What's new

Incoming MK1 Balance Patch (Tomorrow, June 27)

Although it has assists, MK1 is still a 1v1 fighter, not a tag fighter. The combination of assists/offense in general is not nearly as potent as it is in vs. games where you can lose a character and still have another.

The offense in even Injustice was far more potent. Likewise with MKX. People are complaining about having to hold the smallest of mix and 80% of the pressure is strike/throw based without crossups, etc.

If the assists allowed you to set up INJ or MKX-level mixups, like most tag fighters, this argument would make far more sense. But as long as most kameos have some counterplay (ex., armor), there's not much to complain about. The fact that some people are trying to tone the offense down even further is surpsing for an MK game.
How is " i should be able to blow you up for mindlessly calling goro/kano/whoever" toning things down? I'm all for buffing up the lower tiers and giving them complete kits. The simple fact is that you can 100% have the read on your opponent, and often can do fuck all about it. This happens in every fighting game, it happens a LOT in mk1.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Just the fact that the game has a Block Button has been enough to turn off many of my friends who are into other fighting games, just imagine what NRS would need to do to make it as appealing to everyone as SF or Tekken
Yeah it’s not as popular within the FGC, and a big reason for that is how much different it is to every other fighting game. But outside of the FGC, MK games seem to be among the most popular fighting games. And they always sell very well, so I don’t think they’re all that worried tbh.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Yeah it’s not as popular within the FGC, and a big reason for that is how much different it is to every other fighting game. But outside of the FGC, MK games seem to be among the most popular fighting games. And they always sell very well, so I don’t think they’re all that worried tbh.
Honestly, I think there's room to be much more popular than we are in the FGC. But for that to happen, we need to stop shooting our own competitive community in the foot.

Like, SF5 shipped in a massively incomplete state, and people were upset about it, but they still came out and supported their scene while being unhappy with the game and meta. No matter how they feel about the state of their game, they will still prop their competitive scene up anyway.

The MK community now seems to have a lot of people who weren't going to play the games seriously anyway, but sit at home and try to discourage others from coming out. If you notice, these people rarely say anything positive about tournaments or actual competitors, and they don't pitch in at all to support anyone or build the scene.

So I think we just need to learn to separate these things, and to be able to criticize constructively rather than destructively. If we intentionally discourage pot monsters from showing up, they won't.

Also why is everybody so hung up on other communities , when did this start because ive been here the whole time and people used to not give a fuck what people who didnt play our game thought

I'm not home to test the Havik change for two weeks but I'm pretty psyched about it.

22 and f1+3 actually has mix potential and the shorter recovery may make it easier for kameo kombos. It was kinda finicky before because of Havik having to get his fat ass off the ground so slowly

I think labeling the meta of MK1 (and MK11) as "strike, throw, low poke" is just too reductive.

It'd be like describing the meta of Virtua Fighter as "just Block, Strike, Throw."
Or for that matter, DoA tutorial literally spells out it's meta this way.

MK1 meta is built on the fundamental building blocks and foundation of 1v1 fighters oh no NRS exposed.

I'm not home to test the Havik change for two weeks but I'm pretty psyched about it.

22 and f1+3 actually has mix potential and the shorter recovery may make it easier for kameo kombos. It was kinda finicky before because of Havik having to get his fat ass off the ground so slowly

Or for that matter, DoA tutorial literally spells out it's meta this way.

MK1 meta is built on the fundamental building blocks and foundation of 1v1 fighters oh no NRS exposed.
Yeah i was messing a little with haviks f13 string with darius , you have time to dash up f4 while the overhead darius comes out

Honestly, I think there's room to be much more popular than we are in the FGC. But for that to happen, we need to stop shooting our own competitive community in the foot.

Like, SF5 shipped in a massively incomplete state, and people were upset about it, but they still came out and supported their scene while being unhappy with the game and meta. No matter how they feel about the state of their game, they will still prop their competitive scene up anyway.

The MK community now seems to have a lot of people who weren't going to play the games seriously anyway, but sit at home and try to discourage others from coming out. If you notice, these people rarely say anything positive about tournaments or actual competitors, and they don't pitch in at all to support anyone or build the scene.

So I think we just need to learn to separate these things, and to be able to criticize constructively rather than destructively. If we intentionally discourage pot monsters from showing up, they won't.
I can think of one certain guy that fits the description:laughing:

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S

While i agree with you and SF5 was a shit release at launch. SF5 had the capcom cup and a history of long term support. Correct me if i am wrong but hasn't MK/NRS changed the pot pool for their events. MK9 had many capcom people playing it and i feel that was because of MLG.
Capcom has a lot of love from their events but they also didn't change the prize pool more then once.

EDIT: it also doesn't have anything to do with who takes the game serious or casual players. MK sells just on those casuals regardless of TYM / Former MKU discord and other pro players X/Twitter accounts. Issue is the retention for most. MK9 and MKX at one point had that.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
While i agree with you and SF5 was a shit release at launch. SF5 had the capcom cup and a history of long term support. Correct me if i am wrong but hasn't MK/NRS changed the pot pool for their events. MK9 had many capcom people playing it and i feel that was because of MLG.
Capcom has a lot of love from their events but they also didn't change the prize pool more then once.

EDIT: it also doesn't have anything to do with who takes the game serious or casual players. MK sells just on those casuals regardless of TYM / Former MKU discord and other pro players X/Twitter accounts. Issue is the retention for most. MK9 and MKX at one point had that.
The thing is, SF has always supported their scene, even during the dark ages where a number of questionable games were released and they got no love from Capcom.

At EVO 2008 they were out in force playing 3rd strike, which was nearly a 10-year old game by that point.

They've never depended on external pot bonuses to show up, they just come out and support their community. So they absolutely deserve everything they're getting atm.

CanoCano

Noob
The thing is, SF has always supported their scene, even during the dark ages where a number of questionable games were released and they got no love from Capcom.

At EVO 2008 they were out in force playing 3rd strike, which was nearly a 10-year old game by that point.

They've never depended on external pot bonuses to show up, they just come out and support their community. So they absolutely deserve everything they're getting atm.
Yeah sadly NRS doesn't really have this outside of UMK3/MKT on Fightcade (and even that can be SA only a lot of the time) and MKX/MK11, not for the 3D Games or MK2 or MK4 or MK9 nada

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Yeah sadly NRS doesn't really have this outside of UMK3/MKT on Fightcade (and even that can be SA only a lot of the time) and MKX/MK11, not for the 3D Games or MK2 or MK4 or MK9 nada
It doesn't have much to do with NRS tbh. If a community loves the game they'll play it with or without the devs support. You could play Deception or Deadly Alliance online right now with the Dolphin emulator, but who's gonna play with you?

CanoCano

Noob
It doesn't have much to do with NRS tbh. If a community loves the game they'll play it with or without the devs support. You could play Deception or Deadly Alliance online right now with the Dolphin emulator, but who's gonna play with you?
Yeah that's the point i was trying to make, for all the song and praise i see for the Midway titles i have a hard time finding games on any of them outside UMK3/MKT which is a real bummer
Makes me wonder just how much of the praise is nostalgia driven even if i do genuienly enjoy playing those games from time to time

haketh

Noob
Theirs actually a small but growing scene for this in a couple discord haha. Hopefully we'll get more and more updates for Netplay on Dolphin and PCSX2 so it can grow more.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
How hype would it be if there was an MK game where instead of Kameos/Variations, you could choose different past or present game versions of the character. Obviously some tweaking around the edges and normalization or changes to account for universal game mechanic changes like Krushing Blows, meter, breakaway, flawless block, etc, but overall characters from each game get to keep their moves and most of their frame data/damage.
I like this idea