :)

Yeah I've been wanting to pick this character up too but it's been annoying looking at the combo thread becuase there's 90000 different combos. I'd much prefer to see the best BnBs to just be highlighted so I know what's the most tournament-viable combos to be doing. As for general footsies and mixups I guess I'll just figure it out myself or make a new thread for people to talk about that. But these past few posts going that are pretty much blowing up her b22, b23, d1, and WE2 are a great starting point for me to know what the best things to use are. Probably gonna bust out a notebook and rewrite all her frame data on all of the things I want to do with her. This character seems like a pressure MONSTER up close.

4x4lo8o

Noob
So, I dunno if this is known or not -I feel like it should be, but I didn't see it mentioned in this thread - but you can combo off of a MB air mace throw in the corner. If you space it right you can also combo off of an ex-air mace throw. If you hit them with the mace and whiff the MB charge the hitstun is long enough to at least land a d1.

I haven't fleshed either of these out at all and I'm unsure about the practicality of the second one, but I figured I'd throw it out there in case anyone wants to mess around with it this weekend.

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
Okay so I really found anti pushblock tech, holy crap. This is gonna be amazing when people learn to pushblock!

Works midscreen and in the corner. In the corner it gives you a free 40% combo, midscreen it lets you land we3 for free and land right behind them. WHOAAAAA!

Making a video of this.

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
So, I dunno if this is known or not -I feel like it should be, but I didn't see it mentioned in this thread - but you can combo off of a MB air mace throw in the corner. If you space it right you can also combo off of an ex-air mace throw. If you hit them with the mace and whiff the MB charge the hitstun is long enough to at least land a d1.

I haven't fleshed either of these out at all and I'm unsure about the practicality of the second one, but I figured I'd throw it out there in case anyone wants to mess around with it this weekend.
If done right you can do mb mace throw, with both mace and shoulder hitting into f13 b1 we3 f13 f13 f13 for like 47%

Blackburry

Buffs needs buffs
Not sure if it has been posted since I haven't seen it at the OP so sorry if this is just a repost.

Pretty viable and online friendly combo.

123, 123, 3~MC=30% works midscreen and in the corner

Also this corner specific combo. Haven't tried it online yet but it should be viable.

123, F3, 123, 32~MC=34%

CamRac

Noob
Okay so I really found anti pushblock tech, holy crap. This is gonna be amazing when people learn to pushblock!

Works midscreen and in the corner. In the corner it gives you a free 40% combo, midscreen it lets you land we3 for free and land right behind them. WHOAAAAA!

Making a video of this.
Free 40% combos? WE'RE IN THERE. :D

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
48% no meter f11 starter corner punish combo:
F11 4 d 12 mc f13 b1 we3 f13 f13.
Glad I found something close to 50% without even wasting meter!

Kovu

The Crownless King
B1 into WE3 feels so weird to me, lol.

EDIT: If your opponent happens to be in the corner while you're in flight,
Air Mace(MB), f13, f13, f13, MC - 42%.

Dunno if that's already been posted.

So I'm curious, trying to pick up hawkgirl but I don't know what starter I used be using for my combos. I learnt the 123 123 mace charge combo but I heard 123 is an awful starter(and considering 3 is like -21 I'm inclined to agree). So I looked up a couple videos but couldn't find didly squat so I figured id ask you gentlemen.

The combo posted a few posts above me looks good(and f11 sounds like a practical starter) only issue is both seem like corner combos.

learis1

Guardian Cadet
Here's a nice midscreen combo: 34% dmg 1 meter. Haven't seen it discussed.

f1, mace throw, MB (to upwards charge), 3, MC.

With most of Hawkgirl's attacks, the opponent staggers too far or is not in enough hitstun for the mace throw MB upcharge to connect except when in the corner (or on certain bigger opponents). This combo however is a guarantee and is nice because it starts from her fastest normal so it's good for punishes.

So far this is the highest midscreen dmg I've seen listed outside of super. Maybe you guys can optimize it further.

So I'm curious, trying to pick up hawkgirl but I don't know what starter I used be using for my combos. I learnt the 123 123 mace charge combo but I heard 123 is an awful starter(and considering 3 is like -21 I'm inclined to agree). So I looked up a couple videos but couldn't find didly squat so I figured id ask you gentlemen.

The combo posted a few posts above me looks good(and f11 sounds like a practical starter) only issue is both seem like corner combos.
Hey man. Yes, 1>2 sucks as a starter. Please reference our recent discussion on this topic. Just note our above posts on this page :)

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
Here's a nice midscreen combo: 34% dmg 1 meter. Haven't seen it discussed.

f1, mace throw, MB (to upwards charge), 3, MC.

With most of Hawkgirl's attacks, the opponent staggers too far or is not in enough hitstun for the mace throw MB upcharge to connect except when in the corner (or on certain bigger opponents). This combo however is a guarantee and is nice because it starts from her fastest normal so it's good for punishes.

So far this is the highest midscreen dmg I've seen listed outside of super. Maybe you guys can optimize it further.

regulas

Your Emporer
Combo question: should you actually bother using MB in combo's?

I seem to find that MB is extremely useful for mobility, breaking armour and mind-games, and when you consider that her combo damage isn't spectacular anyway I kind of feel it may be better to just do mundane combo's (like 1234,123) when you get the chance, at least unless you have extra MB, especially considering how precise some of her key combo's tend to be.