What's new

Injustice Zoning

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
He's actually correct. Zoning is controlling space. Keep-away is trying to defeat your opponent with (mostly) projectiles (or ranged attacks/normals) only and not allowing them to get close.
Dhalsim is a good character to reference as he does both.
Let me quote him again for you:
...Catwoman, Bane, and other rushdown characters do zone. In fact they zone all the time...
Maybe I live in the Bizarro world? :confused:

BaronVonRupert

"Mere child's play."
Technically they are the same thing though, but you are right. Superman can/does zone with lasers, it is just so strong (right now) that it people classify it as brain-dead.
no they are not. catwoman can zone with her j2. i'd like to see you play keep away with that.

Let me quote him again for you:

Maybe I live in the Bizarro world? :confused:
yes, you do. what he said is correct.

BaronVonRupert

"Mere child's play."
Let me laugh harder, lol.
Here, let me spell it out for you:
Most characters have a way to control space in the mid-far mid range. These are known as zoning tools.
SOME have such strong zoning tools that they can play Keep-away, these are the ones known as the "zoners" for short.
I shouldn't have wasted my time typing this, as there is no point in taking you seriously but i'm a nice guy so there you go.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
So now zoning means "control space", so everybody is a zoning char 'cause in fact all of them "control space" in someway? Ok.
Some characters can control more space than others, so when comparing characters some are said to have stronger zoning tools than others. In short though, yes, all characters can zone.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
Don't see why you're laughing, since you clearly don't understand exactly what zoning is.
Lol, you are twisting the meaning and you know it, there is a difference between rushdown and zoning chars, you're using the "control space" definition knowing that this thread is about the common definition that distinguishes rushing from zoning. GTFO.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
Most characters have a way to control space in the mid-far mid range. These are known as zoning tools.
SOME have such strong zoning tools that they can play Keep-away, these are the ones known as the "zoners" for short.
I shouldn't have wasted my time typing this, as there is no point in taking you seriously but i'm a nice guy so there you go.
dont need to spell anything, but keep trying, lol.

BaronVonRupert

"Mere child's play."
Lol, you are twisting the meaning and you know it, there is a difference between rushdown and zoning chars, you're using the "control space" definition knowing that this thread is about the common definition that distingues rushing from zoning. GTFO.
Seems like we're all in agreement sans you. Who's doing the twisting here?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Lol, you are twisting the meaning and you know it, there is a difference between rushdown and zoning chars, you're using the "control space" definition knowing that this thread is about the common definition that distingues rushing from zoning. GTFO.
Lol no.

Zoning, by definition, is keeping the opponent in a favorable position for yourself. By technicalities, every character zones you. Zoning isn't specifically keepaway. Like, with Reptile, I want to position you where I can properly set up forceballs into dash whiffs for offensive momentum. While I am looking to be offensive, I am still zoning you.

It's just terminology that's misused. I do it, as do others.

Zoning is a tactic in 2D fighters usually used at mid-range or far mid-range, the purpose of which is to out-prioritize your enemy's moves. The idea is to space yourself so that you are in a position to respond to or punish any entry angle or attack of your opponent's. Ideally, you can use certain pokes and attacks to beat your opponent's attacks, punish his advances or jumps, and hopefully shut down his offensive options, while landing hits. In attempting to zone, it is important to know the properties of your own attacks as well as the attacks of your opponent, in order to find the best move to use in countering your opponent's move. The ability to predict your opponent's next move, and having good reflexes to react to that move, are also important.

Straight out of the glossary of fighting games wiki. Now we can all stop feeding the troll and move on with life.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
To be fair, Bane gets the benefit of projectile immune dashes at level 3 venom... Only problem is its 6 seconds and certain attacks like MB lightning and minigun don't count as projectiles for some asenine reason. Also afterwards we take huge damage and get a lot slower overall. We have to do a lot of damage hopefully after making it that far across the screen with what little time we have and then run like hell and do it all over again.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Zoning is a tactic in 2D fighters usually used at mid-range or far mid-range, the purpose of which is to out-prioritize your enemy's moves. The idea is to space yourself so that you are in a position to respond to or punish any entry angle or attack of your opponent's. Ideally, you can use certain pokes and attacks to beat your opponent's attacks, punish his advances or jumps, and hopefully shut down his offensive options, while landing hits. In attempting to zone, it is important to know the properties of your own attacks as well as the attacks of your opponent, in order to find the best move to use in countering your opponent's move. The ability to predict your opponent's next move, and having good reflexes to react to that move, are also important.

Straight out of the glossary of fighting games wiki. Now we can all stop feeding the troll and move on with life.
That's an old entry, those terms now define "footsies" and "yomi". Zoning is now about how you can keep an opponent at a range where you can hit and they can't respond offensively. It's usually used to define usage of fireballs and projectiles from mid to far range as it provides the most benefit from there. At least that's what I gather from the OP.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
So why do rush down characters exist? According to what you say, they are simply offensive zoners. Every attack is, according to you, a zoning tool. Every character is a zoner, even ones like bane with no actual presence outside of d.1 range.

Generalization is a bad tool, especially when you consider the term isn't even applicable in certain titles. Go ask tekken players who the best zoner is and see if you get a response. There's a reason the term "footsies" exists, and it's pretty much the given definition of what "zoning" is at a close range. If you are going to parade your opinion like it matters then you should take a moment to consider that no one cares what you think it is, we aren't here for you. We are here for the original poster, and what he considers it. Is he wrong? No, not by most people's definition of it. Will he suddenly become incapable of functioning in the topic over the "misuse"? Doubtful, most people seemed to get it. Even you, since you took the time to say "no it's not that".

So what's the problem aside from you being a doucher for no good reason?

BaronVonRupert

"Mere child's play."
So why do rush down characters exist? According to what you say, they are simply offensive zoners. Every attack is, according to you, a zoning tool. Every character is a zoner, even ones like bane with no actual presence outside of d.1 range.

Generalization is a bad tool, especially when you consider the term isn't even applicable in certain titles. Go ask tekken players who the best zoner is and see if you get a response. There's a reason the term "footsies" exists, and it's pretty much the given definition of what "zoning" is at a close range. If you are going to parade your opinion like it matters then you should take a moment to consider that no one cares what you think it is, we aren't here for you. We are here for the original poster, and what he considers it. Is he wrong? No, not by most people's definition of it. Will he suddenly become incapable of functioning in the topic over the "misuse"? Doubtful, most people seemed to get it. Even you, since you took the time to say "no it's not that".

So what's the problem aside from you being a doucher for no good reason?
You're right and in hindsight it was a little harsh but honestly there's a large difference in what footsies and zoning are. Footsies is a very broad spectrum of things and that includes zoning. I don't believe every attack is a "zoning tool" but I do believe that certain pokes can fall into this category of controlling space at the mid range. I never said to take what I say at face value, as I'm not that great of a player in the first place, but he at least should have countered what I was saying rather than just say "lol" provoking me. So I believe my douchbaggery wasn't completely unfounded.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
You're right and in hindsight it was a little harsh but honestly there's a large difference in what footsies and zoning are. Footsies is a very broad spectrum of things and that includes zoning. I don't believe every attack is a "zoning tool" but I do believe that certain pokes can fall into this category of controlling space at the mid range. I never said to take what I say at face value, as I'm not that great of a player in the first place, but he at least should have countered what I was saying rather than just say "lol" provoking me.
It's reversed, zoning is the broad term while footsies is a case-by-case basis. Like how you guys are saying "terminology" when it's really "jargon". Also why does he have to counter anything when you are the aggressor in this situation?

Every character technically has "zoning", but not every character has good footsies against every other character. Some do, some don't. Not all characters even have footsies. Dhalsim, for example, is slow and his normals are all bad up close. He has to zone with fires and yoga sniper to make up for the lack of footsie game.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
...According to what you say, they are simply offensive zoners. Every attack is, according to you, a zoning tool. Every character is a zoner, even ones like bane with no actual presence outside of d.1 range...
Yes, to him and the other guys, "technically speaking", everybody is a zoning char... lol.