What's new

"I'm In A Nightmare" -- Batman General Discussion Thread

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
I don't know how I missed videos of him gliding like that. :eek: I plan on maining ol' Bruce on day one, so I can't wait to play around with that. Using the glide can really open up the mind games for crossups and such.

If you can detonate the bombs at will that would be tight lol.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
KiD INsAnitY
Look at the Cross-Up kick Batman uses to start this combo. Just imagine him starting this combo from a hard knockdown situation. In theory his options would be;
-Cross-Up kick​
-Glide (Forward or Backward) the attack​
-Jump in attack​
-Empty Jump > Attack/Throw​

Borrowed from TotteryManx 's GDLK sig :D
I can totally see the glide being similar to KL's divekick. He can attempt a crossup or choose to escape mid air via glide. This really opens up a lot of doors.

I don't know how I missed videos of him gliding like that. :eek: I plan on maining ol' Bruce on day one, so I can't wait to play around with that. Using the glide can really open up the mind games for crossups and such.

If you can detonate the bombs at will that would be tight lol.
I'm a Batman WHORE bro lol! Nobody beats the Batman in my eyes.

Even with that ugly stance, he's still going to be my day 1 main.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
I'm curious to see if he has anymore gadgets at his disposal? We've all seen the batarang, bombs, and rope thing lol. I wonder if there is another gem.

Phase 3

Feels Good Man
You should check out InjusticeLive Episode 1. We do a pretty comprehensive breakdown of everything we know about Batman so far. You can find timestamps under the embedded videos so you can jump right to the Batman section.

http://www.testyourmight.com/threads/injusticelive-episode-1-archive-and-discussion.27451/

Anyway, you're absolutely right. His glide appears to be one of the very best mobility tools in (and I know this is a bold statement, but I'm going to say it) fighting game history. Because his glide can be held as long as he wants and you can followup with a normal, it means attempting to anti-air Batman is going to be extremely risky. If you try to anti-air him with a standing normal (like standing 1 or 2), he can delay his jump by a few frames by gliding, make you whiff your anti-air and punish with a normal (which may or may not be a crossup from gliding). Also, if you have a high-priority dragonpunch or AA tool, Batman can instead choose to stuff it (assuming it wins the priority war) with his Air Projectile (scatterbombs).

I'm assuming that against most of the cast Batman gets free jump ins. This of course is all compounded by the fact that it's an excellent way around zoning as well. Batman might even be able to set up for a nasty vortex because his Cape Parry appears to leave the opponent in a knockdown state at his feet.

I like his Hero trait with the 3 robo-bats. I woulder if you can release them when you get punished to act as a pseudo combo breaker, but I doubt it lol.
Probably not; however, you can use the bats to make yourself safe so you're not even punished in the first place. If you throw out a laggy normal or special you can send out the bats during your recovery to prevent any punish. I know this works with the Bats as projectiles but it remains to be seen whether you can use the combo-granting counter during normals/specials. If so then Batman is seriously going to get away with murder.

We went over the glide and a lot more on InjusticeLive. If you have a few minutes you should check it out (or at least the Batman section) because we got pretty in-depth with this guy. Episode 2 is tomorrow night at 11pm if you check out the first Ep and end up liking it.

Phase 3

Feels Good Man
I gotta check you guys out! Wait, the parry works against normals?
He sort of has two "parries" and since both actually work against normals, I'll just explain the differences.

His Character Trait, the robot bats, can be used as a projectile or as a counter. During the counter they spin around him really quickly and if the opponent touches Batman they get popped up for a combo. The projectiles can be used to make yourself safe, to extend combos, or simply to zone.

He also has Cape Parry in which he drapes his cape across his body and if you attack him with a normal (I haven't seen it used against a projectile in gameplay footage, only normals), he does somewhat of a martial arts takedown (sort of like Arkham Asylum/City Takedowns). This leaves the opponent at Batman's feet.

I saw a couple vids of it being used, I'll see if I can find one of them to post here.

Edit: Found it. Go to 2:28

So in this vid, around 2:28, we see Batman keep using the Cape Parry at the end of the vid to close out the match. He finally lands it and we get to see the resulting takedown. We still don't know what EX does (grants a combo? works on projectiles?) or whether this works on all normals, but it looks like yet another solid tool that could set up for a nasty vortex. Once again, people are going to have to respect Batman far too much in this game haha.

KiD INsAnitY

Z of The Leaf -Team R.A.N
I notice Catwomen can use her whip as a sorta AA to drag her opponents out the air i wounder if Batman can do something similar with his rope how he uses is to pull himself toward the opponent or maybe he can use it in the air as like a dive kick

Phase 3

Feels Good Man
I notice Catwomen can use her whip as a sorta AA to drag her opponents out the air i wounder if Batman can do something similar with his rope how he uses is to pull himself toward the opponent or maybe he can use it in the air as like a dive kick
Batman has two versions of the grapple and both can only be used on the ground. The standard one goes horizontally and kicks enemies away if it makes contact. The EX version (1 bar) is like a reverse Scorpion spear that grants a combo. Instead of kicking them away, Batman skids to a halt in front of them and you get a combo. The Anti-Air grappling hook is similar; normal version slams them down, EX slams them down and they bounce up for a combo.

You should check out the Batman discussion in InjusticeLive as well, we talk about every single special, EX versions, advanced tech and more.

Phase 3
From gameplay videos I've seen that the robo-bats don't disappear when hit, but I doubt you can realease them in hitstun.
Oh yeah, I highly doubt you can use them as a combo breaker; however, you can use them during the lag of your own normals/specials. As long as you're in control you can shoot them off, which means you really shouldn't even get punished as long as you have them anyway. Do a laggy normal or punishable special? Shoot out a bat at the end and make them think twice about punishing it.

Best part is, he can summon bats even if he only has one which means you'll have a get out of jail free card all the time.

Phase 3

Feels Good Man
Looks like he gets enough advantage for a Cross-Up attempt.
Batman does indeed look almost too solid. When jumping in on him you have to fear an anti-air projectile, an anti-air grapple gun that can combo for a meter, a cape parry and his remote bats that can either shoot you out of the sky or circle him for a combo-granting parry. This isn't even mentioning the possibility of him having a good AA normal.

Then, when Batman jumps in, he can cross you up and fake crossups with glide, delay his jump to make anti-airs whiff or rain scatterbombs down on you. It almost does in fact seem like vanilla Kung Lao syndrome in that people will just be afraid to do anything to this guy.

You can't even dash in on him and feel safe because he has a grappling gun, batarangs and two parries.

I also noticed he has a really cool normal string in which he cuts you with batarangs then sticks them in the ground where they'll explode after a second. If the first hit connects the opponent gets popped up and juggled by the exploding batarangs on the floor, but I wonder how this string functions on block. If he still plants the batarangs that sounds like a great string because upon planting them he does an evasive backwards roll.

Also, in terms of pressure and vortex shenanigans, I wonder if he can cancel his jump low to the ground with his glide or if it can only be used after reaching a certain height. Some of the airdashes in the game look like they can be used fairly low to the ground so it's definitely something I plan to test immediately. Glidecanceling could become ridiculous... like Marvel instant overhead ridiculous depending on if they let you do it low enough to the ground. Hell, even if they don't let you do it close to the ground, jumping and using glide and immediately releasing to cancel your forward momentum is a great enough crossup fake in itself. Still... if usable low to the ground... watch out.

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
Batman's glide kinda reminds me of Milia from GG. She had double dashes so she could essentially double cross you up, or jump and dash one way then dash back to confuse your inputs. Batman looks like he is gonna have a really strong corner game though.

Based on what the Russian players said The Flash is levels above all the other characters that were originally announced. Imagine how powerful he is lol.

Batman is indeed overpowered at the moment, but we should play the game until we are sure what needs balance. We all know what happened with characters from peoples complaints in MK9.

Phase 3

Feels Good Man
Batman is indeed overpowered at the moment, but we should play the game until we are sure what needs balance. We all know what happened with characters from peoples complaints in MK9.
Well I wouldn't even say he's necessarily overpowered. A lot of characters in this game seem to have some really great stuff; however, it's hard to deny that he looks extremely good on paper.

And I do hope nobody interprets my Batman hype as a cry for nerfs -- it's actually the opposite. I'm extremely impressed at how well handled this character is and I actually hope every other character has this many tools worth discussing and hypothesizing about. There's so much to talk about with Batman and if the rest of the cast can get anywhere near his level of potential depth, then we're in for one hell of a fighter.

The other character forums need to be digging into characters like this haha. I'd love to discuss some WW and Captain Marvel when he's released.

KiD INsAnitY

Z of The Leaf -Team R.A.N
Well I wouldn't even say he's necessarily overpowered. A lot of characters in this game seem to have some really great stuff; however, it's hard to deny that he looks extremely good on paper.

And I do hope nobody interprets my Batman hype as a cry for nerfs -- it's actually the opposite. I'm extremely impressed at how well handled this character is and I actually hope every other character has this many tools worth discussing and hypothesizing about. There's so much to talk about with Batman and if the rest of the cast can get anywhere near his level of potential depth, then we're in for one hell of a fighter.

The other character forums need to be digging into characters like this haha. I'd love to discuss some WW and Captain Marvel when he's released.
That's what I'm saying he every other character has nearly as many tools as the Bat Injustice will we beyond a great fighter