What's new

Guide "I Love My Job" -- Deathstroke General Discussion Thread

Vagrant

Noob
one thing i have been utilizing a lot is a 123 hard knockdown as a finisher. depending on the juggle deterioration us get a dash cross of 2 (that makes almost all wakeups whiff) then free 50/50

the corner trait setups are indeed viable. the vortex is not legit.

http://www.testyourmight.com/threads/the-flying-ninja-vortex.32683/

Here's a setup that is built around 123 ender that Mikman put together. Don't know if you've seen it or not. I use it in specific matchups. Green Lanter, Joker, Raven, etc.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
G4S J360 i'm all for that , there's no need for numbers , just talk exensively about the specific things about those MUs like wakeup game , preferred distance , playing defensively / aggressive , what setups work relisticaly and and what not , i'd be cool to have said character good players to give their 2c on the matchup so we can have a different point of view too , many other forums have different approach to how to fight DS and something useful could spark from healthy discussions.

do you have skype crathen? , you too Vagrant

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
Yes but I'm in internet limbo right now. will be up and running soon.

ok cool, i like side projects like these and i think it will bring a few players from other forums into our discussions in a positive way. I used to be part of the TYM community character matchup chart which took place behind the scenes between the character mods. It was a great project but too many discussions took place at once making it hard to stick to one topic.

If we cover a character like bane first, we can invite people like doombawkz, max etc to join the discussions if they like, offering information they might have on our characters weaknesses and strengths from their side.

Vagrant

Noob
ok cool, i like side projects like these and i think it will bring a few players from other forums into our discussions in a positive way. I used to be part of the TYM community character matchup chart which took place behind the scenes between the character mods. It was a great project but too many discussions took place at once making it hard to stick to one topic.

If we cover a character like bane first, we can invite people like doombawkz, max etc to join the discussions if they like, offering information they might have on our characters weaknesses and strengths from their side.

This sounds like the best option, I support this idea.
Keep in mind we'll constantly be coming back to matchups as the meta evolves so what we may agree on on day X may not apply anymore on day Y

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
welcome to my 2 week DS beating yours 10-2. u asked me to contribute. im telling u what works in high level play.

again... this is why i hate posting bc every time u do... u have some scrub as online player saying its "their" tech and it should be named after them like a fucking dr finding a new disease.

sorry i didnt read 1000 pages and find a small post saying the one sentence of shit i just said.

ass hole

ITT: First page of a forum = 1000 pages

The fact that you have the audacity to come in here acting like this tech is new and exciting because you were too lazy to read some of the most major discussions (as in you'd have to be blind, deaf, and stupid to miss them), then claim to be better than everyone because you found it on your own is what makes me laugh here. Oh, and then you have to angrily respond with 3 posts.

Stop being lazy and pretending that everything posted here is garbage. People other than you ARE capable of finding dirty tech. And seriously, who are you? I haven't seen your massively impressive tournament record or major contributions to this community yet.

Anyhoo, back on topic, this Skype call matchup thing sounds legit. It sounds like something like that 1 hour long Grundy tutorial Pig did, and plans to do with all of the other characters (did they ever continue that project? I liked it). Except of course, this isn't simply covering character basics, but instead matchups. I say do it.

Vagrant

Noob
And seriously, who are you? I haven't seen your massively impressive tournament record or major contributions to this community yet.
He likes to talk some shit. Guys do it for confidence when they play. It's not new and you'll see it all the time in the FGC.

He also understands if you talk shit and you get blown up in match (Like when HAN blew his back out at UFGT after he talked shit about him) that you have to take your beating and swallow your pride.

That being said p2w has also done pretty damn well at the last two major tourneys with top 8 placements with sinestro. There is no discrediting that.

Filter out his flaming and trolling and take what useful information you can from his posts. Stop taking his shit talk seriously and it wont bug you.

ITT: First page of a forum = 1000 pages

The fact that you have the audacity to come in here acting like this tech is new and exciting because you were too lazy to read some of the most major discussions (as in you'd have to be blind, deaf, and stupid to miss them), then claim to be better than everyone because you found it on your own is what makes me laugh here. Oh, and then you have to angrily respond with 3 posts.
im confused.. where in my post did i say it was new tech. scrub

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
This sounds like the best option, I support this idea.
Keep in mind we'll constantly be coming back to matchups as the meta evolves so what we may agree on on day X may not apply anymore on day Y

That is true, i was waiting for this big patch to happen to start anything like this so that we won't have to revisit it unless new tech is found.

Anyhoo, back on topic, this Skype call matchup thing sounds legit. It sounds like something like that 1 hour long Grundy tutorial Pig did, and plans to do with all of the other characters (did they ever continue that project? I liked it). Except of course, this isn't simply covering character basics, but instead matchups. I say do it.

I don't know if they continued the project, it was awesome.

Mikman do you have skype?

I like to have a 4 man group at most to do things like this, you don't have to participate in it if you don't have time but it would be awesome if we could all get together once out of the week to put together a quick little dialogue over our findings.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
Yes. They're like 3 or 4 chars in I think.

Oh legit. I've gotta keep up with those better. I didn't even like Grundy and I found the video interesting.

That is true, i was waiting for this big patch to happen to start anything like this so that we won't have to revisit it unless new tech is found.

I don't know if they continued the project, it was awesome.

Mikman do you have skype?

I like to have a 4 man group at most to do things like this, you don't have to participate in it if you don't have time but it would be awesome if we could all get together once out of the week to put together a quick little dialogue over our findings.

I do actually. Try adding mikman360, and if that doesn't work, message me and I'll give you my real name to add. Just lemme know when you plan on doing this stuff.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
Oh legit. I've gotta keep up with those better. I didn't even like Grundy and I found the video interesting.

I do actually. Try adding mikman360, and if that doesn't work, message me and I'll give you my real name to add. Just lemme know when you plan on doing this stuff.

i would like to start next week, I would like to go over tough matchups first though.

Which character do you guys suggest we start with? And does it rhyme with Tod?

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
I think writeups could end up being better and easier than videos if you guys do this. If the matchup changes due to new tech found or an evolving metagame, its WAY easier to go back and update a post than it is to redo a video.

In particular, for sections of something like this, something that is often missing (and that I used to do in my own FAQs when I wrote in-depth ones for Tekken) is to put LAST UPDATED: 10/31/2013 at the beginning of a section, so people at least know how old the information is.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
i would really like you guys to talk about frost. i actually disagree with how people approach this matchup and dont think its really all that bad but i would be interested in hearing your opinions

Skkra

As a noob, my recommendations for first discussion, since I run into them a lot online at least (in my whole 3 days of playing again haha):
- Doomsday
- Green Lantern
- Superman

I am going to try and see what around the Philly area I can find to attend in real life. I'd like to level up and try to help facilitate some meaningful discussion around here, but right now I'm basically in zero position to contribution anything of value. =(

Skkra

come to NEC dude!
Oh, I'll be there of course... I go to all of the majors around the area. I'm just going to try and find a real-life group that maybe meets weekly or every other week to try and get some consistent offline experience. Sadly I don't have enough time to practice/play more than that anymore because being an adult is stupid. But I'll definitely be at NEC grinding with anyone who wants to wreck me!

Crathen

Death is my business
I think it's ok starting with Zod , i'll put more labwork on it and explain my findings.

Personally i'd say to do this after 10th october to have some time labbing it , then let's pick a day / time where most of us are available for this.

It doesn't need to be perfect it's more a brainstorming about how to approach the matchups.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
I think writeups could end up being better and easier than videos if you guys do this. If the matchup changes due to new tech found or an evolving metagame, its WAY easier to go back and update a post than it is to redo a video.

In particular, for sections of something like this, something that is often missing (and that I used to do in my own FAQs when I wrote in-depth ones for Tekken) is to put LAST UPDATED: 10/31/2013 at the beginning of a section, so people at least know how old the information is.

Each thread will have The write ups of pros and cons, and a video to accompany whats written

I played a very long set with m2daves Zod. Speaking from my general thoughts on the matchup, I think DS can hang in there with him pretty damn well. Low gunshots when Zod shoots you, air gunshots to hit his air forceballs. One of the very important things is when Zod has trait out, he loves to do a far ground laser(if you're full screen) fake out and then trait grab. The easiest way to react to this is to look for the fakeout, as in continuing to block, and if its held for a long time and you have the timing down block low and then high as quickly as you can. Usually I try to throw out gunshots in between missed trait hits and trait grab, but only dependent on how much time their trait has left and how expecting of it they are. Up close, however, the best tips I can give are to always stay in Zods face. Do as many stage interactable combos based on either a B2 starter or a B1 starter. I also use cross up J3 as a starter for some pretty heavy damage. I save as much meter as I can against him, because while deathstroke has pretty decent meterless damage throwing a mb B3 into a stage combo can mean a lot of difference. Baiting the Zod charge wake up is very important, as its punishable but you have to be quick. Don't abuse F3 too much, meter burning it can be useful but also a waste if wake up Zod charge passes under you. Jumping back when expecting a Zod charge is very helpful as well. Just to keep up with Zods heavy damage game, while staying in his face I try to throw in bounce cancel combos. B1 xx mb F3 cancel and B2 mb F3 cancel is helpful because if they happen to block it you're at advantage to stay in his face and keep him guessing. Also, the trait setups. I love doing cross up J3 , 323 , F2 transition and activate trait. Zod generally gets trigger happy with his Charge and you bait the wakeup for 132 starter or an unblockable 132. Not sure how valuable all of this is to you guys, this is just how I played against him. I wanted to constantly keep him guessing instead of throwing out the typical things Deathstroke does. And it worked lol. Please anyone share thoughts and suggestions or even talk about the negatives towards my thoughts, that'd be very helpful. Hope I've helped out at least a little bit towards the Zod matchup

G4S Silent Jay

I enjoy hurting you.
i would really like you guys to talk about frost. i actually disagree with how people approach this matchup and dont think its really all that bad but i would be interested in hearing your opinions

To be fair, if I'm not mistaken, the Frosts you probably play against most are Leo and Masta CJ. And not to even be an ass, they both kinda suck with Frost, ISF_AWG_Indecisive had/has a better frost than both of them, and well... He mains Shazam now. Not to mention, I know for a fact Leo can't play the DS MU well after the sets I've run with him. 20-8 last time we played... And I don;t think DS bodies Frost.

If we could honestly give legit Frost players a chance to play against legit DS players offline, maybe the MU would be a lot more clear. I still think Frost has the edge, but I also have experience that only promotes the opposite idea