What's new

"I win. I always win." - The Official General Zod Discussion Thread

NHDR

Noob
So, back to playing Injustice after a very long hiatus. I've been putting in time to learn Zod, wanted to post what I've been doing and possibly receive feedback from you guys? So...

-Using the gun for sporadic zoning
-Activating trait after an air krypton rifle MB
-After trait grab, I do B3 - J3 - 123 xx phantom strike (or zod charge)
-After trait grab if I'm too far away to dash, I do regular laser so my opponent falls into it
-I use zod charge as a punish tool

Basically, I cover my tracks with the gun or rifle until I can activate trait, then I try to apply pressure. I'm limited to training mode for now because Zod has so many options and they're not yet ingrained into my muscle memory. What am I missing? What can I work on? Thanks.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
So, back to playing Injustice after a very long hiatus. I've been putting in time to learn Zod, wanted to post what I've been doing and possibly receive feedback from you guys? So...

-Using the gun for sporadic zoning
-Activating trait after an air krypton rifle MB
-After trait grab, I do B3 - J3 - 123 xx phantom strike (or zod charge)
-After trait grab if I'm too far away to dash, I do regular laser so my opponent falls into it
-I use zod charge as a punish tool

Basically, I cover my tracks with the gun or rifle until I can activate trait, then I try to apply pressure. I'm limited to training mode for now because Zod has so many options and they're not yet ingrained into my muscle memory. What am I missing? What can I work on? Thanks.
You should be doing fully charged regular laser, b+3, j.3, 1,2,3 xx phantom strike / Zod charge after bite every time.

At point blank range, I do fully charged close laser, j.2 slow Zod ball, j.2 fast Zod ball, dash 1,2,3 xx phantom strike / Zod charge.

These two combos also ignore Aquaman's trait.

Against some characters like Sinestro, finishing combos with 1,2,3 and charging regular laser is really useful as you want to fight Sinestro at mid range.

I would work on zoning and the vortex (i.e., everything related up close using the trait).

NHDR

Noob
Are there any other things I absolutely need in order to have a decent Zod? I've been going through all the information and there's just too much that I can't isolate what's most vital. Pretty much I just want to cover his fundamentals, I'll integrate his setups once I become comfortable. Thanks! :)

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Are there any other things I absolutely need in order to have a decent Zod? I've been going through all the information and there's just too much that I can't isolate what's most vital. Pretty much I just want to cover his fundamentals, I'll integrate his setups once I become comfortable. Thanks! :)
Because the entire game revolves around simple mix ups, knowing the vortex is a necessity. Zod is primarily a zoning / run away character until trait is activated. Zod is arguably the most trait dependent character in the game. You have to know when to activate the trait safely in order to apply mix ups.

Speaking of mix ups, the most basic mix up is between f+2, a low attack, and bite, an overhead attack in trait that must be blocked standing. You can, for example, activate trait, perform a Zod charge to get in, tap 4 to make the charge safe, and do a 50/50 mix up between f+2,1,u+2 + combo or bite + combo. If f+2,1,u+2 is blocked, tap 4 to be safe. The bite is never safe on block, though.

You can also combo f+2 into bite by doing 4, N, f+2, d+4. "N" stands for "neutral" and requires you not to touch any buttons on the pad for a very short period. An example of an offensive combination could be performing a Zod charge to get in and then tapping 4, N, f+2, d+4 + combo.

In addition, the bite can be canceled into from a forward or back dash. You can take advantage of this cancel by doing a full screen mix up between far full charged low laser / dash canceled bite, or even up close after any string.

Your opponents will generally not want to play the guessing game, so they will use push block, which can be "punished" by tapping 4 in trait and immediately doing MB b+3 afterwards. The armor of the MB b+3 will absorb the "push" of the push block.

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
Scrubby question, day 1 Zod right now, how do you cancel strings into trait grab like f2, d4. I see m2daves post above me saying that that's the input but when I try it I just get the trait swipe and it doesn't cancel into grabs.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Scrubby question, day 1 Zod right now, how do you cancel strings into trait grab like f2, d4. I see m2daves post above me saying that that's the input but when I try it I just get the trait swipe and it doesn't cancel into grabs.
You have to kara-cancel the swipe of the trait.

1. For one-hitting moves, you swipe first, wait a very short period, press the command and tap and hold d+4. For example, in order to cancel f+2 to bite, you do 4, N, f+2, d+4.

2. For two-hitting strings, you use the so-called "plinking" method. For example, in order to cancel f+2,1 to bite, you do 4~f+2,1~d+4 as a quick succession.

3. For three-hitting strings, you swipe in between the string, usually the last hit. For example, in order to cancel 1,2,3 to bite, you do 1~2~4~3~d+4 as a quick succession.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
What are the properties of Zod's hand-push move? Is it considered a projectile or a mid-hitting normal? Can it be parried? How does it work from the start of the animation to the finish?

Can the move be stuffed on its start up? What is its actual start-up frames and recovery?

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
You have to kara-cancel the swipe of the trait.

1. For one-hitting moves, you swipe first, wait a very short period, press the command and tap and hold d+4. For example, in order to cancel f+2 to bite, you do 4, N, f+2, d+4.

2. For two-hitting strings, you use the so-called "plinking" method. For example, in order to cancel f+2,1 to bite, you do 4~f+2,1~d+4 as a quick succession.

3. For three-hitting strings, you swipe in between the string, usually the last hit. For example, in order to cancel 1,2,3 to bite, you do 1~2~4~3~d+4 as a quick succession.
You can use the 2nd method for 3-hit strings too.

ie. F213D4(Hold) , 4123D4(Hold) , 4213D4(Hold)

M2Dave

Zoning Master
What are the properties of Zod's hand-push move? Is it considered a projectile or a mid-hitting normal? Can it be parried? How does it work from the start of the animation to the finish?

Can the move be stuffed on its start up? What is its actual start-up frames and recovery?
- 13 frames of start up
- -5 on block
- techable knock down on hit
- awfully punishable on whiff
- cannot be parried
- can be stuffed with MB b+3 and fast normal attacks on start up

Hades

Noob
i know its probably already been discussed but i really don't want to sift through 60 pages. so how do you guys get instant airs out consistently? because i can only get out maybe 1 in 10 and the rest are just doing jump 1's.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
i know its probably already been discussed but i really don't want to sift through 60 pages. so how do you guys get instant airs out consistently? because i can only get out maybe 1 in 10 and the rest are just doing jump 1's.
I use the MK control system and tap u,d,d/b,b+1. The motion requires time and practice.

Instant aerial Zod balls are not that useful in some match ups but almost required in some others if you want to win.

MrAvA

Smashing.
Ya IAZB are annoying to do it constantly especially on joystick. Wish NRS fixed the alternative controls scheme I hate punishing people with ZC instead of F2. If I could tiger knee IAZB I would be so happy.

Hades

Noob
I use the MK control system and tap u,d,d/b,b+1. The motion requires time and practice.

Instant aerial Zod balls are not that useful in some match ups but almost required in some others if you want to win.
Thank you so much. I was able to do 5 iazb's in a row which is a new record, honestly this helped a lot

NHDR

Noob
I'm going to try that input tonight! Honestly, my inability to do IAZB has frustrated me to the point of dropping Zod. It seems like an important part of his gameplan and I can't even do it (yet).

Colonel-Gilgamesh

Hates NRS for making me not like Superman
I'm going to try that input tonight! Honestly, my inability to do IAZB has frustrated me to the point of dropping Zod. It seems like an important part of his gameplan and I can't even do it (yet).
It's important about 20% of the time. Really, it's smarter to work on your trait game than your IAZB game. As a general rule anyways. As Dave said, It's generally not required or even needed in most matchups.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
is there any trick to doing instant air zod charge? i can get it alright on one side but i cant do it on the other, its like the inputs for instant airs don't respond as fast as they do in mk or something and i end up just getting a jump punch :/

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
Because the entire game revolves around simple mix ups, knowing the vortex is a necessity. Zod is primarily a zoning / run away character until trait is activated. Zod is arguably the most trait dependent character in the game. You have to know when to activate the trait safely in order to apply mix ups.

Speaking of mix ups, the most basic mix up is between f+2, a low attack, and bite, an overhead attack in trait that must be blocked standing. You can, for example, activate trait, perform a Zod charge to get in, tap 4 to make the charge safe, and do a 50/50 mix up between f+2,1,u+2 + combo or bite + combo. If f+2,1,u+2 is blocked, tap 4 to be safe. The bite is never safe on block, though.

You can also combo f+2 into bite by doing 4, N, f+2, d+4. "N" stands for "neutral" and requires you not to touch any buttons on the pad for a very short period. An example of an offensive combination could be performing a Zod charge to get in and then tapping 4, N, f+2, d+4 + combo.

In addition, the bite can be canceled into from a forward or back dash. You can take advantage of this cancel by doing a full screen mix up between far full charged low laser / dash canceled bite, or even up close after any string.

Your opponents will generally not want to play the guessing game, so they will use push block, which can be "punished" by tapping 4 in trait and immediately doing MB b+3 afterwards. The armor of the MB b+3 will absorb the "push" of the push block.
and that part about the pushblock confuses me, would they pushblock the phantom swipe and then u counter with mb b3?

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Can anyone tell me what I should know about zod's neutral game? I know the dash cancels with the lasers, combos, but what should I be doing if I don't have trait up?

Hey guys. I have a question about the Zod vs Sinestro matchup. I'm not trying to challenge opinions or cause any drama, but I'm wondering what makes this MU so bad for Zod? If I remember correctly Pig has it as 3-7 and Wound has it 4-6. Is it pretty much only Sinestro's trait and being punished heavily for a blocked trait grab?