What's new

Injustice interview, pro players testing, easier to get into than Mortal Kombat

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I would think the block button would be easier for newcomers, considering it blocks in both directions, so the player doesn't have to worry about crossups. Either way, I'm sure it's a minimal difference in difficulty.

Solo

Shadow Priest
It being easy to get into and accessible doesn't necessarily mean that at high levels the game is "easy". Example: SF4.
I agree.

Although, I must disagree with the example. SF is a hard game, at least to me.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
If it's too easy, wouldn't the hardcore players who seek challenges become bored?
They can lower the entry level without limiting the high-end depth. As long as there's plenty of depth for hardcore tournament players to explore and perfect, the lower the entry level, the better.

I just hope Injustice will have an awsome tutorial, that will teach from the basic up to some of the more advance stuff.. and if not guess I have to be relying on youtube videos then :/

trufenix

bye felicia
I know the FGC gets off on it, but we really should just stop pretending like casual / hardcore is a measurable thing. Plenty of people go to majors that suck, and plenty of people play casual who know the games inner workings. The execution bar should be low, so we can have more of all of that. People found depth in fucking dive kick, they can find it anywhere.

LEGEND

YES!
Wonder if these pro player they brought in will be allowed to enter tournaments in the first months of the games release.

I guess it depends on how much time they got to play it

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Block button isn't easier for new players because the block button is a visual "tell". Block button is a giveaway, which says to the opposing player "they're blocking, so do x.". If that opposing player is experienced then it will be brutal for the novice. With back to block, both players must think harder to decipher why they think their opponent Might block any given attack or why they might not block any particular attack.

Example, in SF4 a crouched player might be blocking or they might be buffering an attack. If you are the opposing player, you have only your experience and breakdown of the player's tendencies to decipher which is more likely. In addition to this, you have the safety of knowing that there are safe zones in which you can stand where you can mount a logical attack based on safe jumping and or throwing projectile or dashing. However, the other player also knows this (usually), and that's the challenge for both players: how do I defend and how do I attack--all while taking the least damage?

There aren't many positions in the game that pretty much spell out what decision you're supposed to make in order to win, which makes the game more fun. Example, in basketball how do you know which way to dribble on offense in order to get around a defender? You don't know, and sometimes you can't get around them. However, that doesn't mean that you cede possession (life) or position. It just means that you have to think smarter than your defender in order to make them change their strategy.
I don't fully agree, but considering the purpose of this thread isn't to dispute whether back-to-block is easier or harder than a block button, I'll just say that there are plenty of arguments to justify either viewpoint.

_CHINOCUDEIRO_

Machakabotones
what did you expect?? "hey,guys this game is just for pro's" c'mon.....it's just marketing, they need to say that the game is for everybody and easy to play to make more money

Cray

SHAZAM MTRFKRS.
There is no chance in hell injustice will be "too commercial" imho, it is a fighter after all, and will reward the one's who put the effort in. dot.
Hence; publicity and a bigger playerbase -> bigger audience -> esport -> bigger tourneys etc, etc.

All good in my book ;)

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
Just remember: when you make something more accessible and easier to get into, you shorten the skill gap between between professional and casual players. See: Call of Duty's garbage.

The only things MK9 did towards this was make all X-rays execute by just pressing 2 buttons simultaneously, and breakers. Injustice has the clash system and gimmick button. They most likely kept the 2-button ultra thing as well.

I'm not ragging on Injustice. All of the big tournament games have stupid shit like this (X-factor, dedicated Ultra meter, Netsu, etc). NRS did a good job balancing this with MK9, so I think they can do it again for Injustice. Personally, I'm just glad NRS doesn't have their head up their ass like most developers and actually listen to valid complaints from the fanbase. I'm still not sold on Injustice but I hope it does well.

VGB Joe Kerr

Insane Brilliance
That title makes me want to cancel my pre-order. If I wanted to play something where just anybody could pick the game up, mash on buttons, and be good I'd have kept playing persona arena.

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
As far as I can see, nothing he notes in the interview tells me that there are mechanics in place to facilitate a less-skilled player's victory. Simply mechanics to facilitate a new player understanding the game (they talk about picking moves from the command list to show on your screen, S.T.A.R. Labs intuitively teaching certain things via mission gimmicks, etc.).

As far as I can see, nothing he notes in the interview tells me that there are mechanics in place to facilitate a less-skilled player's victory. Simply mechanics to facilitate a new player understanding the game (they talk about picking moves from the command list to show on your screen, S.T.A.R. Labs intuitively teaching certain things via mission gimmicks, etc.).
Finally someone with brain.

PoweredbyProtein

Eternal student
That title makes me want to cancel my pre-order. If I wanted to play something where just anybody could pick the game up, mash on buttons, and be good I'd have kept playing persona arena.
Good one. This is how I know that someone's bad at fighting games. Even if a game is more accesible the more skilled player will always win. Explain how people mashing on buttons in persona made them good.

Justice

Noob
Good one. This is how I know that someone's bad at fighting games. Even if a game is more accesible the more skilled player will always win. Explain how people mashing on buttons in persona made them good.
Doesn't make them good, it just allows the possibility of a fluke win by being able to mash out more damage. At the very least, it makes the lower-skilled player feel better because he lost by a smaller margin.

I never even played Persona (because I'm from Europe), but by the looks of it Persona 4 offers you a basic combo that can be performed by pressing the same button multiple time and it is also viable and accessable if you're new to the game.
But judging by all the other shit the game seems to be offering in terms of mechanics and so on ... one has to be pretty damn weird to call that a button masher, where a scrub can defeat a pro. Ain't gonna happen.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
As far as I can see, nothing he notes in the interview tells me that there are mechanics in place to facilitate a less-skilled player's victory.
"Mortal Kombat was designed from the ground up to be a tournament level game. This one, sort of has tournament potential, but the barrier to entry is much lower."

"Through mashing, you can actually do quite a few cool things."

"And then the trait button just does something awesome. It might switch stances or do a powerful attack (like with Catwoman) just does something cool."

"And super moves, those big over the top moves, are just the two triggers and then interacting with the environment, which is a big part of the game, is always just one button."

Also, the clash system.

All I'm going to say is that if they make MK10 this baby-mode easy, I'm going to be fucking pissed. With that said, I will still buy Injustice if the netcode is good.

Barrier of entry "Much lower"? And it "SORT OF has tournament potential". This doesn't
inspire confidence. How do create a fighting game easier to play than MK9?

"Mortal Kombat was designed from the ground up to be a tournament level game. This one, sort of has tournament potential, but the barrier to entry is much lower."

"Through mashing, you can actually do quite a few cool things."

"And then the trait button just does something awesome. It might switch stances or do a powerful attack (like with Catwoman) just does something cool."

"And super moves, those big over the top moves, are just the two triggers and then interacting with the environment, which is a big part of the game, is always just one button."

Also, the clash system.
Most of that describes UMVC3...

L, M, H, S, L, M, H, S, QCF + ATK / ATK.
If that's not simple and accessable, then I don't know either, since that's basically a combo for every single character in the game and you do quite a lot of damage with that.

Throw in a little bit X-Factor and you're become the unstoppable Hulk, even if you're not playing that character.

The Clash System has the potential to add a shit load of mind games to the battles.

For now it looks like Injustice has way more to offer than MK9 and the actual question is ... will MK10 be able to compete with the Injustice mechanics, when it comes out, or will it offer you less variety and technology, because it wants to stay faithful to the source stuff.

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
The fact that injustice will be easier to get into MK9 is pretty dumb. Hopefully its not as easy to get randomed out, prolly won't because of back to block. Can't tell you how many times I get jumped on online and lose because of shit like that. Hopefully the anti airs are gonna be good in this game. Normals for anti airs sucked because of randomly getting hit out. Moves list looks like MK so combos shouldn't be too hard. Hopefully they do something about the environmental hazards or atleast make them punishable on block. I really hope this game is good in general. Hopefully Cyborg, Flash, GL, Aquaman, and Shazam are top tier.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
How the game works sorta contradicts everything he is saying.

The power button doesn't really do anything awesome, except for Grundy, and Batman, everyone else it's just kinda buffs, or stance switching.

The games mechanics are too similar to MK for mashing to work, the combat engine is no where near fluid and natural enough for that to happen.

And well Injustice has a few gimmicky things like stage transitions, and the clash(which could go either way), it already seems to be a far deeper and better designed game then MK9 ever was.

All this is, is marketing speak to make casuals want to try the game.

How the game works sorta contradicts everything he is saying.

The power button doesn't really do anything awesome, except for Grundy, and Batman, everyone else it's just kinda buffs, or stance switching.

The games mechanics are too similar to MK for mashing to work, the combat engine is no where near fluid and natural enough for that to happen.
Well, to him, switching stances and activating various buffs are awesome. Lol.

Well I´m not biggest fighting game fan, but when I hear "Through mashing, you can actually do quite a few cool things." it sound more like thanks to the trait button, easy to use supermove and the use of envoirment, you can with relative ease do stuff that look cool, that does not mean it will useful or easy to master just that it will look cool that all. That might just be me but that what I get from the text.