What's new

I Dropped My Main And This Is Why

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
lmao bruh i'm trying to make a serious conversation
Don't let my analogy fool you, what I just described is how people see the balance. It's not about individual viability to a lot of them, its about relative viability.
Even if their character was godly and had infinite blockstrings and all of that jazz, if there is a better character, people will compare themselves alongside them. If they fall short of that mark, then regardless of how "good" their character may be, they will not seem "good enough".

In a lot of ways, that's the reason people freaked out about Bane in Injustice. Up until that point, he was perfectly viable and powerful in his own rights, but simply not "as good" as Superman and the others.
In comes the nerfs, and although Bane didn't actually increase in power much at all, he seemed to come leaps and bounds into that patch because everyone around him was brought down while he was slightly risen.

He went from a top 15-20 character to a top 5 discussion character simply because his power relative to other characters had increased, not so much that his individual character got better. Everyone else simply got worse.

I assure you, I give your conversation and point a lot of respect. You've earned it from me as a forum-goer and as a person. I'm simply stating that from the other perspective, their characters tools aren't the focus. It's fallacious, it's terribly faulty logic at its core, but its the driving idealism behind a lot of the complaints people give.

JesterSMX

It's too laggy to poke...
Since they butchered my main, I feel like I will start using Jason (loved him even pre-buffs). PC version is about to get MKXL announcment tomorrow so good bye Tremor and hello Jason.
Right now people are thinking either pc announcement or esl announcement. Joshua Gray tweeted out that he was going to have news to tell us later this morning. Joshua Gray is the esl mk guy so pc users might be left out.

JesterSMX

i dropped tempest lao due to getting more nerfs than he needed, +12 ex orbiting hat was fine...don't know why that needed to be nerfed.

after the recent patch, tho he's not my main, im now dropping CSZ as well :(
This isn't a troll question but how exactly did going from +12 to +7 affect your gameplan enough to drop Lao after putting in a significant amount of time learning him?

WATCHD0G

Noob
I have been dropping and picking up characters like a God damn whore....at this point i just dunno who to main anymore, any suggestions ppl?

JesterSMX

Quan for life.
Real talk... You sticking with Quan is one of the reasons I thought about why others are so quick to drop their characters. Top players boast that they make their character shine and not the other way around. Now people are saying their characters are crap and they look for the new top tier cheap shit. Good shit dink.

ShArp

Dedicated Broly main
Joshua Gray is the esl mk guy so pc users might be left out.
Really doubt it since Ed has been tweeting lots of hints towards PC stuff, like sales numbers, petition numbers etc. Even if it's ESL announcment tomorrow, I think we might get PC news soon aswell.

XxSYNDROISxX

For the Shokan since Mk3
lil over dramatic

considering the fact that this game extremely 50/50 heavy and ermac has the most damaging true 50/50 vortex i can't agree with that

is he still that bad? seems decent to me but i don't play him much

for me i'll never stop playing liu kang no matter what they do as long as he still has the ability to runcancel even if the cancels were as bad as jax's
personally i never really drop a character. considering how often i play this game i can't stick to just one character and have fun. i do want to change my main though. if konjurer get's buffed i'll probably main alien
He's mid at best

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Real talk... You sticking with Quan is one of the reasons I thought about why others are so quick to drop their characters. Top players boast that they make their character shine and not the other way around. Now people are saying their characters are crap and they look for the new top tier cheap shit. Good shit dink.
It pays to be loyal. You know them better than anyone else ever could. Sometimes it's hard through nerfs and such, but at the end of the day you never regret it.

JesterSMX

So ex chakram is -10? That is bad news. But I probably would still use him. The safe low starter which cost meter and had no armor is 1 reason why I would say Shaolin was better than Bojutsu.
Ex chakram is still 0 on block. Frame data change was an oversight. Paulo confirmed the move wasn't changed earlier on Brady's stream.

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
This isn't a troll question but how exactly did going from +12 to +7 affect your gameplan enough to drop Lao after putting in a significant amount of time learning him?
Dont mind him. He just cries on every occasion he can. Cried after Lao got nerfed although he is still viable, just don't have a GUARANTEED d4 after ex hat. Boo Hoo :(

myri

Time Warrior
Played Inferno Scorpion (I'm so sorry) when I was first learning the game then swapped to Tempest Lao after seeing DJT play him back at EVO and watching Foxy play him until he dropped him for Mileena. Still very fun playing the character even after the MKXL patch, I really don't think Tempest Lao is bad by any stretch, he's just different slightly, maybe not top tier like before but still really solid.

Either way I like playing him and I don't think I'll get bored of him anytime soon.

Arkane Slim

I did a lot but I never hated...
I dropped Jacqui by June because I personally feel NRS did not give the attention to detail with this character like they did other characters at the start of the game. Then there was the patch that would supposedly make her normal and they didn't even address things she needed. But NRS said on Twitter "Rejoice Jacqui players".....Rejoice over what?

All naysayers would talk about was the few positive things she had going for her.

Jacqui was destined to fail from the start...she seemed like she was the last character designed in the main cast and little attention was given to her to the point they didn't even know a normal move input (4U4) was left in the game. Even her alternate costume sucked..... i mean you literally just took the flak vest off to expose a tanktop and called it her alternate. No change in hairstyle...nothing....

I honestly couldn't enjoy this game playing her. I wanted to play Jacqui since reading the comics and main all three variations only to not enjoying her gameplay and finding others had a hard time with her as well. Now I main Sonya (all 3 variations, just how it should be). i commend all those that stuck with her from Day 1 until now. But I'm enjoying this game a bit more with Sonya Blade.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
EX Hat Trick main here, not sure if it counts because you are probably referring to Tempest. But I learned the character before there was much info out there on him, wasn't sure what he needed and what he didn't. After playing, the Hat Trick community noticed some key bugs and glitches and easily fixed inconsistency problems, as well as some key holes in his gameplay that needed fixing for him to be viable. But patch after patch again, seeing crowd favorites get buffed over and over while the variation and issues went ignored, eventually got me to pick a new main. I still played him casually every now and again, all the way up to the MKXL patch, where its been found that the character has been handed significant NERFS, almost unexplainably. Paulo's vision I guess.
What this quote said. We were just ignored, completely ignored, the Scar win against Sonic Fox didn't help either.

And the pain is real, you know you like the variation, but its mostly umplayable with what was left now, getting a hit with hat trick when related to hatarang HCB or blocked HCB is like playing a Slot machine.

Basically there is no guarantee you'll win because any conversion on Hit is randomized by the games mechanics, either you launch them, but they float too low, either you hit them, but your next guaranteed hit sometimes gets blocked due a bug, and that is just the bugs without counting in character balance.

stamatis

Όσα δε φτάνει η αλεπού. ........
We are in new times with MK and with the release of MKXL and the latest patch, a lot of people are moving on from their original mains and this thread is to open up the conversation as to why?

Before the official patch notes came out I looked at my main's (Shaolin Kung Jin) frame data and noticed that ex chakram went from 0 on block to -10. The frame data was inaccurate but before several people made me aware of that, my first thoughts were I can't use him anymore... he's garbage... I'm dropping him... etc.

Ultimately it was for nothing but I would've considered dropping a character that I've spent dozens and dozens and dozens of hours learning and playing because of this one change. For the specific reason that ex chakram being 0 is burned into my brain and my decision making revolves around his safety. I think Shaolin could still be viable if he gave up his turn on blocked ex chakram but not if it could be full combo punished.

That is hypothetically why I WOULD drop Shaolin if the frame changes were accurate but my question to the community is what SPECIFICALLY made you drop your main?

Mostly curious about...

Kung Lao
Tanya
Cassie
Tremor
Liu Kang

KP2 chars don't really count for my question because the time commitment is drastically less than the characters mentioned above.

Thanks tym and I'm looking forward to the responses.
If you are about to drop shaolin,what should I do with Bojutsu?

JesterSMX

Played Inferno Scorpion (I'm so sorry) when I was first learning the game then swapped to Tempest Lao after seeing DJT play him back at EVO and watching Foxy play him until he dropped him for Mileena. Still very fun playing the character even after the MKXL patch, I really don't think Tempest Lao is bad by any stretch, he's just different slightly, maybe not top tier like before but still really solid.

Either way I like playing him and I don't think I'll get bored of him anytime soon.
I'm kinda embarrassed about maining bojutsu the first couple months. It's all good.