What's new

I Dropped My Main And This Is Why

JesterSMX

It's too laggy to poke...
We are in new times with MK and with the release of MKXL and the latest patch, a lot of people are moving on from their original mains and this thread is to open up the conversation as to why?

Before the official patch notes came out I looked at my main's (Shaolin Kung Jin) frame data and noticed that ex chakram went from 0 on block to -10. The frame data was inaccurate but before several people made me aware of that, my first thoughts were I can't use him anymore... he's garbage... I'm dropping him... etc.

Ultimately it was for nothing but I would've considered dropping a character that I've spent dozens and dozens and dozens of hours learning and playing because of this one change. For the specific reason that ex chakram being 0 is burned into my brain and my decision making revolves around his safety. I think Shaolin could still be viable if he gave up his turn on blocked ex chakram but not if it could be full combo punished.

That is hypothetically why I WOULD drop Shaolin if the frame changes were accurate but my question to the community is what SPECIFICALLY made you drop your main?

Mostly curious about...

Kung Lao
Tanya
Cassie
Tremor
Liu Kang
Quan

KP2 chars don't really count for my question because the time commitment is drastically less than the characters mentioned above.

Thanks tym and I'm looking forward to the responses.

Last edited:

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I actually dropped Tanya before she was nerfed in the last patch. I found her playstyle uninteresting and found myself playing very predictably because I was bored. I started to play Pyro but her zoning isnt good enough to justify playing her. I could never get my execution on Naginata and I didnt feel that it would be worth the investment because she sucks anyway.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
I once dropped Warlock Quan because I once played against other good Quans. Basically I was always like 'I'm pretty much always unsafe, you're letting me get away with all this', but when I fought other Quans I realized that he's a pain in the butt to fight and that B2 is bullshit.

Anyway it made me gravitate back to Raiden. Now I'm back in the zone.

Edit: Fixed spelling errors I never noticed.

Last edited:

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I dropped Shinnok right after Bone Shaper (my main variation at the time) got buffed to being the best in the game.
My work was merely done there, and it was time to main other characters so they could get buffed as well.

Hence why Ferra/Torr has gotten way stronger lol

Generalbit

The blade of osh-tekk is stale.
I would drop kotal if any of the following happened:
B1 was -4 or worse
Put a gap in 114
Made saw blade full combo punishable
Made his d4 8 frames or slower without increasing hit adv.
S1 was - on block
Removed armor on db1 ex

Or god forbid, they took his paddle away altogether

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
We are in new times with MK and with the release of MKXL and the latest patch, a lot of people are moving on from their original mains and this thread is to open up the conversation as to why?

Before the official patch notes came out I looked at my main's (Shaolin Kung Jin) frame data and noticed that ex chakram went from 0 on block to -10. The frame data was inaccurate but before several people made me aware of that, my first thoughts were I can't use him anymore... he's garbage... I'm dropping him... etc.

Ultimately it was for nothing but I would've considered dropping a character that I've spent dozens and dozens and dozens of hours learning and playing because of this one change. For the specific reason that ex chakram being 0 is burned into my brain and my decision making revolves around his safety. I think Shaolin could still be viable if he gave up his turn on blocked ex chakram but not if it could be full combo punished.

That is hypothetically why I WOULD drop Shaolin if the frame changes were accurate but my question to the community is what SPECIFICALLY made you drop your main?

Mostly curious about...

Kung Lao
Tanya
Cassie
Tremor
Liu Kang

KP2 chars don't really count for my question because the time commitment is drastically less than the characters mentioned above.

Thanks tym and I'm looking forward to the responses.
EX Hat Trick main here, not sure if it counts because you are probably referring to Tempest. But I learned the character before there was much info out there on him, wasn't sure what he needed and what he didn't. After playing, the Hat Trick community noticed some key bugs and glitches and easily fixed inconsistency problems, as well as some key holes in his gameplay that needed fixing for him to be viable. But patch after patch again, seeing crowd favorites get buffed over and over while the variation and issues went ignored, eventually got me to pick a new main. I still played him casually every now and again, all the way up to the MKXL patch, where its been found that the character has been handed significant NERFS, almost unexplainably. Paulo's vision I guess.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
i dropped tempest lao due to getting more nerfs than he needed, +12 ex orbiting hat was fine...don't know why that needed to be nerfed.

after the recent patch, tho he's not my main, im now dropping CSZ as well :(

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Stopped playing Dragon's Fire Liu Kang because he became too tedious to play, and it was kinda annoying knowing he would be nerfed on each patch, IMO he was in a perfect place after the big September patch and the only thing that might've needed tweaking was his Flying Kick MB. He's still a good character in 'high-mid' tier but he's not as fun as he used to be, I can only imagine how Kung Lao players must feel like.

I GOT HANDS

i dropped tempest lao due to getting more nerfs than he needed, +12 ex orbiting hat was fine...don't know why that needed to be nerfed.

after the recent patch, tho he's not my main, im now dropping CSZ as well :(
there is a big difference, Tempest still strong and definitely in the top half of the cast at the very least, CSZ probably the worst character in the game

Just play Ferra/Torr.
Relish in the buffs.
As a CSZ player till today, I'm strongly considering it.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
I dropped Ermac, cause well, he wasnt meant to live in this game tbh. I was an Ermac main in MK9 and when i saw what they did to Mystic in this game, i was really sad. MoS is fun, but still, Ermac is not the same without his TKP, which is really funny cause i have heard that in the beta, Mystic was really solid, especially the Push.

ShArp

Dedicated Broly main
Since they butchered my main, I feel like I will start using Jason (loved him even pre-buffs). PC version is about to get MKXL announcment tomorrow so good bye Tremor and hello Jason.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
I switched my mains, I used to main Mileena but not I main Kitana. Mileena is definitely a better character but in the beta I played Assassin 24/7 and realized i have more fun with Kitana.

omooba

fear the moobs
there is a big difference, Tempest still strong and definitely in the top half of the cast at the very least, CSZ probably the worst character in the game
lil over dramatic
I dropped Ermac, cause well, he wasnt meant to live in this game tbh
considering the fact that this game extremely 50/50 heavy and ermac has the most damaging true 50/50 vortex i can't agree with that
I will drop Goro if they ever take away his frame advantage in dragon breath
And I mean one single frame because I am so fed up with this stupid crap....... honestly I'll probably drop the game and go back to KI
is he still that bad? seems decent to me but i don't play him much

for me i'll never stop playing liu kang no matter what they do as long as he still has the ability to runcancel even if the cancels were as bad as jax's
personally i never really drop a character. considering how often i play this game i can't stick to just one character and have fun. i do want to change my main though. if konjurer get's buffed i'll probably main alien

I GOT HANDS

lil over dramatic
it's really not, hes absolute trash now, if you think otherwise I suggest you spend some time in the lab. This is coming from an ex Hat Trick and Dualist main, I know the struggle. Believe me, CSZ would be crap in MK9 in his current state

The only notable drop I've had is D'Vorah. I let her go when they fucked her cancels up around CEO, and even when they fixed it I just didn't have the energy to learn her again. FBRC characters are such a bitch. Maybe I'll try to pick her up now that my Hitbox is here.

Actually, it's not a drop, but I swore up and down on here that I would co-main Bo' Rai Cho and I've hardly even attempted to pick him up. Does that count as a pseudo-drop? Because if he was godlike I would definitely be playing him right now.

omooba

fear the moobs
it's really not, hes absolute trash now, if you think otherwise I suggest you spend some time in the lab. This is coming from an ex Hat Trick and Dualist main, I know the struggle. Believe me, CSZ would be crap in MK9 in his current state
so a character with decent space control. and safe 1 bar 50/50's decent dmg with decent oki midscreen and in the corner is the worst character in the game? seriously? i've been playing him since launch and other than the ice ball nerf and a slight barely noticeable dmg nerf in the corner they literally haven't changed anything

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
so a character with decent space control. and safe 1 bar 50/50's decent dmg with decent oki midscreen and in the corner is the worst character in the game? seriously? i've been playing him since launch and other than the ice ball nerf and a slight barely noticeable dmg nerf in the corner they literally haven't changed anything
It doesn't seem bad on paper.

Until you realize the paper yours is written on is a bazooka bubble gum wrapper and the paper everyone elses' is written on is artisan crafted from ancient papyrus used by the great kings and blessed by the gods.

D

Deleted member 9158

I got bored with warlock quan, but I keep him in my pocket still. No salt, just boredom