What's new

I Dropped My Main And This Is Why

JesterSMX

It's too laggy to poke...
I'm on PS4 man...

with +7 hat the problem is that when you have a bar i have to 100% bait the armour after spending my own to get those plus frames.. basically the mindgame is kinda in your favour cause you just have to read if I'm gonna bait it or I'm gonna commit to pressure, whilst i have to mind more stuff cause you're not always 100% spending a bar when you have it, it's situaltional... so if you think im gonna bait it it's free pressure for you and my turn is over, if you think I'm gonna commit you just armour
Non ex hat is safe right? You can turn the tables by saving your meter and learn their habits after hat. If they press buttons you can armor and if they don't you continue pressure. I'm having the hardest time understanding why people are dropping Lao. It's hard to alter a gameplan so I get it but Lao mains are acting like their character is shit and I don't get that.

Fellow_Swordsman

"One mind, one blade."
I dropped Kenshi about 3 hours ago after playing him since release. The last patch notes removed any doubt from my mind that NRS doesn't care about Kenshi in the slightest. At this point I'm honestly sick of my own bitching and don't want my salt to turn me into a crappy person for the rest of the games life. Tomorrow is a new day for me, not 100% on who I will play but the most appealing to least appealing candidates that I would be willing to play are:

1. Shinnok (All variants)
2. Tremor (Crystal and AShock)
3. Ermac (MoS)
Well that sucks :,( Lol I mained Quan since day 1 (still have him as a pocket character), but I ended up having more fun Kenshi, an have started maining him since like about a month ago. I'm a loyal swordsman now.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Since they butchered my main, I feel like I will start using Jason (loved him even pre-buffs). PC version is about to get MKXL announcment tomorrow so good bye Tremor and hello Jason.
The nice thing about Jason is that he's always been hella fun. So, with him being decent now, you really have nothing to worry about.

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
My only TRUE main has always been D'vorah. Never once thought about dropping her even after they fucked our cancels. Alien is so much fun and he is another character i will likely never drop. I love these monsters

Olcadan13

mkx apologist
Tremor is actually abysmal now, NRS took away both of his main tools for literally no reason, unplayable now

WiseM0nkey

welcome to the ButtSlam
Non ex hat is safe right? You can turn the tables by saving your meter and learn their habits after hat. If they press buttons you can armor and if they don't you continue pressure. I'm having the hardest time understanding why people are dropping Lao. It's hard to alter a gameplan so I get it but Lao mains are acting like their character is shit and I don't get that.
you cant armour after normal hat cause you have no hat... plus -3 it's not your turn unless they try to cpoke you with highs

JerzeyReign

PSN: JerzeyReign
I dropped Mileena for a month or so as I bought an arcade stick and couldn't get used to using her with it. Despite spending all of my lab time on Jacqui during that time, I still fought in locals with Mileena so I guess it doesn't really qualify as a drop. In the end I dropped the stick (and Jacqui) to go back to Mileena and my pad.

I was a MoS Ermac main from day 1 and dropped him due to boredom. Bounced around characters for a long time while having him as a pocket char. Now I'm back to being a Ermac loyalist and can't be happier. Mained sektor and noob in mk9. Grundy and black Adam in INJ.

I think alot of people will drop their character temporarily due to boredom of having so much time invested in them, but most of the time they return or keep the character on the side.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I'm never dropping Quan Chi. :) I mean...he may call in some REVENANTS for backup every now and then...but he's still the star of the show.

Somea2V

Thread Referee
This is going to sound odd, and I get that I'll likely get flamed and called out for a moron or what not, but I ended up dropping Cage due to the community's opinion.

To put it simply, I've always thought Cage was solid and could fight anyone. I enjoyed putting in work with him, getting the run cancels down and figuring out how to handle different characters with his tools. I never once said he was low tier or argued for such madness. Hell, the worst I ever thought of him was that he was middle of the pack at the beginning of the game due to the attention everyone placed on safe 50/50s. Since then, as I grew to understand him and the game's meta, he's just been rising and rising in opinion.

The problem is the split in opinion. I don't think he's top five. It's nothing to do with downplaying or denying his strong tools. It's just that such a status as top five/three/one/whatever doesn't exist in a vacuum. He has strong tools and can fight anyone. But his tools are fairly one dimensional and it just seems like there are a handful of characters that have more versatile tool sets and can get more mileage off of their tools for less effort, between setups, damage, pressure, mix-ups, etc. (Two tangential points: First, I haven't seen the new patch so he likely could've floated to the top with further adjustments to characters. Second, execution shouldn't be a barrier for viability but to think that a maneuver which is easy and less likely to be screwed up in the heat of battle is equal in viablity to a more execution-heavy maneuver is a little silly.)

But the problem is I'm wrong. It's not a matter of opinion or discourse or what-have-you. I'm just wrong. Anyone who questions his placement as top 5 have been thoroughly shit on and put on blast and decried as the worst downplayers and community since Sub-zero or before. And this ruins it for me. I don't flock to top tiers. I honestly play the characters I like. And Cage is about the only character I like in this entire game. But apparently, it's just impossible for me to comprehend is super-awesome-top-tier status and my opinion will always get shit on and ignored. And because of this, my wins always feel hollow. When I lose with Cage, I can only think of how god-awful I am at this game. When I win, it's because of the character I downplay. I can no longer enjoy him because my pride has been broken.

And so now, I don't really play anymore. I've done this in the past, handicapped myself to insure my victories come only from my skill. But I can't really find a low-tier character to play because none of them are interesting to me.

There. Rant(?) over. That's why I dropped my main. Go ahead and flame me for being a braindead downplayer. It'll never be as annoying as how fucking inept I am at understanding the one character I enjoy.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
Recap of why im frustrated about my Favorite Character.
  • Triborg - 1 is now +12 on hit (down from 19) Nerf
  • Triborg - 1,1 is now +9 on hit (down from 19) Nerf
  • Triborg - 1,1,1 is now +15 on hit (down from 17) Nerf
  • Triborg - F+1 is now +13 on hit (down from 20) Nerf
  • Triborg - 2 is now +14 on hit (down from 19) Nerf
  • Triborg - F+3 is now +15 on hit (down from 20) Nerf
  • Triborg - 2,1 is now +17 on hit (down from 24) Nerf
  • Triborg - 2,1,3 is now -1 on block (down from -6) Slight Buff
  • Triborg - 3 is now +12 on hit (down from 29) Nerf
  • Triborg - B+3 now has 15 startup frames (up from 11) Nerf
  • Triborg - D+3 is now +12 on hit (down from 18) Nerf
  • Triborg - 4 is now +12 on hit (down from 17) Nerf
11 Nerfs to Triborg in all variants and one slight buff
  • Triborg (CyberZero) - F+2 will no longer sometimes be missing it’s hit regions when canceled into from a run Nerf
  • Triborg (CyberZero) - Ice Ball now has 26 startup frames (up from 21) Nerf
  • Triborg (CyberZero) - reduced the stun frames on Ice Ball by 13 Nerf
  • Triborg (Cyrax) - Shrapnel-Port now has armor, does 5 more damage, and causes a different reaction on the 2nd hit Nerf and slight buff
  • Triborg (Cyrax) - reduced the stun frames on Net & Advanced Net by 30 Nerf
overall outcome was 2 nerfs to cyrax
  • Triborg (Smoke) - will no longer be invisible for some frames when 2in1 cancelling B+2,1 or F+2,1 into some background interactions Slight Nerf
  • Triborg (CyberZero) - doing Drone summon while in a combo adds some combo damage scaling Nerf
  • Triborg (CyberZero) - doing Dive Kick while in a combo adds some combo damage scaling Nerf
  • Triborg (Cyrax) - doing Bomb or Hover Bomb while in a combo adds some combo damage scaling Ultra Nerf
  • Triborg (Cyrax) - Net & Advanced Net will now miss-fire out if a Bomb or Hover Bomb has hit in the same combo Ultra Nerf
  • Triborg (Cyrax) - Hover Bomb will now miss-fire after 3 Hover Bombs have hit in the same combo ultra Nerf
  • Triborg (Cyrax) - Bomb will now miss-fire after 3 Bombs have hit in the same combo Nerf(ultra)
  • Triborg (Cyrax) - adjusted 2,1,2 to prevent all 4 hits from being forced to be blocked against some characters Nerf

• Triborg (Smoke) - reduced the initial damage of Smoke Cloud & Smoke Bomb by 2 and increased the drop damage by 2 Nerf
  • Triborg (Smoke) - doing Dissipate & Evaporate while in a combo adds some combo damage scaling Nerf
  • Triborg (Smoke) - Doing Fade-Port & Smoke-Port while in a combo adds some combo damage scaling Nerf
  • Triborg (Smoke) - Smoke Bomb is now +5 on block (down from +8) Nerf
Triborg universal Nerfs to all Robots, and will greatly effect each of thier gameplan = 11

Cyrax = 7 game changing nerfs, (18 when you count universal) Cyrax got Ultra nerfs which greatly effects combos, and general gameplay in a Devastating way.

Cyber Sub Zero = 5 Nerfs (16 when you count universal nerfs)

Smoke = 5 Nerfs (16 when you count universal nerfs)

obviously Triborg got hit hard this patch, and has nearly lost all viablity, there may be some hope, but it seems with no capability to use main combo extender (Net for Cyrax) will greatly castrate his
Combo diversity and limit Damge, openers, and safety in neutral.

this is why i hate casuals, because they have no clue how to Lab anything, or refuse to. the reset should be removed, but the HTB's where fine. all you had to do was Backdash, jump or Armor out(was not hard)
not only is my favorite Robot unable to juggle into good damage now, but full screen combos have been removed, HTB's have been almost completely removed, and many other juggle tools have been removed. and his already bad Neutral has gotten even worse on top of losing his opening tools.

I won't drop Cyrax but im tempted. before i drop him i would quit the game. he was what made it fun. honestly Cyrax is not Cyrax anymore.

He didn't get tools nerfed he got his IQ nerfed.

He is now forever known as Autistic Cyrax from now on.

this was the equivalent of Mileena roll not comming out during Combo!

or Lao spin not working in combo.

or Jax Gothcha grab not working in combo.

you get where im going with this.

all these characters could still do damge without the moves but its completely unfair to take away a main source of juggle or extender during combo, just to adress a reset. they could have simply made it knock em down on drop from net. only reason you could reset was because they restand after net drop.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
Recap of why im frustrated about my Favorite Character.
  • Triborg - 1 is now +12 on hit (down from 19) Nerf
  • Triborg - 1,1 is now +9 on hit (down from 19) Nerf
  • Triborg - 1,1,1 is now +15 on hit (down from 17) Nerf
  • Triborg - F+1 is now +13 on hit (down from 20) Nerf
  • Triborg - 2 is now +14 on hit (down from 19) Nerf
  • Triborg - F+3 is now +15 on hit (down from 20) Nerf
  • Triborg - 2,1 is now +17 on hit (down from 24) Nerf
  • Triborg - 2,1,3 is now -1 on block (down from -6) Slight Buff
  • Triborg - 3 is now +12 on hit (down from 29) Nerf
  • Triborg - B+3 now has 15 startup frames (up from 11) Nerf
  • Triborg - D+3 is now +12 on hit (down from 18) Nerf
  • Triborg - 4 is now +12 on hit (down from 17) Nerf
11 Nerfs to Triborg in all variants and one slight buff
  • Triborg (CyberZero) - F+2 will no longer sometimes be missing it’s hit regions when canceled into from a run Nerf
  • Triborg (CyberZero) - Ice Ball now has 26 startup frames (up from 21) Nerf
  • Triborg (CyberZero) - reduced the stun frames on Ice Ball by 13 Nerf
  • Triborg (Cyrax) - Shrapnel-Port now has armor, does 5 more damage, and causes a different reaction on the 2nd hit Nerf and slight buff
  • Triborg (Cyrax) - reduced the stun frames on Net & Advanced Net by 30 Nerf
overall outcome was 2 nerfs to cyrax
  • Triborg (Smoke) - will no longer be invisible for some frames when 2in1 cancelling B+2,1 or F+2,1 into some background interactions Slight Nerf
  • Triborg (CyberZero) - doing Drone summon while in a combo adds some combo damage scaling Nerf
  • Triborg (CyberZero) - doing Dive Kick while in a combo adds some combo damage scaling Nerf
  • Triborg (Cyrax) - doing Bomb or Hover Bomb while in a combo adds some combo damage scaling Ultra Nerf
  • Triborg (Cyrax) - Net & Advanced Net will now miss-fire out if a Bomb or Hover Bomb has hit in the same combo Ultra Nerf
  • Triborg (Cyrax) - Hover Bomb will now miss-fire after 3 Hover Bombs have hit in the same combo ultra Nerf
  • Triborg (Cyrax) - Bomb will now miss-fire after 3 Bombs have hit in the same combo Nerf(ultra)
  • Triborg (Cyrax) - adjusted 2,1,2 to prevent all 4 hits from being forced to be blocked against some characters Nerf

• Triborg (Smoke) - reduced the initial damage of Smoke Cloud & Smoke Bomb by 2 and increased the drop damage by 2 Nerf
  • Triborg (Smoke) - doing Dissipate & Evaporate while in a combo adds some combo damage scaling Nerf
  • Triborg (Smoke) - Doing Fade-Port & Smoke-Port while in a combo adds some combo damage scaling Nerf
  • Triborg (Smoke) - Smoke Bomb is now +5 on block (down from +8) Nerf
Triborg universal Nerfs to all Robots, and will greatly effect each of thier gameplan = 11

Cyrax = 7 game changing nerfs, (18 when you count universal) Cyrax got Ultra nerfs which greatly effects combos, and general gameplay in a Devastating way.

Cyber Sub Zero = 5 Nerfs (16 when you count universal nerfs)

Smoke = 5 Nerfs (16 when you count universal nerfs)

obviously Triborg got hit hard this patch, and has nearly lost all viablity, there may be some hope, but it seems with no capability to use main combo extender (Net for Cyrax) will greatly castrate his
Combo diversity and limit Damge, openers, and safety in neutral.

this is why i hate casuals, because they have no clue how to Lab anything, or refuse to. the reset should be removed, but the HTB's where fine. all you had to do was Backdash, jump or Armor out(was not hard)
not only is my favorite Robot unable to juggle into good damage now, but full screen combos have been removed, HTB's have been almost completely removed, and many other juggle tools have been removed. and his already bad Neutral has gotten even worse on top of losing his opening tools.

I won't drop Cyrax but im tempted. before i drop him i would quit the game. he was what made it fun. honestly Cyrax is not Cyrax anymore.

He didn't get tools nerfed he got his IQ nerfed.

He is now forever known as Autistic Cyrax from now on.

this was the equivalent of Mileena roll not comming out during Combo!

or Lao spin not working in combo.

or Jax Gothcha grab not working in combo.

you get where im going with this.

all these characters could still do damge without the moves but its completely unfair to take away a main source of juggle or extender during combo, just to adress a reset. they could have simply made it knock em down on drop from net. only reason you could reset was because they restand after net drop.

It's not about the amount of nerfs, it's about the quality of the nerfs.

Cyber Sub got trucked by Paulo because the changes to most strings' hit advantage combined with slower startup on iceball makes it so iceball links in very few things now. This includes F13, which was an insanely good way to punish things with Cyber Sub. Now, he has a LOT more problems punishing and whiff punishing.

Cyrax getting nerfed is also a very big thing. He also got trained over by Paulo and seems to have gotten from top 5 to mid tier.

Again, it's not about the quantity of the nerfs, it's the quality. In this case, the quality is high as balls though.

darth_infamous

#InfamousXO
I dropped Kenshi about 3 hours ago after playing him since release. The last patch notes removed any doubt from my mind that NRS doesn't care about Kenshi in the slightest. At this point I'm honestly sick of my own bitching and don't want my salt to turn me into a crappy person for the rest of the games life. Tomorrow is a new day for me, not 100% on who I will play but the most appealing to least appealing candidates that I would be willing to play are:

1. Shinnok (All variants)
2. Tremor (Crystal and AShock)
3. Ermac (MoS)
If you liked Kenshi, you might try out Mystic Ermac. MoS is good too. Tremor got his final nerf in this patch and he's pretty much done. All Tremor mains I've seen are abandoning ship.

Perdition

Your friendly neighborhood cynic
NRS over did it with the nerfs on Tremor. I actually considered dropping him because they completely changed the feel. When you have a character that you can flow with, and have the timing for, it really hurts when you have to re learn your approach after so much hard work.

But the fact is Tremor has become my new favorite character in the MK franchise, so I will figure it out. I just feel bad for the Tremor players with tournament aspirations. Odds were not good for you pre nerfs with Tremor, now we have no chance in hell.

NRS changing their games so much is the only reason I do not bother with the competitive scene. NRS goes too far with their changes.

Espio

Kokomo
I've just never dropped a main character before even when they've gotten nerfed (i.e. Jade in MK9 and she was never truly godlike anyway). Relearning and refining characters is part of the draw for me, it's usually fun.

I played Goro and Kitana when they were terrible and they have periodically received nerfs (alongside their buffs), but even if they did get reverted back to their old states, I'd still only use them because I just honestly don't like anyone else on the current roster play style wise or design wise to trump either of them.

Last edited:

Zabru

My blade is broken damn right better than yours!
If you liked Kenshi, you might try out Mystic Ermac. MoS is good too. Tremor got his final nerf in this patch and he's pretty much done. All Tremor mains I've seen are abandoning ship.
Yeah I didn't see the Tremor change in the patch to up rock so he is no longer a valid choice for me. Also after doing a but of research I like the depth Mystic has over MoS and I'm not really sold on Shinnok as BS seems kinda bad right now.

Probs between Mystic and Imposter.

Fayaz

Superman and I disagree
I've only actually mained Erron, and I think the only thing that would make me stop playing him is if 21122 got changed. In any way. It's possibly the best string in the game (or used to be before XL) and they always balance him around that now. So as long as they balance AROUND 21122 and not directly hit that string, I will keep playing him.

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
How are we suppose to be taken as the hardcore crowd, when we can't let a character develop along with strategies to beat them? None of that in our community, lets just kill off a character becuase so-so deem them to hard to beat. I blame the threads I've seen that claim them to be broken.

BowsersDad

Low tier
How are we suppose to be taken as the hardcore crowd, when we can't let a character develop along with strategies to beat them? None of that in our community, lets just kill off a character becuase so-so deem them to hard to beat. I blame the threads I've seen that claim them to be broken.
People catch a couple losses to a character and instead of labbing or analyzing the match ups and their own fight strategy, they come on here and look for other people to bitch about it with.