What's new

Injustice interview, pro players testing, easier to get into than Mortal Kombat

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
It's funny, I figured Injustice based on all the "depth" discussions would have been a steeper learning curve then MK especially with holding back to block that makes cross ups easier to implement vs. a block button.

I guess since there's less buttons to worry about vs. MK.

I'll play this game a ton online and off because NRS is awesome and I love DC almost as much as I do MK, despite the netcode, costumes etc. Let's face it, every game online lags so this I don't expect anyone to perfect any time soon.

As far as Injustice being easier then MK9 to adapt to, play, get into etc. That's always a GOOD thing because at the end of the day people have to remember while there's "hardcore" players "competitive" players(and let's face it most of us on here are) the casual mass will ALWAYS have priority and outnumber us, besides their voice matters too you have to look at it from NRS's perspective and WB's a "sale is a sale" at the end of the day, like with MK majority who own the game don't play it or take it as seriously as the people on here do so I think Injustice being more "pick up and play friendly" vs. MK(which is already a pretty easy pick up and play game compared to some other fighters) this is a good thing. You don't want someone buying it because they like DC comics then being like "wtf I have to spend a month learning how to play, fuck this!"

That is not a good thing and NRS knows this, props for making it easy to pick up guys.

This reminds me of the classic saying I like "Easy To play, Hard to Master" think about it...

I mean, baseball, football are easy sports to play run, catch a ball, throw a ball, hit a ball etc but can you DO it at a HIGH level and with EASE? Exactly....

colt

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
accessible does not equal mash and succeed. It's actually quite the opposite. Just like with MK9 and even more so in Injustice someone with a higher skillset and more game knowledge will obliterate someone of less caliber. That being said the game is easier to get into from a basics foundation if it is the very first time playing or you haven't played a fighting game before. I do think we've achieved a higher end cap to strive for this game but time will tell.

PoweredbyProtein

Eternal student
Doesn't make them good, it just allows the possibility of a fluke win by being able to mash out more damage. At the very least, it makes the lower-skilled player feel better because he lost by a smaller margin.
A masher will never get a fluke win against a good player or even come close to winning. If you can tell someone is mashing you can simply get a free fatal counter combo. Free stylish combo win.

PoweredbyProtein

Eternal student
I never even played Persona (because I'm from Europe), but by the looks of it Persona 4 offers you a basic combo that can be performed by pressing the same button multiple time and it is also viable and accessable if you're new to the game.
But judging by all the other shit the game seems to be offering in terms of mechanics and so on ... one has to be pretty damn weird to call that a button masher, where a scrub can defeat a pro. Ain't gonna happen.
The auto combo button gives you quite a bit of "blue health", so you lose a lot if you're hit. It also does only MAX 20% ish damage, with 50 meter. Yet somehow people will bitch about people using auto combo, when it isn't good.

Goku

Noob
How the game works sorta contradicts everything he is saying.

The power button doesn't really do anything awesome, except for Grundy, and Batman, everyone else it's just kinda buffs, or stance switching.

The games mechanics are too similar to MK for mashing to work, the combat engine is no where near fluid and natural enough for that to happen.

And well Injustice has a few gimmicky things like stage transitions, and the clash(which could go either way), it already seems to be a far deeper and better designed game then MK9 ever was.

All this is, is marketing speak to make casuals want to try the game.
That is quite an assumption to make considering you haven't even played the game yet :confused:

Dramatica

Forecast calls for missiles
Those were some pretty lackluster responses from Adam, but whatever. Remember, these dudes are trying to sell as many copies as possible, and we are actually a minority. It wouldn't surprise me at all if, despite knowing in their hearts that the game is deep and tournament-worthy, they purposely talk about it as if it will immediately be fun for anyone to pick up. I fully support any tactics used to sell more copies. I can tell they have worked hard. If the game fails it won't be for lack of trying.

They should get someone more articulate to do these Q&A interviews. Saying things like "This one, sort of has tournament potential" is unwise and can send the wrong message to certain people. It also shows an extreme lack of confidence on their part.
Personally, I think he meant the game is more user friendly than MK and more informative from the get-go to help get new players on their feet. Things I recall are that the training mode is vastly superior to MK, They also mentioned they have that feature where you select a certain special and it always pops out on the screen in case you forget, and the mini games which help your coordination and muscle memory. I don't think he meant this game is for casuals only, he just worded it wrong.

then again I could be wrong and the game really is just mindless casual fun.

They should get someone more articulate to do these Q&A interviews. Saying things like "This one, sort of has tournament potential" is unwise and can send the wrong message to certain people. It also shows an extreme lack of confidence on their part.
Personally, I think he meant the game is more user friendly than MK and more informative from the get-go to help get new players on their feet. Things I recall are that the training mode is vastly superior to MK, They also mentioned they have that feature where you select a certain special and it always pops out on the screen in case you forget, and the mini games which help your coordination and muscle memory. I don't think he meant this game is for casuals only, he just worded it wrong.

You should read Pako's posts on here.

Rabbit

thugs bunny
The auto combo button gives you quite a bit of "blue health", so you lose a lot if you're hit. It also does only MAX 20% ish damage, with 50 meter. Yet somehow people will bitch about people using auto combo, when it isn't good.
It's still guaranteed b&b into super off of pressing one button over and over again. I know it's not game breaking but it is still stupid imo.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I'm truly baffled how MKF30 has made seriously the best post in this thread

MKF30 this is a monumental achievement

He said what colt is trying to say and what point U guys are missing

EASY TO LEARN/PLAY.....HARD TO MASTER

accessibility = more sales
More sales = a happy NRS

Tons of things are easy in MK9 but only the top players use the tools on a pro level despite how easy they are

Kenshi bf2? F ing easy
Using it well? Up to the iq/skill of the player

In u I am pleased MKF

Goku

Noob

I would rather play a fan, mostly casual-based game than a serious tournament-only game TBH. I find I get quite bored in those fighting games, my mind drifts off. That is why I can only play SF for about 10 minutes lol, I lose interest pretty quick in it.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I never understood why execution barriers are a good thing. Someone explain that.

I'm very glad the game is accessible. Makes it casual friendly, means more friends to play with and more sales. I wonder how soon NRS will have a big hand in fighting games.

Goku

Noob
Those were some pretty lackluster responses from Adam, but whatever. Remember, these dudes are trying to sell as many copies as possible, and we are actually a minority. It wouldn't surprise me at all if, despite knowing in their hearts that the game is deep and tournament-worthy, they purposely talk about it as if it will immediately be fun for anyone to pick up. I fully support any tactics used to sell more copies. I can tell they have worked hard. If the game fails it won't be for lack of trying.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
If you want a fighter to be successful, it has to be accessible. And I mean successful on all fronts. From the casual market to the competitive player market. The tournament players should be grateful that the game is accessible, that means more pot monsters and more importantly, MORE COMPETITION! Accessibility means you can pick it up easily, it doesn't mean you can win easily.

Doesn't matter what game it is, losing to mashing is YOUR fault, not the games.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I'm truly baffled how MKF30 has made seriously the best post in this thread

MKF30 this is a monumental achievement

He said what colt is trying to say and what point U guys are missing

EASY TO LEARN/PLAY.....HARD TO MASTER

accessibility = more sales
More sales = a happy NRS

Tons of things are easy in MK9 but only the top players use the tools on a pro level despite how easy they are

Kenshi bf2? F ing easy
Using it well? Up to the iq/skill of the player

In u I am pleased MKF
lol thanks I guess? Not that I'm disagreeing with your responce(I'm not) I know how it works, despite my MK obsession. Besides, used to work a ton in retail (one job had to be in charge of the vid game section) so you learn a thing or two ;)

Surprisingly a lot of games out there follow that quote, but are either not popular enough to get that big or are simply overlooked I guess. Just remember dude, while I may be as opinionated as anyone else on here that is just that based on how I may see something, I don't want you to get that confused with "me knowing everything" or anything. I just feel this is something that is quite a simple concept based on what the testers are saying, vibe we as a community are getting and how the game apparently works.

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
I never understood why execution barriers are a good thing. Someone explain that.

I'm very glad the game is accessible. Makes it casual friendly, means more friends to play with and more sales. I wonder how soon NRS will have a big hand in fighting games.
I understand why people -like- execution barriers. But I think they really shouldn't be intrinsic to a game's core mechanics. Best way to satisfy most people is, imo, to have a game whose mechanics have a low execution barrier but include some characters designed in a way that rewards players for having amazing execution. An example being C. Viper of the SFIV series, with her potent and unique cancels and jump cancels.

I don't think that'd satisfy -everyone-, but I think I think it's a fair and balanced way to go.

Reactions: RYX

PoweredbyProtein

Eternal student
It's still guaranteed b&b into super off of pressing one button over and over again. I know it's not game breaking but it is still stupid imo.
That's fine, but I wasn't arguing as to whether it was stupid or not. I was saying that the auto-combo feature, or any mechanic that makes a game more accessible, will not let someone that doesn't know what they're doing, win or almost win against someone that's good. I digress at this point, this thread is about the interview.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
The problem I have with most of this is that all you have to do is look at the CoD series for the bad end of "accessibility". More people buy the game, the devs get lazy, and just start shitting out game after game with less content, lazy AI, easier/shallow gameplay, and more DLC. Assassin's Creed, Rainbow Six, Devil May Cry, Dead Space, Ninja Gaiden, and many more fell to the same fate.

I guess I'm just jaded because I'm tired of seeing great, challenging games being dumbed down for the masses to make more dosh.

I know NRS knows what they're doing, but I pray to Christ that they keep MK10 at the same skill ceiling or, dare I say, raise it a tiny bit. Casuals will buy it anyway just because Fatalities and story mode.

Reactions: RYX