What's new

"I'm In A Nightmare" -- Batman General Discussion Thread

Well I wouldn't even say he's necessarily overpowered. A lot of characters in this game seem to have some really great stuff; however, it's hard to deny that he looks extremely good on paper.

And I do hope nobody interprets my Batman hype as a cry for nerfs -- it's actually the opposite. I'm extremely impressed at how well handled this character is and I actually hope every other character has this many tools worth discussing and hypothesizing about. There's so much to talk about with Batman and if the rest of the cast can get anywhere near his level of potential depth, then we're in for one hell of a fighter.

The other character forums need to be digging into characters like this haha. I'd love to discuss some WW and Captain Marvel when he's released.
That is true! I checked out the show, and from what you guys said Green Arrow seems a bit ridiculous as well.

KiD INsAnitY

Z of The Leaf -Team R.A.N
Where is the 1st show? I'm using my phone so if its on twitch then i can't watch it cause twitch on a phone is shitty but if its on YouTube that would be cool

Looks like I'll be using the Street Fighter inputs. SFxT has a similar feature where the comands are simplified. For example, instead of QCF+P, your command becomes D,F+P. This is how it will work most likely in Injustice, and it gave me some ideas.

The iput for the Scatters Bombs is D,B+(?). Using Street Fighter commands it will most likely be QCB+(?). Now in SF any special that can be done in the air can be Tiger Knee'd. Basically you just add UF or UB to your command, and it will let you do the special the moment you leave the ground. In a nutshell it's an easier way of doing instant air specials, and the command will become QCB,UB+(?).

If Batman can Tiger Knee his Scatter Bombs it will make his defensive game, and air control hella good.

Thoughts? Phase 3 quandaghost KiD INsAnitY TotteryManx

Phase 3

Feels Good Man
If Batman can Tiger Knee his Scatter Bombs it will make his defensive game, and air control hella good.

Well being able to TK Scatter Bombs is absolutely worth testing but it's viability depends on a few factors. First thing I'll check, as I mentioned before, is canceling jumps as early possible using glide hoping for the ability to do Arthur-style UMvC3 instant overheads. If I can't do that, Scatter Bombs can either be really good or mediocre depending on their frame data.

If they're positive on block then they're going to be awesome because you can mix it into your pressure game and set up some really dangerous frame traps. If the ability isn't particularly safe we'll be out of luck but it's absolutely a theory worth testing. Batman man... so many possibilities.

Well being able to TK Scatter Bombs is absolutely worth testing but it's viability depends on a few factors. First thing I'll check, as I mentioned before, is canceling jumps as early possible using glide hoping for the ability to do Arthur-style UMvC3 instant overheads. If I can't do that, Scatter Bombs can either be really good or mediocre depending on their frame data.

If they're positive on block then they're going to be awesome because you can mix it into your pressure game and set up some really dangerous frame traps. If the ability isn't particularly safe we'll be out of luck but it's absolutely a theory worth testing. Batman man... so many possibilities.
The recovery of the Scatter Bombs got me thinking about TKing them.
Take a look at this gif:​
Notice the float down during the recovery frames. TK will eliminate this because your most likely vulnerable when floating down. Will also make it much safer.​

Phase 3

Feels Good Man
The recovery of the Scatter Bombs got me thinking about TKing them.
Take a look at this gif:​
Notice the float down during the recovery frames. TK will eliminate this because your most likely vulnerable when floating down. Will also make it much safer.​
Yeah but what I mean is, what if it doesn't give as much frame advantage (if any) as another normal string or special move? That's what I'm wondering. If Batman has a couple strings that end in great frame advantage then I think it'd get outshined a little. If pokes become a huge deal in this game it could be a nice way to punish them though. I really think frame data will determine the viability of this move.

Batman certainly doesn't need AA help, that's for sure, with upward projectiles, two counters, a grappler gun and remote bats. Jumping in on Batman is suicide.

Yeah but what I mean is, what if it doesn't give as much frame advantage (if any) as another normal string or special move? That's what I'm wondering. If Batman has a couple strings that end in great frame advantage then I think it'd get outshined a little. If pokes become a huge deal in this game it could be a nice way to punish them though. I really think frame data will determine the viability of this move.

Batman certainly doesn't need AA help, that's for sure, with upward projectiles, two counters, a grappler gun and remote bats. Jumping in on Batman is suicide.
That's true. On hit it's good without a question. From what I've seen it looks like it causes a hard knockdown on hit, and that's always good.

However, remember Batman's hero trait can make unsafe moves safe! :D

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
Looks like I'll be using the Street Fighter inputs. SFxT has a similar feature where the comands are simplified. For example, instead of QCF+P, your command becomes D,F+P. This is how it will work most likely in Injustice, and it gave me some ideas.

The iput for the Scatters Bombs is D,B+(?). Using Street Fighter commands it will most likely be QCB+(?). Now in SF any special that can be done in the air can be Tiger Knee'd. Basically you just add UF or UB to your command, and it will let you do the special the moment you leave the ground. In a nutshell it's an easier way of doing instant air specials, and the command will become QCB,UB+(?).

I can see it working similar to how akuma can instant air fb his opponents. I can also see that keeping characters with bad back dashes in place, and granting free chip when it's respected.

I also have a question to pose. Lets say batman summons those bats around him on a hard knock down right. Then calls the bats to attack the opponent ( if that is possible I don't really know) Technically that would make his glide so much more deadly and set-up a great ambiguous cross-up, and mind game. The thoughts came from watching guilty gear, and MVC3 where characters will use projectiles to keep the opponent in place on wake-up and have the great air mobility to open up the opponent. Think of Characters like Milia Rage, or Vergil with an assist like doom missiles.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about the bat robot thing though.
@Phase 3 @KiD INsAnitY @TotteryManx your thoughts

Phase 3

Feels Good Man
I also have a question to pose. Lets say batman summons those bats around him on a hard knock down right. Then calls the bats to attack the opponent ( if that is possible I don't really know) Technically that would make his glide so much more deadly and set-up a great ambiguous cross-up, and mind game. The thoughts came from watching guilty gear, and MVC3 where characters will use projectiles to keep the opponent in place on wake-up and have the great air mobility to open up the opponent. Think of Characters like Milia Rage, or Vergil with an assist like doom missiles.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about the bat robot thing though.
You mean send out the bats in order to force a block and thus prevent any potential retaliation to your jump in? I was considering this as well, but at the moment I actually don't know whether you can shoot the bats in the air. I hope so, but if not you might not have enough time after shooting the bats to do a completely protected jump. If you can fire them in the air, or if you can jump only a couple frames after they're sent, then yeah you should absolutely be able to do it.

If you have someone who stuffs your jump-ins it could be a good strategy. I think, given that the remote bats can extend combos, allow you to take even riskier gambles, and can counter with a popup that starts combos, it might be one of the tertiary uses given that Batman's jump-in game is already so good. When you can already threaten someone with an air projectile, glide shenanigans to do crossups/force whiffed anti airs and more, I don't think many people will feel safe trying to AA him anyway. I'm really impressed with the versatility of his trait. I think you'll be able to play Batman a ton of different ways too; zoning, turtle, rushdown, etc.

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
You mean send out the bats in order to force a block and thus prevent any potential retaliation to your jump in? I was considering this as well, but at the moment I actually don't know whether you can shoot the bats in the air. I hope so, but if not you might not have enough time after shooting the bats to do a completely protected jump. If you can fire them in the air, or if you can jump only a couple frames after they're sent, then yeah you should absolutely be able to do it.

If you have someone who stuffs your jump-ins it could be a good strategy. I think, given that the remote bats can extend combos, allow you to take even riskier gambles, and can counter with a popup that starts combos, it might be one of the tertiary uses given that Batman's jump-in game is already so good. When you can already threaten someone with an air projectile, glide shenanigans to do crossups/force whiffed anti airs and more, I don't think many people will feel safe trying to AA him anyway. I'm really impressed with the versatility of his trait. I think you'll be able to play Batman a ton of different ways too; zoning, turtle, rushdown, etc.
Exactly. I feel like if those bats could do that the potential mix-up off of them pays a big off big time. Like you know how in sf4 Akuma can instant airfb, and the fb will cross up granting another combo and a hard knockdown. I was thinking maybe he could do the same thing out of a tiger kneed scatter bomb. Now imagine being in the corner with Batman already having impressive air abilities, and now you have to worry about his fb crossing you up for another hard knock down. Or how the bats would keep you locked down for more pressure, or a safe jump parry set-up if you just want to keep them around you. Not only do you now have to totally respect his jump ins but now a hard knock down becomes a life or death guess.
This is just me theory fighting from playing other games, and my knowledge of how they work in comparison.

From what I've seen the bats track to the opponent. Using the bats will definitely be a huge part of Batman's gameplay once we sink out teeth into the metagame.

Let's say for the sake of argument that the Scatter Bombs leave you completely vulnerable(they should) during its recovery. You could always have your remote bats guarding your ass, which will cause a lot of hesitation. Batman will be able to play multiple way for sure.

Phase 3 quandaghost

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
From what I've seen the bats track to the opponent. Using the bats will definitely be a huge part of Batman's gameplay once we sink out teeth into the metagame.

Let's say for the sake of argument that the Scatter Bombs leave you completely vulnerable(they should) during its recovery. You could always have your remote bats guarding your ass, which will cause a lot of hesitation. Batman will be able to play multiple way for sure.

Phase 3 quandaghost
Hmm I feel like it wouldn't or shouldn't leave you anymore vulnerable than Akuma or Ibuki. I think once we learn how to apply it we will be using similarly in mix-ups and set-ups like this. Go to 3:24 end at 3:33
the only problem being is it causes hard knock downs by itself from what I have read here.

Phase 3

Feels Good Man
Hmm I feel like it wouldn't or shouldn't leave you anymore vulnerable than Akuma or Ibuki. I think once we learn how to apply it we will be using similarly in mix-ups and set-ups like this.

the only problem being is it causes hard knock downs by itself from what I have read here.
Actually, I don't think mixups exactly like Akuma's will be possible because the Scatterbombs stop his forward momentum completely which means he wouldn't be able to crossup afterwards. Additionally, they don't cause a knockdown at all when they hit someone that's standing. The opponent simply goes into a stagger animation for a little (what I'm assuming is) frame advantage. On hit it seems sort of like Mileena's telekick on standing characters.

0:46

Even the most recent gameplay vids seem to show that there have been no changes to Scatterbomb in this regard.

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
Actually, I don't think mixups exactly like Akuma's will be possible because the Scatterbombs stop his forward momentum completely which means he wouldn't be able to crossup afterwards. Additionally, they don't cause a knockdown at all when they hit someone that's standing. The opponent simply goes into a stagger animation for a little (what I'm assuming is) frame advantage. On hit it seems sort of like Mileena's telekick on standing characters.

0:46

Even the most recent gameplay vids seem to show that there have been no changes to Scatterbomb in this regard.
ohh ok im still trying my best to see what every character with gameplay vids can do. well that does change alot.

Hmm I feel like it wouldn't or shouldn't leave you anymore vulnerable than Akuma or Ibuki. I think once we learn how to apply it we will be using similarly in mix-ups and set-ups like this. Go to 3:24 end at 3:33
Don't forget that the motion is d,b so that means the jump arc will be going UB. I'm thinking more defensive tactics.

Now any character who can TK a horizontal fireball will have superior zoning & anti-zoning. You see how Akuma finishes his jump arc after the fireball is thrown? Well if a character has a horizontal fireball they can jump the incoming fireball, move closer to the opponent, and have a fireball on screen all in the same motion. If your familiar with SFxT Raven can do this very easily with his ninja stars.

KiD INsAnitY

What about his Batarangs haven't heard much about them. I would guess they would act just like Jades Boomerang and if that's true Ex Batarang could potentially be another combo extender along with his flying bots. Bat is definitely gonna have some unique combos across differnt players.And sorry I couldnt join the convo early I'm not that familiar with SF

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
I'm not 100% on any of that. I haven't seen enough footage to form a solid opinion, but it's definitely interesting. The only thing I will comment on is how godlike his glide will be. I'm expecting Batman to be top tier in the early stages of the game simply because of the mind games that possess's. He will have the ability to cancel and fake crossups etc. etc. with that tool. He'll be the Kung Lao of MK in my opinion.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Also, I'm not too clear on how the controls work. Everyone is talking like in MK you press down, then forward to execute certain moves. Well I've always used qc motions in MK, so I don't understand what the significant difference in controls will be.

colt said one difference would be if you're holding down you wouldn't need to return to neutral to perform certain moves. For example(if I'm correct) if I'm holding down to duck I can't blade charge with Baraka without quickly returning to neutral. I believe that is what Pako means. Hopefully he can come in hear and touch on the subject just a tad more without giving away too much information.

KiD INsAnitY

Yea I never actually press the directional buttons individually to perform specials I always do a slide motion with my thumb. But I feel they added that option to make playing on a stick easier.