What's new

I Dropped My Main And This Is Why

Zionix

AKA Ponkster
Don't let my analogy fool you, what I just described is how people see the balance. It's not about individual viability to a lot of them, its about relative viability.
Even if their character was godly and had infinite blockstrings and all of that jazz, if there is a better character, people will compare themselves alongside them. If they fall short of that mark, then regardless of how "good" their character may be, they will not seem "good enough".

In a lot of ways, that's the reason people freaked out about Bane in Injustice. Up until that point, he was perfectly viable and powerful in his own rights, but simply not "as good" as Superman and the others.
In comes the nerfs, and although Bane didn't actually increase in power much at all, he seemed to come leaps and bounds into that patch because everyone around him was brought down while he was slightly risen.

He went from a top 15-20 character to a top 5 discussion character simply because his power relative to other characters had increased, not so much that his individual character got better. Everyone else simply got worse.

I assure you, I give your conversation and point a lot of respect. You've earned it from me as a forum-goer and as a person. I'm simply stating that from the other perspective, their characters tools aren't the focus. It's fallacious, it's terribly faulty logic at its core, but its the driving idealism behind a lot of the complaints people give.
i love this post.

oaoo94

Owner of HAZARDOUS Gaming
none of my characters got nerfed surprisingly. Shinnok is even more God like. Mystic is finally playable, Kano got necessary fixes in commando and commando, AND Kotal Kahn's Pizza eats projectiles lol. The only character I'm picking up that got nerfed is Johnny. But even he only got a slap on the wrist lol.

Santa_Destroyer

Blood n' cigs' PSN: Santa_Destroyer
I've rotated characters frequently, but my first and only drop I'd really consider was Cassie.

Ever since I started MKX, it was my goal to learn and main Cassie. Her personality, hair, outfit, voiceover, it all just screamed a character for me.

Countless upon countless lab hours trying to get the run cancel down after flip kick. And countless upon countless hours for all her other stuff, losing a ridiculous number of games. Then finally, I felt comfortable enough with her to call her my main. It was actually kind of a sense of pride because I never took fighting games seriously and I felt I mastered running mid-combo and Cassie's execution early. Initially I focussed on Brawler, then transitioned to Hollywood cause people said it was better and then finally decided I love Spec Ops. Played in a few online tournaments I found and did decently, and nobody else used the variation, I loved it.

Problem was, I got bored. No one knew the matchup so I could run gimmicks all day and steal games. I never learned a proper neutral, I just learned how to run up, throw out a 50/50 into EX flipkick and setup an overhead/low after. I rarely played defensive and never learned how to because she basically had the touch of death. I felt like I never learned anything playing as her, so I went back to hollywood. By that time though Hollywood was the same, only now I nutpunched instead of a hard-to-blockable and the execution was easier (outside of IAG).

Since then I've bounced around the whole cast, but I think it might be finally time I go back given the robot balls that were just neutered off my flair (funny cause my last comment was how I thought the nerfs weren't bad... well that was when we only knew of 2, not the 18 in the patch notes).
Yh Same here.
I play a bunch of characters but Kotal will be always my nr 1.
I started out with Kotal cuz he was just that behemoth of a character and the voiceactor did a great job.

Like most Kotal players I started out with War God, but soon felt the boredom of his strong but simple gameplan.
Then I discovered Blood God.

Once I landed a 114 dmg totem into a parry read and punished him for like 90% dmg, I just knew he was my go to.

Most ppl I play online don't know the MU all that well and when I conditioned them that 114 air grab is +, they think everything into air grab is + lol.
So I can smother them endlessly with his pressure.

Def totem also helps to minimize the problems of not having an armored reversal.

He's the perfect fit for me, I like the character and the gameplay (although he sucked in the story, but who didn't #eunuchquan)

WiseM0nkey

welcome to the ButtSlam
Do you play on Xbox or PS4? I find the +7 EX hat nerf to be very overrated, maybe I'll agree with you if I can fight a good Tempest and see how it has changed him.
I'm on PS4 man...

with +7 hat the problem is that when you have a bar i have to 100% bait the armour after spending my own to get those plus frames.. basically the mindgame is kinda in your favour cause you just have to read if I'm gonna bait it or I'm gonna commit to pressure, whilst i have to mind more stuff cause you're not always 100% spending a bar when you have it, it's situaltional... so if you think im gonna bait it it's free pressure for you and my turn is over, if you think I'm gonna commit you just armour

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
I'm on PS4 man...

with +7 hat the problem is that when you have a bar i have to 100% bait the armour after spending my own to get those plus frames.. basically the mindgame is kinda in your favour cause you just have to read if I'm gonna bait it or I'm gonna commit to pressure, whilst i have to mind more stuff cause you're not always 100% spending a bar when you have it, it's situaltional... so if you think im gonna bait it it's free pressure for you and my turn is over, if you think I'm gonna commit you just armour
Well I play Raiden so any attempt at me armoring you can low profile with d4 lol.

For real though, point taken. It's still pretty much a read for both of us on whether or not you'll commit.

Zionix

AKA Ponkster
can a kenshi main tell me what buffs he needs to be viable?

i dont know what they could change without making him too strong.

omooba

fear the moobs
This isn't a troll question but how exactly did going from +12 to +7 affect your gameplan enough to drop Lao after putting in a significant amount of time learning him?
since lao is only +7 if you mash d3 you're not risking much. Most d3's low profile f2 so it's like I'm spending a bar to be plus but my reward ratio is like maybe I'll get a d4?

Doctor Rektangle

Think outside the Box
If Ed Boon has taught you anything. Play the BIG GUY with DBF Command Grabs DAY 1. He may suck now... but he gone get the buffs he needed and then the buffs he didn't. Here's to Bane and F/T. Started from the Bottom now we're here

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
I did drop Special Forces Sonya as of the MKXL patch when you could no longer cancel drone call into a drone special and I started playing Konjurer Alien instead. Now they fixed it in the 29/3/16 patch she's my main again. :)

Wolverine32

PSN: ADM_Wolverine
I dropped both crystalline and aftershock once I saw how hard and inconsistent the OTG scaled. I knew the low shatter nerf was coming and was warranted whether I wanted to believe it or not. But the OTG nerfs were over done imo, not unjustified but absolutely over kill.

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
KP2 patch made me realize that buff or nerf I'm too lazy to change how I play a character, I've dropped Jason, Ferra/Torr, Shinnok, Takeda, Kitana, Lobo, Bane as soon as they got their buffs. Playing Sub Zero now who is basically untouched since I picked him up other than the unbreakable slide buff.

Last edited:

TamedLizard

Buff George
Reptile and Shinnok are still fine. So I'm good in the department of mains.

But Bo and CSZ are still loads of fun and it was the excitement of new characters and new content that bought me back to the game after an almost two month hiatus. I just wish I knew what Paulo knows (or knew) about BRC that we don't lol. Poor thing.

CSZ could have used some toning down, but a select few of the nerfs were overzealous imo.

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
I dropped Raiden after his Superman hitbox was reduced which was the last straw for me as I was already trying to work with his f1 being a high. After that, I eventually dropped him in favor of ninjutsu scorpion around September

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
Nerfs killed him overtime.

Not that I will ever drop him because I genuinely love my character, its just why can't my favorite characters just remain viable, makes no sense.

Skedar70

Noob
Most people drop characters because of Tier whoring. I have found most characters are good and they are only a couple that I would consider frustratingly weak(warrior predator) its just that some people want to have it easy or think that they will do well if they use a broken character. Once that broken character is normalized they move on to the next most broken thing.

JesterSMX

It's too laggy to poke...
If low chakram was worse than -10, people would just have to learn to hit confirm.

Still up kick and drop makes him lethal.
I was thinking about that too. 111, 221, and f24 wouldn't be hard and I kinda already do that but I rely on b12 a lot and under pressure I think it would get me in trouble.