What's new

Video/Tutorial "Insurance paid up?" HawkGirl BNB's (List/Videos)

Combo question: should you actually bother using MB in combo's?

I seem to find that MB is extremely useful for mobility, breaking armour and mind-games, and when you consider that her combo damage isn't spectacular anyway I kind of feel it may be better to just do mundane combo's (like 1234,123) when you get the chance, at least unless you have extra MB, especially considering how precise some of her key combo's tend to be.
I've been using MB mostly for mindgames, if I wanna get in off of Air MT, or within combos for the purpose of corner push as opposed to damage. Meter gain isn't an issue with her. I'd really like to use more MB just strictly to push block and see how that suits me.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
All my meter goes to MB mace tosses (air or ground) and occasional MB b3's depending on the matchup.
The combos I've seen with MB stuff are too weird for my hands (straight MT into up MB shoulder is something I cant get consistently for the life of me) so yeah the only time I'll use it in combos is MBing a MC in the end of the combo lol.

learis1

Guardian Cadet
So far all my meter has been saved for her super. It's actually a really useful super for punishing (great vs. Deathstroke and other zoners). I'm gonna try incorporating more MB into combos and situations where I know the MB will grant at least 6-7% extra dmg, or protect you from being comboed (ex whiffed air MT). Otherwise it feels better to save it in my opinion.

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
Only reasons you should use meter with Hawkgirl:
(Red is very high priority, Green is very situational)
-MB Mace toss, gives you lots of mobility in the air or on the ground and amazing + frames on block.
-Pushblock, Hawkgirl isn't good at handling pressure.
-Armored b3/f3 against some attacks.
-Mbing mace charge at the end of a midscreen combo to end the round/match.

Kovu

The Crownless King
Okay so I really found anti pushblock tech, holy crap. This is gonna be amazing when people learn to pushblock!

Works midscreen and in the corner. In the corner it gives you a free 40% combo, midscreen it lets you land we3 for free and land right behind them. WHOAAAAA!

Making a video of this.
I'm very interested in seeing this. I see tons of potential.

Airborne

The Mad Scientist
While we're still on the topic of meter usage, I'd like to clarify that aerial MB Mace Toss is not as safe on block as grounded MB Mace Toss. However, it's still pretty safe and a decent way to get in.

While we're still on the topic of meter usage, I'd like to clarify that aerial MB Mace Toss is not as safe on block as grounded MB Mace Toss. However, it's still pretty safe and a decent way to get in.
hmm...I think blocked air MT MB is nearly unpunishable. Superman's super can punish it, but i don't think anything else can. Tested a 6F reversal and that can't even punish it.

Airborne

The Mad Scientist
hmm...I think blocked air MT MB is nearly unpunishable. Superman's super can punish it, but i don't think anything else can. Tested a 6F reversal and that can't even punish it.
Yeah, that's what I mean. With grounded MB Mace Toss, you can punish 6f reversals on block with b2, which has 14 frames of startup. However, with aerial MB Mace Toss, you're at a minor frame disadvantage.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Just to be clear on air MB Mace toss, the safeness depends on the height/spacing. At max height I've been punished by d1's (which floats you coz you're airborne) and a few other moves.

I might test it out in a bit to see how safe/unsafe it is.

Airborne

The Mad Scientist
Just to be clear on air MB Mace toss, the safeness depends on the height/spacing.
Yeah, I tried messing with the height at which it connects, but I've had a hard time understanding how to force it so that the MB hits lower.
At max height I've been punished by d1's (which float you coz you're airborne) and a few other moves.
So am I always floating then? :joker:

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
I'll add a couple of combos...
Anti Air: D2/Fly-1,2/Mace Charge - 20%
1,2,3-B3-JI3-1,2,3/Mace Charge - 36%

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Yeah, I tried messing with the height at which it connects, but I've had a hard time understanding how to force it so that the MB hits lower.

So am I always floating then? :joker:
Lool that was so cheesy but I still laughed at that.

I'm assuming its how high you're chucking the maces, so if you do it at max flight height I'm like 100% that it'll be unsafe. maybe around the height where your legs around the opponent's head it'll maybe be safe then.
Yeah I'll have to mess around with it when i get the chance.

learis1

Guardian Cadet
I'm having a lot of trouble connecting b3 from f1, MT MB (up charge), b3. But I can do it really easy from 3, MT MB (up charge), b3. Is there a reason for this or some secret to make it easier from f1?

4x4lo8o

Noob
Only reasons you should use meter with Hawkgirl:
(Red is very high priority, Green is very situational)
-MB Mace toss, gives you lots of mobility in the air or on the ground and amazing + frames on block.
-Pushblock, Hawkgirl isn't good at handling pressure.
-Armored b3/f3 against some attacks.
-Mbing mace charge at the end of a midscreen combo to end the round/match.
I've seen you posting a bunch of the Mace Toss p shoulder MB combos, are you saying you don't use those?

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
I've seen you posting a bunch of the Mace Toss p shoulder MB combos, are you saying you don't use those?
Wellll since we started figuring out combos that do close to 50% without meter, I don't see why I should waste meter, unless I can punish a move midscreen with 3 mace toss mb up shoulder for 45%, but that happens very rarely.

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
I'm having a lot of trouble connecting b3 from f1, MT MB (up charge), b3. But I can do it really easy from 3, MT MB (up charge), b3. Is there a reason for this or some secret to make it easier from f1?
Yes, because there's not enough pushback from the f1, while 3 has enough pushback against most characters. It's also hurtbox dependent, you need to do 32 on big characters and even then it's tough.

learis1

Guardian Cadet
These are the corner mixup combos I'm using. They're not the most damaging but they're very easy execution-wise (lots of leniency in timing).

b23, 22, b1 WE 3, 32 MC - 40% (overhead mixup)

b22 WE 2, 22, b1 WE 3, 32 MC - 39% (low mixup, then overhead mixup if blocked or continues the combo if not)

The hardest thing for me is timing multiple WE 3's. Also, very often after a corner WE 3 I'm actually on the other side of the enemy. If I try to do f13 I end up accidentally getting b13 which doesn't connect and leaves me very vulnerable. I don't have to worry about that with these combos because 32 after WE 3 at the end always seems to keep hawkgirl on the correct side.

I'm curious what the max dmg corner combos off of these starting mixups would be though (b23 and b22 WE 2).

CamRac

Noob
Wellll since we started figuring out combos that do close to 50% without meter, I don't see why I should waste meter, unless I can punish a move midscreen with 3 mace toss mb up shoulder for 45%, but that happens very rarely.
What's your midscreen no meter BnB at this point, Boo?

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
What's your midscreen no meter BnB at this point, Boo?
Either:
we2 b1 4 2 mc (Not the most optimized, but I'm used to doing it.)
or
(AA) d2 123 j2 mc

Does d1 we3 count as a midscreen bnb tho? lol

Also, safest BnB off a we2 midscreen would be we2 b1 we3 as b1 we3 is a frametrap. It doesn't do much damages but it's still great.

CamRac

Noob
Thanks. :)

Just out of curiosity, how do you guys compensate for not having a good low starter for Hawkgirl? I mean, I feel like when I'm playing her, that she is some sort of wonky rushdown character. However, I have trouble mixing people up. I find my sweep getting used more and more just to show them that I'm willing to take that risk. :/

Just out of curiosity, how do you guys compensate for not having a good low starter for Hawkgirl? I mean, I feel like when I'm playing her, that she is some sort of wonky rushdown character. However, I have trouble mixing people up. I find my sweep getting used more and more just to show them that I'm willing to take that risk. :/
Sadly, I think thats a necessary part of her game. The first thing I like to establish is the fact that I'm gonna use D1>sweep, and I keep using it all in an effort to try to condition the opponent to worry about blocking low. To compound the issue, her sweep is mediocre when compared to the rest of the cast, although i guess it could be worse. The only low options we have are B22 and sweep so I think its important to establish the use of both asap. The beauty is after you've thrown out a few sweeps and then comeback with that WE2.

The other things to work off of are appropriately spaced WE crossups>whatever. At least her crossup game helps to compensate for the lack of lows. Well, and the fact that WE's are all + on block allows for good pressure and mixup. Off blocked WE, you can do throw, sweep, divekick, etc.

Boodendorf

Bird woman!

Rather than high low mixups, Hawkgirl focuses on left right mixups (crossups). I never use sweep because it's punishable on block by a full combo from the whole cast. If you really want to use a low then use b22 and always cancel into we(2 if corner 3 if midscreen)/mc.